Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 20th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W17 D7 L7

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Huddersfield?

Simon Mignolet
      3 (3.3%)
      Joe Gomez
      0 (0%)
      Joel Matip
      0 (0%)
      Ragnar Klavan
      2 (2.2%)
      Alberto Moreno
      4 (4.3%)
      Jordan Henderson
      13 (14.1%)
      James Milner
      4 (4.3%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      7 (7.6%)
      Mohammed Salah
      10 (10.9%)
      Roberto Firmino
      32 (34.8%)
      Daniel Sturridge
      16 (17.4%)
      Emre Can
      0 (0%)
      Dominic Solanke
      0 (0%)
      Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain
      1 (1.1%)

Total Members Voted: 90

Voting closed: Nov 01, 2017 03:55:41 pm

Liverpool 3-0 Huddersfield Town: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 27707 times
      RobieSlick
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,758 posts | 259 
      Re: Liverpool 3-0 Huddersfield Town: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #460: Oct 29, 2017 07:43:25 am
      Voted for Salah. Pen aside thought he was the only one interested for the full game.

And I know he's not Maldini but Klavan's a better CB than Lovren.

This.

I have been saying this for a while too. Yes, in this game there wasn't much of defending but generally from what I have seen is Matip is definitely much more composed when playing with Klavan than Lovren. Lovren seems to induce panic in Matip.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,278 posts | 763 
      Reply #461: Oct 29, 2017 09:32:36 am
      Decent 2 half performance, from what I saw on MotD  highlights. I was a bit puzzled why Milner, did not take the penalty, gained in the 1st half. I am sure he was playing, although did not have chance to read the team sheet.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 11,678 posts | 3699 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #462: Oct 29, 2017 09:45:26 am
      I glad with the three points and for our second half.

I gave my MOTM to Milner, he played well and his passing was direct and attacking.

Sturridge showed us what a striker is, being one on one and keeps calms in front of the keeper.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #463: Oct 29, 2017 10:45:06 am
      Let's just touch on this, because I don't know what the lad has to do to be seen sometimes.

Playing from the left side and from memory:

His run is what took 2 defenders away and left Sturridge free at the back stick from a Hendo or Milner cross.

His 1 - 2  with Salah on the edge of the box which gave Salah the shot on goal that was too central.

He won the penalty.

His run which took two defenders to him and caused the error to be presented to Sturridge for the first.

His brilliant control and slip inside to Sturridge who simply didn't have the pace or willingness to put his body on the line and beat the defender to the ball.

He scored from the corner.

That's got nothing at all to do with his defensive display on the left hand side either, he was up and down that channel relentlessly and Klopp bollocked Sturridge the moment they switched because he couldn't be arsed putting in the display Bobby did.

That was just in 65 minutes. He was superb.

I think your definition of superb differs from mine because nobody was superb for us yesterday. Or perhaps your standards are lower than mine maybe.

I like Bobby a lot and I'm not one of those people who doesn't notice the work he puts in or what he brings to our team like you suggest.

In my opinion he had a quiet game yesterday and that's compared to his usual standards and from what I've seen of him before.

To address your points:

Are you joking about his run creating the goal for us? You would have a point if he made a run and dragged the defenders away, which left sturridge unmarked and WE passed to sturridge in space who then scored. Moreno intended to pass to Bobby who was running down the channel though and had the ball reached him then i very much doubt it would have led to anything becsuse he was going nowhere. Their defender decides to make a lovren-esque error and intercept the ball with his head, heading it directly towards his own goal and straight in the path of sturridge who then scored. That goal wasn't down to the brilliance of Bobby or his amazing run one bit, it was jus shambolic defending  :lmao:

His 1-2 with salah was a good move yes but it was mostly salah who was involved and not Bobby. It was salah who dribbled with the ball, salah who used firmino for the 1-2, salah who had the shot. Bobbys part in that move was very small.

He didn't 'win' the penalty. When somebody wins a penalty it means forcing a defender to make a mis timed challenge to bring them down. In this case, their defender had pulled his shirt when we had a set piece. That defender would have done the exact same thing to anybody else who he was marking, it just so happened to be Bobby. It wasn't as if Bobby skipped past him with the ball and he was brought down as you're making out.

I sit in the upper centenary towards the anfield road end and at the time I thought sturridge missed a sitter/their defender made a great last ditch tackle. However, I've watched the replay and bobbys square pass actually falls a yard behind Danny which lets the defender in to make the tackle. If he plays the ball infront of Danny like he should then it's impossible for the defender to make the challenge. Bobbys first touch was sh*te as well and he didn't bring the ball down like he should have. So your use of the word 'brilliant' to describe his control is just simply wrong. If his first touch was good, he would have been able to make the pass.  Also, that move was all about the quality of hendersons pass to Bobby and not bobbys pass to sturridge anyway. It was a simple square pass to sturridge and Bobby didn't execute it. Watch it again.

His goal was good, very poor defending and marking for their man and if we had conceded that then there would be uproar on here, but I'm not taking anything away from Bobby there, he wanted it more. Well controlled header too.

Defensive display? What defensive display?! Huddersfield had no intention of attacking us! I have no idea what the possession stats are but I'd guess it was around 80?!

You have definitely over hyped his performance. Nobody played particularly well yesterday. The first half was dire and even though the second half was better we weren't exactly at our best where we. We were far from it actually. I was struggling to pick a motm yesterday and that's because everybody played at a 5/6 level. Nobody stood out.

MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #464: Oct 29, 2017 11:05:22 am
      Let's just touch on this, because I don't know what the lad has to do to be seen sometimes.

Playing from the left side and from memory:

His run is what took 2 defenders away and left Sturridge free at the back stick from a Hendo or Milner cross.

His 1 - 2  with Salah on the edge of the box which gave Salah the shot on goal that was too central.

He won the penalty.

His run which took two defenders to him and caused the error to be presented to Sturridge for the first.

His brilliant control and slip inside to Sturridge who simply didn't have the pace or willingness to put his body on the line and beat the defender to the ball.

He scored from the corner.

That's got nothing at all to do with his defensive display on the left hand side either, he was up and down that channel relentlessly and Klopp bollocked Sturridge the moment they switched because he couldn't be arsed putting in the display Bobby did.

That was just in 65 minutes. He was superb.

Same old same old people .... arent they Luke?

Some people just don't want to notice what Bobby does.

My MOTM by a long way and nice to see the majority think the same.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #465: Oct 29, 2017 12:12:53 pm
      Same old same old people .... arent they Luke?

Some people just don't want to notice what Bobby does.

Exactly mate, I believe the phrase: none so blind as those who will not see.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,421 posts | 4581 
      Reply #466: Oct 29, 2017 12:16:25 pm
      Exactly mate, I believe the phrase: none so blind as those who will not see.

To quote Rafa :  "Some people cannot see a priest on a mountain of sugar."
      rossyred
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,244 posts | 1652 
      Reply #467: Oct 29, 2017 12:24:35 pm
      Think the reason why people argue about Firmino is because some go way and above stating his actual ability. A steady 7/10 player in my book neither great nor poor who we still have not found  a position for as he is clearly no No 9 as his finishing and pace not there. I am certain his best position would be in the Midfield 3 as most forward of them
      Tadders
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,724 posts | 567 
      Reply #468: Oct 29, 2017 12:48:40 pm
      We have a big opportunity next week to get right back in amongst the top 4, City play Arsenal, Man Utd play Chelsea.
      If we can get a win at West Ham then we may well see light at the end of this sh*t patch.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #469: Oct 29, 2017 01:16:41 pm
      Firmino scored around 7 or 8 goals this season in 15ish games.
      Good record, rather have him than Suarez with his 3 in 12 games.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #470: Oct 29, 2017 01:22:40 pm
      On no (known) planet is 35% "the majority"... nice try tho'. 😄

So anyhows... divisive sh*te aside - a nice result which keeps us only 12 points behind. A 1.5 deficit, per game, even at this early stage, would have been insurmountable (in my opinion obviously).

bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,503 posts | 1648 
      • YNWA
      Reply #471: Oct 29, 2017 01:44:52 pm
      You have definitely over hyped his performance. Nobody played particularly well yesterday. The first half was dire and even though the second half was better we weren't exactly at our best where we. We were far from it actually. I was struggling to pick a motm yesterday and that's because everybody played at a 5/6 level. Nobody stood out.

The 'Bobby lobby' will always overinflate his performance. Don't know why.
      Completely agree that yesterday, though we won 3-0, nobody really stood out.
      And wouldn't pay much attention to the poll - when 3 people vote for Mignolet, kinda takes from the general reliability of the result.
      6stringer
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,051 posts | 517 
      Reply #472: Oct 29, 2017 08:40:51 pm
      Nervy at times and a frustrating first half for me and many others around the world to watch... then pressed more towards the Kop end which paid off in the second half.
      Despite not having three of our major playmakers on the pitch we upped the tempo and battered them second half.

Baffled as to how Mo Salah ended up taking the penalty but I wasn't at the game, did he pick the ball up and insist on taking it? or did no f**ker else wanna take it? Milner takes a decent pen, what was up with him?

3 points on the bag against a very sh*t Huddersfield team (or did we make them look sh*t?)
      Either way it's a step forward from that pathetic showing last week at wembley.

Funny ol game isn't it..
      We've only lost 2 x league games since the season started ( yet conceded 9 goals in those 2 x games )
      Hard to believe isn't it.. ???

FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,231 posts | 6359 
      Reply #473: Oct 29, 2017 09:34:43 pm
      Firmino scored around 7 or 8 goals this season in 15ish games.
      Good record, rather have him than Suarez with his 3 in 12 games.

And you say other people are WUM’s.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,595 posts | 3839 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #474: Oct 29, 2017 09:38:29 pm
      3 points on the bag against a very sh*t Huddersfield team (or did we make them look sh*t?)

Well they did beat United.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,968 posts | 3052 
      Reply #475: Oct 29, 2017 09:43:55 pm
      And you say other people are WUM’s.

Would’ve been more honest if he’d posted a pic of a fishing rod FL.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,089 posts | 8521 
      Reply #476: Oct 29, 2017 09:44:55 pm
      Definitely a game of two halves yesterday. First half the usual side to side boreathon we had started to become used.

Second half got the goal through a bit of luck, then smelt blood and went for the throat.

Would be nice to see that attitude from the second half when we go a goal down in games.

Three points and we move on!
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #477: Oct 29, 2017 10:58:51 pm
      Nervy at times and a frustrating first half for me and many others around the world to watch... then pressed more towards the Kop end which paid off in the second half.
      Despite not having three of our major playmakers on the pitch we upped the tempo and battered them second half.

Baffled as to how Mo Salah ended up taking the penalty but I wasn't at the game, did he pick the ball up and insist on taking it? or did no f**ker else wanna take it? Milner takes a decent pen, what was up with him?

Either way it's a step forward from that pathetic showing last week at wembley.

Funny ol game isn't it..
      We've only lost 2 x league games since the season started ( yet conceded 9 goals in those 2 x games )
      Hard to believe isn't it.. ???

Sturridge actually picked the ball up first and salah then took it off him. Sturridge shrugged his shoulders and walked away disappointed. Milner was nowhere to be seen which I found surprising too.

Huddersfield were very, very poor. I was surprised how bad they were because I've seen them a few times this season and they've always played some nice football. They didn't show any attacking intent and put everybody behind the ball letting us play. Strange tactics i thought because we were under a lot of pressure, in bad form, low on confidence and had key players out. It was the perfect time to play us you'd have thought.

First half we were really sh*t and that's being kind. Second half we were better but nothing to sing home about. 3-0 flattered us.
      6stringer
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,051 posts | 517 
      Reply #478: Oct 29, 2017 11:49:31 pm
      Sturridge actually picked the ball up first and salah then took it off him. Sturridge shrugged his shoulders and walked away disappointed. Milner was nowhere to be seen which I found surprising too.

Huddersfield were very, very poor. I was surprised how bad they were because I've seen them a few times this season and they've always played some nice football. They didn't show any attacking intent and put everybody behind the ball letting us play. Strange tactics i thought because we were under a lot of pressure, in bad form, low on confidence and had key players out. It was the perfect time to play us you'd have thought.

First half we were really sh*t and that's being kind. Second half we were better but nothing to sing home about. 3-0 flattered us.

Thanks for clearing the penalty taker fiasco out H.
      Like kids on a school playground ! :roll: The captain should've sorted it out, that's his job on the pitch !

Yeah, no doubt Jürgen handed a tasty bottle of Liebfraumilch to Wagner after that.. :drink:
      Cheers or should I say Prost
      Well it is Oktoberfest time ! ;D
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,290 posts | 1514 
      Reply #479: Oct 30, 2017 12:00:34 am
      I thought we were very nervous first half, and almost scared they would score on the counter if we got too far up the field . Hence the lack of forward runs for the midfield to  pick out. Following the lucky break and a great finish from Sturrridge, it seemed, if only psychologically, we seemed to believe they had to open up and try and score which would give us more space to play. They never, but we did, with swifter passing and more forward movement. Made a huge difference and we could have had more than 3.
      Really sh*t start to the season, yet we find we’re in 6th 2 points Off 4th so there’s a good chance we can make up more ground, especially with the return of our top 3 players expected soon.
      I’ve been in despair of late but things might not be as bad as I’ve imagined. Next few games will tell.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #480: Oct 30, 2017 12:07:27 am
      Put Sturridge in a team that is set up for him, and he will shine, but as things stand, he hasn't adapted his game to the demands Klopp makes on his forwards.

At one point Jürgen was giving him a good spray to work harder and get back in to position on the left wing to allow Bob to play central.

I think his time is borrowed at the club until we get someone who is a natural finisher and a better fit for the side. He's still our best finisher at the club and I don't think we'll see him leave until someone comes in who is as reliable in front of goal.

Anyways, i gave Bob my MOTM. Grafted and opened up chances in the second half plus he got a goal. Not too many to choose from though. Worryingly dire performances from many key positions.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,089 posts | 8521 
      Reply #481: Oct 30, 2017 05:22:21 am
      Like kids on a school playground ! :roll: The captain should've sorted it out, that's his job on the pitch !

Highly unlikely, last time that happened, he got bullied to F**k by Ballotelli!!

Quick Reply