Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Maribor?

Loris Karius
      0 (0%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      13 (21.7%)
      Ragnar Klavan
      1 (1.7%)
      Joel Matip
      0 (0%)
      Alberto Moreno
      6 (10%)
      Emre Can
      5 (8.3%)
      James Milner
      8 (13.3%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      0 (0%)
      Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain
      5 (8.3%)
      Mohammed Salah
      13 (21.7%)
      Roberto Firmino
      6 (10%)
      Jordan Henderson
      1 (1.7%)
      Marko Grujić
      1 (1.7%)
      Daniel Sturridge
      1 (1.7%)

Total Members Voted: 58

Voting closed: Nov 05, 2017 09:39:50 pm

Liverpool 3-0 NK Maribor: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 21516 times
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Re: Liverpool 3-0 NK Maribor: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #276: Nov 01, 2017 09:46:52 pm
      green_bear
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,042 posts | 289 
      Re: Live: Liverpool V Maribor
      Reply #277: Nov 01, 2017 09:47:04 pm
      While it's boring, I've no problem with it at 3 up, it's when we're level that I could throw something on watching that sh*t.

I thought that seemed a bit disrespectful, seeing how they're a yard facing each other. But truth be told, it was probably because I'd had enough of Hendo laying the ball to whoever closest to him  ;D ;D
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #278: Nov 01, 2017 09:48:27 pm
      Tough game. Said they shoudln't be underestimated but we did well breaking them down and winning in the end. Result in Spain and then win our home games and on to the next round.
      LFCSTEVE1984
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,729 posts | 408 
      Reply #279: Nov 01, 2017 09:51:28 pm
      A win is a win is a win,the only complaint I have is our passing game seemed a bit predictable and slow at times.

It was mate but with Lallana, Coutinho and mane back in the team soon that should change quite a bit for the better.
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,937 posts | 502 
      Reply #280: Nov 01, 2017 09:52:45 pm
      Good result in the end, pretty dull game but they didn't exactly come out to play.

Gave MOTM to Milner, lovely touch for Can's goal and good all round. Firmino had a decent game too. Slightly disappointed in the Ox.
      Can't read too much into that game overall, other than that Jürgen remains pretty stubborn about playing the same formation against every team.

Anyway, sets us up well to qualify and a good confidence boost for the weekend.
      LFCSTEVE1984
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,729 posts | 408 
      Re: Live: Liverpool V Maribor
      Reply #281: Nov 01, 2017 09:58:09 pm
      I thought that seemed a bit disrespectful, seeing how they're a yard facing each other. But truth be told, it was probably because I'd had enough of Hendo laying the ball to whoever closest to him  ;D ;D

The best way I can describe Henderson is like a wall, and that's not because he doesn't let anyone past him.

It's because it reminds me of when I was a kid playing footy against the wall. Basically passing the ball to the wall and it bouncing straight back.

It's what makes up probably 80% of his passing, receive the ball, pass straight back  to the player who give him it.

Couple of times towards the end he just hit it back in the general area of the defence, not even to a player.

Does my head in.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #282: Nov 01, 2017 09:58:24 pm
      Fuckers, absolute fuckers! Needed 4-0 for my prediction.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #283: Nov 01, 2017 10:03:58 pm

Me too, selfish bas**rds
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #284: Nov 01, 2017 10:04:05 pm

Maribor were never hoping to score 4 past us today ;)
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      Reply #285: Nov 01, 2017 10:05:01 pm
      Great goal from Sturridge to finish.  Nice little cameo there.

Excellent win.  My only concern is that I don't think a Sevilla win was the best result we wanted in the other game.  Maribor are out now so they are effectively 3 points for both Spartak and Sevilla. 

Can see that final game being the decider between us and Spartak now.  Not ideal.

Much rather have it in our own hands though
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #286: Nov 01, 2017 10:12:13 pm
      Maribor were never hoping to score 4 past us today ;)

see, i had 3-1. It was Karius and Klavan who ruined my night.  :)
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #287: Nov 01, 2017 10:20:02 pm
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #288: Nov 01, 2017 10:20:47 pm
      If the team keep rolling up 3-0 wins, I suppose we can all be a little patient and let them score all of their goals in the 2nd half. The whole "Kop as Goal Magnet" idea still rings true.

I had TAA as our Man of the Match. I know he was allowed to basically play as a winger given how deep Maribor were, but he was really looking for it every time he got the ball and delivered some high-quality serves in.

I was glad Emre startede getting forward more because at times in the first half it looked we had three holding midfielders in. That may have been a central point of Klopp's half time comments. The movement from the front three got better after halftime also.

I would only add that Klavan, who takes a good bit of stick on here, was pretty effective on the handful of times they got forward tonight. He isn't a first-choice defender for a title-contending team, but he's a reliable backup and can do a job in a pinch, as he showed tonight.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      Reply #289: Nov 01, 2017 10:53:41 pm
      Only down side was gini's injury, apparently will have a scan but won't play saturday, nor will phil, good job international break is coming
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #290: Nov 01, 2017 11:35:06 pm
      For the second time in five days I'm asking how you can leave the ground after a 3-0 win and still feel disappointed?

That was hard work. They were disciplined and played a back five that didn't leave the edge of the box, and then a midfield four sitting a yard or two infront of them. We huffed, puffed and really struggled to break them down or create anything. I'm glad we got the win, I'm glad we got the points but I'm probably most glad to be back home! A very boring and frustrating 90 minutes that.

I never want to see a midfield three of can, Henderson and Milner again. Not a creative bone between them!

Karius - had nothing to do apart from make one save in the second half which was a long range effort but was hit well. It was a good save.

Taa - my motm. Always gave an option on that right flank, never shys away from the ball. Whipped some really good crosses in, especially the first half. He wasn't perfect by any means and he makes the odd mistake but it was a very good performance from the youngster.

Klavan - just like Saturday, the opposition posed no threat and he wasn't tested.

Matip - just like Saturday, the opposition posed no threat and he wasn't tested.

Moreno - wasn't tested defensively but he looks so much better going forward now. He whipped in a couple of nice crosses too. He looks to have matured now and his decision making is so much better.

Henderson - laughed to myself when he came on because thirty seconds later he ran infront of a Maribor shot and I've said all week on here I can't rememeber him ever throwing himself into a shot before, has he been reading my comments?  His performance was nothing to sing home about but he wasn't exactly dreadful either. One or two like Gerrard passes that found his man, likewise one or two forward passes that went to the opposition. Just same old from him really.

Can - was the best out of the midfield three but that's not saying much really. He won the ball back a few times and scored a great goal though.

Milner - doesn't have quick enough feet to play in a Jürgen klopp midfield three. I really like Milner and respect him as a pro but in this set up and this formation he just isn't good enough. He isn't creative enough and with either Henderson or can in there then he isn't needed.

Ox - struggled to get in the game in the first half, came in to it a little more during the second but still fairly quiet. I want to see him in the middle - where he wants to play. We could do with some pace in there and having somebody who will run forward with the ball.

Firmino - another quiet game I thought. He has his moments, he always will do because he's a top player, but compared to his usual self he didn't get involved as much as usual.

Salah - opened the scoring with a nice touch. Was probably our best attacker on the night. He's been our best player so far this season by some way.

To summarise, we badly miss coutinho, mane and lallana. Against stubborn teams who park the bus our midfield struggles when it consists of Milner, Henderson, can. Only one of them is needed because they all do the same job pretty much. I want to see the ox in there against West Ham.

Good result, but flat performance, flat atmosphere, bit of a snooze fest and the score line flattered us in my opinion. We move on to Saturday.

Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #291: Nov 01, 2017 11:42:34 pm
      For the second time in five days I'm asking how you can leave the ground after a 3-0 win and still feel disappointed?

That was hard work. They were disciplined and played a back five that didn't leave the edge of the box, and then a midfield four sitting a yard or two infront of them. We huffed, puffed and really struggled to break them down or create anything. I'm glad we got the win, I'm glad we got the points but I'm probably most glad to be back home! A very boring and frustrating 90 minutes that.

I never want to see a midfield three of can, Henderson and Milner again. Not a creative bone between them!

Karius - had nothing to do apart from make one save in the second half which was a long range effort but was hit well. It was a good save.

Taa - my motm. Always gave an option on that right flank, never shys away from the ball. Whipped some really good crosses in, especially the first half. He wasn't perfect by any means and he makes the odd mistake but it was a very good performance from the youngster.

Klavan - just like Saturday, the opposition posed no threat and he wasn't tested.

Matip - just like Saturday, the opposition posed no threat and he wasn't tested.

Moreno - wasn't tested defensively but he looks so much better going forward now. He whipped in a couple of nice crosses too. He looks to have matured now and his decision making is so much better.

Henderson - laughed to myself when he came on because thirty seconds later he ran infront of a Maribor shot and I've said all week on here I can't rememeber him ever throwing himself into a shot before, has he been reading my comments?  His performance was nothing to sing home about but he wasn't exactly dreadful either. One or two like Gerrard passes that found his man, likewise one or two forward passes that went to the opposition. Just same old from him really.

Can - was the best out of the midfield three but that's not saying much really. He won the ball back a few times and scored a great goal though.

Milner - doesn't have quick enough feet to play in a Jürgen klopp midfield three. I really like Milner and respect him as a pro but in this set up and this formation he just isn't good enough. He isn't creative enough and with either Henderson or can in there then he isn't needed.

Ox - struggled to get in the game in the first half, came in to it a little more during the second but still fairly quiet. I want to see him in the middle - where he wants to play. We could do with some pace in there and having somebody who will run forward with the ball.

Firmino - another quiet game I thought. He has his moments, he always will do because he's a top player, but compared to his usual self he didn't get involved as much as usual.

Salah - opened the scoring with a nice touch. Was probably our best attacker on the night. He's been our best player so far this season by some way.

To summarise, we badly miss coutinho, mane and lallana. Against stubborn teams who park the bus our midfield struggles when it consists of Milner, Henderson, can. Only one of them is needed because they all do the same job pretty much. I want to see the ox in there against West Ham.

Good result, but flat performance, flat atmosphere, bit of a snooze fest and the score line flattered us in my opinion. We move on to Saturday.

Klavan got tight on his man when a cross came in to put it out for a corner. So there was that.

Lovren by comparison would have shat himself into the net...along with the ball.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #292: Nov 02, 2017 12:16:53 am
      We just got the Roy Keane treatment on ITV and had to agree with a lot of what he said.

Did the classic if they were playing in my back garden i wouldn't watch line, but he basically said we're going nowhere fast.

There's a lot of exciting teams in this competition who could  do us quite easily in a you score we score contest and a lot of better balanced teams who will play us off the park too.

The lads should listen to it on repeat and use it as some sort of prove them wrong exercise.

We were far from the best team in 05 and 07 but we were a hard working and balanced team who would give anyone a game. This team has a total lack of leadership, characters, balance etc...

And all that after a 3-0 win and sitting top of the group!

Just not inspired by anything we are doing at the moment.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #293: Nov 02, 2017 12:24:25 am
      We just got the Roy Keane treatment on ITV and had to agree with a lot of what he said.

Did the classic if they were playing in my back garden i wouldn't watch line, but he basically said we're going nowhere fast.

There's a lot of exciting teams in this competition who could  do us quite easily in a you score we score contest and a lot of better balanced teams who will play us off the park too.

The lads should listen to it on repeat and use it as some sort of prove them wrong exercise.

We were far from the best team in 05 and 07 but we were a hard working and balanced team who would give anyone a game. This team has a total lack of leadership, characters, balance etc...

And all that after a 3-0 win and sitting top of the group!

Just not inspired by anything we are doing at the moment.

Pah!

A 'We've got to change quickly. We will learn from this' media pep talk from Mignolet and/or Henderson will put everything to rights!
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #294: Nov 02, 2017 12:36:03 am
      Pah!

A 'We've got to change quickly. We will learn from this' media pep talk from Mignolet and/or Henderson will put everything to rights!

This double header over Harribo will probably be used as evidence of a corner being turned but not for me.

Seems to me in our league alone that certain teams have become really strong. City buying even more quality,  especially a proper keeper and a year of bedding in for Pep as well as United solidifying themselves even more with Matic and Lukaku.

We look flimsy in comparison to them two and Spurs. That leaves us fighting with Chelsea and Arsenal for fourth really.

Years gone by this competition was a release from domestic worries but I would be amazed if we made if past the quarters stage here.

My over riding feeling is we have been left behind.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #295: Nov 02, 2017 12:58:43 am
      This double header over Harribo will probably be used as evidence of a corner being turned but not for me.

Seems to me in our league alone that certain teams have become really strong. City buying even more quality,  especially a proper keeper and a year of bedding in for Pep as well as United solidifying themselves even more with Matic and Lukaku.

We look flimsy in comparison to them two and Spurs. That leaves us fighting with Chelsea and Arsenal for fourth really.

Years gone by this competition was a release from domestic worries but I would be amazed if we made if past the quarters stage here.

My over riding feeling is we have been left behind.

If we got a fully fit squad back together then maybe we could be in with a shout of 4th. And even then we'll have to rely on Chelsea and Arsenal hitting crisis mode. But after the Tottenham game I lost any hope of getting 4th. And nor do I have any faith of us keeping our best players fit either, something that the teams above us seem to be able to do. We haven't done so for what seems like years so why should I expect it this year? And on top of that we have to contend with being lied to by FSG and given the silent treatment by faceless cowards like Michael Edwards with regards to questions about our 'transfer strategy'.

It's all rather depressing isn't it?
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,088 posts | 1046 
      Reply #296: Nov 02, 2017 01:46:56 am
      TAA needs more play. He played so well tonight and he makes our attack so much better. I know he makes mistakes defensively, but so does everyone on that side. Perhaps playing him in league games could be the conduit that runs more energy into the box and gives our forwards more QUALITY chances. MOTM for me

I still want Robo to get some games, but at this point Moreno has done more than enough to shut me up. Im the President of the Andy Robertson fan club, and have been calling for his presence at our club for about a year. Well, the president has been silenced.... For now  :lmao:
      Moreno is playing very well now, take a bow mate. On to West Ham. Let's go to break on a nice win streak and get 3 more points
      fckmediocrity
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 604 posts | 213 
      Reply #297: Nov 02, 2017 01:47:14 am
      If we got a fully fit squad back together then maybe we could be in with a shout of 4th. And even then we'll have to rely on Chelsea and Arsenal hitting crisis mode. But after the Tottenham game I lost any hope of getting 4th. And nor do I have any faith of us keeping our best players fit either, something that the teams above us seem to be able to do. We haven't done so for what seems like years so why should I expect it this year? And on top of that we have to contend with being lied to by FSG and given the silent treatment by faceless cowards like Michael Edwards with regards to questions about our 'transfer strategy'.

It's all rather depressing isn't it?

It is but IMO what's more depressing that after all these years we're still in the same old race for 4th with our best/most promissing player leaving.. rinse and repeat :-[
      DanMann
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,635 posts | 866 
      Reply #298: Nov 02, 2017 01:49:12 am
      Gave my MOTM to Firmino. Didn't score from his chances but worked his socks off and ran plenty.

Does everything that we want from a #9.

Quick Reply