Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 19th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D8 L5

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Stoke?

Simon Mignolet
      1 (1.1%)
      Joe Gomez
      3 (3.3%)
      Dejan Lovren
      0 (0%)
      Joel Matip
      3 (3.3%)
      Alberto Moreno
      0 (0%)
      Emre Can
      2 (2.2%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      2 (2.2%)
      Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain
      1 (1.1%)
      Sadio Mane
      24 (26.1%)
      Roberto Firmino
      2 (2.2%)
      Dominic Solanke
      2 (2.2%)
      James Milner
      0 (0%)
      Mohammed Salah
      51 (55.4%)
      Jordan Henderson
      1 (1.1%)

Total Members Voted: 89

Voting closed: Dec 03, 2017 09:57:17 pm

Stoke City 0-3 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 25777 times
      Pippen
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 692 posts | 46 
      Re: Stoke City 0-3 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #345: Nov 29, 2017 10:34:39 pm
      Hallo, welcome back Simon. Rough game, but still 3-0 (it's obvious it only can be Simon himself that voted for him in our MOTM survey) :)
      DanMann
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,705 posts | 880 
      Reply #346: Nov 29, 2017 10:34:51 pm
      Solanke was more effective. And he's younger and I bet he'll be more willing to work off his b*tt than Sturridge who always looks a bit lazy out there.

How about a deal with the Saints: Sturridge for VVD in January? I'd offer this deal to them if I am Klopp.

Sturridge has been plagued by the "lazy" label before he even came here. No matter what he does, or how many goals he scores, he continues to be "lazy".

Solanke was effective today - but more effective? I don't think so. Sturridge would have scored that chance - but Solanke did brilliantly to make it. Happy to see Solanke get his chances, but if we are prepared to play with a striker, Sturridge has to be ahead of Solanke. He's got a finish like no other and he will bring the goals.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #347: Nov 29, 2017 10:36:05 pm
      Solanke and Ox looked very good tonight I thought.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #348: Nov 29, 2017 10:40:35 pm
      Solanke did a Sturridge today. Played the same way - but is hailed for it.

Same style but effective and added quality. That's the bit you're overlooking.

Solanke looked to drop deep and play a quick one-two, then spin off to make the run in behind to the space he created by dragging the defender out.

Sturridge drops deep and usually just plays the ball back in to midfield and stays static.
      Pippen
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 692 posts | 46 
      Reply #349: Nov 29, 2017 10:44:05 pm
      Sturridge has been plagued by the "lazy" label before he even came here. No matter what he does, or how many goals he scores, he continues to be "lazy".

Solanke was effective today - but more effective? I don't think so. Sturridge would have scored that chance - but Solanke did brilliantly to make it. Happy to see Solanke get his chances, but if we are prepared to play with a striker, Sturridge has to be ahead of Solanke. He's got a finish like no other and he will bring the goals.

We are not far apart here, your points are mostly legit, but 1. Solanke is younger and 2. we need two dimensional striker: try to score goals, but if it isn't there, press and disturb and try to make things happen in the midfield like Firminho does. Sturridge has shown he cannot do that, Solanke looks more willing and he's young enough and hungry to listen.

Why not offer Sturridge to the Saints for VVD or to Monaco for Lemar (plus/minus whatever extra cash)? I think it could accelerate a deal and Sturridge is not good enough anymore for top clubs, so he'll be happy to go to these teams and get a starting job.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,595 posts | 3839 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #350: Nov 29, 2017 10:45:36 pm
      On as a sub.
      Man of the match.
      Mo f**king Salah.

Also delighted for Solanke and Alex.
      Solanke will surely develop with minutes and Alex really growing into the season.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #351: Nov 29, 2017 10:47:18 pm
      I think a shout out to AOO is due given the criticism he received from many of us when he first signed. Not much will be written about him but he played his part. Hard working, good movement and a couple of nicely delivered balls.

Totally agree mate, from probably the worst debut I've ever seen from any player (he literally lost the ball on every touch and missed a sitter), he's steadily improved to a place where I'm happy to see him come on and would be happy to see him give another of our lads a rest.

Definitely worthy of praise.

Voted for Mane.  Yes two great goals from Salah - but when you are in such hot form, and you're rocking on to the pitch at 70 minutes then it's going to be significantly easier. 

Gave it to Mane for the opener, the threat and the assist. 

Fair enough that JD. Just really hope we can tie this front line down to exceptionally long contracts, best attack I've seen us have since the nearly season, in fact right up there with them.
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #352: Nov 29, 2017 10:50:15 pm
      Play as a striker, off the shoulder of the defender, up front, in the box. Looking for the shot. All that.

Opposite of "the Firmino". Where one chases and harasses the ball around the forward half of the pitch.

Solanke was playing as a striker. Waiting to receive the ball. Hold up the ball. Get the ball into the path of his co-forwards, and look for the ball to strike at goal. That's what Sturridge does. He tends to wait for the ball to come, always making runs and looking for striking chances.

Solanke has a deft touch, he can receive the ball, control it and guard it. From what little I've seen of him, he has strength.
      With Sturridge, he is very delicate so can't handle the rough treatment, he also seems to lose the ball easily these days and picks the wrong pass, so can't be relied upon.
      Sturridge had his quick acceleration, which is gone along with his sharp reflex shots.
         I don't think they are similar at all. you mean in a positional sense. Sturridge is never where he needs to be these days, but I'll admit I don't know if the JK tells him to avoid the box and amble into the midfield, he doesn't make intelligent runs any more, I can't remember the last time Sturridge wowed me with his movement. But, you never know he could sharpen up, I'm resigned to the fact that he won't be the same player we all grew to love watching. I hope he does of course. Mentally he may click into gear, problem is, I don't see him getting much opportunity with the forwards we have at our disposal.
      Pippen
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 692 posts | 46 
      Reply #353: Nov 29, 2017 10:51:08 pm
      Totally agree mate, from probably the worst debut I've ever seen from any player (he literally lost the ball on every touch and missed a sitter), he's steadily improved to a place where I'm happy to see him come on and would be happy to see him give another of our lads a rest.

Definitely worthy of praise.

Vice versa with Milner, by the way. Never looked worse than the last couple of weeks. Maybe the trust and week-in-week-out playing time has an effect?
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,475 posts | 4821 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #354: Nov 29, 2017 10:51:09 pm
      And on a cold winter's Wednesday night in Stoke....
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #355: Nov 29, 2017 10:55:21 pm
      I am the only one who think Solanke had a poor game tonite?...Don't get me wrong I want to see him do well, but he had a poor game i thought
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #356: Nov 29, 2017 10:57:46 pm
      I am the only one who think Solanke had a poor game tonite?

Yes.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,475 posts | 4821 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #357: Nov 29, 2017 10:57:53 pm
      I am the only one who think Solanke had a poor game tonite?...Don't get me wrong I want to see him do well, but he had a poor game i thought

Yes, you are, because he wasn't poor at all.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,173 posts | 4402 
      Reply #358: Nov 29, 2017 10:58:47 pm

How exactly?

Scottbot

• 9,593 posts | 2153 
      Reply #359: Nov 29, 2017 11:04:42 pm
      Solanke did a Sturridge today. Played the same way - but is hailed for it.

But when Sturridge plays like that, he is criticised.

It's not about the play - but the name of the player.

That's rubbish dude, Solanke was considerably stronger on the ball, held it up better than Studge and made a goal with a nice touch and cute pass to set Mane away. And I even saw him make a couple of tackles which is something you will never see from Studge.
      Scottbot

• 9,593 posts | 2153 
      Reply #360: Nov 29, 2017 11:08:39 pm
      I actually voted Matip as my man of the match. Mane, Salah and Ox all had good games but the thing I was happiest about tonight was the way the back four won their headers, made blocks and clearances and were first to 2nd balls and we were very solid defending set pieces. Am really surprised to see the attacking players getting all the votes. Matip, Lovren, Gomez and Moreno all played well.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,384 posts | 3394 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #361: Nov 29, 2017 11:19:34 pm
      The migs incident/  controversy makes the win a bit sweeter as it fu**ed off that sour faced welsh c**t Hughes  no end
      « Last Edit: Nov 29, 2017 11:27:13 pm by FATKOPITE10 »
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #362: Nov 29, 2017 11:23:33 pm
      Salah MOTM. Mane played well but Salah was the difference maker. What a player. More like him, please.

molbys belly
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,537 posts | 123 
      Reply #363: Nov 29, 2017 11:28:29 pm
      What a player our Mo is
      Ynwa
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #364: Nov 29, 2017 11:34:07 pm
      Not ssen any of the game but good result, honestly couldn't see us getting a clean sheet, thought we'd have scraped a 2-1 win.
      molbys belly
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,537 posts | 123 
      Reply #365: Nov 29, 2017 11:37:17 pm
      Stoke
      Not ssen any of the game but good result, honestly couldn't see us getting a clean sheet, thought we'd have scraped a 2-1 win.

Stoke missed a couple mate but Salah fked them over ;D
      Scottbot

• 9,593 posts | 2153 
      Reply #366: Nov 29, 2017 11:39:34 pm
      We were lucky as took to not be down to 10 men though. I thought Migs had a good game but he really shouldn't have been on the pitch.
      molbys belly
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,537 posts | 123 
      Reply #367: Nov 29, 2017 11:41:27 pm
      Captain chaos ;D

Quick Reply