Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Huddersfield?

Simon Mignolet
      3 (3.3%)
      Joe Gomez
      0 (0%)
      Joel Matip
      0 (0%)
      Ragnar Klavan
      2 (2.2%)
      Alberto Moreno
      4 (4.3%)
      Jordan Henderson
      13 (14.1%)
      James Milner
      4 (4.3%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      7 (7.6%)
      Mohammed Salah
      10 (10.9%)
      Roberto Firmino
      32 (34.8%)
      Daniel Sturridge
      16 (17.4%)
      Emre Can
      0 (0%)
      Dominic Solanke
      0 (0%)
      Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain
      1 (1.1%)

Total Members Voted: 90

Voting closed: Nov 01, 2017 03:55:41 pm

Liverpool 3-0 Huddersfield Town: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 27776 times
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Re: Liverpool 3-0 Huddersfield Town: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #414: Oct 28, 2017 05:19:50 pm
      Ratings:

Mig: Had very little to do but still managed to look nervous and dodgy in his distribution. 6

Moreno: Did well, a few excellent crosses, recovered when needed but overall had little to do. 6.5

Klavan: Again, didn't have an awful lot to do, but what he had to do he did well enough. 6.5

Matip: Should have scored a couple but in defence did what he had to also, hard to score anything higher. 6.5

Gomez: Thought he looked good and composed, but much like his defensive partners didn't really have much pressure or attacking threat to contend with. 6.5

Henderson: Better, thought his passing was more incisive and he attempted to unlock their lines more often and with a bit more imagination. 7

Gini: Thought he played well and covered for our lads well. Looked a bit leaner and quicker across the ground too. Loved his goal, was easily the goal of the game and did fine when he was shifted to the left too. 7

Milner: Took some decent corners for a change but thought he was a passenger in the first half, didn't offer any real threat and looked lost as to what his role was. 6.5

Salah: Should score a couple of goals on today's display, obviously the pen but there were more chances which he should have done a touch better with. Was still a threat all the time and him & Bobby linked very well, it's a partnership that's really flourishing. 7

Bobby: Won the pen, scored a nice header and was constantly making space for his team-mates. His link up play and the way he injects the extra speed to our attack is something we really lack in midfield at the moment. 7.5 MotM

Sturridge: Scored the goal that unlocked the game so for that he deserves credit, didn't do much else though if we're honest. Thought he was by far our weakest link in the first half but justified his place with the goal. 6.5

AOC: Thought he looked good when he came on, offered a nice threat on the wing and seemed to choose the right passes this time. My stream stopped for when I think he should have slotted Solanke in?! Commentary continued but didn't see it, other than that though it was the best he's looked for us and he's starting to show some form now. 6

Klopp: Thought he got the team selection wrong, but interesting that Lovren was 'injured' in the warm-up, have to wonder how much by design or was it Lovren's mentality, who knows and doubt we'll actually find out. Overall we delivered a professional performance and another clean sheet at home, so can't argue with that, well in Jürgen. 7

Lovren's fate in the last week or so has to be one of the most tragic things I have ever seen encounter a Liverpool player.

Like yourself I'd not be surprised to know that it wasn't an injury and that in fact his head had totally gone and lost any little confidence he had left in his own ability.

If so, there's surely no return from that point.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #415: Oct 28, 2017 05:40:37 pm
      Who voted for Mignolet? he saved all of the 0 shots they had on target I guess...
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,517 posts | 1508 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #416: Oct 28, 2017 05:42:49 pm
      Lovren's fate in the last week or so has to be one of the most tragic things I have ever seen encounter a Liverpool player.

Like yourself I'd not be surprised to know that it wasn't an injury and that in fact his head had totally gone and lost any little confidence he had left in his own ability.

If so, there's surely no return from that point.

He'll be back playing for us as soon as he's fit. As soon as.
      Pippen
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 692 posts | 46 
      Reply #417: Oct 28, 2017 05:42:54 pm
      Read a few people saying what the f**k is he taking them for, never let him take them again etc etc

This is the  lad who took and scored a brilliant penalty to get his country through to the world cup for the first time since 1990 in front of a pack stadium.

The penalty was just in the worst possible spot. A good penalty is when even if the keeper gets the right spot you still have a decent chance he cannot save the ball. Salah's penalty was on a spot where I, you, our wifes/girlfriends and even our grandmas would have saved the ball assuming we got the right corner. Just a plain bad penalty. Southgate in 1996, semifinals vs. Germany was another of such a bad category.

Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,517 posts | 1508 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #418: Oct 28, 2017 05:44:29 pm
      Jeff Stelling said their keeper was about five yards off his line when Salah took the penalty
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #419: Oct 28, 2017 05:47:33 pm
      Interesting to watch how 2 blokes who know each other so well set up their teams.

It seems clear that Wagner wanted to nullify the threat Moreno poses down the left, and every time he got the ball he was pushed up on very quickly, which in turn meant he dropped deeper, and as the opposition went with him, it left a gap in behind that we really should have exploited more, so that particular tactical battle goes to Klopp, as does the right hand side in the 2nd half, with both Henderson and Milner helping to create an overload on that side, which in turn left Moreno and Firmino a lot of space on the left.

Put Sturridge in a team that is set up for him, and he will shine, but as things stand, he hasn't adapted his game to the demands Klopp makes on his forwards.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,974 posts | 3058 
      Reply #420: Oct 28, 2017 05:49:28 pm
      Predicted it in the pre-match.

You’re welcome.

Why am I so sh*t at the prediction league then........?  :roll:
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,449 posts | 4584 
      Reply #421: Oct 28, 2017 05:51:03 pm
      Not seen the game but glad we won & a much needed 3 points & a clean sheet.

RobieSlick
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,758 posts | 259 
      Reply #422: Oct 28, 2017 05:53:59 pm
      Haha I think Simon Mignolet follows this forum since he has one vote on MOTM. :)

p.s. On the other side I didn't see most of the 1st half, so maybe....

I voted for Mignolet because of clean sheet (I know he didn't have any saves to make but even then). I am not sure I will be able to vote for Mignolet again. :)
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,343 posts | 1529 
      Reply #423: Oct 28, 2017 05:54:41 pm
      Well after Huddersfield beat Mancs, Spuds beat us, Mancs beat Spuds, and we beat Huddersfield 😳

Funny old game ain’t it 😊

Didn’t see the game, just glad of the 3 points however we played 😬

Need to build on this that’s for sure.

Will take a look at motd for motm.

Onwards and upwards !
      Fourbrick
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 845 posts | 235 
      Reply #424: Oct 28, 2017 05:55:31 pm
      A win is a win, but please let Salah never ever do a penalty again, worst penalty I've seen for a long time. I didn't see most of the game in the 1st half: how many big chances - besides the penalty - did we have?

Don't you remember Milner's penalty against Southampton, where he was psyched out of iy by Frazer?
      Pippen
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 692 posts | 46 
      Reply #425: Oct 28, 2017 05:57:38 pm
      Put Sturridge in a team that is set up for him, and he will shine, but as things stand, he hasn't adapted his game to the demands Klopp makes on his forwards.

100% agreement. Sturridge looks like a stranger in our system. He has skill, but he just doesn't fit into Klopp's system that demands heavy workloads of his players. Sturridge is a striker that more or less waits till something happens and a striker that needs space - space we usually don't have because we usually play against a bus in the box. Still he's important as a back-up or when we lead 1-0.

Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,616 posts | 2159 
      Reply #426: Oct 28, 2017 05:59:07 pm
      There's a lot of "it's a win but..." posts in here?

3 goals. Clean sheet that'll do but....
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,023 posts | 529 
      Reply #427: Oct 28, 2017 06:00:41 pm
      Didn't see it, but obviously a win we really needed.

Lovren got injured in the warm up did he?
      Pippen
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 692 posts | 46 
      Reply #428: Oct 28, 2017 06:01:25 pm
      Don't you remember Milner's penalty against Southampton, where he was psyched out of iy by Frazer?

No, maybe that was another bad one. It's just that I cannot understand why they do not train that stuff more kind of like e.g. kickers do in the NFL. You always can have penalty shoot-out's and...well on the other side: we are in England and I am a German, so maybe this explains a lot in terms of penalty quality. :P
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #429: Oct 28, 2017 06:02:55 pm
      100% agreement. Sturridge looks like a stranger in our system. He has skill, but he just doesn't fit into Klopp's system that demands heavy workloads of his players. Sturridge is a striker that more or less waits till something happens and a striker that needs space - space we usually don't have because we usually play against a bus in the box. Still he's important as a back-up or when we lead 1-0.

Klopp has beefed him up a bit, and his hold up play has improved, now he needs to get his head up more often and pick out the runners.
      I don't mind him sitting on the shoulder of the CB, but he also needs to learn when to put pressure on other players.

I've never had any doubt about his ability, just his attitude and application, which would include his "injury" record.
      Pippen
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 692 posts | 46 
      Reply #430: Oct 28, 2017 06:05:01 pm
      There's a lot of "it's a win but..." posts in here?

3 goals. Clean sheet that'll do but....

The problem: We looked not good up to 1-0 which was a gift to us (after that it's different because spaces open). We still cannot deal with opponents that park the bus in the box. As long as we struggle with this tactics teams will use it. I hope of Countinho to get back to form, along with Lallana or Clyne coming back, with those we should have enough to break those defenses.

p.s. Of course a win is a win, nice feeling anyway after all those weeks.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #431: Oct 28, 2017 06:11:43 pm
      Wow, I thought they were going to come at us a lot more than they did, I wasn't expecting them to just try and sit back the whole game, especially when we took the lead.
      Scottbot

• 9,616 posts | 2159 
      Reply #432: Oct 28, 2017 06:12:36 pm
      The problem: We looked not good up to 1-0 which was a gift to us (after that it's different because spaces open). We still cannot deal with opponents that park the bus in the box. As long as we struggle with this tactics teams will use it. I hope of Countinho to get back to form, along with Lallana or Clyne coming back, with those we should have enough to break those defenses.

p.s. Of course a win is a win, nice feeling anyway after all those weeks.

Well we didn't struggle with the us parkers today so that'll do for me!
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #433: Oct 28, 2017 06:16:37 pm
      Heard conspiracy theory that Lovren's 'injury' was made up just to protect him and Jürgen never actually planned to start him at all ;)
      N-ah I heard that it was a muscle problem. His anal sphincter muscles went   :f_tongueincheek:
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #434: Oct 28, 2017 06:21:30 pm
      Excellent that 2nd half. 👍
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #435: Oct 28, 2017 06:23:48 pm
      Not seen a minute of the game so i'll taje the result at face value. 3 goals a clean sheet and a much needed victory and 3 points.

Salah on pens - not for me. The lad quite simply is a pretty poor finisher and not someone who can naturally slot a ball past a keeper often enough.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #436: Oct 28, 2017 06:25:46 pm
      That'll do. A good old bollocking at half time did it.

Still think it's disgraceful Mignolet started this game however thank goodness he had nothing to do.

Quick Reply