Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Pre-Match: Liverpool V Manchester Utd (14th Oct 2017 - 12:30)

Read 14499 times
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Re: Pre-Match: Liverpool V Manchester Utd (14th Oct 2017 - 12:30)
      Reply #92: Oct 12, 2017 08:34:13 pm
      Okay Keef..You've been glancing around the match thread, tell us what your travelling 11 would be and who you think will be your game changer.. ;D

I'm not sure many will want to know my thoughts mate.  ;D Our midfield a little weaker with the absence of Pogba, Carrick and dare I say Fellaini  :f_whistle: ;D. Game changer for me this weekend possibly Rashford. My heart tells me a man of the match award might just be in his locker Saturday.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #93: Oct 12, 2017 09:11:10 pm
      What a kick in the hairy sphericals it is losing Mane, but i think we can still do these F**k muts by the skinniest of margins,
      most of you mentalists have us hung drawn and quartered before the wee bag of air has been punted, but yours truly has a bit more faith than that,

These are for the most part usually tight affairs and i see this one no different,

No doubt Maureen would be gleeful at Mane's absence but its still 11 V 11 and we will still give them enough to worry about without him,....... I'd go with this although Danzel has certainly given me food for thought with his logical reasoning..... anyhoo.....
                              Mignolet
         Gomez  Matip   Lovren   Moreno
                              Emre Can
              Wijnaldom              Chamberlain
                          Salah    Coutinho
                                Firmino

Bench:     Karius, Milner, Henderson, Robertson, Sturridge, Trent, Solanke

Probably won't happen but Can in protecting the back 5, and to advance forward in support, Ox in to give balance and allow Coutinho play centrally where i feel he's strongest, Bobby up top with support from Mo will give a sh*t load of worry for the MUtants defence,

We need to score twice at least cos there's not a chance in hell Migs the merciful will keep a clean sheet, its gonna be as tight as beavers bracket but I'm going for a

2-1 Mighty Reds scrappy victory.

YNWA

6stringer
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,051 posts | 517 
      Reply #94: Oct 12, 2017 09:16:46 pm
      Game changer for me this weekend possibly Rashford. My heart tells me a man of the match award might just be in his locker Saturday.
      Decent player Rashford and it's gonna be an interesting battle down the left hand side which is why I think TAA is our only option to stop his runs with Gomez for cover if he goes forward(TAA that is)..Milner hasn't got the legs.

rossyred
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,090 posts | 1631 
      Reply #95: Oct 12, 2017 09:17:51 pm
      Getting near now. Wife and Child given instructions to leave the house by 12.00 and even the dogs advised not to come anywhere near me between 12.30 and 14.15 or they risk being subject to actions out of my control. On pins as always when we play these comon boys season starts here fire in the belly at the very least
      Norfolk Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,154 posts | 499 
      Reply #96: Oct 12, 2017 10:26:44 pm
      I'm not sure many will want to know my thoughts mate.  ;D Our midfield a little weaker with the absence of Pogba, Carrick and dare I say Fellaini  :f_whistle: ;D. Game changer for me this weekend possibly Rashford. My heart tells me a man of the match award might just be in his locker Saturday.

Keith,

must be hard for you to come on here and have a rational argument, can't imagine going on Red  CafĂ© and doing the same but as I said all credit to you.
      Rashford is deffo a danger, but think and hope we are going to nick this one, Mane is a big loss but still think being at home we will have just to much for you.

C'mon the Redmen, let's do this.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #97: Oct 12, 2017 10:36:35 pm
      Keith,

must be hard for you to come on here and have a rational argument, can't imagine going on Red  CafĂ© and doing the same but as I said all credit to you.
      Rashford is deffo a danger, but think and hope we are going to nick this one, Mane is a big loss but still think being at home we will have just to much for you.

C'mon the Redmen, let's do this.
      Yes it can be at times but no one asked me to join so i take what ever coming in my stride. Not that i have a choice  :D

Even though you have home advantage and a passionate fan base to follow United have only been behind for two mins so far this season so i think i draw will be a good result for you. If we do score first then just can't see us losing. If you score first we're in for a great game.  ;D
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #98: Oct 12, 2017 10:49:45 pm
      Yes it can be at times but no one asked me to join so i take what ever coming in my stride. Not that i have a choice  :D

Even though you have home advantage and a passionate fan base to follow United have only been behind for two mins so far this season so i think i draw will be a good result for you. If we do score first then just can't see us losing. If you score first we're in for a great game.  ;D

Fair play to you Keith.

I’ve a sneaking suspicion we’ll see that we’ve been nowhere near as bad as it’s felt at times and you’re nowhere near as good as some media would have us believe.....

Been apprehensive for a couple / three weeks but a little dose of national team induced misanthropy soon reminded me of the positives of club fitba......

Looking forward to Saturday lunch ;)
      hoganov
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,709 posts | 162 
      Reply #99: Oct 13, 2017 02:52:20 am
      All I can say now is, this is the last post I will send before the game . I am at work for the match. I think we can beat these cu*ts without Mane we just have to believe....let's face it they are playing better as a team but JĂŒrgen will pull it together 2:1. My team

Migs
      Gomez
      Matip
      Lovren
      Robertson

Henderson
      Can

Coutinho
      Firmino
      Salah

Sturridge
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      Reply #100: Oct 13, 2017 06:08:28 am

Keith my little MUtant friend be careful you don't disappear up your own arse with your arrogance, Rashford as motm,  you seem so sure of a manc victory yet you won't name the side you believe will deliver, maybe its a team of Rashford's since he's in your eyes at least going to steal the show,

Your mob haven't been properly tested as yet so we will see how good you think they really are Pogba or not,

2-1 to Mighty Reds

YNWA
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #101: Oct 13, 2017 07:05:50 am
      Keith my little MUtant friend be careful you don't disappear up your own arse with your arrogance, Rashford as motm,  you seem so sure of a manc victory yet you won't name the side you believe will deliver, maybe its a team of Rashford's since he's in your eyes at least going to steal the show,

Your mob haven't been properly tested as yet so we will see how good you think they really are Pogba or not,

2-1 to Mighty Reds

YNWA

Keith's post wasn't arrogant at all, yours on the hand is extremely rude.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #102: Oct 13, 2017 08:11:33 am

2-1 to Mighty Reds

YNWA

Can you please point out where I've been arrogant? I was asked a opinion and gave one. At no time do I show any sign of arrogance/disrespect to your team. Am I sure of a manc victory? Course I'm not. Football can/is a game of confidence at times. United are playing well against teams last year we were drawing or winning 1-0. That's where I get my confidence presently from. Obviously strictly on form United fans will be on a high despite not playing any of the top 6 yet.
      I didn't pick a 11 man team simply because it's not something I do and at the end of the day it's just a guessing/opinion game just as my possible man of the match selection.

You lads are going through a bad time so obviously plenty of fans not too optimistic on getting a result. You state 2-1 for Liverpool!! Is that a form or arrogance? Course not it's a opinion just as mine is 0-2 for United.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      Reply #103: Oct 13, 2017 10:11:36 am
      Can you please point out where I've been arrogant? I was asked a opinion and gave one. At no time do I show any sign of arrogance/disrespect to your team. Am I sure of a manc victory? Course I'm not. Football can/is a game of confidence at times. United are playing well against teams last year we were drawing or winning 1-0. That's where I get my confidence presently from. Obviously strictly on form United fans will be on a high despite not playing any of the top 6 yet.
      I didn't pick a 11 man team simply because it's not something I do and at the end of the day it's just a guessing/opinion game just as my possible man of the match selection.

You lads are going through a bad time so obviously plenty of fans not too optimistic on getting a result. You state 2-1 for Liverpool!! Is that a form or arrogance? Course not it's a opinion just as mine is 0-2 for United.

Touche Keith,
      Haha mate gotcha biting, of course you're correct in that Mancs are the form team and have been playing well, so i understand your confidence , but your there to be shot down just like we are as Liverpool fans, you surely can't expect us to be all sweetness and gooey gooey on the eve of the match do you?

I'd fooking love it we tear you to bits but know it's just not going to happen, or is that also deemed as arrogance ?

Perhaps your skin isn't as thick as you think it is ?
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      Reply #104: Oct 13, 2017 10:12:38 am
      Keith's post wasn't arrogant at all, yours on the hand is extremely rude.

Shut up you tart !
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #105: Oct 13, 2017 10:39:20 am
      Touche Keith,
      Haha mate gotcha biting, of course you're correct in that Mancs are the form team and have been playing well, so i understand your confidence , but your there to be shot down just like we are as Liverpool fans, you surely can't expect us to be all sweetness and gooey gooey on the eve of the match do you?

I'd fooking love it we tear you to bits but know it's just not going to happen, or is that also deemed as arrogance ?

Perhaps your skin isn't as thick as you think it is ?

Ofcourse, i don't expect anything.  :D Just stating i wasn't arrogant in my posting.  :) My skin has to be thick skinned to post on here.  ;D
      rossyred

• 9,090 posts | 1631 
      Reply #106: Oct 13, 2017 11:32:52 am
      Very surprised Milner not making many teams as an option at RB . Just my opinion of course before certain people start slating it .
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #107: Oct 13, 2017 11:56:04 am
      Very surprised Milner not making many teams as an option at RB . Just my opinion of course before certain people start slating it .

It's mad that he hasn't been tried there. Against this lot I'd bang him there with Emre, Gini and Hendo in midfield. Need strong lads aswell as a bit of experience out there.
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #108: Oct 13, 2017 01:57:01 pm
      Less than 24 hours now feeling nervous will be on pins all day.

Biggest game of the year for me this!

Come on lads!
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #109: Oct 13, 2017 02:26:56 pm
      Less than 24 hours now feeling nervous will be on pins all day.

Biggest game of the year for me this!

Come on lads!

Probably the biggest game for most United & Liverpool fans.  :)
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #110: Oct 13, 2017 02:37:32 pm
      Liverpool vs Manchester United: Mischief and meaning remain but England's bitterest rivalry isn't quite what it was

The clash continues to generate the same hype but, looking back over the years, today's rivalry between United and Liverpool seems to be missing that special edge

There are legendary names amongst Liverpool’s local supporter base and one of them is Stephen ‘Mono’ Monaghan, a veteran of 106 European away games.

Monaghan is the type of person that makes friends wherever he goes, like the waiter in the hotel where he was staying when Liverpool travelled to Russia to play Spartak Moscow last month. The waiter, from Donetsk in Ukraine, had spent the evening listening to stories about Anfield when Monaghan suggested he should attend Liverpool’s game with him the following night. Since sourcing him a ticket and persuading the bar manager it was a good idea to let one of his staff to have some impromptu time off, the waiter and Monaghan have been in regular contact through WhatsApp.

It was not the only story to emerge from that particular trip. As they waited to face CSKA, the Manchester United squad were booked into the same hotel as Monaghan and his mates. Monaghan had been on a boat cruise down the Moskva River when he returned to the Radisson to find José Mourinho in the reception area wearing his tracksuit. What happened next, you might already know about, because messages were quickly sent back to Merseyside and with that, images were distributed across social media in a flash.

“I went up to Mourinho and said in my best Salford accent, ‘JosĂ©, can I have a photo please,’” Monaghan recalls. “Before he knew it, the camera phones were out and I managed to place a Spirit of Shankly badge near his shoulder, whipping it off before he saw it. So, there was the Manchester United manager: an SOS member

“It was only a bit of a laugh amongst our mates but inevitably, it found its way onto Twitter. Later that night I received a text off someone at home. It said: ‘You’ve broken in the Internet.’”

At breakfast the next morning, Monaghan sat on a table near Paddy Crerand and Mickey Thomas, United legends. Then Mourinho walked in. “He looked over and I knew he was thinking, ‘Is that him from last night?’”

Monaghan would complete his stay in Moscow in conversation with Bryan Robson back at the hotel bar after Liverpool’s frustrating 1-1 draw. “Really nice fella,” Monaghan says of Robson. “He actually came over to us and we got talking about football in the 80s - about Ronnie Moran and the levels of passion in the games. Apparently, he nearly signed for Liverpool instead of United. West Brom were asking for £2.5m, Liverpool would only go to £2.2m and United paid the asking fee. He was a great player, Robson. There was no bother whatsoever. It didn’t matter that he was United and we were from Liverpool.”

Monaghan’s meeting with Mourinho suggests mischief between the clubs is in a healthy state. When, indeed, antipathy manifests itself to what many consider unacceptable levels like it has done both audibly and visually in recent seasons, it will be concluded that the ire between Manchester and Liverpool is as rude as it has ever been.

Monaghan, though, is not the only one who thinks the fixture is not what it was: a rivalry that could involve Ron Atkinson, the United manager who was born in the Old Swan area of Liverpool, being pelted with snowballs in Anfield’s old main stand car park.

Stephen Armstrong from the United We Stand fanzine speaks about United’s 0-0 draw on Merseyside last October when, though there were enough players involved with the experience to understand what it all means, ultimately, there was only one Mancunian in the United side (a teenager, Marcus Rashford) and no Scousers in the Liverpool side. Three of United’s four bookings were for time wasting while no Liverpool player received a yellow card. This was on a Monday night and the crowd was cold and tired after a day at work, rather than agitated because of the unscripted drama being played out in front of them. Mourinho had come for a draw.

“I can’t think of a more sanitised fixture in football now,” says Armstrong who details the wider contributing factors that have nibbled away at the intensity over the years. “There’s a lot more crossing between the cities, with Scousers working in Manchester and Mancunians working in Liverpool, I have been one of them,” he adds. There has been a greater recognition of the social alignment that exists too, with supporters of both clubs following similar paths in terms of music, fashion and politics. Both cities voted to remain in the EU referendum.

Armstrong thinks moods have shifted mainly, though, because Sir Alex Ferguson is no longer Manchester United’s manager. “Ferguson absolutely stoked up the rivalry because he put Liverpool on a pedestal and rightly so because they used to win everything in sight.”

Ferguson ended up toppling Liverpool but without him there have been no further league titles so far, although this season promises to be one that might change that. Liverpool’s wait for a championship, meanwhile, looks likely to stretch into a 28th season. For Daniel Austin from the Anfield Wrap, Ferguson was a seminal figure: “the symbol of United you directed your hatred towards.” Ferguson has taken with him United’s sense of invincibility.

“The fixture doesn’t feel as though it has an impact on the course of a league season like it used to,” Austin says. “Neither team for quite a while now has been able to say it is the best team in the country and performances in the Champions League have been poor or non-existent. Since 2006/07 when it would have been a Liverpool-United European Cup final had United beaten AC Milan in the semi, both clubs have fallen some distance. When you don’t have meaningful competition it impacts upon the intensity.”

Police will monitor motorway bridges for offensive banners ahead of Saturday’s lunchtime kick-off but it is inside the stadium where outcomes are defined. Liverpool and United are also linked by frustrations amongst supporters that atmospheres at Anfield and Old Trafford are flatter than they’ve ever been. Especially at Liverpool, this is a problem. Peter Hooton, the Farm singer, calls Anfield a “twitching corpse” and JĂŒrgen Klopp still seems to be learning about the venue’s reality; this is a place that only occasionally can stir the emotions that helps with the pursuit of the impossible but is more likely to impede progression against opponents Liverpool are expected to beat.

Kevin Sampson, the author of Away Days, speaks of myths relating to Anfield but there nevertheless has been a change, which might show itself even when United visit.

“Fans of my generation talk about The Old Days as though The Kop was this million-decibel lion’s den week in, week out,” he says. “We had an average attendance of about 36,000 for much of the 80s. But when it mattered – and, very often, even when it didn’t – the crowd was just brilliant. I can remember an attendance of 17,000 versus Wroclaw one misty night and the Kop spent the game imitating a foghorn...

“Simple fact – the wit and passion and spontaneity that LFC sell as The Famous Kop didn’t stem from a few blokes from Milton Keynes or a carload from Carlisle. That identity - the songs, chants, cruelty and humour - comes from groups of young Scousers, all together, doing their thing. It spreads out from there. I love the fact that we have supporters from all over the world. I love the way the new main stand has amplified the noise inside the ground. I want Liverpool to have a diverse and inclusive fanbase. But the big core value - the locality from which the club takes its name - has to be protected and encouraged.”

Monaghan, of course, is one of those supporters, someone whose earliest trips abroad as a teenager were because of his love of Liverpool, when Bob Paisley’s team’s pre-season schedule involved a tournament in Germany. On arrival at a youth hostel in Dusseldorf, Monaghan and the rest of the gang were greeted by men with suspicious eyes, their accents identifying them as being from the English north-west.

“They were Mancunians, United were playing in the same area, maybe the same competition,” Monaghan recalls. There was an assumption that an influx would follow an arrival of a small group of Liverpudlians and so, all but two of the United fans departed the next morning.

“They’d lost their passports and money so we looked after them for three days; fed them, watered them and clothed them,” Monaghan says. “These lads are well known in United circles so I won’t embarrass them here. But a sort of friendship exists until this day. It could only ever be sort of between us, I suppose.”

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/liverpool-vs-manchester-united-rivalry-become-sanitised-history-would-suggest-so-a7997651.html
      DanMann

• 5,635 posts | 866 
      Reply #111: Oct 13, 2017 04:31:29 pm
      For the match to not have the same "meaning" as in past days is fault of the modern manager. Many times we hear it said "it is just 3 points" and sadly, that's the truth of their intent. To modern managers, it's just a game. Win, and 3 points. Lose, no matter.. look to the next game.

Appalling really. We need our Manager to big this up for the game it is and drive into the players that nothing but a win will be accepted. When was the last time we had that intent?

In the warm up to the game, all I'm seeing is the same old drivel spouted every week from the players. I want to see that intent on the pitch, and I want these lads to go for it as if this were their last and only game. Nothing else matters.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #112: Oct 13, 2017 06:14:24 pm
      Time to show some true character, gentlemen. Play for the jersey.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #113: Oct 13, 2017 06:16:43 pm
      For the match to not have the same "meaning" as in past days is fault of the modern manager. Many times we hear it said "it is just 3 points" and sadly, that's the truth of their intent. To modern managers, it's just a game. Win, and 3 points. Lose, no matter.. look to the next game.

Appalling really. We need our Manager to big this up for the game it is and drive into the players that nothing but a win will be accepted. When was the last time we had that intent?

In the warm up to the game, all I'm seeing is the same old drivel spouted every week from the players. I want to see that intent on the pitch, and I want these lads to go for it as if this were their last and only game. Nothing else matters.

The manager is a football coach not a marketing executive for the EPL.

How old are you if you don't realise this is one if the biggest games of the year around the world, it doesn't need our manager jumping up and down like a crazy loony, mind you he does plenty of that on the side during the game   :lmao:

DanRed44
      • Forum Igor Biscan

• 121 posts | 18 
      Reply #114: Oct 13, 2017 06:17:25 pm
      I would love to see Milner at RB, can't see it happening, but TAA and Gomez would struggle big time in this game, and hope Ox gets a start, a huge game and would prefer him over Gini for this one.

Quick Reply