Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Lallana Back

Read 6217 times
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Lallana Back
      Nov 07, 2017 05:37:56 pm
      So it sounds like Adam Lallan will be back and available for selection following the international break. Not sure if he would be available to go 90 for Southampton, but I think we've seen by now that he is one of Klopp's favorites and understandably so.

So...given that he hasn't featured yet this season, the inclusion of Oxlaide-Chamberlain, the presumed return to health of Coutinho, and our midfield performances over the course of the season, where do you see Lallana fitting into the lineup, tactically. Who misses out as a result? What other players will benefit most from Adam being back in?

I admit I'm looking for something to talk about in a more-boring-than-usual international break, but hopefully this isn't fishing too deeply for a topic.
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,475 posts | 701 
      Re: Lallana Back
      Reply #1: Nov 07, 2017 05:52:07 pm
      Backup for Mane?
      Id also like to see what he could do as a CM
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #2: Nov 07, 2017 06:01:37 pm
      Backup for Mane?

No danger.

In for one of midfield.
      « Last Edit: Nov 07, 2017 06:21:05 pm by Scotia »
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #3: Nov 07, 2017 06:02:13 pm
      Its actually a good question, where does he fit in?
      Personally I'd like to see Can dropped into the Henderson role and then have Lallana playing next to Coutinho in CM. Perhaps that would be too attacking a set up but boy oh boy would it scare the sh*t out of opposition defences!

Migs (although I want Karius)
      Gomez  Matip  Klavan  Moreno
                        Can
                  Lallana  Coutinho
      Salah                          Mane
                     Firminio
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #4: Nov 07, 2017 06:32:33 pm
      Just don't bother with a defence
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,049 posts | 6294 
      Reply #5: Nov 07, 2017 06:38:20 pm
      Backup for Mane?

Backup :lmao: That's a good one!

MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #6: Nov 07, 2017 06:47:28 pm
      Its actually a good question, where does he fit in?
      Personally I'd like to see Can dropped into the Henderson role and then have Lallana playing next to Coutinho in CM. Perhaps that would be too attacking a set up but boy oh boy would it scare the sh*t out of opposition defences!

Migs (although I want Karius)
      Gomez  Matip  Klavan  Moreno
                        Can
                  Lallana  Coutinho
      Salah                          Mane
                     Firminio

Fully Agree about  Can  ...  and same preference over Migs.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #7: Nov 07, 2017 07:52:26 pm
      -----------Hendo
      Lallana------------Coutinho

That's our best midfield.
      Harrisimo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,968 posts | 1355 
      Reply #8: Nov 07, 2017 10:09:44 pm
      It's good to see him back. Never know where the next injury is coming from so it's always a positive to get a top player back. Lallana is very versatile and can fit in in almost any line up.

He interacts so well, clever, quick football brain. But..there's always a but..we tend to overdo the play outside the box a touch and Lallana at times is guilty of this. Any future line up has to be aware of the need to be a bit more direct.
      daveyd
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,670 posts | 35 
      • JĆ¼rgen Klopp to take us back to the top
      Reply #9: Nov 08, 2017 01:19:01 am
      -----------Hendo
      Lallana------------Coutinho

That's our best midfield.

Henderson........holy fcuk.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #10: Nov 08, 2017 01:56:16 am

Mane           Firmino            Salah

Coutinho         Lallana

Can/Henderson

(Other players watching the magic happen)

Magillionare
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      Reply #11: Nov 08, 2017 07:27:07 am

Let's just see if JĆ¼rgen agrees. I have a funny feeling he will.

Can was our worst midfielder against West Ham and donks are like 'ohhhh it's clear to see he's much better than Henderson'. Some people have been drinking too much paint thinner, their passing charts look identical, Can loses the ball more and retrieves it less. But yea, so much better.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #12: Nov 08, 2017 08:30:41 am
      but I think we've seen by now that he is one of Klopp's favorites and understandably so.
      "Understandably so"?

If that is indeed the case and if he does (as the o p infers) walk back into the team then clearly JĆ¼rgen isn't happy with what has been happening even tho' we have been winning.

Personally I have no issue with that but others (they who take exception to anyone suggesting the team can do better) might.

Where would I play him should he walk straight back in? Hmm...

I'd probably play Bobby alongside Coutinho, in the now infamous triangle, as two 'inside forwards', in a midfield three - just behind Mo/Sadio. Moving Adam up to play with those two.

Who would lose their place [in a winning team]? F**k knows... probably Can (who doesn't, it seems, want to stay here anyhow) but, just for shits and giggles and to give JĆ¼rgen's armchair aides their wish: why not Hendo? (Can is in better form IMO).

And sure, if we start to lose; we can call the experiment "teething problems" - pointing out that Naby will be here next season so Saul Goodman. 😉

« Last Edit: Nov 08, 2017 09:34:29 am by bad boy bubby »
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #13: Nov 08, 2017 09:27:00 am

Can was our worst midfielder against West Ham and donks are like 'ohhhh it's clear to see he's much better than Henderson'. Some people have been drinking too much paint thinner, their passing charts look identical, Can loses the ball more and retrieves it less. But yea, so much better.

Henderson is sh*t mate. Just admit it.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #14: Nov 08, 2017 09:46:38 am
      The chances are that you're right Mags especially if what we are told about JĆ¼rgen loving the press [recovering the ball] is true.

People often point out what a great job Bobby does in that [the press/recoverey] respect and argue that this work is invaluable in JĆ¼rgen's set up.

So, if that much is true and that argument is applied equally [no double standards], then Jordan, who presses/recovers more than anyone in the team, must start, you would think. 😎
      « Last Edit: Nov 08, 2017 11:03:16 am by bad boy bubby »
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #15: Nov 08, 2017 11:03:34 am
      The chances are youre right Mags especially if what we are told about JĆ¼rgen loving the press [recovering the ball] is true.

People often point out what a great job Bobby does in that [the press/recoverey] respect and argue that this work is invaluable in JĆ¼rgen's set up.

So, if that much is true and that argument is applied equally [no double standards], then Jordan, who presses/recovers more than anyone in the team, must start, you would think. 😎

But Bubby - heā€™s ā€œsh*tā€.....didnā€™t you know?

More than that heā€™s actually a ā€œshithouseā€ indeed  :f_tongueincheek:

On Lallana. I think heā€™ll have a couple sub appearances and then be back in - either in middle or further up. We miss how quickly he shifts the ball / angle of attack - even just by how he receives the ball in the final 3rd......especially against the bus parkers.

Then again - thatā€™s just the evidence of my own eyes. Heā€™s probably some sort of dilapidated out-building too and Iā€™ve just missed the memo ;)

redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #16: Nov 08, 2017 12:39:41 pm
      I'll be interested to see how our pressing is affected when Lallana comes back to regular first team footy. Taking out someone along the lines of Can, Gini and Milner to have Lallana in, is bound to affect the dynamics of our pressing game.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #17: Nov 08, 2017 01:11:22 pm

Agreed.

Can has been sh*t for the most part this season.

Very inconsistent player which is why the club don't seem too concerned about losing him on a free in the Summer.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #18: Nov 08, 2017 01:19:59 pm
      Lallana 10.
      Coutinho 8.
      Henderson 6.
      Mane 7.
      Salah 11.
      Firmino 9.

There were a couple of times towards the end of last season when coutinho was pushed into the middle (which is his best position in my opinion). I thought coutinho would play in the 10 role and lallana in the 8 but klopp had it the other way round and he was right to do so.  Coutinho is far better at collecting the ball from the back four than what Lallana is, and his vision and ability to start attacks off is way better too.  When coutinho comes deep and gets the ball, notice salah and watch him go because he knows coutinho is going to find him with the pass. Due to injuries etc we haven't seen much of it this season yet because coutinho has mostly been out wide.

Lallana on the other hand is much more aggressive than Coutinho when we don't have the ball. Quite often, Henderson gets all the plaudits (from his fan boys) for starting the press but I think that's bollocks. Its actually Lallana who kicks the press off and that's where you want him, in the 10 role, with firmino just in front of him. The pair of them won't give the oppoisition a minutes peace.   Lallana is also a very good footballer, very capable on the ball, and he too is much better in the middle than he is out wide. I could never understand why we ever played him LW or why he still plays there for England. You want him in the middle, in the 10 role all day long.

Its no secret I don't like Henderson (what a win on Saturday night by the way - another smashing without him in the team), but I think he is at his best with lallana in the middle with him. The alternatives are milner whos too slow, wijnaldum who I think is a much better footballer than Henderson but he is guilty of inconsistency, or Can who again blows hot and cold and doesn't even want to be here. So Henderson only just about gets the nod from me in that line up.

The sooner Keita comes in the better though  :D

PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #19: Nov 08, 2017 01:27:24 pm
      I'll be interested to see how our pressing is affected when Lallana comes back to regular first team footy. Taking out someone along the lines of Can, Gini and Milner to have Lallana in, is bound to affect the dynamics of our pressing game.

Imaginea Firmino, Mane, Salah, Henderson & Lallana , F**k me, the opposition would never get out of their own half!!! Just need a DLPM to dictate and create from deep!
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,049 posts | 6294 
      Reply #20: Nov 08, 2017 01:29:03 pm
      Imaginea Firmino, Mane, Salah, Henderson & Lallana , f**k me, the opposition would never get out of their own half!!! Just need a DLPM to dictate and create from deep!

Keita?, if he can steer clear of anymore trouble and actually make it hear next summer :D
      Magillionare
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      Reply #21: Nov 08, 2017 01:35:55 pm
      Henderson is sh*t mate. Just admit it.

I don't want to turn this into another Henderson debate, god knows I've have enough of those now people are probably sick of seeing them from me.

I will say that this post sums up what I think is wrong with the criticism of him. I go out and do the research to back up my points about passing, pressing etc. The retort is usually something like 'I know what I see, he's sh*te'.

I encourage people to prove it, there have been some who have provided good debate with incidents and data to back it which I found interesting... but this 'He's sh*te' business is bottom of the barrel for me.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #22: Nov 08, 2017 01:46:49 pm
      I don't want to turn this into another Henderson debate, god knows I've have enough of those now people are probably sick of seeing them from me.

I will say that this post sums up what I think is wrong with the criticism of him. I go out and do the research to back up my points about passing, pressing etc. The retort is usually something like 'I know what I see, he's sh*te'.

I encourage people to prove it, there have been some who have provided good debate with incidents and data to back it which I found interesting... but this 'He's sh*te' business is bottom of the barrel for me.

There's a reason Police take very little notice of eyewitnesses.
      Put simply, people see what they want to see, and most are not very observant.
      This is the main reason I refrain from commenting on a match until I've watched it again, using freeze frame and rewinding bits I find interesting.

It's like the whole Wijnaldum thing; he does so much of the dirty work that Lucas used to do, but he does it further up the pitch.
      People just don't see it.

Back to Lallana, he's such a F***ing nuisance for the opposition, never stops running, hassling, harrying, niggling away at them, plus he's pretty quick, skillful and chips in with his share of goals.
      It'll be good to have him back.

Quick Reply