Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm - Pre Match Topic
      London Stadium

Today is the 27th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W13 D5 L11

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Chelsea?

Simon Mignolet
      1 (1.2%)
      Joe Gomez
      4 (4.8%)
      Ragnar Klavan
      0 (0%)
      Joel Matip
      0 (0%)
      Alberto Moreno
      5 (6%)
      Jordan Henderson
      3 (3.6%)
      James Milner
      0 (0%)
      Philippe Coutinho
      0 (0%)
      Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain
      6 (7.2%)
      Mohammed Salah
      61 (73.5%)
      Daniel Sturridge
      0 (0%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      0 (0%)
      Sadio Mane
      3 (3.6%)
      Adam Lallana
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 80

Voting closed: Nov 29, 2017 07:33:03 pm

Liverpool 1-1 Chelsea: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 27939 times
      6stringer
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,051 posts | 517 
      Re: Liverpool 1-1 Chelsea: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #414: Nov 25, 2017 10:11:06 pm
      I think it was pretty f***in obvious that when Conte threw Fabregas and Willian on he was gonna go for it and the space the two of them had was ridiculous.
      Alonso was quality as was Azpilicueta and Zappacosta
      That's the difference I'm afraid.
      Their quality passing and movement just overtook us and that last 15 minutes was so nerve rackin to watch.

Sturridge and Milner are finished I'm afraid ! they've had their day in the Premier league and offered absolutely nothing to our game today whatsoever.
      That moment in the second half when Klavan kept hitting a red shirt trying to clear it was f***in hilarious.
      there was a similar moment in the first half as well..Keystone cops stuff !! too many red shirts just stood in a line.

Chamberlain had an okay game but just reminds me of Jordan Ibe in his style of play and positioning.

Coutinho v Hazard?...If Phillipe is worth £150m F**k knows what Hazard is worth.

Thought Klavan and Matip played well as a pair it was the midfield in front of them that cocked things up.

If we wanna compete with the likes of Chelsea, Man City and Tottenham and dare I say it..M** * for this league title we need to be spending big time in January and if and when we do..Play the signings straight away.

Gutted for Mo Salah.. thought he was our shining light this afternoon and took his goal really well and he very nearly buried it again with that shot in the last few minutes but for a great save.

Two points dropped today

GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,322 posts | 1524 
      Reply #415: Nov 25, 2017 10:32:07 pm
      So fed up with seeing the same old crap, from the same crap players costing us points. It’s too often from the same 3 or 4 players and the problem is never considered a problem, and never rectified. Seems it never will be either.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #416: Nov 25, 2017 10:39:52 pm
      One of the most depressing things about this match was that Conte didn't even tell his players to go near Henderson. He had so much room today. Teams are now setting themselves up against us so that Henderson is allowed to have the ball.
      DanMann
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,749 posts | 882 
      Reply #417: Nov 25, 2017 10:46:30 pm
      Klopp saying he was not permitted to make the Lallana change earlier. Said he would have been able to stop their goal with his tactical setup. 5 at the back.

Interesting.

What's the story with Mane? I missed all of that.
      Danzel
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,305 posts | 1113 
      Reply #418: Nov 25, 2017 11:01:08 pm
      Klopp saying he was not permitted to make the Lallana change earlier. Said he would have been able to stop their goal with his tactical setup. 5 at the back.

Interesting.

What's the story with Mane? I missed all of that.

He's right. At around minute 83-84 I think it was, not sure. He wanted to bring on Lallana and I clearly remember the commentator (on the channel I was watching) saying something about it along the lines of "the substitution didn't go quick enough" (whatever that may mean, it was off screen, so no idea what happened on the sidelines). Ball went out of play, but play resumed quickly and he wasn't allowed to bring him on. This was all before we condeded the goal. You can also clearly see him making the signs for a "5-4-1" formation at that moment. Lallana did come on after the goal and played on the left of our midfield, the area he would've been in had he been brought on.

His game management wasn't wrong today, that in mind. It was a surprising line-up, but we were up 1-0. We scored, he brought on Wijnaldum to shore up the midfield and bring some solidity to it, while playing on the counter-attack with Salah. Had he not done it and we kept attacking, people would be saying we can't see out a game and "keep playing the same style" rather than sitting a bit deeper and trying to counter when we go up a goal. Then he noticed the pressure piling on our left side and wanted to bring on Lallana before we conceded. Wasn't allowed and they do score from our left side.

The only reason he brought on Mane was because they scored the equaliser. I don't think he planned to play Mane at all today. It's not like he planned this late substitution, he was forced to make it. That's something entirely different. I have also been critical of his late substitutions, particularly last season, but that has improved and he is changing things earlier this season.
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,162 posts | 1092 
      Reply #419: Nov 25, 2017 11:06:33 pm
      He's right. At around minute 83-84 I think it was, not sure. He wanted to bring on Lallana and I clearly remember the commentator (on the channel I was watching) saying something about it. Ball went out of play, but play resumed quickly and he wasn't allowed to bring him on. This was all before we condeded the goal. You can also clearly see him making the signs for a "5-4-1" formation at that moment.

His game management wasn't wrong today, that in mind. It was a surprising line-up, but we were up 1-0. We scored, he brought on Wijnaldum to shore up the midfield and bring some solidity to it, while playing on the counter-attack with Salah. Had he not done it and we kept attacking, people would be saying we can't see out a game and "keep playing the same style" rather than sitting a bit deeper and trying to counter when we go up a goal. Then he noticed the pressure piling on our left side and wanted to bring on Lallana before we conceded. Wasn't allowed and they do score from our left side.

The only reason he brought on Mane was because they scored the equaliser. I don't think he planned to play Mane at all today. It's not like he planned this late substitution, he was forced to make it. That's something entirely different. I have also been critical about his late substitutions, particularly last season, but that has improved and he is changing things earlier this season.

1. Question - Where is the harm in having Mane warming up with Lallan and having him ready to go if they do equalize?

You say you don’t think he intended Mane to play, so did Klopp just assume we would score and hold the lead? What if we didn’t score? Would Mane not be a late sub to get a chance maker on the pitch? I think he did intend for Mane to play, but only if they equalized. So in that case why not have him ready 5-7 minutes earlier?
      Danzel
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,305 posts | 1113 
      Reply #420: Nov 25, 2017 11:14:01 pm
      1. Question - Where is the harm in having Mane warming up with Lallan and having him ready to go if they do equalize?

You say you don’t think he intended Mane to play, so did Klopp just assume we would score and hold the lead? What if we didn’t score? Would Mane not be a late sub to get a chance maker on the pitch? I think he did intend for Mane to play, but only if they equalized. So in that case why not have him ready 5-7 minutes earlier?

Mane had been warming up with Lallana and Wijnaldum for a while. So he must have been warming up for about half an hour already before coming on since Wijnaldum came on in the 66th minute. There's a shot of it during the game (not sure around which minute) when Pedro, Willian and Fabregas are warming up too. So he did have a warm up and he was ready to go just in case we didn't score or were chasing a goal ourselves.

At that point in the game (before we conceded in the 85th) we didn't need to score, so there was no point in playing him. We had to make sure they didn't score with 5 minutes left on the clock. That is why he wanted to get Lallana on the pitch. To close down the centre, which was actually the main issue with the lead up to the goal.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,352 posts | 2819 
      Reply #421: Nov 25, 2017 11:15:06 pm
      Few positives in there today definitely.

Back four (especially Gomez) defended very well, a weak midfield left them exposed a lot but they did really well. Good to see Matip and Klavan deal with the crosses so well.

Salah getting better and better.

Went toe to toe with Chelsea without Lallana, Firmino and Mane - sign that the squad is finally getting a bit stronger?

In terms of negatives, the midfield once again failed to get a hold of the game (throughout really but more so when we went ahead). The more I watch us the more I think sorting the midfield out is probably just as important as getting a new centre back and keeper.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,177 posts | 8552 
      Reply #422: Nov 25, 2017 11:23:00 pm
      The thing with Mane I personally don't think it's to do with when he came, it's to do with the fact that when he did come on, he wanted the ball and was ignored. Twice that happened.

As ever we can't close a game out, imo I would of brought Mane on a little bit earlier. Salah my motm today, ran his bollocks off for the team and grafted too.
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,162 posts | 1092 
      Reply #423: Nov 25, 2017 11:25:13 pm
      Mane had been warming up with Lallana and Wijnaldum for a while. So he must have been warming up for about half an hour already before coming on since Wijnaldum came on in the 66th minute. There's a shot of it during the game (not sure around which minute) when Pedro, Willian and Fabregas are warming up too. So he did have a warm up and he was ready to go just in case we didn't score or were chasing a goal ourselves.

At that point in the game (before we conceded in the 85th) we didn't need to score, so there was no point in playing him. We had to make sure they didn't score with 5 minutes left on the clock. That is why he wanted to get Lallana on the pitch. To close down the centre, which was actually the main issue with the lead up to the goal.

I’m in the U.S, but I saw the same shot of all 6 warming up. I can’t go back and watch it but I do believe your times are all spot on. I also felt like the goal came earlier, but I was in a bar (on vacation and the condo TV doesn’t have Network TV WTF?) so that pokes a bit of a hole in my theory. Haha. I still wish Mane (or Lallana for that matter) was brought on earlier. Whereas Lallana would have sures up the centre of the pitch like you already pointed out Mane would have done something just as valuable, and that would be to intensify pressure on their defense and render their subs less likely to score. Oh well, I’m more sober now and not nearly as pissed. Haha. Let’s go get 6 this coming week Redmen.  :kop5cf8koxp6:
      lreland
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,360 posts | 116 
      Reply #424: Nov 25, 2017 11:30:11 pm
      We played a Chelsea team come back from long trip we should be fresh as team how hell as club we end up Henderson and milner as midfielder how hell can you win anything we them still playing at our club
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,318 posts | 6380 
      Reply #425: Nov 25, 2017 11:55:53 pm
      Personally would have brought Lallana in for Milner around 60-65 minutes. Wijnaldum fails to impress me, don’t know what he brings to our midfield. But I’m not the boss and he’s the one that knows football.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #426: Nov 26, 2017 12:00:36 am
      Anyone else notice who gave the ball away cheaply for the Chavs to then attack and get the goal? That's right, Mr Captain Fantastic. Didn't notice until I watched it on MOTD, had to rewind it, no idea what the hell he was trying to do, if it was a pass then it was abysmal and if it was an attempt at controlling it then it was abysmal.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #427: Nov 26, 2017 12:06:53 am
      I didn't watch the match but from the radio it sounded like a fair result although we do seem to be conceding late equalisers a bit to often!
      lreland
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,360 posts | 116 
      Reply #428: Nov 26, 2017 12:06:54 am
      Does klopp really think he win league here with Henderson and milner couple more Still here l play woodburn more them milner he pass it too slow
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,177 posts | 8552 
      Reply #429: Nov 26, 2017 01:30:20 am
      Anyone else notice who gave the ball away cheaply for the Chavs to then attack and get the goal? That's right, Mr Captain Fantastic. Didn't notice until I watched it on MOTD, had to rewind it, no idea what the hell he was trying to do, if it was a pass then it was abysmal and if it was an attempt at controlling it then it was abysmal.

Agreed said the same during the match to my bro & a few fellas around me, ball should of been cleared whether downfield or into touch.
      lreland
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,360 posts | 116 
      Reply #430: Nov 26, 2017 01:48:50 am
      Who in right mind think milner Henderson are good pair against Chelsea if that Rogers or owl head we ask them get sack
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,748 posts | 6721 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #431: Nov 26, 2017 01:57:08 am

For me, it was a fluke, yes Migs is sh*t but that was a fluke 100%.

Jammy cu*ts!!!!
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,417 posts | 3413 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #432: Nov 26, 2017 03:47:52 am
      Conte having the serious nerve to csll us lucky, a man who coached juventus who had refs on the payroll
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #433: Nov 26, 2017 05:10:30 am
      He's right. At around minute 83-84 I think it was, not sure. He wanted to bring on Lallana and I clearly remember the commentator (on the channel I was watching) saying something about it along the lines of "the substitution didn't go quick enough" (whatever that may mean, it was off screen, so no idea what happened on the sidelines). Ball went out of play, but play resumed quickly and he wasn't allowed to bring him on. This was all before we condeded the goal. You can also clearly see him making the signs for a "5-4-1" formation at that moment. Lallana did come on after the goal and played on the left of our midfield, the area he would've been in had he been brought on.

The only reason he brought on Mane was because they scored the equaliser. I don't think he planned to play Mane at all today. It's not like he planned this late substitution, he was forced to make it. That's something entirely different. I have also been critical of his late substitutions, particularly last season, but that has improved and he is changing things earlier this season.

Sub needed to be made sooner. Saod for about 10 minutes before their goal that they were killing us down the right.

That continued for about 10 minutes before Lallana was on the sideline.

Klopp takes a long time to see a problem and fix it and by the time it was rectified it was 1-1.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #434: Nov 26, 2017 06:31:21 am

For me, it was a fluke, yes Migs is sh*t but that was a fluke 100%.

Jammy Cu*ts!!!!

I don't know who was more surprised the ball went in the net-Willian or Migs.
      « Last Edit: Nov 26, 2017 06:36:09 am by Billy1 »
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,748 posts | 6721 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #435: Nov 26, 2017 06:54:39 am
      I don't know who was more surprised the ball went in the net-Willian or Migs.

Agreed mate, I know, I couldn't believe it myself. Just sat there shaking my head in disbelief. Jammy cu*ts!!!
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,934 posts | 4992 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #436: Nov 26, 2017 09:08:07 am
      Flopp cost us the game with that sh** decision to bring on a mid after the goal, should of been mane, firminho etc.

You need to go and take yer face for a sh*te fella,

If Migs either stays on his line or he actually reacts just a tad quicker we win, simples !!

YNWA

Quick Reply