Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Maribor?

Loris Karius
      0 (0%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      13 (21.7%)
      Ragnar Klavan
      1 (1.7%)
      Joel Matip
      0 (0%)
      Alberto Moreno
      6 (10%)
      Emre Can
      5 (8.3%)
      James Milner
      8 (13.3%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      0 (0%)
      Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain
      5 (8.3%)
      Mohammed Salah
      13 (21.7%)
      Roberto Firmino
      6 (10%)
      Jordan Henderson
      1 (1.7%)
      Marko Grujić
      1 (1.7%)
      Daniel Sturridge
      1 (1.7%)

Total Members Voted: 58

Voting closed: Nov 05, 2017 09:39:50 pm

Liverpool 3-0 NK Maribor: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 21514 times
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Re: Liverpool 3-0 NK Maribor: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #299: Nov 02, 2017 01:55:49 am
      Had money on 4 nil so they can all F**k off 😊
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      Reply #300: Nov 02, 2017 02:02:10 am
      We just got the Roy Keane treatment on ITV and had to agree with a lot of what he said.

Did the classic if they were playing in my back garden i wouldn't watch line, but he basically said we're going nowhere fast.

There's a lot of exciting teams in this competition who could  do us quite easily in a you score we score contest and a lot of better balanced teams who will play us off the park too.

The lads should listen to it on repeat and use it as some sort of prove them wrong exercise.

We were far from the best team in 05 and 07 but we were a hard working and balanced team who would give anyone a game. This team has a total lack of leadership, characters, balance etc...

And all that after a 3-0 win and sitting top of the group!

Just not inspired by anything we are doing at the moment.

My hope is that Klopp is holding them back from playing like we did in the first half of last season to have them do all that intense, no holds barred stuff the second half of this season. We were fu**ed last half of last season. May seem a wonderland and dreamy type of thing to say I know but glass half full and all that mate.

And I'm pissed as F**k.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #301: Nov 02, 2017 02:05:33 am
      Job done, get something from the sevilla game and we're in the driving seat to qualify top of the group. Will get harder in the competition then.

Again another game of two halves similar to Huddersfield, with us being a lot brighter and more attacking in the second half. TAA, Firmino and Salah did very well. Thought their keeper did very well and made some good saves.

Lovely football for Can's goal and nice to see Sturridge get another goal.

Would nice to go and win three on the bounce at West Ham now!
      TorontoRed
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 34 posts |
      Reply #302: Nov 02, 2017 02:52:59 am
      The score line I had in mind for this and a bit of a deja-vu from last week. Again, Klopp seems to have motivated the troupes at half-time which is always an encouraging sign.
      Seems to me we were playing too safe circling the ball around their compact defense in the first half. I'm willing to bet Klopp's locker room message was to encourage the team to take that extra touch, extra dribble or extra sprint coming into the second. Seems it paid off.

I'll try out a player rating list as I always enjoy reading others'.

Karius - Didn't have much to do as expected but dealt with what he was faced well. Good save on that shot from distance...feel like mignolet might have found a way to push it towards a looming Maribor player :-) Also did well to get a hand on the ball that other time Maribor managed to get pass Matip and get the ball across. 6.5

TAA - Got better as the game went on. Thought he started a little quiet and jittery but finished the game looking like a world class right back. Great cross for the second and great work keeping the pressure on Maribor in the second for us to take the game away. I look forward to seeing his continued progression and have a feeling he may just turn out to be a solid player for years. 8

Matip - Not much to say about either CBs as they weren't rarely tested. Seems like any offensive threat came through the wing and both TAA and Moreno handled those well. Had a couple shaky moments but nothing to write home about. Other than that, his main responsible was to distribute the ball to Hendo, can or TAA for them to take it forward. 6.5

Klavan - Nothing much to add, similar to Matip's game. Didn't do anything wrong and even made some attempts to bring the ball forward. One thing is for sure, he didn't trip over the ball which would not be a guarantee had Lovren started the game - 6.5

Moreno - MOTM in the first half and did not put a foot wrong all game. Kept trying to push through the stubborn defense and did all his defensive duties cleanly and promptly. Seems like he has acquired new-found confidence and.... brains :-) I've heard many say they are just waiting for one of his headless chicken moments (myself included) but that has yet to come. Keep it up Alby, it's nice to see a player rejuvenate from a tough year as he is doing - 8

Henderson - Thought he did well when he came on. Seemed more willing to push the ball forward. That being said, there was absolutely no midfield battle in this game as their 11 players were sitting around the box for 90 mins. Therefore, any compliment I give to our midfield is to be taken with a grain of salt. In his role against this opposition though, did well, pressed, covered his back-line and tried to get the game going - 7

Can - As is the case with Hendo, no midfield game meant for a free pass into their half. Thought he played with a lot of passion and, although he had a couple brain farts, did well to break through the defense. Class move and class finish. Too bad him and Hendo can't balance defensive responsibilities with offensive creativity. 7

Milner - He was my MOTM in Maribor and is my MOTM again today. Put the pressure at the start of the second which helped set up for our first. Beautiful assist for the second. Was stealing the ball on the midfield line throughout the game and always played forward. Lot's of passion and lot's of stamina for an older lad. Sure, he missed the penalty but that was also a great save. And he kept his head up and compensated the remainder of the game - 8.5

Ox - Thought he did well enough. Had some nice passes and nice vision at times. Moments of individual skills make it clear there's a more than decent player in there. My thought is that he looks like he is still getting used to the system which makes him look like he's playing his own game. I get why Klopp is taking his time introducing him as I think with patience and hard work, he can actually fit into our system really well. - 7

Salah - Played well and again shows that the passion is always at 100%. The type of player LFC needs. Got another goal, which unfortunately did not look as classy on the replay :-) However, the goals are tallying up for the Egyptian and that's not due to his finishing abilities. In fact, I still maintain his are quiet average. The thing that makes him special and so successful at scoring are his first touch, ball control, speed and offensive runs. Another typical Salah performance capped with yet another goal - 7.5

Firmino - Looked knackered by the end, didn't think it'd make it off the pitch :-) That's because he played the pressing game throughout and ran his little bollocks off. Didn't create an awful lot but did well when involved in attacking play. Another typical Firmino performance which deserved to be capped by a goal. And by the way, I'm off to watch that nutmeg on repeat once I'm done with this post. 7.5

Wini - Got injured before the game got into gear, so can't rate. Hope he'll be alright.

Danny - Didn't have much of the ball when he came on but did well with the gift he was given. Finished like a true striker. Can't ask for more from a late substitute. I've got to say that his body language following Salah's opened was a little saddening. As Klopp celebrated, you could see him on the bench with his head down. Was probably upset about not starting and, I've got to say, looks like he wont want to stick around much longer - 7

Grujic - Didn't have enough time to make a mark but was nice to see him on the anfield grass in a Champions League match.

Klopp - No complacency! I know many were asking for our youngsters to start and for experimentation but I was happy to see our lineup. This was a must win and therefore required a strong team. Though we seems to be running into walls in the first half, I was encouraged when I saw him run to the locker room at the whistle as he would need every second of those 15 minutes to pass on the second half game plan. It worked and we got a comfortable 3-0 win. Onward - 8
      « Last Edit: Nov 02, 2017 12:49:32 pm by TorontoRed »
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #303: Nov 02, 2017 04:39:41 am
      The score line I had in mind for this and a bit of a deja-vu from last week. Again, Klopp seems to have motivated the troupes at half-time which is always an encouraging sign.
      Seems to me we were playing too safe circling the ball around their compact defense in the first half. I'm willing to bet Klopp's locker room message was to encourage the team to take that extra touch, extra dribble or extra sprint coming into the second. Seems it paid off.

I'll try out a player rating list as I always enjoy reading others'.

Karius - Didn't have much to do as expected but dealt with what he was faced well. Good save on that shot from distance...feel like mignolet might have found a way to push it towards a looming Maribor player :-) Also did well to get a hand on the ball that other time Maribor managed to get pass Matip and get the ball across. 6.5

TAA - Got better as the game went on. Thought he started a little quiet and jittery but finished the game looking like a world class right back. Great cross for the second and great work keeping the pressure on Maribor in the second for us to take the game away. I look forward to seeing his continued progression and have a feeling he may just turn out to be a solid player for years. 8

Matip - Not much to say about either CBs as they were rarely tested. Seems like any offensive threat came through the wind and both TAA and Moreno handled those well. Had a couple shaky moments but nothing to write home about. Other than that, his main responsible was to distribute the ball to Hendo, can or TAA for them to take it forward. 6.5

Klavan - Nothing much to add, similar to Matip's game. Didn't do anything wrong and even made some attempts to bring the ball forward. One thing is for sure, he didn't trip over the ball which would not be a guarantee had Lovren started the game - 6.5

Moreno - MOTM in the first half and did not put a foot wrong all game. Kept trying to push through the stubborn defense and did all his defensive duties cleanly and promptly. Seems like he has acquired new-found confidence and.... brains :-) I've heard many say they are just waiting for one of his headless chicken moments (myself included) but that has yet to come. Keep it up Alby, it's nice to see a player rejuvenate from a tough year as he is doing - 8

Henderson - Thought he did well when he came on. Seemed more willing to push the ball forward. That being said, there was absolutely no midfield battle in this game as their 11 players were sitting around the box for 90 mins. Therefore, any compliment I give to our midfield is to be taken with a grain of salt. In his role against this opposition though, did well, pressed, covered his back-line and tried to get the game going - 7

Can - As is the case with Hendo, no midfield game meant for a free pass into their half. Thought he played with a lot of passion and, although he had a couple brain farts, did well to break through the defense. Class move and class finish. Too bad him and Hendo can't balance defensive responsibilities with offensive creativity. 7

Milner - He was my MOTM in Maribor and is my MOTM again today. Put the pressure at the start of the second which helped set up for our first. Beautiful assist for the second. Was stealing the ball on the midfield line throughout the game and always played forward. Lot's of passion and lot's of stamina for an older lad. Sure, he missed the penalty but that was also a great save. And he kept his head up and compensated the remainder of the game - 8.5

Ox - Thought he did well enough. Had some nice passes and nice vision at times. Moments of individual skills make it clear there's a more than decent player in there. My thought is that he looks like he is still getting used to the system which makes him look like he's playing his own game. I get why Klopp is taking his time introducing him as I think with patience and hard work, he can actually fit into our system really well. - 7

Salah - Played well and again shows that the passion is always at 100%. The type of player LFC needs. Got another goal, which unfortunately did not look as classy on the replay :-) However, the goals are tallying up for the Egyptian and that's not due to his finishing abilities. In fact, I still maintain his are quiet average. The thing that makes him special and so successful at scoring are his first touch, ball control, speed and offensive runs. Another typical Salah performance capped with yet another goal - 7.5

Firmino - Looked knackered by the end, didn't think it'd make it off the pitch :-) That's because he played the pressing game throughout and ran his little bollocks off. Didn't create an awful lot but did well when involved in attacking play. Another typical Firmino performance which deserved to be capped by a goal. And by the way, I'm off to watch that nutmeg on repeat once I'm done with this post. 7.5

Wini - Got injured before the game got into gear, so can't rate. Hope he'll be alright.

Danny - Didn't have much of the ball when he came on but did well with the gift he was given. Finished like a true striker. Can't ask for more from a late substitute. I've got to say that his body language following Salah's opened was a little saddening. As Klopp celebrated, you could see him on the bench with his head down. Was probably upset about not starting and, I've got to say, looks like he wont want to stick around much longer - 7

Grujic - Didn't have enough time to make a mark but was nice to see him on the anfield grass in a Champions League match.

Klopp - No complacency! I know many were asking for our youngsters to start and for experimentation but I was happy to see our lineup. This was a must win and therefore required a strong team. Though we seems to be running into walls in the first half, I was encouraged when I saw him run to the locker room at the whistle as he would need every second of those 15 minutes to pass on the second half game plan. It worked and we got a comfortable 3-0 win. Onward - 8

Good post but I do want to point out that for me, Sturridge's attitude has been quite good this season. There were moments last season where he looked a little (or a lot) unhappy, but Klopp has praised his approach since the preseason. He is playing more (at least it seems that way) and I see him smiling, laughing with his teammates quite a bit. What I thought I remembered seeing after Salah's goal is that he was about to warm up, althought he didn't get in for some time after that. At any rate, I don't think there is a problem and expect him to start again at at West Ham.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #304: Nov 02, 2017 07:01:26 am
      If we got a fully fit squad back together then maybe we could be in with a shout of 4th. And even then we'll have to rely on Chelsea and Arsenal hitting crisis mode. But after the Tottenham game I lost any hope of getting 4th. And nor do I have any faith of us keeping our best players fit either, something that the teams above us seem to be able to do. We haven't done so for what seems like years so why should I expect it this year? And on top of that we have to contend with being lied to by FSG and given the silent treatment by faceless cowards like Michael Edwards with regards to questions about our 'transfer strategy'.

It's all rather depressing isn't it?

Very depressing mate, I thought it was just me feeling underwhelmed and deflated especially after an easy win.

Just not sure what the end game is at the moment, feels like we're not playing for much. I've set my heart on a takeover to be honest because FSG won't deliver us anything. Could be many years of this still to come though   :(
      Rockafella88
      • Forum John Toshack

• 267 posts | 83 
      Reply #305: Nov 02, 2017 08:16:49 am
      Christ some of the comments here. If I didn't watch the game I would of thought we got beat.

Everyone knew that Maribor would not want a repeat of last time out, so they literally parked the bus and fair play to them where a different team . For us, we did the job as expected, which for years we have not been able to do.

I picked Trent as MotM, thought his all round play is excellent, and I hope he develops the way I think he will. Scouse Cafu mark II.

We did this without IMO are three best players plus our first choice RB. I think we forget how much of an impact Mane has on this team, and lallana adds the creativity from midfield, while Phil adds another level.

I firmly believe all the doom.and gloom is a bit OTT, and once these three are back, we will.be smashing teams off the park.

And finally, it's quite nice that our second string so to speak is the strongest we have had for years. Long gone are the days of Spearing et al who just weren't good enough. Everyone in this squad has a part to play this season, which will hopefully arrest our mid/late season knackering that has happened all to frequently.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #306: Nov 02, 2017 08:30:35 am
      Cheer up guys, we aren't the blueshite
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,455 posts | 1478 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #307: Nov 02, 2017 11:01:52 am
      Didn't see the match but heard the first half was the worst performance yet

Any truth in this?
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #308: Nov 02, 2017 11:11:47 am

Any truth in this?

None whatsoever.

Spurs was much worse.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #309: Nov 02, 2017 11:22:58 am

Any truth in this?

No, we had all possession but no killing instinct.

MOTM A. Trent. Played very good crosses. He plays very well against lesser teams because he has less defending to do.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #310: Nov 02, 2017 11:24:47 am

Nah mate. It was typical 5 or 6 at the back for them and then they packed the edge of their box with the rest of their team. They deserve a bit of credit really for being so drilled and compact. They definitely didn't come here to get another hiding.

We just weren't playing the ball out from the back quick enough. Milner, Ox and Saleh were all making early runs but we'd play it square instead. Second half was different as we increased the intensity. Was good to see.

Job done, really. These group games are about results and we got what we needed. No complaints from me really about the game. The atmosphere was poor though. It's as though it was a New Years Day morning, game.
      RobieSlick
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,758 posts | 259 
      Reply #311: Nov 02, 2017 11:29:41 am
      If this is going to norm from now on wards then it makes life bit easier with her indoors. If we are going to play shlte first half and score 3 goals second half then it means I only have to watch the 2nd half and it keeps the missus happy. Happy days. :)
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #312: Nov 02, 2017 11:48:43 am
      Christ some of the comments here. If I didn't watch the game I would of thought we got beat.

Ha ha.  Tell me about it!

That's two teams in a few days come to park the bus - and us without Mane, Coutinho and even Lallana and we've won both games 3-0 and had the luxury of being able to miss a penalty!

I'd take 1-0's all the way through to the end of the season so I'm worried that people are disappointed with two 3-0's against teams with zero intention of trying to get more than a draw.

Any truth in this?

Not for me.  Thought it was one of the better goalless halves of football I've seen.  A more controlled header from Can and Salah and Firmino better control inside the box and we would have been 3 up.

I was less worried about getting the win at half time last night than I was v Huddersfield.
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #313: Nov 02, 2017 12:13:43 pm
      What a ridiculous and pitiful F***ing fan base we are at least on here.

Plenty of glory hunting teams for you lot to go and jump on the bandwagon and support. That setup from Maribor is a footballing travesty 10 men in their 35 yard area and we still managed to put 3 past them and create as many clear cut chances. The mighty Barcelona with Messi struggled to breakdown the same set up a day earlier.

Cheer the F**k up you lot we've just won 2 on the trot with a 3-0 score line it's something to build on after a miserable few weeks.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #314: Nov 02, 2017 12:20:32 pm

Any truth in this?

Wow you shouldn't believe everything you hear or read.

They were that far camped in their own half Klavan was playing as a No 10....

what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      Reply #315: Nov 02, 2017 12:36:45 pm
      What a ridiculous and pitiful f**king fan base we are at least on here.

Plenty of glory hunting teams for you lot to go and jump on the bandwagon and support. That setup from Maribor is a footballing travesty 10 men in their 35 yard area and we still managed to put 3 past them and create as many clear cut chances. The mighty Barcelona with Messi struggled to breakdown the same set up a day earlier.

Cheer the f**k up you lot we've just won 2 on the trot with a 3-0 score line it's something to build on after a miserable few weeks.

Spot on.

2 x 3 nil wins against parked coaches with Cou, Mane and Lallana missing.

Honestly, these are the games that we have seen end 0-0 in seasons gone by and moaned like F**k at how when not playing well against teams set up like that we cant grind a little 1-0 win. We've just done two 3-0s in four days and not even played well.

We've got lads to come back, we're only ten games into the Premier League season, more than likely going to the knockout stages of the Champion's League, got the FA Cup to come and, more important than anything, we've so far only played to about 35/40% of the level this squad can perform under Klopp. There's a lot of better stuff to come from these boys just yet.

Early days and a hell of a lot more football to play between now and May.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      Reply #316: Nov 02, 2017 12:37:54 pm
      My hope is that Klopp is holding them back from playing like we did in the first half of last season to have them do all that intense, no holds barred stuff the second half of this season. We were fu**ed last half of last season. May seem a wonderland and dreamy type of thing to say I know but glass half full and all that mate.

And I'm pissed as f**k.

Wow.

???

Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #317: Nov 02, 2017 12:39:56 pm
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #318: Nov 02, 2017 12:40:15 pm
      I've seen dozens of European games like this; team comes and parks the bus, it takes time to tire them out and wear them down.

They weren't here to play football, they were here to avoid another big defeat, and for the most part, they did it pretty well, even though we put 3 past them.

Some people have either forgotten this happens a lot in Europe (and the prem for that matter) or more likely, just love whinging.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      Reply #319: Nov 02, 2017 12:43:32 pm

Now I've seen it there's a slight memory but it was weird reading a post I'd only typed a few hours ago and not knowing what was coming.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #320: Nov 02, 2017 12:46:26 pm
      Now I've seen it there's a slight memory but it was weird reading a post I'd only typed a few hours ago and not knowing what was coming.

Gets worse as you get older mate. Plus you sound like yer Da
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #321: Nov 02, 2017 01:07:56 pm
      Annoys me that you can't say the teams performance was underwhelming despite us getting the win without other fans calling you a glory hunter and telling you to go and support another team.

I'll support the team I have since birth thanks, the one on my doorstep. I just won't say we've played well when we haven't. I'll give an honest account and voice my opinion on the game.

We got the results we needed and expected against both Huddersfield and Maribor, but the football we played in both matches was poor, I won't have anybody tell me any different. That score line flattered us last night.

Unless we go up a few gears then we won't get away with it for much longer. We have to be far more ruthless in attack.

A midfield three of can Henderson and Milner has no creativity and that's where the main problem lie in these type of games. We don't have to worry about our back four as much as usual because between both Huddersfield and Maribor they probably had something like 2 shots on target.

Only one of Henderson Milner and can have to be in there, at the very most two of them, but to play all three is just asking for trouble like we saw last night.

Ox wants to play in the middle and i for one want to see him get some minutes there, especially while coutinho and lallana are both missing.

We have to improve. We have to move the ball much quicker, much sharper. Increase the tempo.

I have no doubt that when couts mane and lallana are back in there will be much more flair about us, but last night was poor, no getting away from it.

Quick Reply