Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Southampton?

Simon Mignolet
      2 (2%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      2 (2%)
      Dejan Lovren
      3 (3.1%)
      Ragnar Klavan
      1 (1%)
      Alberto Moreno
      2 (2%)
      Jordan Henderson
      2 (2%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      1 (1%)
      Philippe Coutinho
      1 (1%)
      Sadio Mane
      2 (2%)
      Mohammed Salah
      76 (77.6%)
      Roberto Firmino
      6 (6.1%)
      James Milner
      0 (0%)
      Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain
      0 (0%)
      Emre Can
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 94

Voting closed: Nov 22, 2017 04:58:22 pm

Liverpool 3-0 Southampton: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 19585 times
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Re: Liverpool 3-0 Southampton: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #230: Nov 18, 2017 06:31:16 pm
      More like Barry Chuckle and Hansen haha

To be fair jocky and lawro are getting on a bit
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #231: Nov 18, 2017 06:36:17 pm
      Really good win and performance, as others have mentioned the only slight negative was Henderson's lack of adventure, he is far to defensive which against the big teams is good but he needs to find a different more aggressive attitude against weaker opposition.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #232: Nov 18, 2017 06:37:24 pm
      Congratulations to mrs and mrs moreno, bertie missed his son's birth in order to play today, well in bertie lad

Bloody hell Robertson must be wondering if he'll ever get a game!

Congrats to Alberto and family though.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #233: Nov 18, 2017 06:50:20 pm
      Congratulations to mrs and mrs moreno, bertie missed his son's birth in order to play today, well in bertie lad

Aye Congrats, that's dedication for you!

Well in Alby.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #234: Nov 18, 2017 06:54:06 pm
      That'll do.

Good win.
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,111 posts | 896 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #235: Nov 18, 2017 06:59:00 pm
      Missed the game today, good win pressure building
      DanMann
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,635 posts | 866 
      Reply #236: Nov 18, 2017 08:17:01 pm

Bit sad that. He may regret that in days ahead.
      zz19a
      • The Mighty REDS 19
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,596 posts | 165 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #237: Nov 18, 2017 08:22:38 pm
       :aaliverpool2xt1: :aaliverpool2xt1: :aaliverpool2xt1: :kop5cf8koxp6:

Wondered
      MsGerrard
      Reply #238: Nov 18, 2017 08:50:32 pm
      Had a great day at Anfield today, boss win by the redmen, Salah man of the match but to be fair it was a great all team round performance and could have given my vote to at least 3 or 4 of the players, good atmosphere as well today and puts us well in the mix and a trip to Seville on Tuesday to look forward to with a visit from the chavs next weekend....bring it on  ;D I'm buzzing !!
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #239: Nov 18, 2017 08:55:46 pm
      Bit sad that. He may regret that in days ahead.

Not really, I’m sure the baby will understand when it’s older that it’s dad was out there keeping his place and earning the dollar.

Well in Moreno
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #240: Nov 18, 2017 09:06:56 pm
      Not really, I’m sure the baby will understand when it’s older that it’s dad was out there keeping his place and earning the dollar.

Well in Moreno

Yep. An all round pathetic little snipe.
      Scottbot

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #241: Nov 18, 2017 09:28:11 pm
      Another clean sheet, 4th win in a row and another 3 goals. Starting to really look good again now.

Impressed with our attack as ever, still concerns about our midfield and defence though. Think Henderson is incredibly wasteful with the time he is given and Lovren still looked a mess to me. Klavan very good indeed, as was Moreno.

Don't want to take credit away from our lads when we get a clean sheet but that right hand side of Lovren/Trent needs to be hidden in games where the opposition have attacks like the Saints, anyone with any potency could have punished us there I feel. Quicker Matip or Gomez come in for either in a defensive sense the better.

Overall, thoroughly professional performance. Tops stuff lads.

Only a point behind the 'brilliant' Spurs and if Rafa could do us a favour against the Scum then we'll be right on their heels too. Unfortunately, City look away and gone but other than that it's becoming very tight for the top spots again.

Have to disagree with you on both Hendo and Lovren today, I went the match today and thought both of them had a really good game bud.
      Kopite78
      Reply #242: Nov 18, 2017 09:31:54 pm
      Have to disagree with you on both Hendo and Lovren today, I went the match today and thought both of them had a really good game bud.

Yeah me too mate.
      I was at the match, Henderson was very good and Lovren did everything asked of him  (Not loads) very well. He looked calm and in control
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #243: Nov 18, 2017 09:47:42 pm

Fair enough mate, different perspective and all that but from what I saw, especially the first 30 minutes Henderson hit aimless pass after aimless pass. The only times we were breaking through was when he wasn't involved.

As for Lovren he looked a bag of nerves on a few occasions and was actually lucky to stay on the pitch at one point so I'll have to agree to disagree with ya.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #244: Nov 18, 2017 10:01:36 pm
      Fair enough mate, different perspective and all that but from what I saw, especially the first 30 minutes Henderson hit aimless pass after aimless pass. The only times we were breaking through was when he wasn't involved.

I thought his defensive game was exceptional today minus one incident where he broke forward to join the attack leaving NO ONE in midfield (wtf?), and if the opposition nicked the ball off Coutinho...

Anyway, I agree with his passing, very wasteful, and with the amount of possession we have, we should expect far better than what Hendo offers, but overall, he did have a good game.
      Scottbot

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #245: Nov 18, 2017 10:26:20 pm

As for Lovren he looked a bag of nerves on a few occasions and was actually lucky to stay on the pitch at one point so I'll have to agree to disagree with ya.

I thought his defensive game was exceptional today minus one incident where he broke forward to join the attack leaving NO ONE in midfield (wtf?), and if the opposition nicked the ball off Coutinho...

Anyway, I agree with his passing, very wasteful, and with the amount of possession we have, we should expect far better than what Hendo offers, but overall, he did have a good game.

I thought he played really well, he was strong in the tackle, won his fair share of headers, picked up a lot of second balls, tidied up for young Trent on a couple of occasions when he got caught out of position or lost the ball and with the ball I thought he was neat and tidy. We looked so dangerous going Forward that there really wasn't the need for him to be anymore than that with the ball, not with a Coutinho, Salam, Mane and Firmino front four ahead of him.

Henderson and Can shouldn't ever play in the same team together for me, has to be one or the other. I liked the balance of the team today with Coutinho in the deeper role.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #246: Nov 18, 2017 10:36:42 pm

I thought he played really well, he was strong in the tackle, won his fair share of headers, picked up a lot of second balls, tidied up for young Trent on a couple of occasions when he got caught out of position or lost the ball and with the ball I thought he was neat and tidy. We looked so dangerous going Forward that there really wasn't the need for him to be anymore than that with the ball, not with a Coutinho, Salam, Mane and Firmino front four ahead of him.

Henderson and Can shouldn't ever play in the same team together for me, has to be one or the other. I liked the balance of the team today with Coutinho in the deeper role.

Yeah I remember him covering for Trent on one occasion especially and the commentator chose that occasion to chirp in and say how well he was playing. It was late on in the first half, not sure if it was before or after we'd scored but this is the thing. When you say that we didn't need him to play better going forward, rather than keeping it ticking, is part of the problem with Henderson that gets repeated time and again, fair enough after the first goal went in we didn't but before that he was the point at which many of our attacks were breaking down. Constant long balls to nobody in particular, I remember him popping up on the right hand side and hitting the first man with his cross, being totally useless apart from perhaps one ball that Mane might have latched on to.

After that, when we have the lead then I think his responsibility becomes much more about the defensive side of the game but when the opposition are sitting in and have no ambition for attacking as Saints seemed to have then he is the player gifted the most time and most freedom with the ball and at that point his responsibility for influencing the attacking game and picking insightful or tempo raising passes becomes much more important and frankly he failed miserably. So much so that I remember LondonRed suggesting we should sub him after the first half-hour and I totally agreed with him. After that, the fact he mopped up a bit and won a few headers really doesn't interest me too much because we had then opened them up and our front 4 took over the game.

Giving Hendo much credit against an attack as impotent as Saints was today also seems like searching for praise rather than earning it. He put in one challenge to help Trent out and I heard him being Vocal to Mo to help Trent out on the odd occasion, that's about the best things he did all game.

I do agree Henderson and Can should never play together, a point PurpleMonkey has made many times as they take each other's space far too often and rather than complementing each other they become counter-productive. That in itself should show that Henderson in a team without creativity becomes part of the problem than the solution which is essentially the point I was making about the first 30 minutes. Anyone but him on the ball in space would be an improvement and for a player who plays in midfield that should never, ever be the case. (Mignolet obviously excluded, I'm just thankful when he manages to get the ball over the half-way line).
      DanMann

• 5,635 posts | 866 
      Reply #247: Nov 18, 2017 10:58:35 pm

Well in Moreno

Football over family?

He's missed a crucial moment by choice. I was there for the birth of each of my children.
      DanMann

• 5,635 posts | 866 
      Reply #248: Nov 18, 2017 10:59:16 pm
      Yep. An all round pathetic little snipe.

Won't rise to your childish posts. I'll just report it.
      DanMann

• 5,635 posts | 866 
      Reply #249: Nov 18, 2017 11:01:34 pm
      Having seen the highlights, I've gone for Firmino as MOTM. Salah outstanding again, but it's difficult to top Bobby. He's on form right now.
      Scottbot

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #250: Nov 18, 2017 11:10:16 pm
      Yeah I remember him covering for Trent on one occasion especially and the commentator chose that occasion to chirp in and say how well he was playing. It was late on in the first half, not sure if it was before or after we'd scored but this is the thing. When you say that we didn't need him to play better going forward, rather than keeping it ticking, is part of the problem with Henderson that gets repeated time and again, fair enough after the first goal went in we didn't but before that he was the point at which many of our attacks were breaking down. Constant long balls to nobody in particular, I remember him popping up on the right hand side and hitting the first man with his cross, being totally useless apart from perhaps one ball that Mane might have latched on to.

After that, when we have the lead then I think his responsibility becomes much more about the defensive side of the game but when the opposition are sitting in and have no ambition for attacking as Saints seemed to have then he is the player gifted the most time and most freedom with the ball and at that point his responsibility for influencing the attacking game and picking insightful or tempo raising passes becomes much more important and frankly he failed miserably. So much so that I remember LondonRed suggesting we should sub him after the first half-hour and I totally agreed with him. After that, the fact he mopped up a bit and won a few headers really doesn't interest me too much because we had then opened them up and our front 4 took over the game.

Giving Hendo much credit against an attack as impotent as Saints was today also seems like searching for praise rather than earning it. He put in one challenge to help Trent out and I heard him being Vocal to Mo to help Trent out on the odd occasion, that's about the best things he did all game.

I do agree Henderson and Can should never play together, a point PurpleMonkey has made many times as they take each other's space far too often and rather than complementing each other they become counter-productive. That in itself should show that Henderson in a team without creativity becomes part of the problem than the solution which is essentially the point I was making about the first 30 minutes. Anyone but him on the ball in space would be an improvement and for a player who plays in midfield that should never, ever be the case. (Mignolet obviously excluded, I'm just thankful when he manages to get the ball over the half-way line).

Good post mate, as you say, He do is at his best when he is in a team that is creating (like the year we nearly won it) because his attributes i.e. Workrate, strength, athleticism come to the fore and can be appreciated. Whe Klopp has got the balance right (as he did today), I'm happy enough for He do to simply give the ball to someone better In a red shirt like most decent DMs do. Personally I think he'd make an excellent centre Half! Played well today though.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #251: Nov 18, 2017 11:20:09 pm
      Football over family?

He's missed a crucial moment by choice. I was there for the birth of each of my children.

But you never played left back for one of the world's greatest football clubs. As you were...
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #252: Nov 18, 2017 11:26:36 pm
      Football over family?

But you never played left back for one of the world's greatest football clubs. As you were...

Points made. Leave it there now lads.

Quick Reply