Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 19th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P21 W11 D8 L2

Your Captain - Pick Top 3

Read 5573 times
      DanMann
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish
      • Started Topic

• 5,634 posts | 866 
      Your Captain - Pick Top 3
      Nov 05, 2017 03:37:58 pm
      We saw yesterday the absolute disdain at the outrageous decision to give Mignolet the armband, and the discussion about the 'kind of player who gets to represent our club' has raised its head.

But, rather than just criticise, what are your suggestions? You see, it is easy to moan about it. Just like we get the current criticism aimed at Henderson.

Now, this is not a Henderson topic. I'm taking him out of it completely. I'm giving you the scenario yesterday..

No Henderson. No Milner. Who next? Name your next in line captain, and up to 3 players if you can.

I'm not going to name a top 3, because I have no problem with Mignolet. But I will review the options that Klopp had yesterday:

Mignolet
      Gomez - not Captain. Too young. Too inexperienced.
      Matip - Possible Captain. He's been regular in the team, and his defensive role gives him opportunity to give orders to the team. However, he's still fairly new to the side.
      Klavan - No way.
      Moreno - No way. Surely there would be greater outrage if Klopp gave it to him. Hardly been back in the side (although played great).
      Wijnaldum - No way. Doesn't do enough in games on a consistent basis. Also too new.
      Can - Not a chance. Not signing his contract. Not putting the team forward... just no chance.
      Oxlade-Chamberlain - 1st start. Captain? No way.
      Mané - No. He is magnificent in what he does, and I wouldn't want to labour him with any Captain duties. Just let him play his football.
      Firmino - No way. Goes missing in games. Can't command his team mates. Too inexperienced.
      Salah - No. Same as Mane. He is magnificent in what he does, and I wouldn't want to labour him with any Captain duties. Just let him play his football.

In my mind, I don't see how Klopp had alternatives yesterday. Who would you have as Captain when Milner or Henderson are not available?
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Re: Your Captain - Pick Top 3
      Reply #1: Nov 05, 2017 04:11:58 pm
      I honestly don't give a sh*t.

This whole "captain" thing is blown way out of proportion.

These are pro's, the "importance" of the captain these days is for amateurs.
      DanMann
      • Started Topic

• 5,634 posts | 866 
      Reply #2: Nov 05, 2017 04:20:58 pm
      I honestly don't give a sh*t.

This whole "captain" thing is blown way out of proportion.

These are pro's, the "importance" of the captain these days is for amateurs.

Totally agree. Hence, I am happy enough with Mignolet as a 3rd option (after Henderson and Milner). I don't think it matters on the pitch. We won yesterday! - That surely wasn't down to him...  ;D

The topic is more for those who are not content with the situation to propose their alternatives.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #3: Nov 05, 2017 05:22:15 pm
      We saw yesterday the absolute disdain at the outrageous decision to give Mignolet the armband, and the discussion about the 'kind of player who gets to represent our club' has raised its head.

But, rather than just criticise, what are your suggestions? You see, it is easy to moan about it. Just like we get the current criticism aimed at Henderson.

Now, this is not a Henderson topic. I'm taking him out of it completely. I'm giving you the scenario yesterday..

No Henderson. No Milner. Who next? Name your next in line captain, and up to 3 players if you can.

I'm not going to name a top 3, because I have no problem with Mignolet. But I will review the options that Klopp had yesterday:

Mignolet
      Matip - Possible Captain. He's been regular in the team, and his defensive role gives him opportunity to give orders to the team. However, he's still fairly new to the side.
      Klavan - No way.
      Moreno - No way. Surely there would be greater outrage if Klopp gave it to him. Hardly been back in the side (although played great).
      Wijnaldum - No way. Doesn't do enough in games on a consistent basis. Also too new.
      Can - Not a chance. Not signing his contract. Not putting the team forward... just no chance.
      Mané - No. He is magnificent in what he does, and I wouldn't want to labour him with any Captain duties. Just let him play his football.
      Firmino - No way. Goes missing in games. Can't command his team mates. Too inexperienced.
      Salah - No. Same as Mane. He is magnificent in what he does, and I wouldn't want to labour him with any Captain duties. Just let him play his football.

In my mind, I don't see how Klopp had alternatives yesterday. Who would you have as Captain when Milner or Henderson are not available?

I'd have all of them as captain ahead of our "magnificent" lead by example of excellence keeper, but a top 3 would be Matip, Firmino and Mane, beyond that I'd have Can and Wijnaldum
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #4: Nov 05, 2017 06:07:34 pm
      From that starting 11 it should have been Firmino for me, could argue Matip too
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,010 posts | 2735 
      Reply #5: Nov 05, 2017 07:15:43 pm
      Not that bothered about it in all honesty but if I was pushed I'd say I'd probably have given it to Mane and Matip over Mignolet. Maybe Firmino as well.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Reply #6: Nov 05, 2017 07:35:02 pm
      I’m thinking from a regular in the side, in a position he can see what’s going on all around him, which would help with the decision making and instructions,  it has to be Matip.
      For leading by example, work rate and effort that is, even thought it’s been said he sometimes goes missing, I’d say Bob. The captaincy may improve his poorer games due to the responsibility. If it did, it would be a win win situation.
      RedWilly

• 9,141 posts | 1619 
      Reply #7: Nov 05, 2017 07:46:12 pm
      Lots of criticism yesterday about the choice of Captain.

Fair play to those prepared to put up an alternative suggestion. Meanwhile other critics have shied away from naming their Captain and turned to mockery instead.

You are such a soft b***ard. bi*ch and moan about other users is the point of this thread, not to have a debate.

As if people questioning Migs as choice as captain is so outrageous after all his f**k up’s and a general unwillingness to even accept responsibility for it?

The fact we have the stupid f**king situation of rotating our keepers between PL and CL shows that he isn’t seen as indispensable to the team for a start.

He’s absolutely f**king useless and should have been binned years ago. Klopp’s continued persistence with him and Lovren will be his downfall unless he sees the light and sharpish. Spurs should have been the final straw for the pair of clowns.

Mane, Matip and Firmino for the record.
      « Last Edit: Nov 06, 2017 05:06:20 am by RedWilly »
      Danzel
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,305 posts | 1113 
      Reply #8: Nov 05, 2017 07:51:55 pm
      Think people put far too much importance on the captaincy. At quite a few clubs, it's just the player that has been at the club longest. At some other clubs he is chosen by his fellow teammates. I'm pretty sure that if our current players had to vote, that they'd go for Henderson again.

We've been blessed with quite a few remarkable leaders and captains in the past, but everyone fills in the role of captain the way he wants to. None of us know how important Henderson is behind the scenes, how well respected he is as a player among his teammates, how much he talks with the players, how important he is for the manager, ... Everything we've heard from both Klopp and Gerrard so far is that he fulfills the role very well. As Swab said, we're talking about professionals here, they get tons of information before the game starts, down to what the opposition right back has had for breakfast. All of them have to chip in and coach each other when they set foot on the pitch.

If you look at the other top teams, who is their captain?:

- Valencia at the mancs
      - Cahill at Chelsea
      - Silva at City
      - Lloris at Spurs
      - Koscielny at Arsenal

Hardly the most inspiring lot. Are they the players their teammates look up to when things aren't going well? Do they lead by example? Do they 'take the game by the scruff of the neck'? (love how often that cliché gets thrown around). Bar Silva on occasion, none of them do. Yet they're all captain for their respective clubs.

If I had to make a top 3 for when Henderson / Milner aren't playing, at #1 would be Wijnaldum for me. He was PSV's youngest captain and he led them to a league title. I think people underestimate his importance in our team. We've had pretty much every possible combination in midfield so far this season, one constant has been Wijnaldum. If he's fit, he plays. Always. People so often say that they have no clue what he's doing, calling him "Mr. Invisible" etc. If he's so bad, Klopp wouldn't put him in his starting line-up almost every single game.

#2 Firmino, he leads by example. Not the most vocal player, but he always gives it his all.
      #3 Matip
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #9: Nov 05, 2017 08:09:20 pm
      Firmino: Leads by example, always positive, strong work ethic but I think his grasp of the language holds him back in terms of communicating to the ref.

Mane: Another who leads by example, has that sheer desire to win but I think has a reckless aspect which giving him this extra level of responsibility could counter-act and perhaps be counter-productive. In essence he might feel he has to be more responsible, when what our team needs is a bit more of that recklessness/nastiness and pacifying any of that probably wouldn't be beneficial.

Matip: Strong character but hasn't built his presence among the team as yet, certainly a future candidate, but by then I suspect VvD will be here and from the little I've seen of him he does look a natural leader.
      « Last Edit: Nov 06, 2017 08:49:04 am by redkenny »
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #10: Nov 05, 2017 08:17:08 pm
      Lallana
      DanMann
      • Started Topic

• 5,634 posts | 866 
      Reply #11: Nov 05, 2017 09:22:31 pm
      You are such a soft b***ard. bi*ch and moan out other users is the point of this thread, not to have a debate.

As if people questioning Migs as choice as captain is so outrageous after all his f**k up’s and a general unwillingness to even accept responsibility for it?

The fact we have the stupid f**king situation of rotating our keepers between PL and CL shows that he isn’t seen as indispensable to the team for a start.

He’s absolutely f**king useless and should have been binned years ago. Klopp’s continued persistence with him and Lovren will be his downfall unless he sees the light and sharpish. Spurs should have been the final straw for the pair of clowns.

Mane, Matip and Firmino for the record.

Me soft?  :lmao: I wasn't the one having a meltdown yesterday at the thought of Mignolet leading the team.

Topic was to encourage consideration to the reality of the alternative. Looking at the suggestions put forward, Migs wasn't so daft a choice after all. The other options have pros and cons too.
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #12: Nov 05, 2017 09:25:40 pm
      When you don’t have a great group of options then I would say that picking Mig was a nice gesture from the boss.
      If I had to select from yesterday, I would go with Firmino. He really puts in performances that improve the entire team and sets an example
      But long term, LALLANA. 
      DanMann
      • Started Topic

• 5,634 posts | 866 
      Reply #13: Nov 05, 2017 09:28:57 pm
      Picard, Lorca, Sisko.

I really don't know how anyone can top Picard but Lorca is fantastic so far, really enjoying Discovery.

As for the topic:

Firmino: Leads by example, always positive, strong work ethic but I think his grasp of the language holds him back in terms of communicating to the ref.

Mane: Another who leads by example, has that sheer desire to win but I think has a reckless aspect which giving him this extra level of responsibility could counter-act and perhaps be counter-productive. In essence he might feel he has to be more responsible, when what our team needs is a bit more of that recklessness/nastiness and pacifying any of that probably wouldn't be beneficial.

Matip: Strong character but hasn't built his presence among the team as yet, certainly a future candidate, but by then I suspect VvD will be here and from the little I've seen of him he does look a natural leader.

Yes, I think Matip is an option.

Our front 3 give our team the most as they lead from the front, but I fear captaincy may hinder them. I don't want Mane having to sort out drama on the pitch.
      DanMann
      • Started Topic

• 5,634 posts | 866 
      Reply #14: Nov 05, 2017 09:39:52 pm
      When you don’t have a great group of options then I would say that picking Mig was a nice gesture from the boss.
      If I had to select from yesterday, I would go with Firmino. He really puts in performances that improve the entire team and sets an example
      But long term, LALLANA.

Lallana is an interesting shout. Fantastic player with incredible work ethic.

Could be a good call.. hopefully he comes back from injury as good as before.
      Scottbot

• 9,537 posts | 2126 
      Reply #15: Nov 05, 2017 09:47:21 pm
      I had no problem with Migs taking the arm and yesterday, it's not such a big deal.

As for an alternative to Henderdon I would happily see it go to Lallana when he's fit. I think he has had the arm band at saints before and he exhibits the work ethic you'd like from your skipper, he is also quite a vocal (as well as focal) player. The other obvious option yesterday would have been Matip. Had Can signed a new deal I think that he would have got it.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,036 posts | 6285 
      Reply #16: Nov 05, 2017 09:47:51 pm
      Firmino without question. After him of that group yesterday Matip. Mignolet had no business being named Captain. Klopp was having a laugh with that.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,299 posts | 3868 
      Reply #17: Nov 05, 2017 09:50:20 pm
      Lallana is an interesting shout. Fantastic player with incredible work ethic.

Could be a good call.. hopefully he comes back from injury as good as before.

I love Lallana, he deffo gets my vote. But I swear he’s always F***ing injured.
      Magillionare
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      Reply #18: Nov 05, 2017 10:10:58 pm
      Seems the one captain we need here is captain heinsight
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #19: Nov 05, 2017 10:41:12 pm
      Seems the one captain we need here is captain heinsight

Heinsight sounds like you've gone to look at pretty backsides, though hindsight is just as bad. ;)
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #20: Nov 06, 2017 01:27:05 am
      The question that shows up the lack of leaders we now have.

With a deal signed    Can.

Lallana.

Bobby.

After those three I'm really scratching around ... ?
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #21: Nov 06, 2017 04:05:14 am

Mignolet
      Klavan - No way.

Agree it's not as important as it once was. However, when Clyne is fit again, he would be a logical choice I think. I think it could be Gini as well. It doesn't have to be the best player.
      Magillionare
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      Reply #22: Nov 06, 2017 07:21:21 am
      Heinsight sounds like you've gone to look at pretty backsides, though hindsight is just as bad. ;)

:lmao: well there's a word I've been spelling wrong my entire life

Quick Reply