Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Huddersfield?

Simon Mignolet
      3 (3.3%)
      Joe Gomez
      0 (0%)
      Joel Matip
      0 (0%)
      Ragnar Klavan
      2 (2.2%)
      Alberto Moreno
      4 (4.3%)
      Jordan Henderson
      13 (14.1%)
      James Milner
      4 (4.3%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      7 (7.6%)
      Mohammed Salah
      10 (10.9%)
      Roberto Firmino
      32 (34.8%)
      Daniel Sturridge
      16 (17.4%)
      Emre Can
      0 (0%)
      Dominic Solanke
      0 (0%)
      Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain
      1 (1.1%)

Total Members Voted: 90

Voting closed: Nov 01, 2017 03:55:41 pm

Liverpool 3-0 Huddersfield Town: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 27801 times
      hoganov
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,715 posts | 162 
      Re: Liverpool 3-0 Huddersfield Town: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #437: Oct 28, 2017 06:25:56 pm
      Delighted with the win. Didnt see the game myself but sounds like it needed a goal to liven it up. Another thrashing for Maribor now on Wednesday night will do nicely thank you very much.
      hoganov
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,715 posts | 162 
      Reply #438: Oct 28, 2017 06:28:41 pm
      Anybody who got to see the game, how did our midfield play? Particulary Hendo and Milner..
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,031 posts | 1978 
      Reply #439: Oct 28, 2017 06:31:37 pm
      How can you leave the ground after winning 3-0 but still feel disappointed?

I didn't like the team that was named. In particular, I couldn't believe Mignolet had kept his shirt and I wanted Gomez in the middle because I don't rate Klavan one bit. 

The midfield three don't have a creative bone between them and firmino is usually ineffective on the flank and sturridge is always rusty because he never gets a long run in the side.

The first half brought no surprises as we struggled to break down a stubborn Huddersfield side who had no intention of playing football or going for the three points at all.

It was the same old sh*te. Boring sideways football for 45 minutes with Henderson being the biggest culprit. Not one player had the balls to dribble past somebody. Very few tried a cross and apart from Milner, I don't remember us having a shot either.  It was poor.

Second half starts and we look a lot better. Our passing is more crisp and we've raised the tempo. We got a bit lucky with the first goal but it completely opened the game up then.

Shortly before the second goal, Henderson plays a forward pass about 40 yards straight to firmino who's in behind their back line. He squares it to sturridge who has a tap in but their defender came from nowhere and made a last ditch tackle. Point of this is why not pass forward more hendo??? He almost created a goal by looking up and going forward for once! In fact, I'm pretty sure it was that corner that led to our second goal. We were cruising now.

That pass gave Henderson a bit of confidence because shortly afterwards he went hunting the ball down when a Huddersfield player was in possession. The Huddersfield player got himself in all kinds of trouble and the crowd reacted and roared hendo on. Hendo won the ball and we were through on goal but the ref pulled it back and said it was foul - wasnt convinced myself. But again, why haven't you been doing more of this? This is what we want and this is what we need!

Couple of subs and the ox comes on and so does can. Bizarre tactics from Jürgen though because wijnaldum ended up LW!

Klopp showed me though because who was in the box and fired a bullet into the Huddersfield goal? Yes, wijnaldum. Great finish and game over.

I've got to say Huddersfield were dreadful today. I wasn't expecting them to put bodies behind the ball and play for a draw. I thought we were there for the taking with a few players missing and out back four being such a shambles but they were so, so negative. I don't remember them having a shot during the whole 90 mins - it was like a training session.

Mignolet - very lucky boy because with the spotlight firmly on him at the moment he wasn't tested once today.

Gomez - had no problems, wasn't tested. Did well on the ball.

Matip - had no problems, wasn't tested. Good on the ball and carried it out from the back well. Nearly scored from a corner and perhaps should have - need to see the replay.

Klavan - had no problems, wasn't tested. couple of clumsy mistakes, giving possession away, but in general ok.

Moreno - had no problems, wasn't tested. He hasn't put a foot wrong for a long time now and it was another steady performance today. Did wellxgoing forward. Due to the lack of contenders I gave him Motm.

Hendo - Really, really sh*te in the first half but he improved in the second.

Milner - I like Milner because he wears his heart on his sleeve. Few awesome deliveries into the box but in general he lacks mobility, speed and that top quality to play in this midfield.

Wijnaldum - very quiet in the first half. Similar to Henderson he improved in the second and scored a good goal.

Firmino - I'm surprised he's leading the motm poll because I thought he had a quiet game.

Salah - missed a pen but he was our best player in that first half. Not as threatening as usual though.

Sturridge - glad he got on the score sheet but feel sorry for the lad. He looks rusty whenever he plays to me and it's not surprising because he never has a decent run in the side.

Ox - did very very well when he came on. Somebody who was willing to run with the ball. I'd like to see him start next game in the midfield three.

Can - got involved in unnecessary sh*t towards the end of the game and could have and probably should have been booked. Did little else.

Solanke - came on towards the end and some great hold up play and lay offs. The big guy has a good touch. I also wouldn't mind seeing him get a start soon.

To summarise. A very dire first half. Second half we improved. Huddersfield weren't interested in playing or attacking and that surprised me.

Got the win, and it was deserved in the end, but next game we need to start it like we finished the second half today.
      « Last Edit: Oct 28, 2017 06:54:14 pm by HamannsTheMan »
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #440: Oct 28, 2017 06:32:10 pm
      Anybody who got to see the game, how did our midfield play? Particulary Hendo and Milner..

Honestly? First half they were non existent and putting in their standard performance we've come to expect from them. Hendo first half highlight was busting a gut 20 yards back into his own half to get the ball when Matip had already said he had it.

2nd half they were better but nothing special.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #441: Oct 28, 2017 06:53:31 pm
      Good result. Hoping for some consistency going forward.

I suspect we will yet again be playing a team with a new manager in our next league match, hopefully that goes better for us than Leicester last season.

KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #442: Oct 28, 2017 07:03:01 pm
      Well we didn't struggle with the us parkers today so that'll do for me!

Exactly Scott.

That'll do. A good old bollocking at half time did it.

Saw a stat not so long ago that we have earned the most points of any manager in the premier league from half time. Meaning Klopp's half-time team talks have quite the impact, of course it has to be taken in context of perhaps other teams are more likely to be winning by half-time but it still says how he changes the game from the break.

JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,654 posts | 6949 
      Reply #443: Oct 28, 2017 07:09:42 pm
      Voted for Salah. Pen aside thought he was the only one interested for the full game.

And I know he's not Maldini but Klavan's a better CB than Lovren.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,974 posts | 3058 
      Reply #444: Oct 28, 2017 07:16:02 pm
      There's a lot of "it's a win but..." posts in here?

3 goals. Clean sheet that'll do but....

Yeh you’d almost think some folks are disappointed mate wouldn’t you........ :f_doh:
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #445: Oct 28, 2017 07:22:48 pm
      Firmino - I'm surprised he's leading the motm poll because I thought he had a quiet game.

Let's just touch on this, because I don't know what the lad has to do to be seen sometimes.

Playing from the left side and from memory:

His run is what took 2 defenders away and left Sturridge free at the back stick from a Hendo or Milner cross.

His 1 - 2  with Salah on the edge of the box which gave Salah the shot on goal that was too central.

He won the penalty.

His run which took two defenders to him and caused the error to be presented to Sturridge for the first.

His brilliant control and slip inside to Sturridge who simply didn't have the pace or willingness to put his body on the line and beat the defender to the ball.

He scored from the corner.

That's got nothing at all to do with his defensive display on the left hand side either, he was up and down that channel relentlessly and Klopp bollocked Sturridge the moment they switched because he couldn't be arsed putting in the display Bobby did.

That was just in 65 minutes. He was superb.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,434 posts | 3417 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #446: Oct 28, 2017 07:36:54 pm
      Good result, 2 halves were night and day, amazing how a win lifts the mood, well for most people,  some on here can surely lighten up until Wednesday at least surely. 3 of our best players to come back into the team so let's try a bit of positivity guys
      Aggerdoo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,491 posts | 232 
      Reply #447: Oct 28, 2017 07:46:39 pm
      Really good response in the second half, job done.

I hope Klopp makes major changes and gives everyone else a run-out on Wednesday, we should be comfortable at home against Maribor.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,331 posts | 6386 
      Reply #448: Oct 28, 2017 08:06:27 pm
      Controlled the entire game which was good since Mignolet didn’t have a chance to screw up.

Thought Klavan was miles better than Lovren. Matip needs to work on his headers, could have had two more goals.

Gomez is impressing me, games never too big for him.

Firmino and Henderson ran things and harassed incessantly.

Knew Salah was going to miss his penalty and overall he had a fairly quiet game for his recent performances.

Gini got a goal but not sure what he did other than that to warrant getting to play. Thought Ox looked decent when he came on, but still looks like a square peg in a round hole that we paid way too much money for.

Overall, glad we won. Smash Maribor in Wednesday and let’s go on a run.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #449: Oct 28, 2017 08:27:01 pm
      1st half was dire.
      Glad they came out with intent in the 2nd half.
      3 points. Clean sheet. Job done.
      Would like to see Solanke and Alex start v Maribor.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,974 posts | 3058 
      Reply #450: Oct 28, 2017 08:38:05 pm
      1st half was dire.
      Glad they came out with intent in the 2nd half.
      3 points. Clean sheet. Job done.
      Would like to see Solanke and Alex start v Maribor.

Confidence is so thin mate.

Genuinely not sure whether to mix it up or not......

But otherwise yeh......plus Robbo
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #451: Oct 28, 2017 09:01:05 pm
      Confidence is so thin mate.

Genuinely not sure whether to mix it up or not......

But otherwise yeh......plus Robbo

Confidence shot and atmosphere pensive with the same back 5 on the team sheet.
      Important 3 points, but squad already looking thin with Lallana, Mane & Coutinho out.
      Arguably our 3 most vital players.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,974 posts | 3058 
      Reply #452: Oct 28, 2017 09:17:03 pm
      Arguably our 3 most vital players.

Weird huh.

I think Adam might just be our most influential.

Sadio and Phil biggest game-changers.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #453: Oct 28, 2017 09:21:36 pm
      Weird huh.

I think Adam might just be our most influential.

Sadio and Phil biggest game-changers.

Pressing stats are well down this season.
      I'd say a lot of that is down to Lallana being out.
      trebor12
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,035 posts | 69 
      Reply #454: Oct 28, 2017 09:33:27 pm
      I gave my MOTM to Henderson just because I think he worked hard today. We can all give MOTM awards to attackers and goal scorers I just think he pressed well and tryed to get around the pitch well .Wether he's still captain material I don't know but he got my vote today.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #455: Oct 28, 2017 09:40:39 pm
      I gave my MOTM to Henderson just because I think he worked hard today. We can all give MOTM awards to attackers and goal scorers I just think he pressed well and tryed to get around the pitch well .Wether he's still captain material I don't know but he got my vote today.

Thought he was the best player on the pitch today. More than a few of his long passes, if hit by previous captains, would have people jizzing in their shorts.
      lreland
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,360 posts | 116 
      Reply #456: Oct 28, 2017 09:47:03 pm
      Good win play well in second half but what happened to Robertson he never seem get game bit odd
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,180 posts | 1097 
      Reply #457: Oct 28, 2017 11:46:38 pm
      Hendo was my MOTM today. Played the ball forward a lot, pressed really well, and took chances. He needs to take a page out of Salahs book and just start taking more chances. Mo doesn't finish all that well, and yet he has scored 9 goals already this year because he puts himself in position to take chances. Hendo needs to do this with crosses and passes. People will forget about the ones you don't convert when you create a few chances. I loved his aggressive play today and want to see a lot more of that good big forward.
      redkop63
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #458: Oct 29, 2017 12:31:58 am
      Really mind-boggling. First half as bad as the game against Spurs. 2nd half as good as the thrashing of Maribor. Is it something got to do with the tactics, players' confidence, players' urgency, players' commitment and/or something else? Not sure what is right and wrong anymore. More importantly, we got 3 points and also more importantly we got the ball deep into the opposition box more often that resulted in the goals. Less dallying that I saw in the match particularly the second half that Huddersfield has less time to regroup.
      « Last Edit: Oct 29, 2017 12:48:37 am by redkop63 »
      Muzzman1969
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 919 posts | 41 
      Reply #459: Oct 29, 2017 01:20:27 am
      Good 3 points, and nice to open the scoring from a defensive error.  Well taken goals, and the tempo of the second half was much better and at times we seemed to move the ball forward a bit quicker.  I do think Milly is a better option in the midfield 3, he seems more positive.

If we get through the next 2 games in good shape, then we will hopefully be close to full strength after the break.

Quick Reply