Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

We need to talk about Henderson...

Read 59410 times
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Re: We need to talk about Henderson...
      Reply #322: Oct 26, 2017 07:31:21 pm
      Didnā€™t miss it mate. Not a jot.

Just donā€™t buy it. For the reasons stated.

Hey - canā€™t agree all the time ;)

I don't think either of us are buying into each other here. Very much each to their own!
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #323: Oct 26, 2017 10:41:07 pm
      A sad state of affairs that people are hankering after the 2008-2009 team, a team that won nothing, just like the 1995-96 team before it

Maybe if we could have kept that team together it would have.
      Ifs and buts. Cynical sh*te people using that team falling short to ignore the quality spine within it.
      Building on that spine would have seen LFC (RANKED NUMBER ONE IN EUROPE AT THE TIME) win.
      We didn't. The silverware got sold.
      bmck
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #324: Nov 03, 2017 09:04:30 pm
      The 13/14 team didn't have the kind of leaders that were there in 08/09, but we were closer to a title with that lot. Getting results covers a multitude.
      And thro that season (13/14) we had the 'we need to talk about SG' thread going. Nuts! EVEN when we had a guy of the stature of SG as captain, a guy who led by example, someone who comes along once in a generation, we still had people whinging about him. F**k that.

I don't care if JĆ¼rgen drops Hendo. He's not the best captain we've ever had. But the manager wants him there, and imho there's f**k all other (better) options.

Until we sign a player (wouldn't that be an idea)  with real leadership credentials don't see the armband changing when Hendo fit and playing.
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,937 posts | 502 
      Reply #325: Nov 03, 2017 09:40:31 pm
      The 08/09 team and the 13/14 were both sides that got close to being great. It's really frustrating that twice, so recently, we had sides that were on the verge of being very special, and we let it slip both times.

The first time there is no argument about who was to blame - H&G. The second time there were some extenuating circumstances - Suarez kept biting people, Stevie got older, Sturridge got injured - but the bottom line is FSG let us down by not replacing these players with similar quality. They tried to wing it with "value" replacements and the team went backwards fast. Pisses me off thinking about it.

Anyway, I'm not actually sure what this has got to do with Hendo, other than that he was in that 13/14 side and didn't let us down as far as I'm concerned. If he's the best leader/midfielder we've got that's not his fault, it's the fault of FSG for fannying around with inferior players in too many positions. It's laughable to targeting one of our better players ( and best leader in the judgement of both BR and JĆ¼rgen) when we're clearly far worse off in other positions.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #326: Nov 03, 2017 10:16:42 pm

The second time there were some extenuating circumstances - Suarez kept biting people, Stevie got older, Sturridge got injured

Ok...

Hendo, other than that he was in that 13/14 side and didn't let us down as far as I'm concerned.

He got sent off and served a 3 match ban during the run in, when the title was in our hands, where was he? Serving a suspension, for 3 of our last 4 games. Yet you deem Suarez being banned among your extenuating circumstances?
      Thatā€™s not letting us down?
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #327: Nov 04, 2017 07:46:38 am
      Ok...

He got sent off and served a 3 match ban during the run in, when the title was in our hands, where was he? Serving a suspension, for 3 of our last 4 games. Yet you deem Suarez being banned among your extenuating circumstances?
      Thatā€™s not letting us down?

Donā€™t be daft mate - you donā€™t rate now and thatā€™s fine but he didnā€™t let us down then at all.

He mistimed a tackle whilst we were under bit of pressure trying to hold onto our 3-2 lead.....having already lost a 2-0 lead.

To say he let us down - is just gilding the lily in an already flawed narrative.

7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #328: Nov 04, 2017 10:34:07 am
      Donā€™t be daft mate - you donā€™t rate now and thatā€™s fine but he didnā€™t let us down then at all.

He mistimed a tackle whilst we were under bit of pressure trying to hold onto our 3-2 lead.....having already lost a 2-0 lead.

To say he let us down - is just gilding the lily in an already flawed narrative.

Not being daft at all but there canā€™t be ā€œextenuating circumstancesā€ such as Suarez being banned and things like Gerrard being older (bloody ridiculous argument that, look at Scholes/Terry etc) and Sturridge being injured but then not include a regular first team player being suspended for 3 of the last 4 games. Mistimed tackle or a complete wreck less one, it doesnā€™t matter, the outcome was the same in terms of his availability.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #329: Nov 04, 2017 10:42:47 am
      Not being daft at all but there canā€™t be ā€œextenuating circumstancesā€ such as Suarez being banned and things like Gerrard being older (bloody ridiculous argument that, look at Scholes/Terry etc) and Sturridge being injured but then not include a regular first team player being suspended for 3 of the last 4 games.

Totally disagree - players get sent off.

He was over-reaching desperately trying to make up for a bad first touch. It happens - especially late on in games.

Listen Iā€™m one of the kidā€™s advocates - but Iā€™ll criticise where itā€™s fair. On that one I just think it was something and nothing - saying he let the team down is (for me) bending the facts to suit a narrative.

But hey - itā€™s 4 years ago so whatever.....

PS: agree with you re Gerrard and no excuse for Suarez ban - he f#ckinā€™ bit someone ffs ;)
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #330: Nov 04, 2017 11:49:36 am

He was over-reaching desperately trying to make up for a bad first touch. It happens - especially late on in games.

Listen Iā€™m one of the kidā€™s advocates - but Iā€™ll criticise where itā€™s fair. On that one I just think it was something and nothing - saying he let the team down is (for me) bending the facts to suit a narrative.

But hey - itā€™s 4 years ago so whatever.....

PS: agree with you re Gerrard and no excuse for Suarez ban - he f#ckinā€™ bit someone ffs ;)

Where have I actually said he let us down mate? I didnā€™t give an opinion either way, look back and you will see I was raising it as a question as to why that sending off wasnā€™t an extenuating circumstance. If that was just an unlucky sending off then surely thatā€™s the same as a player being unlucky with an injury? Either way there were players missing that season so surely they should all come under the same bracket regardless of the reason as to why they were missing?
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #331: Nov 04, 2017 11:55:10 am
      Where have I actually said he let us down mate? I didnā€™t give an opinion either way, look back and you will see I was raising it as a question as to why that sending off wasnā€™t an extenuating circumstance. If that was just an unlucky sending off then surely thatā€™s the same as a player being unlucky with an injury? Either way there were players missing that season so surely they should all come under the same bracket regardless of the reason as to why they were missing?

Apols if misunderstood mate.

Iā€™m now in the middle of painting the sitting room (apparently weā€™ve a new sofa coming in a fortnight!) so im not gonna get chance to go looking back.

Thereā€™s a lot in here blame him for every ill that befalls us and itā€™s just not fair / rational......Iā€™m just primed for that type cannon fodder.

Peace out. There emulsioning to be done ;)
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,937 posts | 502 
      Reply #332: Nov 04, 2017 03:23:51 pm
      Not being daft at all but there canā€™t be ā€œextenuating circumstancesā€ such as Suarez being banned and things like Gerrard being older (bloody ridiculous argument that, look at Scholes/Terry etc) and Sturridge being injured but then not include a regular first team player being suspended for 3 of the last 4 games. Mistimed tackle or a complete wreck less one, it doesnā€™t matter, the outcome was the same in terms of his availability.

Think you've misunderstood my post mate. I wasn't saying those were the reasons we didn't win the league, I was saying they were among the reasons why that team that had got to the level where they could compete for the league then when went into decline afterwards.
      I was also saying that ultimately the fault lay with FSG for not replacing those players who either declined or left with players of similar quality.
      DanMann

• 5,635 posts | 866 
      Reply #333: Nov 04, 2017 04:20:04 pm

I believe the record states that it was Moses at fault for Henderson's red card.  ;)
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #334: Nov 04, 2017 04:34:15 pm
      I believe the record states that it was Moses at fault for Henderson's red card.  ;)

;D - touch was really shameful :)
      bmck

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #335: Nov 04, 2017 07:54:45 pm
      We have a new captain fantastic !   Led us to a 4-1 win.  Well in Migs.   Everyone in here must be made up :)
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #336: Nov 04, 2017 08:09:56 pm
      We have a new captain fantastic !   Led us to a 4-1 win.  Well in Migs.   Everyone in here must be made up :)

Courtois and Kompany are in for a shock on Monday when Migs is named new captain and number 1 of Belgium
      Scottbot

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #337: Nov 05, 2017 08:30:12 am
      Can't remember who it was but someone suggested having a look at Henderson at CB. I actually think that's a decent idea. He has got some good attributes to play there.
      LFCSTEVE1984
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,729 posts | 408 
      Reply #338: Nov 05, 2017 08:38:23 am
      Can't remember who it was but someone suggested having a look at Henderson at CB. I actually think that's a decent idea. He has got some good attributes to play there.

Nar don't think he tackles enough, or puts his body on the line enough. Don't think he wins that many headers either.

Plus he'd only have Mignolet to pass back to  :f_tongueincheek:
      alex1995
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,185 posts | 165 
      Reply #339: Nov 05, 2017 09:09:04 am
      Did not miss him a bit yesterday... It says a lot about him.

It's not that I don;t like him, in fact,  I think he could be a very good player playing like Lampard, but at DM/no.6 spot (like Klopp calls it), he is very average and when you're average, you cannot be captain.

I don't mind that he's not a vocal leader but at least he should lead by example. He does not.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #340: Nov 05, 2017 10:05:07 am
      Nar don't think he tackles enough, or puts his body on the line enough. Don't think he wins that many headers either.

Plus he'd only have Mignolet to pass back to  :f_tongueincheek:

I agree He is pretty poor aerially a prerequisite for a CB.
      Harrisimo

• 7,968 posts | 1355 
      Reply #341: Nov 07, 2017 09:54:37 pm

I made that call. Few weeks ago as it happens. I think he is a good midfield player but he does lack a little bit of imagination. I don't doubt his character, he's been thru a lot here and come thru as captain. He gives everything, it's just that he doesn't take the game by the scruff often enough. He can obviously be very impressive but his game is just a touch to predictable. That and the fact that I saw others make the move back into the back 4, notably Emlyn Hughes, Phil Thompson and others.

I said in my original post that I thought Bob and Joe might of seen him as a center back, he can play, tackle, strong, not short of pace, decent in the air, can organise. I would give it some serious consideration. May be he has been sounded out....may be.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #342: Nov 08, 2017 02:05:56 am

Eventually this season, with everyone fit, it'll come down to him or Can in the deeper midfield role.
      I'd argue we could probably play Can in CB if it came down to it, and would nearly try it now if 4-2-3-1
      hasn't given us the answer we needed to being more solid.

bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #343: Nov 08, 2017 09:07:37 am
      I agree He is pretty poor aerially a prerequisite for a CB.

I wouldn't be sure that being "Poor aerially" is a prerequisite for a Centre Half mate. 😊

Joking aside, I get what you meant but...

"Poor aerially"? Is he really? Hmm...

Henderson (according to the offal) has won 70.6% of all his aerial duels.

Klavan and Gomez (the armchair aide's alternative to Lovren) - 55.2% & 50%, respectively. [Emre Can - only 47.1% btw]

Strangely enough Lovren scores 71.8% and, as you would expect, Matip scores highest with a whopping 84.4%.

Just for some perspective; Virgil van Dijk  yeah... that Virgil van Dijk scores 67.4%. 😕

As ever; people's perceptions of Jordan tend to cloud their judgement. Thankfully a lot of what folk say out loud, in the hope it's right, can be checked. 👍
      « Last Edit: Nov 08, 2017 09:29:17 am by bad boy bubby »
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #344: Nov 08, 2017 09:29:42 am
      Surely itā€™s clear to see how much Henderson divides opinion. We donā€™t have the same argument about anyone in the team and for a Captain that says it all.

Heā€™s an ok squad player, but he should be upgraded ASAP.

Quick Reply