Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 25th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W9 D9 L7

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Man Utd?

Simon Mignolet
      2 (2.5%)
      Joe Gomez
      23 (28.8%)
      Dejan Lovren
      5 (6.3%)
      Joel Matip
      4 (5%)
      Alberto Moreno
      8 (10%)
      Emre Can
      0 (0%)
      Jordan Henderson
      3 (3.8%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      8 (10%)
      Mohammed Salah
      12 (15%)
      Philippe Coutinho
      9 (11.3%)
      Roberto Firmino
      3 (3.8%)
      Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain
      2 (2.5%)
      Daniel Sturridge
      1 (1.3%)
      Dominic Solanke
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 78

Voting closed: Oct 18, 2017 02:33:04 pm

Liverpool 0-0 Manchester United: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 27969 times
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Re: Liverpool 0-0 Manchester United: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #437: Oct 14, 2017 07:20:07 pm
      Mourinho got what Mourinho wanted. You can dress it up a million ways fella but he came to Anfield once more to park a big dirty manc bus and we huffed and puffed but in reality created very little other than the Matip chance where we looked like scoring.

Total bullshit.

Salah from the rebound, should slot that straight in.
      Coutinho clear penalty from Herrera.
      Wijnaldum from the edge of the box without a defender in front blocking, clear sight of goal.
      Can from the lob over the top missing 5 yards out.
      Salah on the spin and volley.
      Salah from the cross by Firmino.
      Firmino from the one that got dived on close to their line.
      Lovren header.
      Gomez from the edge of their box, unmarked.
      Salah, cross only slightly over hit by Firmino for far post header.
      Moreno only slightly overcooking his cross.
      Coutinho just missing the continuation of the move from the edge of the box when we had Wijnaldum running unmarked into the box.

Total bullshit that we didn't create chances or unlock the defence enough times, the above should be enough to kill off a game. It wasn't, it's how our season is going but more and more people want to buy into the bullshit that gets peddled around here rather than the facts and the true reflection of the performance.

As for your little rant about Bobby, he created the most chances again today for our team, as he did last season too (hint scroll to chances created) http://www.planetfootball.com/quick-reads/goalassistchance-creation-premier-leagues-top-six-attacks-compared/

5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #438: Oct 14, 2017 08:20:00 pm
      I'm not sure Coutinho's incident was a clear cut penalty but the most disturbing thing for me was that we didn't even bother appealing. If you don't ask, you don't get. We should have been surrounding the ref demanding a pen. Maybe we would have got one, perhaps not but you can sure as hell bet United or Chelsea would have been doing that.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #439: Oct 14, 2017 08:34:25 pm
      I don't really know why we are getting bogged down arguing the toss over whether or not we created "loads" of chances. We obviously didn't, but I don't personally think that's anything to be ashamed about. It's not like when you play Burnley or Brighton at Home and can swarm blokes into the box, against the Mancs you've got to have one eye on conceding to a sucker punch. I said at half time that if we couldn't win it we should make sure we didn't lose it, and so it proved.

As for the chances though, we had a couple of half chance sighters but didn't really get to see the whites of De Geas eyes aside from his excellent save from Matip. Not easy to open them up like a can of beans though when they're sticking 10 behind the ball. We did pretty well, but there's no point pretending we had chance after chance, because we clearly didn't.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #440: Oct 14, 2017 09:00:09 pm
      https://twitter.com/MelissaReddy_/status/919218106073079808

Yeah not like we had 11 shots from inside the box or anything like that.

As for "chance after chance" or "loads of chances" hasn't been said by anyone, listen to JĆ¼rgen's post match, understand what he says because like him I've no longer got the will to discuss with people who can't understand context and apply common sense. Continually misrepresenting the other side of a discussion, it's meaningless, narrative driven, drivel.

bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #441: Oct 14, 2017 09:11:29 pm
      https://twitter.com/MelissaReddy_/status/919218106073079808

Yeah not like we had 11 shots from inside the box or anything like that.

As for "chance after chance" or "loads of chances" hasn't been said by anyone, listen to JĆ¼rgen's post match, understand what he says because like him I've no longer got the will to discuss with people who can't understand context and apply common sense. Continually misrepresenting the other side of a discussion, it's meaningless, narrative driven, drivel.

Luke calm down mate, just because I aren't seeing the game 100% the same as you saw it doesn't mean my thoughts are narrative driven or that I have an agenda or anything like it.

I thought we played pretty well and were much the better team. I thought they were ultra defensive, and as such extremely hard to break down. I thought we did create a few half chances with one really clear cut chance, but don't agree that there was a list of times when we opened them up. We were much the likelier team to score a goal I thought, but even at half time I thought the game had 0-0 written all over it, so long as we didn't gift them one.

There's no shame or problem in drawing that game 0-0. It was a good performance and one that we can take much encouragement from.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #442: Oct 14, 2017 09:21:54 pm
      Luke calm down mate, just because I aren't seeing the game 100% the same as you saw it doesn't mean my thoughts are narrative driven or that I have an agenda or anything like it.

I'm perfectly calm Mick, just tired of the misrepresentation of the other side of the debate, something you, yourself, moan about. There's no point trying to have a discussion if you list the chances (all factual) and then you're told you were saying there's "loads and loads" or "chance after chance", when thought about in relative terms and accepting United set up defensively then we created plenty, the problem being we didn't stick any of them away of course.

I thought we played pretty well and were much the better team. I thought they were ultra defensive, and as such extremely hard to break down. I thought we did create a few half chances with one really clear cut chance, but don't agree that there was a list of times when we opened them up. We were much the likelier team to score a goal I thought, but even at half time I thought the game had 0-0 written all over it, so long as we didn't gift them one.

There's no shame or problem in drawing that game 0-0. It was a good performance and one that we can take much encouragement from.

Shame? I'm proud of our lads, shame doesn't enter the discussion. We wiped the floor with United in most of that match only to be foiled by either terrible referee decisions (penalty and Lukaku should have been off) or poor finishing from our lads. Darmian looked completely fu**ed by the end of the match, he'd been turned and twisted that many times by Salah that the lad was seeing more stars than Patrick Moore.

Nah I feel no shame, especially when you take a look in all the pre-match talk, how this United team were this, that and the other but unsurprisingly come the end of the match opinions have changed and now it's some kind of Mourinho Masterclass, how far people can be led by the Sky bullshit is honestly astonishing.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,004 posts | 3952 
      Reply #443: Oct 14, 2017 09:41:20 pm
      But he is. Because he can't accept opinions he does not like - he can't stand to "read" them. Hence the ignore list.  :D

Quite the reverse, that poster is perceived as one who can give a reasonable response to the majority of credible issues presented to him, the word 'credible' being the case in point.

Your "contribution" to this forum has become infamous through a lack of positivity bordering on wummery, having been on this forum a good number of years posters of your ilk are now avoided to prevent the inevitable wind up and subsequent abuse.

Ignore is an option if unable to skip your drivel and let emotion override all leading to warnings etc from the mods, glad to say your "contributions" go right over my head,
      DanMann
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,741 posts | 882 
      Reply #444: Oct 14, 2017 09:50:32 pm
      Quite the reverse, that poster is perceived as one who can give a reasonable response to the majority of credible issues presented to him, the word 'credible' being the case in point.

Depends who you ask mate.

He's constantly "wound up" as evidenced in this thread and massively defensive. Seems to get upset all too easily, and believes his opinions are absolute and everyone else's are ******* (usually swear words involved). All too touchy, which is exactly why he has used the ignore list. I have no-one on ignore. No need. I can deal with the opinions of others (and the abuse that comes my way).

It's about being grown up.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #445: Oct 14, 2017 09:54:28 pm
      But when you read down the list, if you hadn't seen the game you'd imagine there was chance after chance, there wasn't.

"Salah from the rebound, should slot that straight in.
      Wijnaldum from the edge of the box without a defender in front blocking, clear sight of goal.
      Lovren header.
      Coutinho just missing the continuation of the move from the edge of the box when we had Wijnaldum running unmarked into the box."

Salah from the rebound, should slot that straight in. He was hitting it blind, in the middle of a scramble. I think he should have done better, but that f*cker De Gea would probs have saved it anyways. 6/10 chance IMHO.

Coutinho clear penalty from Herrera. I didn't think it was a penalty. I've seen them given for sure (usually for the Mancs against us) but I wasn't leaping out of the chair asking for it at the time.

Wijnaldum from the edge of the box without a defender in front blocking, clear sight of goal. It was a shot from outside the area. Did you expect him to score because I certainly didn't. 1/10 chance.

Can from the lob over the top missing 5 yards out. Difficult chance, saw it probably only late but ought to have hit the target really. 3/10 chance.

Salah on the spin and volley. To be totally honest I can't even remember this one, sorry.

Salah from the cross by Firmino. Unlucky that was, just didn't quite get there. Dare I say it, the cross may have been a fraction overhit. 0/10 chance because he didn't get there.

Firmino from the one that got dived on close to their line I didn't really see this one as a "chance", more as pressure. 0/10 chance.

Lovren header. He had one (I guess its the one you're on about) where he got above Jones. Having got there he ought to have done better IMHO, although they didn't dwell on it on TV. 5/10 chance.

Gomez from the edge of their box, unmarked. Sorry Luke don't remember it again.

Salah, cross only slightly over hit by Firmino for far post header. There was obviously another one that I forgot ;D.

Moreno only slightly overcooking his cross. Eh? If it's the one I'm thinking of, it cleared everybody and almost went for a throw in?

Coutinho just missing the continuation of the move from the edge of the box when we had Wijnaldum running unmarked into the box. Don't remember it, but not really a chance as in "goalscoring chance" is it?

What about the Matip one BTW? Surely that was THE best chance?

HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,185 posts | 4404 
      Reply #446: Oct 14, 2017 10:02:35 pm
      Saw this somewhere else and found it really funny and so apt.

ā€˜If Mourinho directed Die Hard itā€™d be 90 minutes of Bruce Willis hiding in a cupboard, then applauding his tactics for not getting shot.ā€™

bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #447: Oct 14, 2017 10:04:49 pm
      Saw this somewhere else and found it really funny and so apt.

ā€˜If Mourinho directed Die Hard itā€™d be 90 minutes of Bruce Willis hiding in a cupboard, then applauding his tactics for not getting shot.ā€™

:lmao:
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,185 posts | 4404 
      Reply #448: Oct 14, 2017 10:06:52 pm
      But when you read down the list, if you hadn't seen the game you'd imagine there was chance after chance, there wasn't.

Lovren header.
      Coutinho just missing the continuation of the move from the edge of the box when we had Wijnaldum running unmarked into the box."

Salah from the rebound, should slot that straight in. He was hitting it blind, in the middle of a scramble. I think he should have done better, but that f*cker De Gea would probs have saved it anyways. 6/10 chance IMHO.

Coutinho clear penalty from Herrera. I didn't think it was a penalty. I've seen them given for sure (usually for the Mancs against us) but I wasn't leaping out of the chair asking for it at the time.

Wijnaldum from the edge of the box without a defender in front blocking, clear sight of goal. It was a shot from outside the area. Did you expect him to score because I certainly didn't. 1/10 chance.

Can from the lob over the top missing 5 yards out. Difficult chance, saw it probably only late but ought to have hit the target really. 3/10 chance.

Salah on the spin and volley. To be totally honest I can't even remember this one, sorry.

Salah from the cross by Firmino. Unlucky that was, just didn't quite get there. Dare I say it, the cross may have been a fraction overhit. 0/10 chance because he didn't get there.

Firmino from the one that got dived on close to their line I didn't really see this one as a "chance", more as pressure. 0/10 chance.

Lovren header. He had one (I guess its the one you're on about) where he got above Jones. Having got there he ought to have done better IMHO, although they didn't dwell on it on TV. 5/10 chance.

Salah, cross only slightly over hit by Firmino for far post header. There was obviously another one that I forgot ;D.

Moreno only slightly overcooking his cross. Eh? If it's the one I'm thinking of, it cleared everybody and almost went for a throw in?

Coutinho just missing the continuation of the move from the edge of the box when we had Wijnaldum running unmarked into the box. Don't remember it, but not really a chance as in "goalscoring chance" is it?

Salah should have scored he has missed too many relatively easy chances like that this season or better still left it for Coutinho who was lining up to place it in the back of the net.

Can one was a 3/10 for you and me mate but a professional footballer that's not really difficult but again because Can rarely scores it's difficult for "him".

Two chances I bet Utd would have scored from.

fckmediocrity
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 604 posts | 213 
      Reply #449: Oct 14, 2017 10:09:16 pm

Lovren header.

Don't bother.. this chances created stat reminds me of the 'hit the crossbar 20times' season.. both are pointless and those who take pride in it are trying to make excuses for our inability to score.. I've read above someone saying that this is a new level on understading football and if you don't get it you should 'educate' yourself :laugh:
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #450: Oct 14, 2017 10:13:31 pm

Mick I'm going to rate these in relation to your Firmino sitter header that was almost 12 yards out, or would that be unfair?

Salah had to pass it into the corner of the goal, considering I could hit a cone from anywhere with a pass I would mark this down as a pretty simple chance that he just totally fu**ed up. 7/10 minimum

Coutinho, clear penalty from Herrera. I didn't think it was a penalty. I've seen them given for sure (usually for the Mancs against us) but I wasn't leaping out of the chair asking for it at the time.

JĆ¼rgen's talked about it in his press conference, I wasn't jumping out of my chair afterwards either but on the replay it was a clear as day pen. Our lads didn't make enough of it though and that is where we have an issue, we're easy to fob off on a 70/30 call, let alone a 50/50 and that's something that I think only a change in personnel will address.

'Outside the box', he was a yard outside, near where the D starts to get painted without a defender in the way, just De Gea to beat. Granted it's a more difficult task because it's De Gea but he did a poor attempt considering the clear path to goal he had. 5/10 (I'd have fancied myself to score even with it being De Gea).

This one was technically difficult but it was 5 or so yards out, get this on target anywhere other than right at the keeper and it's a goal. 5/10

Passed in from our right by Bobby to Salah around 10 yards out, one touch and turned on the volley but hit it straight at De Gea, again anywhere other than right at the keeper and it's a goal but they've got the best keeper around right now. 6/10

Understand your mark on this one, but again this was to demonstrate it was a matter of millimetres rather than struggling to break down a wall, everything other than the slightest bit of weight on the pass was right on this move.

Seen Coutinho and Suarez score against United from similar angles, granted De Gea was closer to Bobby to begin with. 3/10

Fair.

In the first half, Bobby plays a peach with the outside of the boot, picks Gomez out with a nice run on the right of their box completely unmarked, nobody running to close him down and with options and did absolutely nothing with it. He could have shot, could have crossed and yet his indecisiveness stopped him doing anything but again this broke through their entire defence and if he'd chosen the correct path he'd have knocked it across the defender attempting to catch up (Suarezlike) and been in 1v1 or a pen as the defender would have had no other option. As it was it's a kid learning his trade and it amounted to nothing but again the defensive line was completely broken down.

Salah, cross only slightly over hit by Firmino for far post header. There was obviously another one that I forgot .

We've covered this one.

3 Occasions he had good opportunities to cross and by that I mean without a defender able to make a block (think how he himself was criticised for the one on Ashley Young well far more space than that) and with men unmarked in the middle. Twice we had Bobby and Salah free and once we had Gini.

It was a beautiful move with Coutinho with his back to Wijnaldum who ran the overlap and was clean through, would have been him v De Gea and not a defender in sight and Coutinho decided to take one too many touches rather than play it first time. Chance, no this wasn't but it was again a demonstration that the right patterns are being played, the bus parking being broken down but only a small failure in execution rather than idea/tactics.

Then finally the Matip chance which to me was an 8/10.

Those are just from memory, there were clearly more if we had 11 shots inside the box.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #451: Oct 14, 2017 10:15:57 pm
      I don't really know why we are getting bogged down arguing the toss over whether or not we created "loads" of chances. We obviously didn't, but I don't personally think that's anything to be ashamed about. It's not like when you play Burnley or Brighton at Home and can swarm blokes into the box, against the Mancs you've got to have one eye on conceding to a sucker punch. I said at half time that if we couldn't win it we should make sure we didn't lose it, and so it proved.

As for the chances though, we had a couple of half chance sighters but didn't really get to see the whites of De Geas eyes aside from his excellent save from Matip. Not easy to open them up like a can of beans though when they're sticking 10 behind the ball. We did pretty well, but there's no point pretending we had chance after chance, because we clearly didn't.

I'm less worried about the number of chances we had than the fact that we keep failing to take the ones we get. As you would expect in a game like this, we really only got one clear cut chance and Salah failed to take it again. I like the lad, I think he's a good player but he's not your main striker material. He's the guy on the wing who chips in with 15 goals a season in supplimenting your 30+ goals a season Striker. That is what's missing from this team. A Harry Kane, a Sergio Aguero, even a Lukaku (today's performance aside), not a Bobby Firmino.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,313 posts | 6378 
      Reply #452: Oct 14, 2017 11:24:17 pm
      I donā€™t know why there is any ā€œdebateā€ about chances or anything else. The bottom line is, we once again couldnā€™t finish and werenā€™t clinical enough to win a game that we seemingly controlled (or did we?).

Iā€™m starting to think that teams fancy their chances giving us the ball for 70% of the game because usually they will end up hitting us on the break or scoring something cheap from a set piece. What is the point of all that possession and all of those ā€œchancesā€ when we time and again canā€™t convert them. But hey, at least next summer we can address our scoring problem, right along with our defensive problem and our goalkeeping problem.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #453: Oct 14, 2017 11:40:04 pm
      I don't get why a minority are trying to tell us the sky is red when it is blue, with regards to these supposed chances.

Some were sighters, some were half chances, there was at a push two clearer chances and they were the only moments when we opend their defence up. One of those, we found our centre half in a strikers position with the striker feeding him as our best chance. Good chance but come on, isn't that telling you something? That was in the first half, the Kop were hardly sucking the ball into the net in the second half, we weren't all on the edge of our seats in the last 10 hammering on the door, peppering it. They chaperoned us to 93mins without barely suffering any proper scares. Certain people are really clutching at straws trying to convince everyone else they are wrong and the game should be viewed through their rosey red lenses.

Fact is, we weren't incisive and we were toothless. I don't know why anybody would try and con other people with a different version of events. Had we been more incisive and clinical we would have won.

We struggled against Newcastle in similar fashion and Burnely. There is a clear pattern, and although Maureen's team are a much more expensive and well drilled unit at this type of tactic, what Maureen's team can do better is suck the life and atmosphere out of a game. Two seasons on the bounce now they've done this and we simply haven't had an answer.

Truth is, we never looked like scoring in a month of Sunday's unless it was from a magical piece of individual brilliance - similarly the same kind brilliance we relied on for Coutinho at Newcastle the week before.

« Last Edit: Oct 15, 2017 05:03:48 am by Beerbelly »
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,605 posts | 3843 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #454: Oct 14, 2017 11:48:43 pm

One player off then. Wijnaldum getting the nod over Solanke.
      DanMann
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,741 posts | 882 
      Reply #455: Oct 14, 2017 11:56:17 pm
      One player off then. Wijnaldum getting the nod over Solanke.

That, and you had Gomez and Moreno playing in midfield  ;)
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,605 posts | 3843 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #456: Oct 15, 2017 12:12:18 am
      That, and you had Gomez and Moreno playing in midfield  ;)

They play better there ;)
      fckmediocrity
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 604 posts | 213 
      Reply #457: Oct 15, 2017 12:13:24 am
      Wanted to write this in the match thread but anyone else pissed off at the high five-ing,hugging and kissing between Moreno Herrera and De Gea in the tunnel before the start of the game or just me ???

Looking at that you get the feeling that they're getting ready for a friendly and go out after for a few cold ones.. I get that for most players this is just a job but as a fan seeing that sh*t you feel a bit sick.

racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,605 posts | 3843 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #458: Oct 15, 2017 12:14:48 am
      Wanted to write this in the match thread but anyone else pissed off at the high five-ing,hugging and kissing between Moreno Herrera and De Gea or just me ???

Looking at that you get the feeling that they're getting ready for a friendly and go out after for a few cold ones.. I get that for most players this is just a job but as a fan seeing that sh*t you feel a bit sick.

Moreno will always be too nice.
      Club need more snides.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #459: Oct 15, 2017 12:22:48 am
      Moreno will always be too nice.
      Club need more snides.

Somebody posted an article about the demise of this fixture.

And Moreno hugging Manc players on the field of play before or after a game epitomises everything wrong with this fixture now.

Imagine Gerrard and Neville high-fiving & hugging each other after a Liv/Manc game.
      « Last Edit: Oct 15, 2017 05:29:46 am by Beerbelly »

Quick Reply