Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 20th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W17 D7 L7

The academy: How well is it really doing?

Read 8880 times
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,385 posts | 3394 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Re: The academy: How well is it really doing?
      Reply #46: May 18, 2021 04:48:30 pm
      Yes, Klopp has stated on numerous times that it's a team effort and he has to delegate. He can hardly then un-delegate as it means he'll have to sack Matos, which he should do because Matos is f**king sh*t at his job and only got it through nepotism.

How do you know with such certainty that he is sh*t at his job ? You say he got the job because of ljinders, well I imagine some of jurgens backroom staff joined because they know him. An absolutely ridiculous argument.
      CT_LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,800 posts | 1399 
      Reply #47: May 18, 2021 04:50:33 pm
      How do you know with such certainty that he is sh*t at his job ? You say he got the job because of ljinders, well I imagine some of jurgens backroom staff joined because they know him. An absolutely ridiculous argument.

Reminds me of Achterberg, who many thought was sh*t and wanted gone but since Alisson arrived suddenly those cries have silenced.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,089 posts | 8521 
      Reply #48: May 18, 2021 06:03:46 pm
      Arl fella had a fare before dropping off one of our top scouts in Ireland. Nothing mentioned about incoming signings :laugh:
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,004 posts | 3351 
      Reply #49: Jan 12, 2024 12:33:58 pm
      Bringing this up again because in the last couple of years since it was last discussed, we've seen a couple of lads cement themselves in the first team squad.

Trent is now vice-captain, Jones is becoming one of the most important players to our side, I know Elliott started out at Fulham but spent a few years with our youth teams before really making his mark in the first team and Kelleher has established himself as a very handy second choice keeper.

We've also seen the emergence of Quansah and a promising couple of showings from Bradley at right back.

So at the moment it looks like our Academy is back to doing a fine job.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,913 posts | 4979 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #50: Jan 12, 2024 03:23:32 pm
      Bringing this up again because in the last couple of years since it was last discussed, we've seen a couple of lads cement themselves in the first team squad.

Trent is now vice-captain, Jones is becoming one of the most important players to our side, I know Elliott started out at Fulham but spent a few years with our youth teams before really making his mark in the first team and Kelleher has established himself as a very handy second choice keeper.

We've also seen the emergence of Quansah and a promising couple of showings from Bradley at right back.

So at the moment it looks like our Academy is back to doing a fine job.

Billy, I don’t think there’s another club that produces as many prospects as Liverpool, particularly since the AxA opened, even In Jürgen’s earlier days at Melwood there were many that were given a opportunity,
      If my memory serves me well, I think we had young lads like Ben Woodburn, Sepp Van den Berg, Raheem Sterling, Adam Morgan, Cam Branagan, Connor Randall, Conor Coady, Herbie Kane, Danny Ward, Harry Wilson, just a few names who either made the step up or didn’t quite make it and were loaned out or sold on,

Since the AxA tho, more have made it than those who almost made it, most recently of course, Trent, and the lads you mentioned, there’s a conveyor belt of talent that Jürgen will give those who shine the brightest a fair chance, and a better opportunity than before, it’s clear that having everyone under the same roof so to speak is paying off, much better the the previous regime where I believe Jürgen met the best kids once a week on a Tuesday afternoon to see for himself what was coming thru, from the U16’s to the U23’s,

City have a school of excellence I believe but they don’t exactly fall of the production line, Foden being the best known, Cole Palmer, and I think one or two others, of course it’s slightly different there, for players are more likely bought than nurtured, might see one or two more come thru but I hazard a guess not as many as the AxA.

YNWA
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,004 posts | 3351 
      Reply #51: Jan 12, 2024 03:37:47 pm

Billy, I don’t think there’s another club that produces as many prospects as Liverpool, particularly since the AxA opened, even In Jürgen’s earlier days at Melwood there were many that were given a opportunity,
      If my memory serves me well, I think we had young lads like Ben Woodburn, Sepp Van den Berg, Raheem Sterling, Adam Morgan, Cam Branagan, Connor Randall, Conor Coady, Herbie Kane, Danny Ward, Harry Wilson, just a few names who either made the step up or didn’t quite make it and were loaned out or sold on,

Since the AxA tho, more have made it than those who almost made it, most recently of course, Trent, and the lads you mentioned, there’s a conveyor belt of talent that Jürgen will give those who shine the brightest a fair chance, and a better opportunity than before, it’s clear that having everyone under the same roof so to speak is paying off, much better the the previous regime where I believe Jürgen met the best kids once a week on a Tuesday afternoon to see for himself what was coming thru, from the U16’s to the U23’s,

City have a school of excellence I believe but they don’t exactly fall of the production line, Foden being the best known, Cole Palmer, and I think one or two others, of course it’s slightly different there, for players are more likely bought than nurtured, might see one or two more come thru but I hazard a guess not as many as the AxA.

YNWA

I’ve always been an advocate of the kids training with the first team mate, I think it helps the transition into the senior team if the youngsters already know the players.

So it’s no surprise to me that since we all moved to Kirkby, there’s more players getting a chance and looking comfortable in the team.

I also think having Jürgen at the helm has to help. He takes all pressure off the kids, makes them feel relaxed and is happy to see them do their own thing rather than just play in a rigid manner.

And it must help that they’re now coming into a team that’s doing well.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,503 posts | 1760 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #52: Jan 12, 2024 03:57:12 pm
      All going swell.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,913 posts | 4979 
      Reply #53: Jan 13, 2024 11:45:42 am
      I’ve always been an advocate of the kids training with the first team mate, I think it helps the transition into the senior team if the youngsters already know the players.

So it’s no surprise to me that since we all moved to Kirkby, there’s more players getting a chance and looking comfortable in the team.

I also think having Jürgen at the helm has to help. He takes all pressure off the kids, makes them feel relaxed and is happy to see them do their own thing rather than just play in a rigid manner.

And it must help that they’re now coming into a team that’s doing well.

Bang on mate, I think I’m right in saying this was what Jürgen wanted when he first came in and seen the difficulties having virtually two training camps for the same club, Melwood & Kirby, kudos to the owners then for providing the funds for the State of the art AxA academy,

It hasn’t taken long for the fruits of labour to come to the fore has it ? As I alluded to previously City has had their academy longer yet don’t seem to produce the same levels of youngsters coming thru, maybe it’s just my ignorance of the goings on in Eastlands, but who the F**k care’s about that, or them. 😝

YNWA

PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,520 posts | 713 
      Reply #54: Jan 18, 2024 05:46:11 pm
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,089 posts | 8521 
      Reply #55: Jan 20, 2024 01:01:46 pm

Using an image of a player bought from another team. Typical Premier League bullshit.

rossyred
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,244 posts | 1652 
      Reply #56: Jan 20, 2024 07:22:19 pm
      Some win for U18s battering Arsenal . Jayden Danns looks a good prospect
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,385 posts | 3394 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #57: Jan 20, 2024 07:26:32 pm
      Great result for the young reds in the fa youth cup,  beating arsenal 7-1. Hattrick for koumas, 2 for both danns and kone- doherty.  Played some super stuff.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,697 posts | 3365 
      Reply #58: Jan 20, 2024 07:39:29 pm
      Using an image of a player bought from another team. Typical Premier League bullshit.

It’s the same with City going on about this Bobb bloke as if they have developed him when they bought him 18 months ago
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,004 posts | 3351 
      Reply #59: Jan 25, 2024 10:11:08 am
      Last night we finished a major semi final with six Academy graduates.

Kelleher, Bradley, Quansah, Elliott, Jones and Clark.

Must be doing something right to have that amount of players trusted in such a huge game.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,913 posts | 4979 
      Reply #60: Jan 25, 2024 09:22:35 pm
      Last night we finished a major semi final with six Academy graduates.

Kelleher, Bradley, Quansah, Elliott, Jones and Clark.

Must be doing something right to have that amount of players trusted in such a huge game.

A direct result of having everyone under the same roof, the kids train and work with their senior peers on a daily basis, that’s why no one seems fazed when they do get game time, the confidence levels of those youngsters must be thru the Ozone layer never mind the roof,
      So much so that Jürgen like you said Billy has so much faith in them that he trusts them to see out a semi final of a major tournament, and this is just the beginning, how many more are likely to see in the next few seasons and for the foreseeable future,
      Trent has won the f***in lot and he’s only 24, Harvey albeit brought in from Fulham ironically, has 57 appearances and he’s 20, Curtis has 76 @ 22yrs, Quansah still early days for him he has 6 outings in this his debut season, @ 20 yrs, but when you consider he’s stood in for Matip & Konate and never looked out of place, he’s the future CB for years to come, and like Virgil, will be world class before long,

Just a smattering of players given a chance by Jürgen, and all of them have gelled without so much as whimper, Curtis had a few issues but, that was his body trying to catch up, I think we are in safe hands, the academy will keep turning out these young lads, and the revenue we can take from sales from those who don’t quite make will help keep us clear of FFP penalties.

If I remember correctly, Ajax had a academy to be proud of, one of the best on the planet, I think in time our academy will be the envy of the world, we’re certainly heading in the right direction!!

YNWA
      skolRED
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,143 posts | 257 
      Reply #61: Jan 26, 2024 01:29:52 am
      I'd have a special mention on our young Jarell Quansah. I cannot recall of any Liverpool's better young CB at his age playing major role for a team top the table fighting for title of EPL and another three cups. What a player the this kid and much appreciate to the recruitment team and academy to develop him. Of course biggest thanks to Klopp's believe and bold decision to give the boy such an important opportunity.   
      __Tickle__
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,775 posts | 392 
      Reply #62: Jan 26, 2024 09:12:28 am
      It's producing players for the first team and therefore paying for itself. Which is what the academy is supposed to do.

Only needs to produce 2 or 3 first team players every so often and the rest hopefully find football clubs after it and the jobs a goodun.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,004 posts | 3351 
      Reply #63: Jan 26, 2024 02:45:45 pm
      Wonder what'll happen with these kids now the boss is leaving.
      ToshackKeeganOneNil
      • Forum Kenny Dalglish

• 521 posts | 108 
      Reply #64: Jan 29, 2024 11:59:03 am

He'll take them with him.  :D
      The-AllMightyReds
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 679 posts | 132 
      Reply #65: Jan 29, 2024 04:33:02 pm
      Quansah for me has played enough games now and looked the part in near all of them for me to consider him a successful academy graduate.

Bradley is quickly on his way there, hopefully gets more time to shine as he's been a revelation in the short time he's stepped in.

High hopes for Doak and Baj still once they overcome their long term injuries, wouldn't be against them both getting a season on loan in the championship somewhere.

YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,507 posts | 426 
      • Timid men prefer the calm of despotism!
      Reply #66: Jan 29, 2024 06:35:49 pm
      I was really impressed by Bradley. He's smart, he's good in challenges and makes smart decisions. The only Issue I see is his size. He needs a little more bulk to go 1v1 but he's young, I'm sure he'll fill out.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,913 posts | 4979 
      Reply #67: Jan 30, 2024 06:43:04 am

I would like to think not much will change Billy, whoever comes in next(Xabi) will see the talents within and give the same opportunities as Jürgen has, we don’t have the funds to spend Willy nilly, this was the whole point of building the academy, so we can produce our own, and not always refer to the transfer window, of course we will always buy  players from other clubs etc, but if we can produce our own stars which we are doing already, I really can’t see it changing, or being any different !!

YNWA
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,913 posts | 4979 
      Reply #68: Jan 30, 2024 06:48:33 am
      I was really impressed by Bradley. He's smart, he's good in challenges and makes smart decisions. The only Issue I see is his size. He needs a little more bulk to go 1v1 but he's young, I'm sure he'll fill out.

He’s 20 mate, bet you were of a slighter version of yourself at that age, he’ll bulk out, look at Trent when he made his debut, looked like a stiff breeze would blow him over !!

YNWA

Quick Reply