Trending Topics

Next match: Everton v LFC [Premier League] Tue 16th Jun @ 8:00 pm
      Goodison Park

Today is the 29th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P8 W3 D3 L2

News Stories (November 2017)

Read 909 times
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 30,503 posts | 4342 
      News Stories (November 2017)
      Nov 01, 2017 01:10:28 pm
      PM's deputy Damian Green denies inappropriate behaviour claim

Prime Minister Theresa May's deputy, Damian Green, has said allegations of inappropriate behaviour towards a female activist are "completely false".

Mr Green has instructed libel lawyers over the claims, the BBC understands.

Tory activist Kate Maltby wrote in the Times that he "fleetingly" touched her knee in a pub in 2015, and in 2016 sent her a "suggestive" text message.

The cabinet secretary is to investigate whether Mr Green broke the ministerial code.

Ms Maltby, 31, a writer and academic, said Mr Green, 61, said he had sent her the text message after she posed in a corset for the Times.

According to her article in the paper, it read: "Long time no see. But having admired you in a corset in my favourite tabloid I felt impelled to ask if you are free for a drink anytime?"

The encounters left her feeling "awkward, embarrassed and professionally compromised", she wrote.

Mr Green, now first secretary of state, and Theresa May's effective deputy, said he had known Ms Maltby since 2014 and the pair "had a drink as friends twice-yearly".

"The text I sent after she appeared in a newspaper article was sent in that spirit - as two friends agreeing to meet for a regular catch up - and nothing more," he said.

"This untrue allegation has come as a complete shock and is deeply hurtful, especially from someone I considered a personal friend."

He also denied the claim he put his hand on Ms Maltby's knee.

Asked about the claims in the Times as he left his home on Wednesday morning, Mr Green told reporters: "All these allegations are completely false."

The ministerial code requires ministers to "behave in a way that upholds the highest standards of propriety".

Speaking on BBC Radio 5 live, Small Business Minister Margot James said there was no need for Mr Green to resign during the cabinet secretary's investigation.

"I've read the article in the Times today, and I certainly don't think that it warrants anyone's resignation, temporary or otherwise, in my opinion," she said.

It comes as allegations and rumours relating to sexual harassment and abuse by MPs swirl around Westminster.

On Tuesday, Labour confirmed it had launched an independent inquiry into claims that activist Bex Bailey, 25, was discouraged by a party official from reporting an alleged rape at a Labour event in 2011.

She told the BBC she had waived her anonymity to urge changes to the way such cases are handled.

In a separate case, an anonymous woman who claims she was sexually assaulted by an MP on a foreign work trip last year told the Guardian her allegations were not taken seriously.

Earlier this week, a spokesman for Defence Secretary Sir Michael Fallon confirmed he was once rebuked by a journalist for putting his hand on her knee during dinner.

Meanwhile, the BBC has seen a list, thought to have been compiled by staff and researchers at Westminster, detailing a range of mostly unproven allegations about 40 Conservative MPs and ministers.

Among the claims are a number of serious allegations of inappropriate behaviour with junior members of staff, the use of prostitutes and affairs between MPs.

The government has promised urgent action to improve the handling of complaints about the way MPs' staff are treated.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-41827264

And that list of Tory wrong'uns in full again!!

HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 30,503 posts | 4342 
      Re: News Stories (November 2017)
      Reply #1: Nov 01, 2017 01:12:55 pm
      'I woke up with Kevin Spacey lying on me'

A man has said he was left traumatised after waking up to find Hollywood star Kevin Spacey lying on him when he was a teenager in the 1980s.
      The man told Victoria Derbyshire Spacey invited him to spend the weekend in New York but it became clear he was interested in "a way I wasn't".
      He said Spacey asked him to share his bed, but he slept on the sofa and woke up with the actor's arms around him.
      The BBC has contacted Spacey for a comment.
      John, not his real name, added he didn't believe anything sexual took place, but said: "I was uncomfortable at best, traumatised at worst."

The latest allegation follows Spacey's apology after US actor Anthony Rapp accused him of making a sexual advance towards him when he was 14.
      Rapp told how Spacey laid down on top of him in a bedroom during a party at the older man's flat in 1986.
      The Double Oscar-winner said he was "beyond horrified" to hear the story and did not remember the encounter.
      Other men have now come forward, accusing Spacey of sexual harassment.
      US filmmaker Tony Montana claimed he suffered from PTSD for six months after Spacey allegedly grabbed his crotch in a Los Angeles bar in 2003.
      And Mexican actor Roberto Cavazos, who acted in several plays at the Old Vic, claims Spacey "routinely preyed" on young male actors.

Speaking to the programme, John said he first met the Broadway actor in 1984 at a summer theatre when he was 16.
      The pair exchanged letters and, a year later, Spacey invited him to spend a weekend at his home in New York City.
      John told how a "charming and brotherly" Spacey showed him around the city, took him out for dinner and introduced him to famous friends on their weekend together.
      On the first evening, Spacey talked a lot about his work and became affectionate "in a way I certainly wasn't interested in", he said.
      He put his hand on John's thigh, an arm around his shoulder and rubbed his arm

At bedtime, John said Spacey asked him to share his bed, but John insisted on sleeping on the sofa.
      "It was an icy 'goodnight' with the lights off. I thought I was going to be kicked out in the morning," he said.
      "As we went to sleep, he was sobbing from his bed," said John.
      He said he felt it was attention-seeking behaviour in an attempt to get him to respond.
      The following morning, John said he woke up with Spacey's head on his stomach and his arms wrapped around him.
      "He was in his underwear, I was fully clothed. I supposed it was some sort of New York theatre actor 'good morning,'" he said.

After a second day enjoying New York, John said once back at the flat, Spacey became affectionate again and told him he felt "misunderstood".
      "I burst into tears because I couldn't articulate any more what was happening to me. I was scared," said John.
      "To his credit, he backed off and we went to sleep."
      John said he is telling his story now after reading about Rapp's similar experience and he wants young people to know they should be vigilant and speak out.
      "It seems he was grooming me," John said.
      "For me, I never let on that that's what I was interested in. I never discussed it, nor did I want it.
      "I was uncomfortable at best, traumatised at worst.
      "He was either very stupid or predatory - or maybe a little of both."
      John points out that neither of them drunk any alcohol that weekend.

He said he didn't tell his parents or the authorities at the time because he thought Spacey's behaviour might have been "permissible" and worried he might have "given off a vibe" that he was interested in Spacey.
      The BBC is seeking a response from Spacey.
      In light of Rapp's allegations, Netflix has suspended production of political drama, House of Cards, in which Spacey stars.
      Meanwhile, the Old Vic, a London theatre where Spacey worked for 11 years, has set up a confidential complaints process for people involved with the theatre.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-41828874
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 30,503 posts | 4342 
      Reply #2: Nov 01, 2017 01:17:14 pm
      New York truck attack: Five Argentine friends killed

Five friends from Argentina were among those killed in a truck attack in New York on Tuesday.
      Eight people were killed and 11 injured when the driver of the truck hit people on a cycle path in Lower Manhattan.
      A 29-year-old man, an Uzbek immigrant, was shot and injured by police as he left the vehicle. He is under arrest.
      New York Governor Andrew Cuomo told CBS that a note was found inside the truck referring to the Islamic State militant group (IS).
      The suspect, named by media as Sayfullo Saipov, reportedly shouted "Allahu Akbar" ("God is greatest") as he left the truck. Mr Cuomo said he was radicalised in the US.
      It is the deadliest terror attack in the city since 11 September, 2001.

The deaths of five Argentines were confirmed by the country's foreign ministry. They were part of a group of nine friends in New York to celebrate the 30th anniversary of their graduation from a polytechnic college in the central city of Rosario, Argentine media said.
      One of the men who died, steel firm owner Ariel Erlij, helped pay for the friends' trip, La Nación newspaper reported (in Spanish).

The men - all aged 48 or 49 - were named as Hernán Diego Mendoza, Diego Enrique Angelini, Alejandro Damián Pagnucco, Ariel Erlij and Hernán Ferrucci.
      Another of the friends, Martín Ludovico Marro, is being treated in hospital. Three days of mourning have been declared in Rosario.
      Belgian media said a 31-year-old mother-of-two from Staden in Flanders was also killed, but has not been publicly named at her husband's request. Three other Belgians were wounded.
      Two other victims have not yet been identified.

New York Police Department (NYPD) Commissioner James O'Neill said:

Shortly after 15:00 (19:00 GMT), a pick-up truck rented from retailer Home Depot struck cyclists and pedestrians while being driven along the West St-Houston St path for many blocks

It then hit a school bus, injuring two adults and two children on board, and came to a halt

The driver emerged holding what appeared to be two handguns and made a statement "consistent with a terror attack"

He was shot in the abdomen by a police officer stationed near the scene - the suspect later underwent surgery for bullet wounds

The police officer, named in the US media as Ryan Nash, 28, "stopped the carnage moments after it began"

A paintball gun and a pellet gun were recovered from the scene

One witness, Eugene, told ABC Channel 7 that he saw the truck driving quickly down the cycle path alongside the West Side Highway at full speed as it hit a number of people.

He also reported hearing about nine or 10 shots.

The NYPD said only that the attacker was a 29-year-old man.
      US media named him as Sayfullo Saipov, who had reportedly lived in Tampa, Florida, and Paterson, New Jersey.

He arrived in America from Uzbekistan in 2010 and is believed to be a legal resident in the country. Car-share service Uber confirmed he had been working for them.

Three officials said Mr Saipov had previously come to the federal authorities' attention because of an unrelated investigation, the New York Times reported.
      Police records show he was arrested in Missouri last year over a traffic fine.
      Uzbekistan's president, Shavkat Mirziyoyev, told Donald Trump his country was ready to "use all forces and resources" to help investigate the attack. Uzbek officials have not yet confirmed the identity or nationality of the attacker.

President Trump took to Twitter to call the attacker "a very sick and deranged person", adding: "We must not allow ISIS [Islamic State] to return, or enter, our country after defeating them in the Middle East and elsewhere. Enough!"
      He also announced he had ordered extreme vetting to be stepped up, without elaborating further.
      Mr Trump first said he wanted "extreme vetting" of immigrants during his presidential campaign last August. As president, he introduced a ban on arrivals to the US from a number of mainly-Muslim countries - a move that has been challenged legally and is due before the Supreme Court in the coming weeks.
      The American Civil Liberties Union civil rights group said the term extreme vetting was a "euphemism for discriminating against Muslims".
      Early on Monday, he called for a "merit-based" visa system and attacked Democrat rival Chuck Schumer for having pushed for the creation of a diversity visa - or green card lottery - in the early 1990s.

A diversity visa is given to residents of countries with few immigrants to the US. A friend of Mr Saipov told the BBC the 29-year-old had obtained his residency this way.
      New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio said the incident was a "cowardly act of terror aimed at innocent civilians".
      "We know that this action was intended to break our spirit. But we also know that New Yorkers are strong, New Yorkers are resilient and our spirit will never be moved by an act of violence and an act meant to intimidate us," he said.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-41827435
      Shabs
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 24,366 posts | 3271 
      Reply #3: Nov 05, 2017 09:31:12 pm
      20 dead in another mass shooting at a Texas church..
      Roddenberry
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,356 posts | 1751 
      Reply #4: Nov 05, 2017 10:54:13 pm
      20 dead in another mass shooting at a Texas church..

180 dead from firearms in November. FFS it's only the 5th.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,475 posts | 2784 
      Reply #5: Nov 08, 2017 03:10:30 pm
      It's almost like the tories want to be kicked out of office to avoid dealing with Brexit.

What a f**king mess they are.
      Incompetent fools, led by a charlatan who is completely out of her depth.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,377 posts | 2162 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #6: Nov 08, 2017 03:43:18 pm
      It's almost like the tories want to be kicked out of office to avoid dealing with Brexit.

Sums up most politicians these days, wouldn't trust any of them to run a bath let alone a country
      Shabs
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 24,366 posts | 3271 
      Reply #7: Nov 08, 2017 04:21:20 pm

Scandalous how Priti Patel wanted to divert foreign aid to the Israeli Army yet our troops are f**king struggling on the frontline...

She needs funking off quick with this Tory government..
      Shabs
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 24,366 posts | 3271 
      Reply #8: Nov 08, 2017 04:43:38 pm
      & I'm not surprised by this story...

https://twitter.com/asawinstanley/status/928296334947422210

Al-Qaida have “not attacked Israel”

Another BBC report on Tuesday stated that after returning from Israel, Patel “suggested some of Britain’s aid budget go to the Israeli army” for “humanitarian operations” in the Golan Heights – part of southern Syria which Israel occupied in 1967 and annexed in 1981 in violation of international law.

During parliamentary questions, Patel’s deputy Alistair Burt confirmed she had suggested that UK aid money intended for relief be sent to Israeli army units in the occupied Syrian territory.

He said that their department had ultimately concluded that this was “not appropriate,” since the UK government does not recognize Israel’s annexation of the Golan Heights.

But Burt defended the mooted proposal as “humanitarian,” saying it was an “entirely reasonable” question for her to ask.

Underreported, but well-documented, the Israeli army occupying the Golan Heights uses its field hospitals to treat anti-government fighters involved in the war in Syria – including members of factions linked to al-Qaida.

Israel’s alliance with such groups is part of its effort to hold back the influence of Hizballah, the powerful Lebanese resistance organization that defeated the Israeli army when it invaded Lebanon in 2006.

Belying “humanitarian” claims, the known al-Qaida-linked extremists are allowed back to fight in Syria after being treated. In an interview with Al Jazeera last year, the former head of Israel’s Mossad spy agency denied that there would be blowback after Israel had gotten “into bed” with the al-Nusra Front – for years al-Qaida’s formal Syrian affiliate.

“The rules of the game in Syria,” said Efraim Halevy, mean that “you can do anything that is not able – is not possible to be done anywhere else.” He defended the group saying, “Al-Qaida to the best of my recollection, has up till now not attacked Israel.”

Tel Aviv newspaper Haaretz revealed on Wednesday that Patel had “visited an Israeli military field hospital” in the Golan during her “family holiday.”

« Last Edit: Nov 08, 2017 04:48:01 pm by Shabs »
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,751 posts | 3302 
      Reply #9: Nov 09, 2017 02:54:54 pm
      & I'm not surprised by this story...

https://twitter.com/asawinstanley/status/928296334947422210

Al-Qaida have “not attacked Israel”

Another BBC report on Tuesday stated that after returning from Israel, Patel “suggested some of Britain’s aid budget go to the Israeli army” for “humanitarian operations” in the Golan Heights – part of southern Syria which Israel occupied in 1967 and annexed in 1981 in violation of international law.

During parliamentary questions, Patel’s deputy Alistair Burt confirmed she had suggested that UK aid money intended for relief be sent to Israeli army units in the occupied Syrian territory.

He said that their department had ultimately concluded that this was “not appropriate,” since the UK government does not recognize Israel’s annexation of the Golan Heights.

But Burt defended the mooted proposal as “humanitarian,” saying it was an “entirely reasonable” question for her to ask.

Underreported, but well-documented, the Israeli army occupying the Golan Heights uses its field hospitals to treat anti-government fighters involved in the war in Syria – including members of factions linked to al-Qaida.

Israel’s alliance with such groups is part of its effort to hold back the influence of Hizballah, the powerful Lebanese resistance organization that defeated the Israeli army when it invaded Lebanon in 2006.

Belying “humanitarian” claims, the known al-Qaida-linked extremists are allowed back to fight in Syria after being treated. In an interview with Al Jazeera last year, the former head of Israel’s Mossad spy agency denied that there would be blowback after Israel had gotten “into bed” with the al-Nusra Front – for years al-Qaida’s formal Syrian affiliate.

“The rules of the game in Syria,” said Efraim Halevy, mean that “you can do anything that is not able – is not possible to be done anywhere else.” He defended the group saying, “Al-Qaida to the best of my recollection, has up till now not attacked Israel.”

Tel Aviv newspaper Haaretz revealed on Wednesday that Patel had “visited an Israeli military field hospital” in the Golan during her “family holiday.”

Iceland has never been attacked by anyone.
      heimdall
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,847 posts | 2278 
      Reply #10: Nov 09, 2017 04:02:20 pm

???
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,377 posts | 2162 
      Reply #11: Nov 09, 2017 04:26:28 pm

Especially england in the last European championships
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,751 posts | 3302 
      Reply #12: Nov 11, 2017 03:47:25 pm
      Iraq begins battle for final IS-held town
      Iraqi forces have launched an offensive to recapture Rawa, the last town controlled by the so called Islamic State.

The town and a few small sections of land, are all that remains under the militant's control in Iraq, after the larger town of al-Qaim fell last week.
      The group's last last urban stronghold in Syria, Albu Kamal also fell afterwards.

Retaking Rawa, an offensive which began on Saturday, would leave the jihadist group on the verge of collapse.   

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-41953300
      « Last Edit: Nov 11, 2017 11:18:49 pm by stuey »
      althebest1
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,073 posts | 386 
      Reply #13: Nov 12, 2017 08:25:23 am
      Iraq begins battle for final IS-held town
      Iraqi forces have launched an offensive to recapture Rawa, the last town controlled by the so called Islamic State.

The town and a few small sections of land, are all that remains under the militant's control in Iraq, after the larger town of al-Qaim fell last week.
      The group's last last urban stronghold in Syria, Albu Kamal also fell afterwards.

Retaking Rawa, an offensive which began on Saturday, would leave the jihadist group on the verge of collapse.   

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-41953300

Do people really believe that ISIS will collapse, go away etc..? They will be here forever make no mistake, the quicker it is sorted out through talks the better but that's not gonna happen anytime soon, that's politics. 
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,751 posts | 3302 
      Reply #14: Nov 12, 2017 02:09:25 pm
      Do people really believe that ISIS will collapse, go away etc..? They will be here forever make no mistake, the quicker it is sorted out through talks the better but that's not gonna happen anytime soon, that's politics. 

How do you confront an insane ideology whose equally lunatic followers will not negotiate and have no middle ground?
      They have no structure in place to accommodate any discussion whatever.

ISIS strongholds in Iraq and Syria will be destroyed, do you not think that is of comfort to millions of ordinary people in that region?

Sure the extremists will carry on as will the fight to rid the world of organisations intent on mass murder and domination by force.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,377 posts | 2162 
      Reply #15: Nov 12, 2017 02:17:36 pm
      How do you confront an insane ideology whose equally lunatic followers will not negotiate and have no middle ground?

ISIS strongholds in Iraq and Syria will be destroyed, do you not think that is of comfort to millions of ordinary people in that region?

Sure the extremists will carry on as will the fight to rid the world of organisations intent on mass murder and domination by force.

Thought you were talking about trump in that first paragraph.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,751 posts | 3302 
      Reply #16: Nov 12, 2017 02:31:53 pm

Does apply mate you're right.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #17: Nov 12, 2017 08:50:57 pm

Saw that Blackadder episode last night where his last words were 'Who would have noticed another mad man around here?'

Seems apt for today's political climate!
      althebest1
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,073 posts | 386 
      Reply #18: Nov 13, 2017 10:01:32 am

I agree with what you say Stuey apart from saying they will not negotiate, everyone including terrorists have their price and I believe the dialogue is always open, but that,s of course "classified".
      heimdall
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,847 posts | 2278 
      Reply #19: Nov 13, 2017 12:34:00 pm
      I agree with what you say Stuey apart from saying they will not negotiate, everyone including terrorists have their price and I believe the dialogue is always open, but that,s of course "classified".

Why would ISIS want to negotiate though, they see everyone as infidels who must be killed, how do you open a dialogue with them and what is the point?

"If someone wants to kill you, better make sure you kill them first."
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 30,503 posts | 4342 
      Reply #20: Nov 13, 2017 02:57:02 pm
      Only in America:

Woman avoids 10 years in jail for marrying her mother after they 'hit it off'

A woman who reportedly married her estranged mother after the pair later “hit it off” when they got back in contact has avoided a potential 10-year jail sentence.

Misty Velvet Dawn Spann, 25, hadn’t seen mother Patricia Spann, 43, since her childhood, when Patricia lost custody of her and two other siblings who were put up for adoption, court records show.
      But Misty, from Duncan, Oklahoma, reconnected with Patricia three years ago and the pair apparently bonded before joining together in a same sex-union last September, CBS reported.

Social services officials later discovered the incestuous relationship between the mother and daughter – which is illegal – and the pair were arrested and taken into custody.
      It came after Patricia had also married Misty’s brother – who was not named – in 2008. It was annulled two years later.

Misty’s brother Cody – who is not identified as the brother who married Patricia – has blamed their mother over her relationship with Misty.

"I think she's worthless she put my sister into this,” Misty’s brother Cody Spann last month told Oklahoma TV channel News9. “She forced my sister into this, there's a lot of people that know it."
      “For you to want to put your own daughter through this,” he added, “what kind of person are you? If that's what you want that's on you, but none of us kids want that, and now you got my sister behind bars because of your choices, why don't you let that sit on you as a mom.”

Misty was due to have a jury trial in Stephens County district court in Oklahoma but it was called off after she pleaded guilty, according to a report by Tulsa World.

District Judge Ken Graham gave her a 10-year probation and she faces a jail term if she violates the terms of her release.
      Her mother Patricia will be sentenced over the same charge in January and faces a decade in prison. She has been held in custody on remand on a bond of $10,000.

https://www.independent.ie/world-news/north-america/woman-avoids-10-years-in-jail-for-marrying-her-mother-after-they-hit-it-off-36314797.html
      Arab Scouse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,501 posts | 611 
      Reply #21: Nov 14, 2017 11:34:28 am
      he BBC has uncovered details of a secret deal that let hundreds of IS fighters and their families escape from Raqqa, under the gaze of the US and British-led coalition and Kurdish-led forces who control the city.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/resources/idt-sh/raqqas_dirty_secret

Well...
      Shabs
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 24,366 posts | 3271 
      Reply #22: Nov 14, 2017 12:36:47 pm
      he BBC has uncovered details of a secret deal that let hundreds of IS fighters and their families escape from Raqqa, under the gaze of the US and British-led coalition and Kurdish-led forces who control the city.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/resources/idt-sh/raqqas_dirty_secret

Well...

ISIS is a western asset, sooner folk realise & understand their purpose the better..

Have you read about the Israeli field hospitals treating ISIS fighters?..
      heimdall
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,847 posts | 2278 
      Reply #23: Nov 14, 2017 01:40:16 pm
      ISIS is a western asset, sooner folk realise & understand their purpose the better..

Have you read about the Israeli field hospitals treating ISIS fighters?..

No but I'd love to see a link to an article

HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 30,503 posts | 4342 

Quick Reply