Trending Topics

Next match: Leeds v LFC [Premier League] Mon 19th Apr @ 8:00 pm
      Elland Road

Today is the 16th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P30 W15 D7 L8

The academy: How well is it really doing?

Read 2717 times
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,270 posts | 3447 
      Re: The academy: How well is it really doing?
      Reply #25: Apr 05, 2021 10:03:21 pm
      You don't have to be, some of the best defenders have not always been blessed with pace. He's different from the other defenders we have and in all honesty I would rather keep Phillips than Matip. Matip should be the one to leave.

He probably will as well.

Lallana in Pyjamas
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,137 posts | 914 
      Reply #26: Apr 06, 2021 12:16:23 pm
      Sorry but Matip can't even last 45 mins without picking up a knock. Phillips has to be kept and Matip released. It's the only logical decision.

Matip may go as well but Phillips will be moved on - he has been great and stuck his head in but he is the step below what’s needed -
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 25,569 posts | 4133 
      Reply #27: Apr 06, 2021 03:41:47 pm
      Sorry but Matip can't even last 45 mins without picking up a knock. Phillips has to be kept and Matip released. It's the only logical decision.

That’s fair, but we still should be putting someone better than Nat alongside Virgil. Whether that’s a healthy Gomez, or someone they’ve yet to bring in, we need another ball playing CB.
      CT_LFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,503 posts | 711 
      Reply #28: Apr 06, 2021 03:43:10 pm
      Matip may go as well but Phillips will be moved on - he has been great and stuck his head in but he is the step below what’s needed -

As a 5th option, he is not.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 7,967 posts | 3006 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #29: Apr 06, 2021 04:56:47 pm
      Unfortunately I think Matip’s goose is cooked, he is a very good CB but we cannot afford a very good CB lying on a recovery bench 3/4 times every season,
       with Kabak on loan the jury is still out on whether he earns a full contract, Gomez is still young enough to recover from his injury woes and I see him with a bright future,
       Nat Phillips is a old fashioned defender who will go thru the proverbial brick wall and for me has earned his place in the squad, young Rhys needs game time and is more likely to be loaned out,

Ibrahima Konate is a player I would like to see come in and I believe Jürgen has had a very keen eye on, he’s the kind of defender we need, fast, strong and reads the game well, Virgil & Gomez or Virgil & Konate look pretty formidable with decent back up from Phillips & Kabak, we have Billy Koumetio in the ressies but probably too early for that young lad yet, but might see more of him in the cup runs,

I’d be surprised if we retain the service of Matip beyond his contract, not entirely sure how long he has left but in the interim if he’s fit & match fit we should play him, or at least have the option to, it’s incomprehensible that we would have a injury hit season again next season, so having a possible six CB ‘s I think it’s safe to say we’ll be covered.

Y  N  W  A

HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,314 posts | 5172 
      Reply #30: Apr 06, 2021 05:15:40 pm
      That’s fair, but we still should be putting someone better than Nat alongside Virgil. Whether that’s a healthy Gomez, or someone they’ve yet to bring in, we need another ball playing CB.

I'm not saying he should be starting, but he's earned a place in the squad imo
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 16,691 posts | 1929 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #31: Apr 06, 2021 05:37:20 pm
      I'm not saying he should be starting, but he's earned a place in the squad imo

Nat?

For me hes jumped above Matip. I love Matip but hes unreliable as in playing more then 2 games back to back.

For me VVD, Joe and Konate if we sign him are 1 2 and 3 with Kabak if he stays and Nat battling for 4 and 5
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,314 posts | 5172 
      Reply #32: Apr 06, 2021 05:45:25 pm
      Nat?

For me hes jumped above Matip. I love Matip but hes unreliable as in playing more then 2 games back to back.

For me VVD, Joe and Konate if we sign him are 1 2 and 3 with Kabak if he stays and Nat battling for 4 and 5

That sounds about right to me.
      rossyred
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,430 posts | 709 
      Reply #33: Apr 06, 2021 06:36:54 pm
      Nat?

Let's not forget Ben Davies 🤔
      srslfc
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 27,575 posts | 2789 
      Reply #34: Apr 09, 2021 11:37:27 am

Likewise.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 25,569 posts | 4133 
      Reply #35: Apr 09, 2021 02:18:07 pm
      Nat?

My fear is that Joe is going to follow in the footsteps of Joel injury wise. He's had a rough go of it and although I don't believe his injuries are indicative of a recurring type of issue, the body still seems to break down easier, the more you get sidelined. If the Konate rumors are true, it would seem it will be Virg, Konate, Kabak and then Davies (insert Joe into the first three when healthy). I think Nat's performances this season are admirable but they may be a rehearsal for starting time at another club because he won't get much with us.

Quick Reply