Trending Topics

Next match: Atalanta v LFC [Europa League] Thu 18th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Stadio di Bergamo

Today is the 18th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W9 D10 L12

Pre Match: Sevilla v Liverpool KO Tue 21st Nov 19:45 (Champions League)

Read 7596 times
      IrishRed_IO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 5,479 posts | 342 
      • Formerly InertObject
      Pre Match: Sevilla v Liverpool KO Tue 21st Nov 19:45 (Champions League)
      Nov 20, 2017 05:46:18 am
      Surprised this hasn't already been started  ???

We can qualify for the last 16 with a win here, as can they. I'm sure like most of you I think they're due a beating this time, 3rd time lucky?

Looking forward to this one, I really do hope we can beat them this time around.

In terms of stats it looks all against us, they've a record of 3 wins and 1 loss against English opposition and our last three games in Spain have been 1-0 defeats. However, "The Reds still have a better win ratio against Liga opponents on Spanish soil than they do at Anfield. Their away record against Spanish clubs is W7 D4 L5, compared with a home record of W5 D7 L5."

I've posted the UEFA write up below

Sevilla and Liverpool seek decisive win
      Sevilla and Liverpool can both reach the last 16 with a win on matchday five, although there was nothing between the sides when they met on the opening night.

Sevilla FC and Liverpool FC both have the chance to book their place in the UEFA Champions League round of 16 when they meet in Spain on matchday five.

• Liverpool lead Group E on eight points and will qualify with a win, or with a draw if third-placed FC Spartak Moskva lose at home to bottom side NK Maribor.

• Sevilla, who earned a 2-2 draw at Anfield on matchday one, are second with seven points and will qualify if they win.

Previous meetings
      • Before this season, the clubs' sole past encounter came in Basel in May 2016, when Sevilla came from a goal down to become the first team to win the UEFA Europa League – and its UEFA Cup forerunner – for a third successive season. Initially it looked like being Liverpool's night as Daniel Sturridge fired them into a 35th-minute lead, but Kevin Gameiro levelled 17 seconds into the second period and two subsequent Coke goals (64, 70) gave Sevilla a fifth triumph in the competition.

• The line-ups at St. Jakob-Park on 18 May 2016 were:
      Liverpool: Mignolet, Clyne, Touré (Benteke 82), Lovren, Moreno, Milner, Can, Lallana (Allen 73), Coutinho, Firmino (Origi 69), Sturridge.
      Sevilla: Soria, Rami (Kolodziejczak 78), Escudero, Ferreira, Carriço, Krychowiak, N'Zonzi, Banega (Cristóforo 90+3), Coke, Vitolo, Gameiro (Iborra 89).

Match background

Sevilla
      • Sevilla have won both their home games in Group E. A Wissam Ben Yedder hat-trick secured a 3-0 victory over NK Maribor on matchday two before Spartak were beaten 2-1 in the most recent round of fixtures.

• The Spanish side have won six of their last eight European home matches, losing one and drawing the other, against İstanbul Başakşhir in this season's play-offs (2-2).

• Sevilla suffered their first home loss to English visitors when succumbing 3-1 to Manchester City FC in the 2015/16 UEFA Champions League group stage. They were 2-1 winners against Leicester City FC in last season's round of 16 first leg, but bowed out after going down 2-0 away.

• The Andalusian club's record at home to English teams is W3 D0 L1.

• Last term, Sevilla made it to the round of 16 for the first time since 2009/10 – but they have never gone further in the UEFA Champions League era. This is their fifth group stage campaign and their third in a row.

• Sevilla qualified by finishing fourth in the 2016/17 Spanish Liga. They knocked out Turkey's İstanbul Başakşehir in August's play-offs, winning the away first leg 2-1 before a 2-2 draw in southern Spain.

Liverpool
      • Liverpool have lost 1-0 on each of their last three visits to Spain, most recently going down at Villarreal CF in their 2015/16 UEFA Europa League semi-final first leg. The 3-0 home win in the return is Liverpool's sole victory in their last six matches against Liga opposition.

• The Reds still have a better win ratio against Liga opponents on Spanish soil than they do at Anfield. Their away record against Spanish clubs is W7 D4 L5, compared with a home record of W5 D7 L5.

• Liverpool were 7-0 winners at Maribor on matchday three, equalling their club-record European away victory. They have nevertheless won just three of their last 15 European away games (D7 L5), having drawn 1-1 at Spartak in their first Group E away match. Before triumphing at TSG 1899 Hoffenheim in their play-off first leg, the Merseysiders' last away success had been a 1-0 UEFA Europa League group stage win at FC Rubin Kazan on 5 November 2015.

• The five-time European champions did not take part in UEFA competition in 2016/17, when they finished fourth in the Premier League. They are aiming to reach the UEFA Champions League knockout rounds for the first time since 2008/09.

• The Reds earned their place in the group stage – for a tenth time overall – with a 6-3 aggregate play-off victory over Hoffenheim, winning 2-1 away and 4-2 at home.

Coach and player links
      • Alberto Moreno came through the ranks at home-town club Sevilla, making 62 first-team outings before joining Liverpool in 2014.

• Daniel Carriço played in England with Reading FC in 2013; one of his three appearances came in a 0-0 home draw with Liverpool in April 2013.

• Steven N'Zonzi played in England from 2009 to 2015, with Blackburn Rovers FC and then Stoke City FC. His record in 11 meetings with Liverpool was W2 D3 L6, although he scored in his most recent encounter – a 6-1 home win for Stoke on 24 May 2015.

• Nolito bagged four goals in 19 Premier League games for Manchester City FC in 2016/17.

• Jesús Navas was a Manchester City player between 2013 and 2017, with the record W2 D1 L4 against Liverpool. He played in the team that beat the Reds on penalties in the 2016 League Cup final.

• Philippe Coutinho had a loan spell with RCD Espanyol in 2012, scoring in a 1-1 draw with Sevilla in his final match on 13 May 2012.

Match facts

Sevilla
      • Sergio Escudero will incur a suspension with his next booking.

• Sevilla have scored just 14 goals in 12 Liga games this season.

• Sevilla have not drawn a game in any competition since matchday one (W8 L5).

• Steven N'Zonzi made his debut for France in the 2-0 friendly win against Wales on 10 November.

• Simon Kjær played every minute of both legs as Denmark reached the World Cup finals with a 5-1 aggregate victory in the play-offs against the Republic of Ireland.

• Éver Banega was on target in Argentina's 4-2 defeat against Nigeria in their friendly on 14 November.

Liverpool
      • Liverpool have won their last four games, each by a three-goal margin, in all competitions since losing 4-1 at Tottenham Hotspur FC on 22 October.

• Nine of the 13 goals Liverpool scored in those four victories came in the second half.

• Mohamed Salah scored twice in Saturday's 3-0 win against Southampton FC to go to nine goals in his first 12 Premier League appearances for Liverpool, overtaking Robbie Fowler's previous best for the Reds in the competition and making him the league's top scorer for 2017/18.

• Sadio Mané helped Senegal qualify for the World Cup finals with a 2-0 defeat of South Africa on 10 November.

• Dejan Lovren played every minute of both play-off legs as Croatia beat Greece 4-1 on aggregate to reach the World Cup finals.

• Joe Gomez made his England debut in the goalless draw against Germany on 10 November and a first start against Brazil four days later, when Dominic Solanke won his first cap.

• Philippe Coutinho and Sadio Mané are on the 30-man shortlist for the Ballon d'Or. The winner will be announced on 6 December.

• Mané suffered a recurrence of a hamstring injury in Senegal's game against South Africa but started on Saturday.

• Adam Lallana (thigh) and Nathaniel Clyne (back) are yet to feature this season.

http://www.uefa.com/uefachampionsleague/season=2018/matches/round=2000881/match=2021652/prematch/background/#sevilla+liverpool+facts

COME ON YOU REDMEN!  :kop5cf8koxp6:
      « Last Edit: Nov 20, 2017 09:57:59 am by JD »
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,578 posts | 6915 
      Re: Champions League Pre Match Thread : Sevilla v Liverpool KO 19:45
      Reply #1: Nov 20, 2017 09:57:30 am
      Thought we were marginally the better side in the game at home but a rare home defensive wobble and they go away with the point. 

This should be our toughest game of the 6 group games but I don't think Sevilla are the side they were when we played them in that final.

On recent form they'd have to be more wary of facing us now than us of them.

Few weeks ago I would have easy taken a draw but I think we can go there and win now.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,968 posts | 3052 
      Re: Pre Match: Sevilla v Liverpool KO Tue 21st Nov 19:45 (Champions League)
      Reply #2: Nov 20, 2017 10:04:38 am
      Thought we were marginally the better side in the game at home but a rare home defensive wobble and they go away with the point. 

This should be our toughest game of the 6 group games but I don't think Sevilla are the side they were when we played them in that final.

On recent form they'd have to be more wary of facing us now than us of them.

Few weeks ago I would have easy taken a draw but I think we can go there and win now.

I think we’ll be ok JD.

First leg was an odd one - we lost a terrible goal and were then excellent for the rest of the half.

I’ve said before I think if Bobby scores that pen then our season to date might have been a lot less tense......it was almost like confidence drained from the side from that moment.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #3: Nov 20, 2017 11:44:28 am
      I fancy us to win this quite comfortably, we are in very good form at the moment, the attack is getting better every game and even defensively we have improved, not that that was very hard! I'll go for a 3-1 away win to us.
      Madscouser
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,814 posts | 67 
      Reply #4: Nov 20, 2017 11:58:33 am
      We could do with a classic euro away game performance

Tight at the back to keep them nil, and try and nick a goal on the break

FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,382 posts | 3390 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #5: Nov 20, 2017 12:22:07 pm
      Pleased to see both lallana and danny ings in the squad
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #6: Nov 20, 2017 12:35:02 pm
      Liverpool's travelling squad: Karius, Wijnaldum, Lovren, Milner, Firmino, Coutinho, Salah, Gomez, Henderson, Sturridge, Grujic, Klavan, Moreno, Mane, Lallana, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Mignolet, Can, Robertson, Ings, Solanke, Ward, Alexander-Arnold.

No Matip.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #7: Nov 20, 2017 01:41:25 pm
      Pleased to see both lallana and danny ings in the squad

Ings??  Is that because he is such an amazing striker, honestly I'm getting a bit tired of everyone going on and on about Ings. Don't get me wrong I feel for the lad with the injury nightmare he has had but he is an absolutely bog standard striker, not what we need at all, I'd much rather play Solanke than Ings.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,253 posts | 2799 
      Reply #8: Nov 20, 2017 01:47:36 pm
      Just need to avoid defeat so we keep the chance of finishing top of the group in our own hands.

Quite fancy us for this, thought we were easily the better side in the first game.
      jimbo1962
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 874 posts | 102 
      Reply #9: Nov 20, 2017 01:51:46 pm
      totally thrilled that we finally have what looks like the complete squad to pick from...cmon lads, no excuses.
      jimbo1962
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 874 posts | 102 
      Reply #10: Nov 20, 2017 01:53:42 pm
      Ings??  Is that because he is such an amazing striker, honestly I'm getting a bit tired of everyone going on and on about Ings. Don't get me wrong I feel for the lad with the injury nightmare he has had but he is an absolutely bog standard striker, not what we need at all, I'd much rather play Solanke than Ings.

heheh is that the DS who fluffed his chance at glory V Brazil.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #11: Nov 20, 2017 02:21:33 pm
      This is gonna be a very difficult game. I'd like to see both Wijnaldum and Hendo more defensive and disciplined than ever before. I'd be happy with a draw, and then win vs Sparta and top of the group :)
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,086 posts | 8516 
      Reply #12: Nov 20, 2017 02:32:06 pm
      I fancy us to win this quite comfortably, we are in very good form at the moment, the attack is getting better every game and even defensively we have improved, not that that was very hard! I'll go for a 3-1 away win to us.

Doubt it, will be a tough game, they're a very good team at home.

Bit harsh having a sh*t dig at Solanke, will be a good player in future for us.

And I'll say the same to you, bit of a sh*t dig at Ings that calling him a bog-standard striker.

alex1995
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,186 posts | 165 
      Reply #13: Nov 20, 2017 03:02:13 pm
      I'd like to see Can, Sturridge and Ox start. The three of them want to play, let them show what they got. Add Coutinho, Lallana and Wijnaldum/Hendo and it's a solid team.

Sturridge
      Coutinho               Ox
                    Lallana
            Can         Wijnaldum/Hendo
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #14: Nov 20, 2017 03:17:51 pm

as opposed to Ings who's never ever had the chance to fluff a chance ;-)
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #15: Nov 20, 2017 03:19:39 pm
      Doubt it, will be a tough game, they're a very good team at home.

Bit harsh having a sh*t dig at Solanke, will be a good player in future for us.

And I'll say the same to you, bit of a sh*t dig at Ings that calling him a bog-standard striker.

Not having a dig at Ings, its just that on the times I've actually seen him play I've never gone wow, he's an ok striker but nothing special and not Liverpool quality.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #16: Nov 20, 2017 03:38:37 pm
      I'd like to see Can, Sturridge and Ox start. The three of them want to play, let them show what they got. Add Coutinho, Lallana and Wijnaldum/Hendo and it's a solid team.

Sturridge
                    Lallana

Sorry, but this makes no sense whatsoever.

Win this game and we're through to the next round, this isn't the time to "give people a go", this is the time for your best XI and get the job done.

We've been playing very well, consistently winning 3-0 since the Spurs game and our attack has looked extremely dangerous, swapping out all 3 of them is absolutely nuts. None of them need swapping out, I can see a case for Lallana to come in, but even he would have bang on match fit, which is virtually impossible without competitive games so to me the team picks itself until the defence.

Once you get to the back 5 then there's arguments to be made, but before that then I really don't see a justifiable change in starter.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,382 posts | 3390 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #17: Nov 20, 2017 06:37:07 pm
      Can for gini and gomez for trent. Going to be really tough in one of the most atmospheric grounds in europe
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #18: Nov 20, 2017 06:51:09 pm

Sturridge
                    Lallana

This is probably our most important game of the season...and you haven't included Salah, Firmino and Mane.

Just what are you thinking about??!
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,282 posts | 1513 
      Reply #19: Nov 20, 2017 07:03:39 pm
      Strongest side, get the job done, get back. Strongest side against Chavs, get the job done.
      Make a couple of changes against Stoke maybe, see how it goes, if we’re winning handsomely, make s couple of subs to give fringe players minutes.
      First and foremost, do everything possible to win every game. 😳
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,578 posts | 6915 
      Reply #20: Nov 20, 2017 07:27:23 pm
      Not having a dig at Ings, its just that on the times I've actually seen him play I've never gone wow, he's an ok striker but nothing special and not Liverpool quality.

Not sure if he's had enough time to prove anything either way. Doesn't look majorly promising for him but he's still got time on his side, maybe.
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #21: Nov 20, 2017 07:37:14 pm
      I see nothing here but a win for us and last 16 secured.
      Harrisimo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,163 posts | 1382 
      Reply #22: Nov 20, 2017 08:24:55 pm
      I see nothing here but a win for us and last 16 secured.

We owe them one after they did us in the Europa final but I doubt we will come away with more than a draw. Klopp won't blow everything on a all out win as we have Chelsea coming up.

He'll be happy with a draw and no new injuries..as I would settle for that as well.

Quick Reply