Trending Topics

Next match: Atalanta v LFC [Europa League] Thu 18th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Stadio di Bergamo

Today is the 16th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W16 D7 L8

Sporting events that impacted on society

Read 4948 times
      Baconbutty
      • Forum John Aldridge
      • Started Topic

• 110 posts | 22 
      Sporting events that impacted on society
      Oct 03, 2017 09:05:52 pm
      Doing some uni work on society/ community changing sports moments and I'm after some suggestions, if possible, on events that fit the bill.

Hillsborough, Heysel and the Bradford fire are examples. As are, arguably, the Italian match fixing scandal and the Olympic black power salutes.

Any suggestions of any others would be appreciated. Nice one.

FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,381 posts | 3387 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Re: Sporting events that impacted on society
      Reply #1: Oct 03, 2017 09:13:04 pm
      Doing some uni work on society/ community changing sports moments and I'm after some suggestions, if possible, on events that fit the bill.

Hillsborough, Heysel and the Bradford fire are examples. As are, arguably, the Italian match fixing scandal and the Olympic black power salutes.

Any suggestions of any others would be appreciated. Nice one.

The ban on sporting teams visiting south africa during apartheid. and rebel tours during that period.
      « Last Edit: Oct 04, 2017 12:21:17 am by FATKOPITE10 »
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #2: Oct 04, 2017 12:19:07 am
      Kap taking the knee..
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #3: Oct 04, 2017 01:06:44 am
      India's win in the 1983 Cricket World Cup.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,067 posts | 8515 
      Reply #4: Oct 19, 2017 03:06:33 pm
      Munich 72 Olympic Games and the attack on the Olympic Village in which 11 Israeli team members were taken hostage and eventually killed by the terrorist group Black September.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #5: Oct 19, 2017 03:38:28 pm
      Cassius Clay changing his name to Mohammed Ali
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,507 posts | 426 
      • Timid men prefer the calm of despotism!
      Reply #6: Dec 11, 2017 02:25:17 pm
      HILLSBOROUGH:  I think Hillsborough shined a lot on corruption, class, rotten politics, sh*t journalism and police corruption.

1980 US Olympic Hockey Team beating the Red Machine. It came at a very depressed, sad time in the US. Mass unemployment, gas shortages, post Vietnam and the threat of Nuclear War. It gave us a feeling of pride again. Plus the team was made up of college kids going against the elite of the Russian Hockey machine which was maybe the greatest hockey team ever assembled. For comparison it would be like the Russian basketball team beating the 92 Dream Team.

Ali v Frazier 1 and 2. 2 of the greatest fights ever. Ali became ALI. He stood up for his beliefs, was severly punished and then solidified his standing as the G.O.A.T. I grew up a white, working class, Irish catholic kid and at the time didnt relate to his causes but he is still a personal hero to me.

With those said the greatest act of Human endeavor I've seen live...was Felix Baumgartner jumping out of a Space Balloon and landing on his feet. Is it Sport? I dont know but so far it was the greatest thng ive ever seen a human do.

Quick Reply