Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Burnley?

Caoimhin Kelleher
      8 (13.3%)
      Jarell Quansah
      0 (0%)
      Virgil van Dijk
      0 (0%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      1 (1.7%)
      Andy Robertson
      6 (10%)
      Alexis Mac Allister
      0 (0%)
      Wataru Endo
      17 (28.3%)
      Curtis Jones
      0 (0%)
      Luis Diaz
      0 (0%)
      Darwin NĂșñez
      2 (3.3%)
      Diogo Jota
      6 (10%)
      Cody Gakpo
      0 (0%)
      Harvey Elliott
      20 (33.3%)

Total Members Voted: 60

Voting closed: Feb 14, 2024 04:59:09 pm

Liverpool 3-1 Burnley: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 6779 times
      The-AllMightyReds
      • Forum John Barnes

• 419 posts | 80 
      Re: Liverpool 3-1 Burnley: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #391: Feb 10, 2024 09:51:52 pm
      because - Bradley is on bereavement leave and Gomez is ill. Ibou suspended and our Greek Scouser plays on the left. Ain't anybody left

Surely we'd have been better off with Jones starting there and bringing in Grav/Harvey from the start?

For me it's fairly straight forward, unless you're 100% you shouldn't start.
      RedBelle
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 731 posts | 120 
      Reply #392: Feb 10, 2024 09:55:06 pm

Why are we the only team that's suffering these reinjuries? Szobo, Thiago, Trent. It's beyond a joke.

We're not the only team
      Oleksandr Zinchenko has a recurring calf issue
      Joelinton has thigh issues
      Gabriel Jesus has a recurring knee issue
      Even Woy's Palace (Elise and Eze) have recurring injuries
      And there's loads more - we're not the only ones - but because the stakes for us are so high we feel it more!
      RedBelle
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 731 posts | 120 
      Reply #393: Feb 10, 2024 09:57:02 pm
      Surely we'd have been better off with Jones starting there and bringing in Grav/Harvey from the start?

For me it's fairly straight forward, unless you're 100% you shouldn't start.

I think the general agreement from those on here is Harvey is far far better as an impact sub with his energy.
      For me no way should Grav be starting as (and this is just me personally) I think he has a lot to prove! He has flashes of brilliance but they're just that = flashes! Blink and you miss them!
      And I've just seen that Klopp says Grav also 'felt something' in the warm up so he wouldn't have played!
      « Last Edit: Feb 10, 2024 10:04:08 pm by RedBelle »
      The-AllMightyReds
      • Forum John Barnes

• 419 posts | 80 
      Reply #394: Feb 10, 2024 10:19:48 pm
      I think the general agreement from those on here is Harvey is far far better as an impact sub with his energy.
      For me no way should Grav be starting as (and this is just me personally) I think he has a lot to prove! He has flashes of brilliance but they're just that = flashes! Blink and you miss them!
      And I've just seen that Klopp says Grav also 'felt something' in the warm up so he wouldn't have played!

He's undoubtedly been better as a sub but I don't think it helps when the team generally don't get going until the 2nd half, I'd even rather seen Mcconnell start if I heard before Trent wasn't ready. The guy couldn't run out there, as good as he is on he ball.....it's not worth the risk.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #395: Feb 10, 2024 10:50:59 pm

Don’t think I’d hold up your national team as any kind of bell weather 😂
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #396: Feb 10, 2024 11:03:26 pm
      Game of 2 halves, no? We usually take a half to figure out an opponent then throw everything at them 2nd half. I thought our back 4 were pretty poor as well, Kelleher saved their bacon once or twice.

Considering we were missing 5 starters, we did alright.

We were playing one of the worst teams in the league, I thought we were lucky they didn’t have a striker considering the number of chances we conceded.

Don77
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,326 posts | 1036 
      Reply #397: Feb 10, 2024 11:08:35 pm
      We were playing one of the worst teams in the league, I thought we were lucky they didn’t have a striker considering the number of chances we conceded.

Yeah a decent side would have been ahead at half time .... they spurned guilt edged chances 2nd half as well. We were very poor on the day. We move on now though with a clear week to regroup whereas city are playing midweek.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #398: Feb 11, 2024 01:38:03 am
      We move on now though with a clear week to regroup whereas city are playing midweek.

And we add Mo, Ali, Bradley, Konate and Gomez hopefully back into the mix.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #399: Feb 11, 2024 07:20:57 am
      All season long we’ve not been at our best, but we still pick up points, so what’s changed since Xmas, F**k all that’s what, other sides may have improved, have some momentum, all manner of things change from week to week, we’re no different, injuries take their toll on every side in the league, and those injuries effect performances at different parts of the football calendar,

Those fraudulent Cnuts have KDB back and suddenly their the best side in the league ever ever ever ever, and no other Cnut matters except them according to the pundits & media that forever wax lyrical over them, we have the Gooners taking photos of photographers and dancing like they won the f***in CL for the tenth time on the bounce, yet less than a month ago they were out of it, but they beat us and suddenly their back in it, bet they bottle it again, hopefully the Hammers will hammer them back down to earth today, and they’ll be out of it again,

Oh, did I mention that City yesterday won their first match of their unbeaten 15 match spell their going to go on and win the title again, and that we will suddenly stop picking up those points when we’re not at our best, and have just completed a 15+ unbeaten run that’s conveniently ignored because we’re not f***in City and it doesn’t matter anyway because City will conquer the f***in world yet again despite being the most corrupt football club in the entirety in the history of football !!

Thought Not !!  Don’t mention that on Sky Sports do they ??

YNWA

ruthcity
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,867 posts | 1465 
      Reply #400: Feb 11, 2024 08:00:04 am
      All season long we’ve not been at our best, but we still pick up points, so what’s changed since Xmas, F**k all that’s what, other sides may have improved, have some momentum, all manner of things change from week to week, we’re no different, injuries take their toll on every side in the league, and those injuries effect performances at different parts of the football calendar,

Those fraudulent Cnuts have KDB back and suddenly their the best side in the league ever ever ever ever, and no other Cnut matters except them according to the pundits & media that forever wax lyrical over them, we have the Gooners taking photos of photographers and dancing like they won the f***in CL for the tenth time on the bounce, yet less than a month ago they were out of it, but they beat us and suddenly their back in it, bet they bottle it again, hopefully the Hammers will hammer them back down to earth today, and they’ll be out of it again,

Oh, did I mention that City yesterday won their first match of their unbeaten 15 match spell their going to go on and win the title again, and that we will suddenly stop picking up those points when we’re not at our best, and have just completed a 15+ unbeaten run that’s conveniently ignored because we’re not f***in City and it doesn’t matter anyway because City will conquer the f***in world yet again despite being the most corrupt football club in the entirety in the history of football !!

Thought Not !!  Don’t mention that on Sky Sports do they ??

YNWA

Excellent post. All eyes on City. Whatever we do or have done amounts to nothing compared to them. It’s theirs and not ours to lose even though we will win the league if we win all our games. But nobody will give us a chance and everything will be given to City.

I don’t think some of us will even believe we can win all our matches. But they sincerely believe (not assume) City will.

City is great and we are trash! Look how we struggled yesterday while City looked “comfortable”
  :action-smiley-035:

It’s theirs to lose. Not ours, never ours. Are the negative fans happy with this?
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #401: Feb 11, 2024 08:18:33 am
      And we add Mo, Ali, Bradley, Konate and Gomez hopefully back into the mix.

Yup, and a full week before next game, then it goes back to games every 3 days and such.

So need as many as possible back fit and available.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,233 posts | 752 
      Reply #402: Feb 11, 2024 10:07:08 am
      Yup, and a full week before next game, then it goes back to games every 3 days and such.

So need as many as possible back fit and available.

Especially with Wembley looming in a fortnight's time.

Having more players fit, gives us every chance of lifting a trophy and beating the chavs.
      Fabio Aurelio
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 873 posts | 107 
      Reply #403: Feb 11, 2024 03:15:29 pm
      Quite a lot of positives to take from yesterday’s game:

Front three all scored. Diaz with another near post goal. Just wish his passing was a bit more decisive.
      Elliot was superb off the bench again
      Endo seamlessly slotted back in
      Robbo was back and gave us good balance
      Kelleher looked the best he’s looked this season
      Jones had a good game in two different positions. He played some quality passes on the edge of the box.

We’re way ahead of schedule
      The-AllMightyReds
      • Forum John Barnes

• 419 posts | 80 
      Reply #404: Feb 11, 2024 03:20:58 pm
      Quite a lot of positives to take from yesterday’s game:

Front three all scored. Diaz with another near post goal. Just wish his passing was a bit more decisive.
      Elliot was superb off the bench again
      Endo seamlessly slotted back in
      Robbo was back and gave us good balance
      Kelleher looked the best he’s looked this season
      Jones had a good game in two different positions. He played some quality passes on the edge of the box.

We’re way ahead of schedule

Yep x6

Also the greek scouser is back!!
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #405: Feb 11, 2024 05:11:11 pm
      Especially with Wembley looming in a fortnight's time.

Having more players fit, gives us every chance of lifting a trophy and beating the chavs.

We will smash them again. L o l
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,955 posts | 3334 
      Reply #406: Feb 11, 2024 05:33:03 pm
      Another game at Anfield where we win and score three. It's just expected now.

It's also another game chalked off. 14 games to go and we're top of the League, not too shabby that boys.

We weren't at our best by any stretch but we took all three points and that's all that matters. Despite what the pundits think and even what some of our own fans think, this League is in our hands. If we do what we did yesterday in the other 14 League games this season and pick up maximum points then we win the League. Performances aren't all that important, it's all about winning.

Of course we'd like to play nice football and win in an entertaining fashion but ultimately the win is all that matters.

Kelleher - I've questioned him at times this season but yesterday he showed his true qualities again. Couple of really important saves that made sure we weren't chasing a game that we should always be in control of.

Alexander-Arnold - oh Trent, Trent, Trent. Liverpool fans will forgive almost anything but a lack of effort isn't one of them. Maybe he's not one hundred percent fit and picking up another injury may point to that but it's clutching at straws to try and defend him.

Quansah - young lad probably had his worst game in a Liverpool shirt yesterday. Couple of weak headers, positionally not at his best either but he's still a young kid learning his trade unlike his centre half partner beside him who's iffy form is continuing a bit longer than we'd like.

Van Dijk - as just said above, his form has become very iffy of late. I'm not blaming the announcement of Klopp leaving or Virg's own interview afterwards, he's just having a sticky period right now. I don't have any doubts though that he'll soon be back to his best.

Robertson - unlike his mate on the other flank, Robbo seems to have been inspired during his time out the team and realises his starting berth is under pressure so he has to impress. And he did that yesterday. Constantly an option down the left, as he so often is.

Mac Allister - started slowly, which considering it's not the position he's been playing for most of this season it's understandable. Grew into it though and was back to one of our better players by the end.

Endp - gotta love the lad haven't you? Cult hero without a shadow of a doubt.

Jones - showed his versatility by moving to right back for the second half and didn't look out of place there. Was it the Leicester game in the League Cup he played there as well? A player who can play in a number of roles is always worth their weight and Curtis is proving that this season. Seemed to link up quite well with Elliott down that side as well.

Jota - put him in the box and he'll score. We have relied heavily on him in the absence of Mo and F**k me he's delivered.

Nunez - what a F***ing header that was. He's another who will score goals and has done when we've needed him to. Five in his last eight starts since Christmas. That's not a bad return for any forward, let alone one who's mocked for not scoring.

Diaz - his tenacity and work ethic are matched by very few in the world. He just has a real desire to get on the end of things, like his goal against Chelsea and again yesterday. He can frustrate at times but I still think Lucho is a must start for this team.

Elliott - I've given him his share of stick this season but yesterday he showed once again why he's rated so highly by the manager and the club as a whole. He may not wanna be Super Sub but he is. He changed the game for us when he came on. Two assists to his name and a well deserved man of the match award.

Gakpo - didn't do much when he came on but the game was pretty much over by that point anyway. Must be hard for him to see the other front three scoring because it makes it even harder for him to get an opportunity.

Tsimikas - nice to for Robbo to get the round of applause and for the Greek Scouser to get some minutes back under his belt after missing a few weeks. Starting to get our squad players back is a must for the run in, obviously we're not there yet but slowly and surely they'll all return.

McConnell - nice for the young kid to get a run out in a Premier League game, even if it was for just a couple of minutes. Every chance these kids get to play for Liverpool is one that must give them immense confidence.

Clark - like McConnell, nice for him to get a cameo appearance and to feel a part of this squad. They'll be able to celebrate the quad as much as anyone knowing they've played their part in us getting there.

Overall, bad day at the office that resulted in three points. And while we may not of enjoyed yesterday all that much, there's a lot more upset fans of other clubs who've seen us at our worst still go top of the table.

Keep it up Reds and the League, as well as the rest of the Cups, will be coming home to Anfield come may.
      Borg
      • Forum Jamie Redknapp

• 317 posts | 80 
      Reply #407: Feb 11, 2024 06:30:54 pm
      The big picture issue is the back line is vulnerable to pace and VvD is no longer the uber-defender who can provide cover for defensively overmatched TAA vs teams with burners on the wing.
      The-AllMightyReds
      • Forum John Barnes

• 419 posts | 80 
      Reply #408: Feb 11, 2024 08:13:39 pm
      The big picture issue is the back line is vulnerable to pace and VvD is no longer the uber-defender who can provide cover for defensively overmatched TAA vs teams with burners on the wing.

I think we struggle more on set plays, that’s Newcastle, Norwich and now Burnley we’ve conceded to set plays recently.

It’s no surprise Burnley got through our right side with Trent, Quansah and Mac
.2 of them were down to poor individual mistakes rather than being sliced open to pace. Quansah looks a tad slow but if his headed clearance’s don’t fall straight to Burnley players, nothing comes of it.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #409: Feb 12, 2024 06:39:51 pm
      I think we struggle more on set plays, that’s Newcastle, Norwich and now Burnley we’ve conceded to set plays recently.

It’s no surprise Burnley got through our right side with Trent, Quansah and Mac
.2 of them were down to poor individual mistakes rather than being sliced open to pace. Quansah looks a tad slow but if his headed clearance’s don’t fall straight to Burnley players, nothing comes of it.

Yep, surprisingly it’s the dead ball that’s been our nemesis, if you look at our defensive stats I think we top the league there too, so the dead ball situation is more of a worry rather than defensive errors!!

YNWA

Quick Reply