Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 19th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D8 L5

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Newcastle?

Simon Mignolet
      0 (0%)
      Joe Gomez
      2 (2.9%)
      Dejan Lovren
      0 (0%)
      Joel Matip
      2 (2.9%)
      Alberto Moreno
      0 (0%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      1 (1.5%)
      Jordan Henderson
      6 (8.8%)
      Philippe Coutinho
      46 (67.6%)
      Mohammed Salah
      5 (7.4%)
      Sadio Mane
      0 (0%)
      Daniel Sturridge
      0 (0%)
      Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain
      1 (1.5%)
      Roberto Firmino
      0 (0%)
      Dominic Solanke
      5 (7.4%)

Total Members Voted: 67

Voting closed: Oct 05, 2017 06:25:54 pm

Newcastle United 1-1 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 33082 times
      green_bear
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,042 posts | 289 
      Re: LIVE: Newcastle v Liverpool - October 1st 16:30 GMT
      Reply #621: Oct 01, 2017 06:42:02 pm
      I watched the game.

I watched the discussion here, and then came out with those facts.

Sorry it doesn't fit the nonsense here.

Did you see how fu**ed he was in the second half. He would likely get injured playing two full games in a row. It's best for him and best for everybody else that he only comes off the bench.
      SM
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,583 posts | 400 
      Re: Newcastle United 1-1 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #622: Oct 01, 2017 06:46:14 pm
      Solanke looked sharper than Sturridge.

Gini again was no where nor was Hendo unless you count some nice 5 yard square passes.

Ox/Solanke must be worth a go soon not sure if the Manc game is the right one though but F**k me they can't do any worse can they?
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,989 posts | 516 
      Reply #623: Oct 01, 2017 06:47:10 pm
      The whole front 3 was crap.
      Sturridge w*nk. Similar performance to the Burnley game.
      Mane crap
      Salah - dear oh dear. Does he have lead on his foot? How poor were his touches?

I thought Salah played pretty well.

Sturridge and Mane were poor though.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #624: Oct 01, 2017 06:47:16 pm
      Did you see how fu**ed he was in the second half. He would likely get injured playing two full games in a row. It's best for him and best for everybody else that he only comes off the bench.

Anyone saying any different is deluding themselves. Players who lose pace or are tired go early on offside traps because they know they need to steal yards. Same as how he nearly got injured, his legs were just shot, he doesn't have the stamina for 90 minutes now. That's not game time, that's just a general level of fitness he clearly doesn't have, we're not in pre-season.

As for coming on as a sub, I think he has a good impact and the extra yard coming on fresh against tired legs gives you makes him look more like his old self and I think he'll still get a good few goals for us this season from off the bench.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,502 posts | 1647 
      • YNWA
      Reply #625: Oct 01, 2017 06:47:26 pm
      Sturridge missed a good chance, and generally wasn't great.
      In saying that, Mane beside him was worse and delivery in from Gomez poor.
      Didn't think Firmino did much when he came on, though Solanke did make an impression.

Don't think Studge not scoring proves we should've started Firmino - just proves that neither are in good goalscoring form right now.

AOC missed a decent headed chance and obviously isn't good enough to start or Jürgen would have him on. WTF?!?! 40mill :(

Bit at wits end right now, not because of the result today, but because we have given guys a chance, we've gone through our options, and this is the best we can come up with.
      alex1995
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,186 posts | 165 
      Reply #626: Oct 01, 2017 06:47:31 pm
      I wonder what the hell does Klopp do in training!
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #627: Oct 01, 2017 06:49:41 pm
      Didn't think Firmino did much when he came on, though Solanke did make an impression.

Makes me laugh this, the quality of our possession went up massively, the movement up top was so much better and we looked like we were really knocking on the door. Unfortunately Jürgen left it too late, Newcastle went into full time waste mode and then there were a few injuries.

If he'd have subbed them on at half-time or 10 minutes after I reckon we'd have scored a couple as both looked clear upgrades.
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,487 posts | 1490 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #628: Oct 01, 2017 06:50:31 pm
      As poor as we were, we are unlucky not to get all three points. Their goal was a bit freakish

Migs is too slow recycling the ball
      Gomez is a centre back trying to play in an attacking right-back role - and it shows
      Matip needs to be a bit more solid with his man marking and he is no leader
      Lovren's positional sense is poor and seems to spend as much time on the floor as he does standing up
      Moreno's positional sense is poor

I don't care which centre-back we buy but if they're not a leader who can organise, we'll still be in trouble

Henderson didn't control the midfield for me and was pretty anonymous
      Not as much as Wijnaldum though
      Coutinho needs to play for the full 90 minutes (that said, motm)

Mane, worst game for us, but he's excluded from criticism because he's consistently delivered for us up until today
      Sturridge has lost his pace and he's lost the fight in him - looks demoralised
      Salah, strange one, looks likely to score every game - as long as he gets about nine good chances; too wasteful

Solanke looks raw but did more in his short spell than Studge did all game
      Firmino looks great closing down and harassing, but I'm still not convinced he's a number 9
      Ox, actually feel a little sorry for the lad

Klopp, I think he got the subs right for the most part, but leaving it until the 84 minute to bring Ox on is another strange decision.

We don't seem to know how to defend. If the ball is hit into the box and we don't clear it first time of asking, you watch the defenders and they look shell-shocked, it's like they don't know where to stand, or who gets what job. Who goes to close down, who picks up the runners, nothing.

Not sorting out the defence in the summer is costing him. I'd love to see him play it cagey for a while. Don't think he knows how as it's not in his DNA.

And what's with the constant swapping of Moreno and Robertson?
      green_bear
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,042 posts | 289 
      Reply #629: Oct 01, 2017 06:52:39 pm
      For as much sh*t we've been giving Arsenal, they are now ahead of us in the league table as well.
      Continuing with this form and we can even forget about Europa League.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,502 posts | 1647 
      • YNWA
      Reply #630: Oct 01, 2017 06:53:12 pm
      Solanke looked sharper than Sturridge.

Was going to row in behind Danny and say that Newcastle defended well and really closed the space quickly ... but he had and chance in the 1st half, and a much better one in the 2nd half, and didn't convert. And if not converting, he's not giving a whole lot in general play.

Given the return from Firmino and Studge, personally would be willing to give Solanke a run... which doesn't say as much about Solanke being great, as it does about our striking options..

KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #631: Oct 01, 2017 06:53:13 pm
      https://twitter.com/AnfieldHQ/status/914548226451234817

Agree with Jürgen here, thought both his and Matip on the free-kick/corner earlier were both good shouts for pens.
      redindian
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,974 posts | 237 
      Reply #632: Oct 01, 2017 06:54:30 pm
      I thought Salah played pretty well.

Sturridge and Mane were poor though.

There was one good pass that he played to Mane initially and he did win a free kick in a good position that Coutinho couldn't turn into a better opportunity.

I can remember two golden opportunities when his touch let him down. One was when he was attacking on the right when his touch let him down that resulted in the defender saving the situation. The other was on the left when his touch let him down again.

6stringer
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,051 posts | 517 
      Reply #633: Oct 01, 2017 06:55:28 pm
      That was like watching a f**kin pantomime.

Cannot believe how sh*te that Newcastle team are !
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,502 posts | 1647 
      • YNWA
      Reply #634: Oct 01, 2017 06:56:24 pm
      Makes me laugh this, the quality of our possession went up massively, the movement up top was so much better and we looked like we were really knocking on the door. Unfortunately Jürgen left it too late, Newcastle went into full time waste mode and then there were a few injuries.

If he'd have subbed them on at half-time or 10 minutes after I reckon we'd have scored a couple as both looked clear upgrades.

Did we create a decent clear chance in the last 20 mins?
      The pattern of the game was the same all the way thro, tight, very little space. 2nd half we looked tired. Bit more life when made the changes, but thought Solanke contributed more, but yea, just imo.

Agree he left it too late, bit less than 20 mins. Should've done it 10 mins before that.
      jindaldhruv
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,805 posts | 24 
      • Football is my religion. Steven Gerrard is my God.
      Re: LIVE: Newcastle v Liverpool - October 1st 16:30 GMT
      Reply #635: Oct 01, 2017 06:57:07 pm
      Over-hit passes, under-hit passes.
      Over-hit crosses, under-hit crosses.
      That's been the story. Kills the entire move.
      Surely this has to improve considering the level they (players) play at?

In addition, whenever we win the ball upfield, we still end up passing to the CB and building from there. Ironic that the weakest part of the team sees the maximum of the ball.

Midfielders (Hendo & Gini) - I don't see what their role is, since we basically build through fullbacks & wingers.

Frustrating day, but there's still a long season. We can improve.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,502 posts | 1647 
      • YNWA
      Reply #636: Oct 01, 2017 06:57:49 pm

Agree with Jürgen here, thought both his and Matip on the free-kick/corner earlier were both good shouts for pens.

Could easily have been a peno to them when ball hit Lovrens hand when he blocked Diame.
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,989 posts | 516 
      Reply #637: Oct 01, 2017 06:58:06 pm

Yeah the one on Lovren was a stonewaller. Funny listening to the commentators trying to say " it was one of those ones the ref would be giving 10 a game if he gave it". He practically pulled the shirt off him and then threw him to the ground.
      redindian
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,974 posts | 237 
      Reply #638: Oct 01, 2017 07:00:28 pm
      Could easily have been a peno to them when ball hit Lovrens hand when he blocked Diame.

But, if that was a penalty, there was a moment when Sturridge's shot hit a Newcastle defender's hand.
      green_bear
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,042 posts | 289 
      Reply #639: Oct 01, 2017 07:01:46 pm

But let's be honest though, we got away with plenty similar incidents in the past with Skrtel.
      Against weaker teams I'd like to see us able to win without having to look back at single incidents and think what if. Sadly it's either a tie or winning by one for us these days.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,502 posts | 1647 
      • YNWA
      Reply #640: Oct 01, 2017 07:04:18 pm
      But, if that was a penalty, there was a moment when Sturridge's shot hit a Newcastle defender's hand.

For me, the leg had already blocked that shot.

Anyway, point being, and its just imho, blaming referring decisions for that result is a smokescreen.
      shawspeed
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 562 posts | 128 
      Reply #641: Oct 01, 2017 07:07:59 pm
      Shelvey Liverpool reject one assist and a shirt full of passion.  Our captain pointed an angry finger or two, considering as a mackem he must hate this team more than any one where was the passion?
      redindian
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,974 posts | 237 
      Reply #642: Oct 01, 2017 07:08:18 pm

Anyway, point being, and its just imho, blaming referring decisions for that result is a smokescreen.

Agree with that. This is another example of not having a clinical striker upfront. Against Huddersfield, Spurs were under a bit of pressure; Kane gets a chance due to a defensive mistake, scores a goal and that's it, they are on top.

I wanted Sturridge to start due to the poor form Bobby was in, but, this was a woeful performance from Sturridge. He couldn't even beat the offside trap against a team that sits deep.
      fckmediocrity
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 604 posts | 213 
      Reply #643: Oct 01, 2017 07:08:46 pm
      https://twitter.com/AnfieldHQ/status/914551297394843650

What a winning mentality ha.. when things get though leave :laugh:

Quick Reply