Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Premier League to offer more televised games

Read 5688 times
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Premier League to offer more televised games
      Dec 08, 2017 10:40:01 am
      Premier League announcement due today on plans for 2019 and beyond.

Expected that not only will the number of televised games be increased - probably so that for the first time more than 50% of games are televised in the UK but also the introduction of Saturday 8pm kick offs.

It looks like the bubble will continue at least into the next 3 year period!
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Re: Premier League to offer more televised games
      Reply #1: Dec 08, 2017 10:41:53 am
      It can be revealed that the league will make 200 of its 380 matches a year available, 42 more than at present, with three rounds of midweek and one of Bank Holiday games accounting for all but two of the additional fixtures.

3 midweeks where all games are televised and one Bank Holiday where all games are televised.

Premier League TV deal 2019-22 | The seven packages available
      Package A
      32 matches - Saturday 12.30pm

Package B
      32 matches - Saturday 5.30pm

Package C
      24 matches - Sunday 2pm. 8 matches - Saturday 7.45pm

Package D
      32 matches - Sunday 4.30pm

Package E
      24 matches - Monday 8pm or Friday 7.30-8pm. 8 matches - Sunday 2pm

Package F
      All 20 matches - from one Bank Holiday and one midweek fixture programme

Package G
      All 20 matches - from two midweek fixture programmes
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #2: Jan 03, 2018 07:52:16 am
      When the UK leaves the EU, it will be interesting to see if EU rules that state that no one broadcaster can be awarded every live rights package, will still apply. Or will Sky just gobble up every package going, as they used to until 2007, when the Brussels ruling was activated, and their "Premier Plus" was consigned to history.

I like the Saturday 8pm games. Unfortunately there's just 8 games going, but it will finally bring the EPL somewhat  into line with the timing of games in other countries.
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #3: Feb 11, 2018 10:59:41 pm
      Apparantly the rights packages are being announced in the coming days. More matches, more money, more fixture changes. It's a long way from 3.30pm a couple of Sunday's a year on ITV. 
      IrishRed_IO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,479 posts | 342 
      • Formerly InertObject
      Reply #4: Feb 13, 2018 11:47:12 am
      This is due to be announced later today supposedly.

Talk of Amazon bidding etc.

Be interesting to see what BT do to be honest, they came out and said they always have a plan B if they don't get exactly what they wanted.
      IrishRed_IO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,479 posts | 342 
      • Formerly InertObject
      Reply #5: Feb 13, 2018 07:52:33 pm
      So sky have 128 games including the Saturday night kickoffs and BT have 32 games.

Sky Sports and BT have agreed to pay £4.464bn to show 160 Premier League games a season from 2019/20 until 2021/22

The broadcasters are splashing out less than last time, when they paid a total of £5.136bn for 168 games.

Sky, the owner of Sky News, will show 128 matches per season, two more than under the last deal while BT will screen 32 games, down from 42 in the previous arrangement.

However under the latest expanded deal, which in total offers 200 games for broadcast, there are still two packages of 20 fixtures a season each on the table - and "interest from multiple bidders", according to the Premier League.

On average, the price per game under the newly agreed deal is about £9.3m - less than the average £10.2m last time, though each of the seven "packages" of rights will carry a different value depending on when they are screened.

Sky is paying 16% less per match and its deal will mean it has every "first-pick" weekend fixture, plus Saturday evening matches for the first time.

It is paying £1.193bn per season under the terms of the new deal, down £199m from last time.

The remaining as-yet unsold 40 games per season can only go to others who have already been part of the bidding process. No single buyer can hold more than 148 of the 200 matches available.

Premier League executive chairman Richard Scudamore said: "We are extremely pleased that BT and Sky continue to view the Premier League and our clubs as such an important part of their offering.

"We will now continue the sales process to deliver the best possible outcome for the remaining packages of rights in the UK and throughout the rest of the world."

Barney Francis, managing director of Sky Sports, said: "Sky Sports customers will continue to enjoy unrivalled Premier League coverage through to 2022 with 128 live matches a season from next year - more than ever before - including the key head to heads in the best slots."

Stephen van Rooyen, Sky's UK chief executive, said: "We continue to invest in content that our customers value and which complements our strategy to broaden our offer."

BT is paying £295m a season for 32 games, down from £320m before when it had more matches.

Marc Allera, chief executive of BT's consumer division, said: "The Premier League is undoubtedly the most competitive and exciting domestic league in the world, so we're delighted that our customers will be able to continue enjoying Saturday games on BT Sport."

https://news.sky.com/story/sky-and-bt-in-new-446bn-premier-league-deal-11249236

JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #6: Feb 13, 2018 08:30:58 pm
      Not necessarily the bubble popping, but it's almost certainly hit its peak now.

Not surprised they've had the most trouble shifting the full round packages.

Sky and BT have paid an average of £9.3M per game from 2019 which is almost £1M per game less than the £10.2M for 2016-19 deal.

Be interesting to see who picks up the extra games now.  I think it'll still top the figure from last time around but averaging less per game.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #7: Feb 13, 2018 08:34:33 pm

Sky and BT have paid an average of £9.3M per game from 2019 which is almost £1M per game less than the £10.2M for 2016-19 deal.

Be interesting to see who picks up the extra games now.  I think it'll still top the figure from last time around but averaging less per game.

I wonder if Twitter/Facebook and Amazon/Netflix are in for the extra games?
      IrishRed_IO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,479 posts | 342 
      • Formerly InertObject
      Reply #8: Feb 13, 2018 08:36:37 pm

Possibly Amazon or Facebook has been suggested. The latter bid 600 odd million for the IPL cricket and didn’t win with the bid.

It certainly will be interesting. Trying to figure out what Amazon would do with it though. Pay your prime sub and then also a bolt on fee for the games they have?  Indicates to me that BT will aim to keep the CL and EL and continue to chip away at some of the other sports that Sky have such as cricket and golf and tennis.
      JC16
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 861 posts | 86 
      Reply #9: Feb 13, 2018 08:42:31 pm
      Hang on.  Every match is not available to you in England already?

I pay $5.00 per month for a sports package that gets me every Premier League game. 

Also includes NHL , MLB, NBA (which I could care less about). College football, lacrosse, basketball.

I also have a channel devoted to cricket.

Wow.  You guys really get hosed over there.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #10: Feb 13, 2018 08:54:28 pm
      Hang on.  Every match is not available to you in England already?

For paying TV subscribers? No.  Although let's face it with 200 out of 380 games - there won't be many LFC games not on.  Saturday 3pm kick offs are the ones not televised here - and we don't play at that time too often these days!

I pay $5.00 per month for a sports package that gets me every Premier League game.

Yeah.  They're the stations we probably watch our 'non-televised' games on. ;) All hail the internet!
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #11: Feb 13, 2018 10:43:01 pm
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #12: Feb 14, 2018 01:24:12 am

That's so fu**ed up. So it's gonna cost even more to watch football..... F***ing greedy pricks.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #13: Feb 14, 2018 08:44:04 am

It is a joke to be fair. End of the day it isn’t the bubble bursting at all.

If amazon do get it, it better come part of Prime and not cost extra because it’ll just become ridiculous. I already pay £130+ on month on F***ing telly.
      Jimsouse67
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,275 posts | 1436 
      Reply #14: Feb 14, 2018 08:57:47 am
      It is a joke to be fair. End of the day it isn’t the bubble bursting at all.

If amazon do get it, it better come part of Prime and not cost extra because it’ll just become ridiculous. I already pay £130+ on month on f**king telly.
      Pay a sub for both prime & Netflix myself so if either of those pick up the slack ( my guess would be amazon) & it's affordable I'll deffo take a punt
      But it will depend on price ,£130+ is a lot of wedge mate.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #15: Feb 14, 2018 09:41:11 am
      Pay a sub for both prime & Netflix myself so if either of those pick up the slack ( my guess would be amazon) & it's affordable I'll deffo take a punt

To be fair that’s my broadband included but still...
      ed603em
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 727 posts | 111 
      Reply #16: Feb 14, 2018 10:25:10 am
      The bubble is going to burst. Fewer people are already signing up for TV Subscriptions because they can see that it is being spent on these ridiculous sums of money. Across the country, we are seeing more and more people living in poverty. Local councils are on their back and are having to raise council tax to stop the whole system of local government from imploding. We are heading towards a repeat of what happened with Setanta Sports: TV Companies will continue to put up prices and people will simply not be able to afford them. TV Companies will collapse and many Premier League clubs will too as they will have budgeted for money that isn't coming.
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,937 posts | 502 
      Reply #17: Feb 14, 2018 10:55:21 am
      If enough people had said no to Sky when they first started this subscription model back in the 90s we'd all be getting live footy for free on BBC and ITV. But there were enough "got to have the latest thing" dickheads to make the subscription model profitable enough to outbid the free to air alternatives, and now it costs a feckin fortune just to watch a bit of football on the telly.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #18: Feb 14, 2018 12:04:40 pm
      Still think theres more mileage in the premier league cash cow yet.

molbys belly
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,537 posts | 123 
      Reply #19: Feb 14, 2018 12:04:41 pm
      Bunch of absolute cu*ts
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #20: Feb 14, 2018 12:26:59 pm

I've only just got into Netflix and compared to Sky its fantastic value for money, £8 per month for a shitload of boxsets and films. I reckon in about 10 years all TV will be via the Internet into the TV and you'll be able to see what you want when you want including live games.
      Jimsouse67
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,275 posts | 1436 
      Reply #21: Feb 14, 2018 02:28:12 pm
      I've only just got into Netflix and compared to Sky its fantastic value for money, £8 per month for a shitload of boxsets and films. I reckon in about 10 years all TV will be via the Internet into the TV and you'll be able to see what you want when you want including live games.
      The amount of content you get for your money is fantastic as you say,I
      Binned sky many years ago and did toy with the idea of going back but I just couldn't justify it & as you say regarding tv via internet / on demand it will become the norm.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #22: Feb 14, 2018 04:15:43 pm
      If enough people had said no to Sky when they first started this subscription model back in the 90s we'd all be getting live footy for free on BBC and ITV. But there were enough "got to have the latest thing" dickheads to make the subscription model profitable enough to outbid the free to air alternatives, and now it costs a feckin fortune just to watch a bit of football on the telly.

Instead of blaming people why not go a little bit further back and blame that tw*t Alan Sugar, he definitely dropped some inside info to sky   executives to up their bid which eventually blew ITV away. Conveniently sky winning the bid also helped him shift a load of his sh*te satellite dishes.

Quick Reply