Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 26th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W15 D7 L2

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Brighton?

Simon Mignolet
      0 (0%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      1 (1%)
      Dejan Lovren
      0 (0%)
      Emre Can
      1 (1%)
      Andy Robertson
      5 (4.9%)
      Jordan Henderson
      3 (2.9%)
      James Milner
      0 (0%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      1 (1%)
      Philippe Coutinho
      38 (36.9%)
      Mohammed Salah
      4 (3.9%)
      Roberto Firmino
      47 (45.6%)
      Marko Grujić
      2 (1.9%)
      Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain
      1 (1%)

Total Members Voted: 101

Voting closed: Dec 06, 2017 04:53:34 pm

Brighton & Hove Albion 1-5 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 26868 times
      Harrisimo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,265 posts | 1391 
      Re: Brighton & Hove Albion 1-5 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #345: Dec 03, 2017 12:07:56 am
      Not taking sides here Dan, but Bob Paisley once castigated a full back for tackling.
      “Why does he think he needs to tackle him there. He’s on the edge of his own box, he doesn’t want the ball there. His job is to hold him up, pressure him and make him turn away from our goal. Make him play the ball back up the field.”
      That was Bobs take on a full backs job. Not saying Moreno is better for not tackling, or Robbo is worse if he does. Just an observation.
      Make you think a bit though doesn’t it. My training methods changed after hearing that when I was coaching 😁

It's way to early to make a call on Robertson. Klopp hasn't fully decided, and he can't till he sees Robertson for at least 25/30 games if not more. Klopp knew Moreno needed resting. Klopp could of dropped him after Serville but he managed the situation.

I would say he will like what he sees of Robbo, we all do but he hasn't seen enough of him, especially coming under real pressure against top players. He's managing him as well.

Moreno isn't a bad full back and when he gets panic mode out of his system he will be far better.
      6stringer
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,051 posts | 517 
      Reply #346: Dec 03, 2017 12:08:22 am
      Klopp took the piss today, we played a 1-6-3 and dominated for a majority of the game :D. That would piss me right off as an opposition manager.

Our 2nd & 3rd goals today were simply stunning. To go from what should have been 2-1 to instead being 3-0 up in the space of 14 seconds is a credit to our attack.

On the counter there isn't a better team in the league than us.

Agree mate, although the sky blues of manchester are decent on the counter as well.
      That said, I wonder sometimes if, not only myself, but a few of us on the forum are guilty of condemning our line ups before our games have even kicked off.
      Probably down to the miscommunication across the line up earlier in the season.
      BUT
      These last seven or so games (Spurs aside) we have dominated possession and put the ball where it matters, in the back of the net.
      Can't complain about that can we?
      Yes, we have an issue with our defence and the individual players who play there and some may say after today that we wouldn't have got away with that line up against stronger opposition but we played as a unit today and that's all we can ask for.

Can actually suits that role he played today and with Matip out for what's looking like most of December JĂźrgen may as well stick him there every game. He defo linked up better with Trent than what Lovren normally does. Likewise with Wijnaldum/Robertson on the other side.

Clean the boots, we've got a Champions League group decider on Wednesday....good times ahead!

« Last Edit: Dec 03, 2017 12:14:43 am by 6stringer »
      Harrisimo

• 8,265 posts | 1391 
      Reply #347: Dec 03, 2017 12:17:30 am
      Missed the game today so just watched it on MOTD. Great result, everything that could go right, did go right for a change, inspite of some, shall we say, interesting changes to the side. Also enjoyed the fact we mixed it up with the goals proving we're not a one trick pony when it comes to scoring.

Embarassment of riches at one end, just an embrassment at the other. Sort that out in the Summer and we'll be doing next season what City are doing this.

I was referring to our top 6 squad as such. Klopp obviously doesn't have the same quality at the back. Even today he had to utilise Can and Gini. I mean I know you know that and I'm not really against a rotation policy. Much more comfortable with it under Klopp that I was under Rafa for example.

But if Klopp does get it wrong at the top end he will have quality on the bench so we will always be in with a chance.
      Harrisimo

• 8,265 posts | 1391 
      Reply #348: Dec 03, 2017 12:23:07 am
      Klopp took the piss today, we played a 1-6-3 and dominated for a majority of the game :D. That would piss me right off as an opposition manager.

Our 2nd & 3rd goals today were simply stunning. To go from what should have been 2-1 to instead being 3-0 up in the space of 14 seconds is a credit to our attack.

On the counter there isn't a better team in the league than us.

But the 4th was " off the wall" was it not... and I was going to listen to ÂŁ150m....but after today they'll have to add Messi to the ÂŁ150m.....and even then they are only getting him for a fortnight..on a timeshare deal..
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #349: Dec 03, 2017 01:12:55 am
      Just watched MOTD and how the f**k was that a Pen?

Agree ...but in any event Hendo didn't need to have done that anyway and give the ref any chance of a decision.

Voted Bobby, of course, MOTM and want to see no f**ker on this forum have a go at him again.
      Pure Class!
      He can stay number 9 in my book all day long.

Saw TAA got a vote. He put in a critical tackle when it was 3-1 that if it had gone in would have raised Brighton's tails.
      Got a brilliant cross in early on. Please to see Klopp bringing him, Robertson and Solanke along.

Fact :
      Brighton's largest ever attendance at the Amex .... ironically more of their supporters than ever before to see the Reds turn it on.

FFS  Lets consolidate from 4th onwards into the new year and just hope we can get some steel into our defence in the transfer window. 

No excuse.

We are in touch .... could be worse .

(PS  Off topic but on the day .... was that Sammy Lee I saw on the box employed at the Bitters with Fat Sam ? )
      « Last Edit: Dec 03, 2017 01:17:59 am by MIRO »
      Gongfarmer
      • Forum Phil Babb

• 173 posts | 19 
      Reply #350: Dec 03, 2017 01:32:31 am
      How about keeping that defence? I'm not messing, seems to have done as well as any other we have put together. The other plus is a central defender that scores headers :-)

Happy days, well played reds...
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #351: Dec 03, 2017 01:53:57 am
      I was referring to our top 6 squad as such. Klopp obviously doesn't have the same quality at the back. Even today he had to utilise Can and Gini. I mean I know you know that and I'm not really against a rotation policy. Much more comfortable with it under Klopp that I was under Rafa for example.

But if Klopp does get it wrong at the top end he will have quality on the bench so we will always be in with a chance.

I know, I'm just saying we're so stocked with quality in attack that if we match it in defence we'll be unstoppable.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #352: Dec 03, 2017 03:18:39 am
      The most banter football game :D

Played Lovren as our only real defender in a 1-6-3 formation with Gini as a "centre-back".

ManĂŠ didn't even play and Grujic even made the pitch.

And we won 5-1.
      Muzzman1969
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 919 posts | 41 
      Reply #353: Dec 03, 2017 04:55:51 am
      What an unusual line up, but effective none the less.  Maybe this is the blueprint against this type of team, who will give us all the ball.

Our speed on the break when it goes right is incredible, and five goals with Mo not scoring.

Loved the comments from Klopp on the free kick.  Identified that they always jump, and it was whether Phil had "the balls" to try it.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,621 posts | 3917 
      Reply #354: Dec 03, 2017 07:20:22 am
      Agree ...but in any event Hendo didn't need to have done that anyway and give the ref any chance of a decision.

Voted Bobby, of course, MOTM and want to see no f**ker on this forum have a go at him again.
      Pure Class!
      He can stay number 9 in my book all day long.

Saw TAA got a vote. He put in a critical tackle when it was 3-1 that if it had gone in would have raised Brighton's tails.
      Got a brilliant cross in early on. Please to see Klopp bringing him, Robertson and Solanke along.

Fact :
      Brighton's largest ever attendance at the Amex .... ironically more of their supporters than ever before to see the Reds turn it on.

FFS  Lets consolidate from 4th onwards into the new year and just hope we can get some steel into our defence in the transfer window. 

No excuse.

We are in touch .... could be worse .

(PS  Off topic but on the day .... was that Sammy Lee I saw on the box employed at the Bitters with Fat Sam ? )

I was wondering the exact same thing about Sammy Lee, surely not?!
      zz19a
      • The Mighty REDS 19
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,604 posts | 165 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #355: Dec 03, 2017 07:22:56 am
      I was wondering the exact same thing about Sammy Lee, surely not?!

You guys are right, Sammy Lee 100%.
      zz19a
      • The Mighty REDS 19
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,604 posts | 165 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #356: Dec 03, 2017 07:34:02 am
      First Team Assistant Manager - Sammy Lee

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Everton_F.C.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,972 posts | 3057 
      Reply #357: Dec 03, 2017 09:11:41 am

Yup.

Missionary work.

It’s a godless place over there mate.
      « Last Edit: Dec 03, 2017 09:43:24 am by Scotia »
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 11,690 posts | 3710 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #358: Dec 03, 2017 09:31:02 am
      MOTM Emre Can for me because his goal was decisive to open them. I know Firmino and Coutinho were excellent but Emre was brilliant in his own sense.

Trent was also in the mix to his brilliant defensive work. Good hard win!
      LFCSTEVE1984
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,730 posts | 408 
      Reply #359: Dec 03, 2017 10:06:54 am
      Who the f**k cares? We won 5-1 you know?

I think Solanke looks hungrier, puts himself about more and is a lot more of a workhorse.

Even though he isn't scoring I'd rather have him come on than Sturridge. Studge will probably be gone soon so I'd rather Dom get minutes because hopefully a time will come where he is banging them in for years to come.
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,499 posts | 1491 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #360: Dec 03, 2017 11:13:08 am
      Anyone know why Hughton didn't shake Klopp's hand?
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,320 posts | 1524 
      Reply #361: Dec 03, 2017 11:15:12 am
      Yes, we have an issue with our defence and the individual players who play there and some may say after today that we wouldn't have got away with that line up against stronger opposition but we played as a unit today and that's all we can ask for.

Horses for courses Stringer, Horses for courses
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,320 posts | 1524 
      Reply #362: Dec 03, 2017 11:17:10 am

I think Hughton had his hands in his pockets, looking for his pre match tactical notes, to see where it all went wrong ... >:D
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,972 posts | 3057 
      Reply #363: Dec 03, 2017 11:43:43 am

It was strange wasn’t it - especially when he was so gushing in the aftermath about us........

MotD seemed to think it was just that he found it offensive the way JĂźrgen gets so excited.

Probably that “Klopp - cult of personality” thingy some on here bang on about.

What’s all that about  :confused-smiley-013:
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,499 posts | 1491 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #364: Dec 03, 2017 12:02:47 pm
      Not sure Scotia but Ian Wright made me laugh (on MotD) when he said:

"The thing with Herr Klopp when you score four or five and the fist-pumping and the gurning kind of gets to you." :lmao:

It was said in good humour to be fair

Madscouser
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,814 posts | 67 
      Reply #365: Dec 03, 2017 12:51:45 pm
      much needed 3 points

shame about the soft penalty - but must give us confidence going into Spartak on Wednesday and then the derby

now for citeh to start slipping up
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #366: Dec 03, 2017 12:53:48 pm
      Mignolet's kicking yesterday... :D

It took me longer than most but I've completely ran out of patience with our goalkeeper.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 11,690 posts | 3710 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #367: Dec 03, 2017 12:59:10 pm
      Mignolet's kicking yesterday... :D

It took me longer than most but I've completely ran out of patience with our goalkeeper.

But he played well apart from his distribution. I'm one of those few that think he is our best keeper available, saying this is not implying that I would not buy a new keeper next Summer.

Quick Reply