Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 20th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W17 D7 L7

Pre match : Liverpool v Maribor : Wed 1st Nov 19.45

Read 5905 times
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,911 posts | 4979 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Re: Pre match : Liverpool v Maribor : Wed 1st Nov 19.45
      Reply #46: Nov 01, 2017 03:21:54 am
      No, I said we can't afford to be complacent. This isn't the first leg of a Cup round were 'damage limitation' can be used before going back to your home ground still in the tie, they're bottom of the table but a win against us with positive results elsewhere puts them back in the mix and blows the group wide open, so Maribor have everything to play for, which means we can't afford to field an understrength team with only goal difference/one point seperating us from the other two teams in the group. We need to get the job done quickly and professionally and unlike most on here who are posting up understrength teams, I would not expect Klopp to show such complacency and go with a strong team.

Slightly over cautious imo but understand what you are saying, but come on buddy even you know deep down that we aint gonna F**k this one up,

If we were to lose or drop points against this lot then we really are not deserving a place in the competition, they are f***in sh*te, and how they made it into the CL in the first place is anyone's guess, but they did and will go down as one of the worst teams to do so,

I think I'm right in saying we have a run of about 16 games coming up so it will make sense using players to get game time, and lessen the risk of injury to others, so yeah id field a weakened side but with ample back up on the bench, a 1-0 win will do for me, but i don't know what it is but i feel a proper battering is more likely....

....5-0 ...might be that at HT 🤣

YNWA

Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #47: Nov 01, 2017 04:16:13 am
      Slightly over cautious imo but understand what you are saying, but come on buddy even you know deep down that we aint gonna f**k this one up,

If we were to lose or drop points against this lot then we really are not deserving a place in the competition, they are F**kin sh*te, and how they made it into the CL in the first place is anyone's guess, but they did and will go down as one of the worst teams to do so,

I think I'm right in saying we have a run of about 16 games coming up so it will make sense using players to get game time, and lessen the risk of injury to others, so yeah id field a weakened side but with ample back up on the bench, a 1-0 win will do for me, but i don't know what it is but i feel a proper battering is more likely....

....5-0 ...might be that at HT 🤣

YNWA

5-0 will do just fine, thanks billy. And yes, Huddersfield began a stretch of 16 matches in 64 days.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #48: Nov 01, 2017 05:53:44 am
      It might look easy on paper following our earlier result against these, but 3 points is more important than trying out new formations and personal.
      Anyone think the other two teams in our group will be fielding weakened sides, just to try a few youngsters, and or fringe players out ?

NAAAHHHHH, That aint gonna happen Get the points on the board FIRST. How many times have we been undone by that.

Spot on this mate, the biggest danger in this game is complacency.
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #49: Nov 01, 2017 06:22:21 am
      No reason not to start Robertson tonight. He needs a chance to impress and I don't see playing him as a risk. Strong team to start, Gruic, Ox and Woodburn should get a run out at some stage if we're winning well, maybe even start Ox.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,678 posts | 3699 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #50: Nov 01, 2017 09:12:31 am
      NB: Team no longer available
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #51: Nov 01, 2017 09:21:05 am
      NB: Team no longer available

With Solanke, Alex & Henderson from the bench.

Pretty much what I'd be assuming the starting line up will be.

Don't think it'll be like the demolition in the away game, but we should have it won by half time really.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,278 posts | 763 
      Reply #52: Nov 01, 2017 09:46:36 am
      I think that we'll win, scoring at least 4 goals. Should keep a clean sheet against this lot, destined to finish bottom of the group.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 20,173 posts | 4402 
      Reply #53: Nov 01, 2017 11:29:39 am
      LFC standard bearers in Europe, settling back in their old home.

https://twitter.com/squawka/status/925684100362420224
      RobieSlick
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,758 posts | 259 
      Reply #54: Nov 01, 2017 01:32:21 pm
      Spot on this mate, the biggest danger in this game is complacency.

We are at home (Fortress Anfield) Luke. We should win this with our 23 never mind other 1st eleven fringe players.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #55: Nov 01, 2017 01:39:26 pm
      We are at home (Fortress Anfield) Luke. We should win this with our 23 never mind other 1st eleven fringe players.

I know what you're saying mate but the only obstacle to us winning is complacency. I just don't agree fighting so hard to get back in the CL and then sending out 2nd XI's because it's 'just Maribor', the risk to reward of that doesn't stack up, not even close. Fair enough bring in the odd player and rest those most in need, but thinking we can just throw any team together and expecting them to get a result, in my opinion, just isn't the right attitude.

I'd love to see us get 3 or 4 up in the first half and then give 45 minutes to the likes of Trent or Woodburn (although he's playing now so that wont happen). Solanke, Sturridge etc all need minutes and this could prove to be a great chance to give it to them, just not from the off is what I'm saying. Get the job done and then take the rewards that hard work has earned.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #56: Nov 01, 2017 02:22:32 pm
      but the only obstacle to us winning is complacency

Nail on the head, Luke. That's what we're truly up against, tonight. You only have to look at the odds on us to win or get beat tonight, to see that. If we're complacent tonight and as a result make stupid errors or play half hearted, that shows the opposition we're not fully concentrated.

The worst place Liverpool players can do that, is at Anfield.

On another note, good few Maribor fans in town. Nice friendly atmosphere.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #57: Nov 01, 2017 03:24:51 pm
      Nail on the head, Luke. That's what we're truly up against, tonight. You only have to look at the odds on us to win or get beat tonight, to see that. If we're complacent tonight and as a result make stupid errors or play half hearted, that shows the opposition we're not fully concentrated.

The worst place Liverpool players can do that, is at Anfield.

On another note, good few Maribor fans in town. Nice friendly atmosphere.

Sounds like a fun evening. With the run of results this group has had over the past 30 days or so, you'd think complacency would be the last thing to worry about. But I get it, human nature and all that, the 7-0 result last time. A very strong performance heading into the weekend should be the goal and it sounds like Klopp has been preaching exactly that - to whichever XI start the match.

DanMann

• 5,705 posts | 880 
      Reply #58: Nov 01, 2017 05:10:17 pm
      Worst approach to any opponent is to underestimate them.

Never expect to win - especially to win well. The lads need to approach each game competitively, and then get the job done.

If the opponent is "easy", get it done quickly. But to take it lightly and go in with the attitude that we are going for goal scoring records is not smart. Neither is it smart to be winning a game and switch it to a jolly training session. We've seen that happen enough times to know it can bite us.

Sure enough, a 4-0 victory should be on the cards, and like anyone I'm hopeful of seeing plenty of goals again, but we should go in there with the ambition to fight and get the 1st goal. Then fight to get the 2nd etc.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,385 posts | 3394 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #59: Nov 01, 2017 05:19:03 pm
      Worst approach to any opponent is to underestimate them.

Never expect to win - especially to win well. The lads need to approach each game competitively, and then get the job done.

If the opponent is "easy", get it done quickly. But to take it lightly and go in with the attitude that we are going for goal scoring records is not smart. Neither is it smart to be winning a game and switch it to a jolly training session. We've seen that happen enough times to know it can bite us.

Sure enough, a 4-0 victory should be on the cards, and like anyone I'm hopeful of seeing plenty of goals again, but we should go in there with the ambition to fight and get the 1st goal. Then fight to get the 2nd etc.

Agreed, need to start with the intensity that has been missing this season,  we saw in the first game that they will struggle if we get at them from the start
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #60: Nov 01, 2017 05:22:39 pm
      https://twitter.com/empireofthekop/status/925758510419398656

BT Sport
      Liverpool v Maribor: Live stream Champions League football for free online or watch on TV with BT Sport
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,993 posts | 518 
      Reply #61: Nov 01, 2017 05:51:07 pm
      Didn't see the Huddersfield game. Sturridge and Firmino both started but I don't think as a front 2? I've said for ages I'd like to see Firmino played as a 2nd striker with a partner so will go for that again ( while resting a couple of players as well).

Karius

TAA          Matip   Klavan    Robertson

Ox    Milner     Gini      Woodburn

Solanke    Firmino
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #62: Nov 01, 2017 05:59:54 pm
      Klopp used the German expression: "Bemale einen Bären nicht, bevor du ihn abschießt." - which roughly translated is "Don't skin a bear before you shoot it."

He was specifically responding to a question about the achievement of qualifying for the knockout rounds but, yes, same idea.

Good advice for bear skin shoppers as well.
      Harrisimo

• 8,180 posts | 1385 
      Reply #63: Nov 01, 2017 06:00:55 pm
      Firmino more or less plays in the hole, similar to Teddy Sheringham. Firmino himself I doubt would consider himself an out an out goal scorer. He would benefit from a regular front man, Sturridge may be, but on his own, not a hope.

The team is crying out for a Kane type player. We create chances by the shed load but I would bet our conversion rate is mid table. And therein lies the main problem. Signing a top goal scorer to actually convert the chances and get into positions to do that.
      Harrisimo

• 8,180 posts | 1385 
      Reply #64: Nov 01, 2017 06:03:10 pm
      Beat them away 7-0 so at home it should be 14-0...but we have to be realistic so I'll say 13-0..
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #65: Nov 01, 2017 06:32:02 pm

Quick Reply