Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 19th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P21 W11 D8 L2

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Spartak?

Loris Karius
      1 (1%)
      Joe Gomez
      0 (0%)
      Ragnar Klavan
      2 (1.9%)
      Dejan Lovren
      0 (0%)
      Alberto Moreno
      0 (0%)
      Emre Can
      1 (1%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      2 (1.9%)
      Philippe Coutinho
      65 (63.1%)
      Sadio Mane
      4 (3.9%)
      Mohammed Salah
      0 (0%)
      Roberto Firmino
      26 (25.2%)
      James Milner
      2 (1.9%)
      Daniel Sturridge
      0 (0%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 99

Voting closed: Dec 10, 2017 09:52:38 pm

Liverpool 7-0 Spartak Moscow: In game & post match discussion

Read 28205 times
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,578 posts | 3825 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Re: Liverpool 7-0 Spartak Moscow: In game & post match discussion
      Reply #414: Dec 07, 2017 12:26:40 pm
      Couldn't pick a man of the match, kept changing my mind every 10 minutes! Bring it on.

Understandable, but the answer was Coutinho.
      Stunning performance.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,333 posts | 3360 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #415: Dec 07, 2017 12:27:16 pm
      Proper team performance last night & I've struggled with MOTM too.

How lovely was it to see us so fluid all over the pitch.

Plenty of fluid all over the place after that game last night
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #416: Dec 07, 2017 12:43:52 pm
      Not about this match but our CL form in general, this tweet makes a good point:

https://twitter.com/BassTunedToRed/status/938524750002913280

Now that we've shown our teeth both in the CL and the league I find the swing from wanting JĆ¼rgen sacked in some corners to in others people thinking we're just 1 or 2 players away from really being in contention for this, really quite interesting.

Personally, I think the likes of PSG, Bayern, City are too strong for us right now and I say that purely from a defensive stance. If it's our attack v their defence and their attack v ours then unfortunately I think they out score us. One big plus from my perspective was the dropping of Henderson, there was no laboured possession last night and the tempo/pressure was maintained for most of the match until a brief period at 5-0 when we clearly took our foot off the gas.

Now I'm not saying Can is the answer there, but it should give JĆ¼rgen a view as to how we look without Hendo and the difference in the flow of the game just that personnel change can make.

If I were to say how far we are from winning a CL, without things falling exactly in our favour, then I'd say we're a CB, CM and possibly a LB away. Keita fills one of those voids, but to me he's an upgrade rather than filling the real position of weakness which is the 6, for me that is just as vital as a proper CB right now and without those 2 I just think we'll get found out by the more balanced sides.

Good post. You're not allowed to talk about Henderson though. You just have to enjoy the win.

Really not bothered one iota.

Thatā€™s just how captaincy works - however you calculate ā€œseniorityā€ it passes on when someone more senior joins the play.

If - and thatā€™s a big if in the short term - we do get to the stage of selecting a new club captain Iā€™ll go with whomever the manager (any manager) believes can lead / communicate best.

Normally I'd agree but we have a squad that lacks any real leaders.

In my opinion Coutinho is more suited to the armband than what Milner is and its just a little annoyance of mine that a player is chosen to captain the side only to strip himself of the armband mid game and pass it onto a substitute who wasn't chosen to play. As I said its not as if it was Gerrard coming onto the pitch. Milner is hardly Mr Liverpool or Mr Leader.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #417: Dec 07, 2017 12:45:35 pm
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #418: Dec 07, 2017 01:09:10 pm
      Roy Keane says " Liverpool have beaten nobody yet"...well fair point and it will obviously be harder against top teams but we are not just beating teams now, we are wiping the floor with them.

And Klopp knows we are brilliant going forward but he does know we have to defend better. These past few games have been the making of our season and no matter what Roy Keane says this form going forward will create and score against even the best.

The problem other teams have is " who do you mark"..  ?

Keane is a c**t. An ex Manc c**t.

Is right. Who do you mark ? 
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #419: Dec 07, 2017 01:21:31 pm

Keane hates Liverpool and he really hates Kenny.

That means his views are irrelevant on everything. Ever.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #420: Dec 07, 2017 01:28:14 pm

Exactly, it's the way I've always loved footy played and why I detest big target men. The unpredictability of our attack means you can't coach a team to counter it. If we perform as we can we score goals, no deep block or 2 banks of 5 can prevent that level of creativity from eventually getting through.

As JĆ¼rgen says, it's about being able to be patient and continue to play football. Where we broke down too often last season was that when the plan wasn't working we started just lumping the ball in there when we really have no suitable target (bar Solanke) for that style of footy. Then the calls of "can't break down bus parkers" came along. As suggested at the time, JĆ¼rgen just needed to continue with his progression and adapt the team to suit, which boy has he done.

Like you say, it's impossible for a defender to ever get comfortable with "their man" because all 3 of our front lads can pop up across that front line and be a threat from inside or outside the box. All 3 can beat a man, all 3 can create for the other and all 3 will make a selfless run. Being a number 10 in this team would be a dream, I know Coutinho was awesome last night and is quite often but playing in behind those 3 just makes you look so much better than you are. You're given more time due to defenders having kittens about stepping up and leaving space, you're left with time to shoot because they always have to be on the back foot due to the electrifying pace all 3 possess. It's a nightmare for them and the good thing is all three of them average out at just over 25 years old, they're not even peaking yet.

Imagine how good these lads could be in a couple of years time, we just have to keep them together, which is going to be an obviously tough ask.
      The Real Donavan Ried
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #421: Dec 07, 2017 01:31:19 pm
      Just need to strengthen defense wise in the January window and this team has a realistic chance of win this thing  ;D
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #422: Dec 07, 2017 05:43:01 pm
      Well that was bloody fantastic!
      We were so clinical up front, controlled the midfield and defended fairly well
      The game to me really summed us up at our current best though
      the defense really needs players of the quality that our attackers have.
      6stringer
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,051 posts | 517 
      Reply #423: Dec 07, 2017 07:02:43 pm
      We'll get by with a little help from our friends ;D
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Reply #424: Dec 07, 2017 07:14:04 pm
      Does it annoy anybody else when whoever is chosen as captain for the night then gives the armband back to another player who comes on from the bench?

Coutinho was skipper last night. Before he demanded a move to Barca he was always my choice to be captain too. I thought he stepped up to the role fantastically and led by example.

Milner comes on, who isn't even captain just vice, and coutinho gives him the armband. Why?

Unless he was ordered to by klopp, which I doubt, then I'd have kept that armband on all night if I was coutinho! I'd be showing I'm worthy of it and I'd be trying to earn it on a permanent basis.

I understand it's a mark of respect to Milner but nah, it's not for me that.

I think our captaincy is up for grabs personally, it's not like we have anybody who is standing out head and shoulders above anybody else when it comes to consistency or leadership. It's not like Steven Gerrard is coming off from the bench is it? Milner isn't even first choice! The same even goes for Hendo in my opinion.

I'd like to see whoever captains us next keep the armband on for the night and show Klopp that he wants it.

I think youā€™ll find, the armband has to be passed on if the captain goes off, subbed, injured or whatever. There has to be a ā€˜visibleā€™ captain on the park st all times. The ref may need to address him for one reason or another.
      I suppose giving it to the sub coming on, is the easiest option.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Reply #425: Dec 07, 2017 07:24:14 pm
      Why do people bother to quote Keane like heā€™s an authority on the game ?
      He has to be one of the most consistent dirty fouling cheating bas**rds to play in the top flight.
      Total utter w**ker as far as Iā€™m concerned.
      Coward of a man. I would have loved to have played against him. Hate intimidating bullies like him with a passion.
      I would have personally enjoyed snapping that bas**rds leg.
      Aggerdoo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,464 posts | 228 
      Reply #426: Dec 07, 2017 07:31:00 pm
      Was anyone impressed with Quincy Promes at all? Would he be a good replacement for Sturridge if he goes?
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,333 posts | 3360 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #427: Dec 07, 2017 08:07:25 pm
      Was anyone impressed with Quincy Promes at all? Would he be a good replacement for Sturridge if he goes?

Much preferred quincy ME
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #428: Dec 07, 2017 09:26:26 pm

He's quality mate I rate him highly he's a winger though so would be competing with Mane and Mo for a spot. He's probably a notch below on current form.
      redtiler
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,101 posts | 125 
      Reply #429: Dec 07, 2017 11:05:18 pm
        xxxxx:action-smiley-065:
      We'll get by with a little help from our friends ;D

We love you yeah yeah etc   xxxxx:action-smiley-065:
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #430: Dec 08, 2017 12:54:56 am

He got ushered out wide and kept his head down a lot when he had the ball. Worrying sign for me, especially against our defence.

Still watching the highlights. Outstanding!
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,578 posts | 3825 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #431: Dec 08, 2017 11:33:32 am
      Yeah was going to pick Couts but in the end plumped for Bobby, his assist for Couts for the second goal was pure composure, I love the way he picks a man out and not just crossing the ball blind and of course his work rate and goal sealed it for me. A quick word for Klavan also who made two great blocks and was steady as a rock. Overall a great team performance.

Tough to pick a player of the season so far, between Salah & Firmino.
      I know Salah is breaking all the records going at the moment,
      but the work that Firmino puts in to create space for Mane & Salah is phenomenal,
      and he's putting in the goals and assists, despite criticism to the contrary.

Quick Reply