Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Everton?

Simon Mignolet
      0 (0%)
      Joe Gomez
      33 (39.8%)
      Dejan Lovren
      3 (3.6%)
      Ragnar Klavan
      0 (0%)
      Andy Robertson
      3 (3.6%)
      Jordan Henderson
      3 (3.6%)
      James Milner
      0 (0%)
      Alex Ox Chamberlain
      5 (6%)
      Dominic Solanke
      0 (0%)
      Mo Salah
      34 (41%)
      Sadio Mane
      1 (1.2%)
      Danny Ings
      1 (1.2%)
      Bobby Firmino
      0 (0%)
      Phil Coutinho
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 81

Voting closed: Dec 14, 2017 04:33:41 pm

Liverpool 1-1 Neverton: In game and Post Match debate

Read 30895 times
      Danzel
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,305 posts | 1113 
      Re: Liverpool 1-1 Neverton: In game and Post Match debate
      Reply #667: Dec 10, 2017 09:45:45 pm
      Fuming at the ref for the penno decision, ridiculously soft and the reaction of our lads when he gave it then again at full-time says it all. It was a shocker.

Also pissed at Klopp. Bonkers not playing Coutinho in this game. Fat Sam had a week to prepare, he is a terrific organiser of a defence and it was absolutely paramount that we had a player to make things happen between the lines. We've only got two players who ca do that. One is injured and the other is Coutinho. Dropping him played right into their tactics.

It's a missed opportunity but we keep moving forward and a win mid-week would still have us sitting in a good place. We've gained a point on the mancs and chavs, parity with the gooners and the spuds have closed the gap on us. Could be worse but should be better.

Remember pretty early during the Spartak game where Coutinho wanted to take the shot outside the box, it got kind of blocked and he hurt his ankle in the process? Took him quite a few minutes to walk it off.

He wasn't fully fit for this game because of that ankle injury. I'm almost 100% sure he'd have started the game if he had been fully fit. He has played the least I think out of our front four so there wouldn't have been the need to rotate him.

Agreed with regards to the penalty decision and it being a missed opportunity.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #668: Dec 10, 2017 09:58:47 pm
      If Lovren hadn't of missed the header, a header any CB should be making with ease, then he wouldn't have put himself in the position of giving away a penalty in the first place. The ones that are saying it shouldn't have been a penalty, maybe start taking at look at how he got in that position to begin with. Either way, he has massively fu**ed up, again.

This.
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #669: Dec 10, 2017 10:42:00 pm
      only saw the highlights. From those (10minutes) it didn't look like Everton were playing. Even with a bus parked in the 18 they were cut open time and time again. Never a penalty. I don't know what more Klopp could have done?
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #670: Dec 10, 2017 11:01:22 pm
      Remember pretty early during the Spartak game where Coutinho wanted to take the shot outside the box, it got kind of blocked and he hurt his ankle in the process? Took him quite a few minutes to walk it off.

He wasn't fully fit for this game because of that ankle injury. I'm almost 100% sure he'd have started the game if he had been fully fit. He has played the least I think out of our front four so there wouldn't have been the need to rotate him.

Agreed with regards to the penalty decision and it being a missed opportunity.

Then you start him and take him off early. Or sub him on early enough to make a difference. Klopp did neither.

On a side note, Milner and Henderson in the same team doesn't work. How many times does it not have to work before Klopp stops doing it?
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #671: Dec 10, 2017 11:02:01 pm
      The last two pens we have given away by the way have been so harsh. No wonder Klopp is pissed off
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #672: Dec 10, 2017 11:11:54 pm
      Coutinho came in to the match with a knock it warrants Klopp's decision not to pick him.

My biggest gripe with regards to the game management was removing Salah so early everything we did in that second half was through him and down the right. That Martina bloke shat himself any time Salah got close to him with the ball, now understand that we play another game in a couple of days and Mo has had a lot of minutes however would have seen us keep him on for another 15 and get a second which looked inevitable whilst he was on.

Besides that I  can't fault Klopp much I thought we were well in control with a side consisting of second string or squad players (Klavan, Milner, Solanke, Gomez, Ox) not surprised by Everton's approach either that is what Fat Sam and that petty little club is all about.
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,111 posts | 896 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #673: Dec 10, 2017 11:33:45 pm
      Why blame mane he has fullfilled his comitment mistake yes but loveren dose it time and time again just like the keeper
      lreland
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,360 posts | 116 
      Reply #674: Dec 10, 2017 11:41:09 pm
      Say again these team play so much better with out Henderson and we do need other top forward when bobby not playing anyhow we still in top 4 other home game come up and other teams drop points city have league won win today not going win league we in champion league draw tommory F**k you bitters
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #675: Dec 10, 2017 11:46:53 pm
      Just finished watching.

Never a pen in a million years. One of the worst refs in the league (in the world?) and I cringe when I see him assigned to our game. He’s a soft turd of a man that allows himself to be influenced by players and the crowd.

That said, Lovren should have never let his man get in that position to start with.

We had plenty of firepower to win that game and to be fair, Mane should have gone off instead of Salah and Firmino should probably have started. What a wasteful and stupid decision to not pass that ball right before half. Was a sure goal. Would have looked great had we pulled it out, but drawing at home to a team that’s so weak as that Everton squad is pretty depressing.

Anti-football wins again for some reason. We need video review for penalty decisions. Stupid to drop points because of an incompetent ref.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #676: Dec 11, 2017 12:09:01 am
      Just finished watching.

Never a pen in a million years. One of the worst refs in the league (in the world?) and I cringe when I see him assigned to our game. He’s a soft turd of a man that allows himself to be influenced by players and the crowd.

That said, Lovren should have never let his man get in that position to start with.

We had plenty of firepower to win that game and to be fair, Mane should have gone off instead of Salah and Firmino should probably have started. What a wasteful and stupid decision to not pass that ball right before half. Was a sure goal. Would have looked great had we pulled it out, but drawing at home to a team that’s so weak as that Everton squad is pretty depressing.

Anti-football wins again for some reason. We need video review for penalty decisions. Stupid to drop points because of an incompetent ref.

Agree with your post but I don't think we played well anyway and we weren't exactly worthy of three points. What did Pickford have to do? F**k all.

But back to the penalty decision. It seems you and I are in the minority when it comes to saying it's NOT a penalty. Most people on here from what I've read seem to think it was.

What I don't understand is, if that's a penalty in modern day football, then how come for example, when a player dribbles to the corner flag at the end of a match when his team is winning to waste time and wind down the clock, when he puts his foot on the ball and uses his arms and hands to shield it away from the opposition, as soon as he touches the opposition, why is it not an instant foul then?

It's exactly the same thing.

You aren't allowed to make any contact whatsoever in the box even if it's so minimal, but you're allowed to basically play WWF at the corner flag if you want too?

It's bullshit.

But yeah, 100% agree, never a penalty in a million years. One of the softest pens I've ever seen given watching football.
      alsmal
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,521 posts | 33 
      • Right or wrong, its MY opinion.
      Reply #677: Dec 11, 2017 12:29:52 am
      Just watched MOTD2 and I’ve changed my mind about the pen decision - it is a pen albeit a very soft one. If a defender puts his hands on a player and pushes him and he goes down in the area it’s a pen.
      If it was the other way and Bobby went down we’d be screaming it was a pen all day long.
      But as it goes it’s small potatoes, we knew the bus was coming and there it was for all to see, parked up as predicted.
      We had chances to win but we didn’t take them. To be honest our defence wasn’t really tested but when it did it failed. Surely the Lovren experiment has to end now. Get Matip fit and Gomez along side him until January when we can get a proven CB in. Because we aren’t winning jack because we have to score at least 3 goals to win a game. And as we’ve seen today, we don’t always score 3 goals.....
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #678: Dec 11, 2017 01:01:54 am
      I've watched it a million times now and I'm not having it that it's a penalty. It is so, so soft.

Lets flip it. Let's say the ball was played into DCLs feet and he has his back to goal with Lovren standing behind him. As a centre forward you're going to use your body and your arms to shield the ball from the defender. DCL will probably have one hand on lovrens chest while he controls the ball to keep him away at arms length. It's just standard, good centre forward play. You see it every week.

Now if Lovren went down rolling around on the floor as soon as DCL touches him, would the ref blow up for a foul? No, would he f**k.

It's the same thing here. There is some contact yes but it's so minimal and it's so light. It's not a penalty.

PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #679: Dec 11, 2017 01:01:58 am
      Just watched MOTD2 and I’ve changed my mind about the pen decision - it is a pen albeit a very soft one. If a defender puts his hands on a player and pushes him and he goes down in the area it’s a pen.

Idk , if that's a pen, we'll be seeing at least 2 pens a match.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #680: Dec 11, 2017 01:13:16 am
      Idk , if that's a pen, we'll be seeing at least 2 pens a match.

If that was a foul then Salah’s goal shouldn’t have counted because he did worse to the defender to win the ball in the box.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #681: Dec 11, 2017 01:25:03 am
      I've watched it a million times now and I'm not having it that it's a penalty. It is so, so soft.

It is most definitely a soft penalty - absolutely no doubt about it.  But it is a penalty nonetheless because Lovren did, needlessly, push him over.

This is probably as close to the refs view as the cameras got it.

https://twitter.com/MHChehade/status/939888584903024640
      hoganov
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,709 posts | 162 
      Reply #682: Dec 11, 2017 01:31:08 am
      With some time to reflect, why was Firmino not in the starting 11. I love to see young players getting their chance and we criticise other managers for not doing so but Solanke had no business being on that pitch. I thought Hendo and Milner did a good job in midfield and I think Jürgen got his tactics right but he didn’t get the personal right. Phil scored a f***in hat trick midweek why was the man not starting. Penalty decision...no penalty. In my opinion Lewin reacted to Lovrens approach and in my eyes it was a dive, simple as. That same challenge in the middle of the park would have been ignored.

I’m gutted with this result with all our rivals dropping points only to be let down with a weak refereeing decision. I’m hoping Klopp has a word with Sadio about his decision making. The game was there for the taking and we blew it. I’m going to open another bottle of wine😩
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #683: Dec 11, 2017 01:47:26 am
      To put into context there was more contact from Lovren with that push then Henderson made against Brighton and both were given.

PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #684: Dec 11, 2017 01:50:57 am
      If that was a foul then Salah’s goal shouldn’t have counted because he did worse to the defender to win the ball in the box.

Oh sh*t, yeah, you are right! What a f**king joke.

There was another incident I remember after the goal, we attacked on the right, Gomez/Ox crossed and Solanke was pushed just before his flick on which ended wide for a goal kick.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #685: Dec 11, 2017 01:55:26 am
      Oh sh*t, yeah, you are right! What a f**king joke.

There was another incident I remember after the goal, we attacked on the right, Gomez/Ox crossed and Solanke was pushed just before his flick on which ended wide for a goal kick.

I’d be happy if the calls were just consistent. If you are going to call something a foul, then call it no matter where it happens. At least let the players adjust to how they are going to be called.
      hoganov
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,709 posts | 162 
      Reply #686: Dec 11, 2017 02:33:49 am
      The more I watch it it’s never a penalty. Lewin has basically conned the ref. He basically jumps into Lovrens path and goes to ground. The only gripe I have is that space should have been covered.
      redkop63

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #687: Dec 11, 2017 05:26:18 am
      It is 2 games in a row we got soft penalties against us. We have softies referees that must toughen up otherwise we better off watching netball.

Solanke for his size must bully defenders and not being bullied.

Collectively, we have to protest strongly against such controversial and not allow the referee to walk all over us.

Hendo must do much much more and not just keeping silent. Must start showing leadership on the pitch. Lucas would have done a proper job.

If we had protested strongly and make a scene it may affect shriek's confidence in the penalty kick. We are simply too nice and naive.
      DanMann

• 5,635 posts | 866 
      Reply #688: Dec 11, 2017 07:23:47 am

What is clear there is the movement into Lovren. Not a push from Lovren.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #689: Dec 11, 2017 07:59:16 am
      It is most definitely a soft penalty - absolutely no doubt about it.  But it is a penalty nonetheless because Lovren did, needlessly, push him over.

This is probably as close to the refs view as the cameras got it.

https://twitter.com/MHChehade/status/939888584903024640

If that's a penalty then football is dead.

It always boils down to opinion but that isn't a shove or a push in my eyes. It's a blatant dive.

I hate this saying in football that's creeped in over the last few years that the player 'has the right' to go down. That only applies to me when they have been blatantly tripped and they're stumbling trying to remain on their feet. That yesterday was just a joke though.

If that happens in the street does DCL fall on the floor rolling around? No.

There is some very slight contact yes but it's supposed to be a contact sport. It was obvious that DCL was looking for the penalty and the ref should be seeing straight through that.

As I said, if it was the other way round and DCL used his arm to shield Lovren away and if Lovren fell to the floor then it wouldn't be a foul. So why is it a foul when it happens to the attacker?

Quick Reply