Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Who's on your wish list for January

Read 37698 times
      PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Re: Who's on your wish list for January
      Reply #69: Dec 18, 2017 01:37:59 pm
      How about we just keep telling Barca to F**k off and keep Coutinho. No matter how much we get for him, our team will be worse without him!

Long list of players I would like to leave though: Mignolet, Flanagan, Lovren, Can, Markovic, Ings and Sturridge.

Bring in a top goalkeeper, a top centre half and a defensive midfielder.
      BostonScouse
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 715 posts | 106 
      Reply #70: Dec 19, 2017 06:03:18 pm
      How about we just keep telling Barca to f**k off and keep Coutinho. No matter how much we get for him, our team will be worse without him!

This all day. It looks like they’re up to their old tricks again: https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/dec/19/antoine-griezmann-atletico-madrid-barcelona-fifa?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other
      glws
      • On Trial

• 1 posts |
      Reply #71: Dec 19, 2017 10:34:27 pm
      I would also pass on wILSHIRE  AND GO AFTER A TOP cb   MAYBE Stephan Divrij but they need to move fast
      ,  vvd i DO NOT think is in our cards. I do like a sweeper midfield player with strong defensive traits 
      RazorRedz
      • Forum Jason McAteer

• 147 posts | 23 
      Reply #72: Dec 21, 2017 06:43:29 pm

Come on lads we all know quite well nobody's coming in January seems a waste getting your hopes up just try enjoying the thought of six more months of the mighty Lovren in the heart of our defence.

: :mad:
      bmck
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #73: Dec 21, 2017 06:54:53 pm
      Just an idea,

We need creative top quality individuals who can bolster our squad yes ?

So how about we go and take Jack Wilshere out of his miserable Arsenal existence ?
      I reckon he'd snatch our hands off...seriously...he's still only 25 has vast experience in the Epl and will be elegible for  the CL..  you could argue he's a bit injury prone but with Jürgen's rotational merry go round it could suit Jack and us ideally....we could get him for f**k all too cos i believe his contract is up at the Emirates......

Thought's  please ?

YNWA

Not for me, too injury prone.
      Would steer clear of Ozil too, bit too much of a fancy dan.
      Sanchez I'd consider, though we've a fair few similar players to him.

I'd go for Rakitic as part of a money/swap deal for Cou.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #74: Dec 21, 2017 10:23:17 pm
      Just an idea,

So how about we go and take Jack Wilshere out of his miserable Arsenal existence ?
      I reckon he'd snatch our hands off...seriously...he's still only 25 has vast experience in the Epl and will be elegible for  the CL..  you could argue he's a bit injury prone but with Jürgen's rotational merry go round it could suit Jack and us ideally....we could get him for f**k all too cos i believe his contract is up at the Emirates......

Thought's  please ?

YNWA

No, we need top quality defenders and keeper, not Jack Wilshere who tries fighting nippers in an U23 match.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #75: Dec 22, 2017 12:27:51 am
      No, we need top quality defenders and keeper, not Jack Wilshere who tries fighting nippers in an U23 match.

The spine of this team needs to be replaced so I'd also go for an attacking/creative midfielder and possibly a Striker. If we assume for the moment we're losing Coutinho, Sturridge and quite probably Ings in the Summer, it'd be good to get their replacements in, let them spend the next six months getting used to  a new country, play some football in the cups and all round settling in to the club without the pressure to perform straight away, hopefully allowing them to hit the road running next season.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #76: Dec 22, 2017 02:37:10 am
      The spine of this team needs to be replaced so I'd also go for an attacking/creative midfielder and possibly a Striker. If we assume for the moment we're losing Coutinho, Sturridge and quite probably Ings in the Summer, it'd be good to get their replacements in, let them spend the next six months getting used to  a new country, play some football in the cups and all round settling in to the club without the pressure to perform straight away, hopefully allowing them to hit the road running next season.

We’re 4th in the league and in the round of 16 For CL and we need to REPLACE the spine?

Uh no. We need some tweaking and reinforcements but it would be foolish to completely replace the spine. Plus we have Keita incoming next summer.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #77: Dec 22, 2017 11:09:57 am

Like i said it was only a idea not 'lets go out and get this fella immediately'
      He'd be a valuable addition imo bringing with him experience in the epl and he's quite adept at finding a runner with precision, he's played in the CL would not be cup tied, and he's a better option than say Henderson,
      Look it probably won't happen but to sign someone of his quality at still only 25 wouldn't be a bad move.

YNWA
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #78: Dec 22, 2017 11:49:10 am
      We’re 4th in the league and in the round of 16 For CL and we need to REPLACE the spine?

Uh no. We need some tweaking and reinforcements but it would be foolish to completely replace the spine. Plus we have Keita incoming next summer.

Is reading really so difficult? I didn't suggest replacing the spine this season, I said the spine needs replacing so get the players in now so they can settle in, buy a new house, learn the language, get a feel for the culture etc. not to mention coaching them on Klopp's style of play for the next six months so that starting next season, all those distractions are out of the way, they're used to the system and can hit the ground running. This is how we used to operate, pre-Premier League. A player would spend some time in the reserves before graduating to the first team. So we bring them in now, coach them, help them settle in and give them game time in the FA Cup and possibly some easier league matches.

However if you think the spine of our team doesn't need replacing moving forward you're living in cloud cuckoo land. Neither Mignolet, Karius, Lovren nor Matip are good enough to propel us to both domestic and European glory, we're probably looking at loosing Coutinho and no, Keita isn't his replacement, he's Can's, so we still need another player there. On top of that we're probably going to be looking at Sturridge and Ings leaving, the latter at least on loan which leaves us two down in the Striking department - and even if you argue we're currently over stocked in that area, an argument I could buy into, I'd argue back that we're only overstocked by a single player. Furthermore, you'd be hard pressed to find someone who thinks Henderson is the right man to do the job he's being asked to do. Opinions vary in intensity but are generally consistent that we could do better.

So as I said, from a purely pragmatic perspective, getting those players in now before the players they're replacing leave, is a good idea, and even if I'm wrong in my assumptions on certain players, the key to being a successful club is always upgrading on what you've got. We aren't just competing against other clubs on the pitch, we're competing against them in the market and we need to be doing everything we can to gain an advantage over them. Finally, in conclusion, it's a World Cup year, do you really want to wait until the Summer where players prices escalate through the roof because they've had a successful tournament and we're competing for their signature with more clubs? From every conceivable standpoint, replacing the spine in Jan makes perfect sense.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #79: Dec 22, 2017 02:05:30 pm
      Is reading really so difficult? I didn't suggest replacing the spine this season, I said the spine needs replacing so get the players in now so they can settle in, buy a new house, learn the language, get a feel for the culture etc. not to mention coaching them on Klopp's style of play for the next six months so that starting next season, all those distractions are out of the way, they're used to the system and can hit the ground running. This is how we used to operate, pre-Premier League. A player would spend some time in the reserves before graduating to the first team. So we bring them in now, coach them, help them settle in and give them game time in the FA Cup and possibly some easier league matches.

However if you think the spine of our team doesn't need replacing moving forward you're living in cloud cuckoo land. Neither Mignolet, Karius, Lovren nor Matip are good enough to propel us to both domestic and European glory, we're probably looking at loosing Coutinho and no, Keita isn't his replacement, he's Can's, so we still need another player there. On top of that we're probably going to be looking at Sturridge and Ings leaving, the latter at least on loan which leaves us two down in the Striking department - and even if you argue we're currently over stocked in that area, an argument I could buy into, I'd argue back that we're only overstocked by a single player. Furthermore, you'd be hard pressed to find someone who thinks Henderson is the right man to do the job he's being asked to do. Opinions vary in intensity but are generally consistent that we could do better.

So as I said, from a purely pragmatic perspective, getting those players in now before the players they're replacing leave, is a good idea, and even if I'm wrong in my assumptions on certain players, the key to being a successful club is always upgrading on what you've got. We aren't just competing against other clubs on the pitch, we're competing against them in the market and we need to be doing everything we can to gain an advantage over them. Finally, in conclusion, it's a World Cup year, do you really want to wait until the Summer where players prices escalate through the roof because they've had a successful tournament and we're competing for their signature with more clubs? From every conceivable standpoint, replacing the spine in Jan makes perfect sense.

Completely agree, we are progressing no doubt about that at all, however, we need to go up another level just to swim in the wake of those ahead of us and that means employing better quality individuals who can do that,
      As each season goes by those ahead of us will improve also so we really do need to at least try and keep up with the Jones's,
      We can do that significantly with the warchest we have at our disposal, id hazard a guess that it currently stands at around £200m , add the monies that Barca will spunk at us for Phil and we could be looking at £330m, thats quite a kitty to attract those from the top drawer, then there is the CL money the tv money etc we got plenty ,
      Trouble is tho clubs reluctance to sell mid season and IF the right fit is indeed available,

But yes we do need to strengthen especially in defence and GK, Keita is hopefully just the tip of the iceberg and we will see further quality added by the start of next season.

YNWA
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Reply #80: Dec 26, 2017 10:43:26 am
      Just an idea,

Thought's  please ?

YNWA
      Personally I think he’s the most over rated player in the Prem.
      Runs well with the Ball, but usually give up possession cheaply or ends up on his arse winging at the ref.
      Occasionally, he contributes an assist, and all the pundits rave about him. Seems to me, most games he’s involved in, they draw or lose.
      He seems to believe he’s brilliant himself, but in my opinion he’s crap.
      Wouldn’t want him at Anfield, think Bournemouth are above his level, done well to get s loan there. Think he’s a championship player at best.
      Can’t understand what all the fuss is about with him, and most people I talk to think similar, even Arse fans.
      trebor12
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,034 posts | 69 
      Reply #81: Dec 27, 2017 09:22:28 am
      I'd play hard ball with Barca on Coutinho but I'm reserved to the fact that I think if there's a chance to go in January he will want to go. I'd let him go only if there was a chance to get Keita in early. I think any one of either Ox or Lallana can play in that deeper role he plays in midfield, maybe not as well but they could play there. Keita would give us a bit more steel in midfield to let Hendo play a little further forward because let's be honest he's no DM. Bring in VVD, hope Clyne hurrys up and get fit so that Gomez can get in to that CB role alongside VVD.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #82: Dec 27, 2017 04:40:41 pm
      Just an idea,

Thought's  please ?

YNWA

Think Wilshire is very much like someone we already have Lallana.   Need a wriggler through tight spaces and Wilshire is definitely that

How many points has Migs cost us in the first half of the season already ?   There was two alone dropped against the Arse .
      Jürgen doesn't seem to want to let Danny have a run at GK .... should have let him stay with Wagner for another season than languish in the reserves. 

Migs has a contract to give him some value in the market .

VVD (as posted) didn't travel with Saints on Boxing Day so something is afoot.

Helluva lot really depends in Coutinho goes in January or not.  Thats a lot of financial headroom to play with if he does.

The Spuds have just kicked back into form.
      We've no problem scoring .... its the goals we keep leaking from schoolboy errors  Lovren and Migs being the main offenders.
      That will be our undoing ending up 5th or 6th.

Need some air between us and the chasers and new blood would go a long way to kick on.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #83: Dec 28, 2017 12:14:38 am

VVD (as posted) didn't travel with Saints on Boxing Day so something is afoot.

Aha.  Me smelt something in the air me did.   ;D

PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #84: Dec 28, 2017 12:26:10 am
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #85: Dec 28, 2017 12:26:47 am
      Aha.  Me smelt something in the air me did.   ;D

That was just the aftermath of Xmas sprouts.
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #86: Dec 28, 2017 03:27:12 am
      Now for a top quality keeper or one with the makings of being one very soon.
      Wouldn’t mind Butland to be honest or even Kasper Schmeichel
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #87: Dec 28, 2017 05:11:15 am
      If Coutinho goes, should get Lazano and Kevin Trapp.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #88: Dec 28, 2017 06:13:55 am
      If Coutinho goes, should get Lazano and Kevin Trapp.

Trapp is krapp he is kevin von krapp, not as good as karius
      « Last Edit: Dec 28, 2017 06:23:33 am by FATKOPITE10 »
      tomx
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,244 posts | 229 
      Reply #89: Dec 28, 2017 06:22:21 am
      buy oblak and banega and im sure we would win pl in next years.
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #90: Dec 28, 2017 06:47:50 am

Oblak would be an amazing and hugely unlikely signing sadly
      Benega to me has never fulfilled his potential and is better on fifa or football manager that what he really is.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #91: Dec 28, 2017 07:41:59 am

Banega isn’t good enough.

One great game in 4/5 and clocks off in 2/3 of the other’s altogether.

Quick Reply