Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v West Brom?

Loris Karius
      22 (34.9%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      16 (25.4%)
      Dejan Lovren
      2 (3.2%)
      Ragnar Klavan
      9 (14.3%)
      Andy Robertson
      5 (7.9%)
      Emre Can
      2 (3.2%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      0 (0%)
      Philippe Coutinho
      3 (4.8%)
      Roberto Firmino
      0 (0%)
      Sadio Mane
      0 (0%)
      Mohammed Salah
      2 (3.2%)
      Joe Gomez
      1 (1.6%)
      Dominic Solanke
      0 (0%)
      Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain
      1 (1.6%)

Total Members Voted: 61

Voting closed: Dec 17, 2017 09:54:22 pm

Liverpool 0-0 West Bromwich Albion: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 22733 times
      Harrisimo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,970 posts | 1356 
      Re: Liverpool 0-0 West Bromwich Albion: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #414: Dec 13, 2017 10:37:42 pm
      Plan worked at home v huddersfield and Southampton

Over rotation can lead to these dead/alive type performances. Klopp has to try and avoid over emphasising the physicality and pace of the Prem. Yes pacy players can strain Hamstrings if they play when they are a bit tired. But don't over do it or you will lose momentum, continuity and fluidity.

Spluttering performances can drain the confidence of the highly strung flair players. Mane is struggling a bit because of it, although if he scores against Everton it all changes.

Henderson played well against everton, yes I know he gets stick but I'll discount that for obvious reasons, and should of played tonight. Can is better when he has a solid midfield pro like Hendo holding things together. If can is played as the main man he can't dictate or marshall the troops, he's just not disciplined enough.

But still the line up should of been enough but if they are off blob, little bits being wrong can influence the result.
      Pippen
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 692 posts | 46 
      Reply #415: Dec 13, 2017 10:40:47 pm
      Also Mané seems kind of in a slump.
      Court LFC

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #416: Dec 13, 2017 10:40:48 pm
      Give us an opportunity to gain ground on the teams above us and around, we're bound to F**k it up always.

Just simply not good enough, but not helpful when teams come here to defend for 90 mins.
      RobieSlick
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,758 posts | 259 
      Reply #417: Dec 13, 2017 10:43:29 pm

Mane is finding it difficult to live in the shadow of Salah. He is trying to hard. Last year he was toast of Merseyside. 
      Scottbot

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #418: Dec 13, 2017 10:44:01 pm
      Fair point.  Thought TAA had played well and had been much more likely to supply the assist than Robertson on the other side.

To be fair to Gomez he almost provided the cross for the winning goal.

I though both full backs should have put in more crosses, TAA had a couple of decent ones in the first half but stopped in the 2nd half and Robertson was poor, electing to simply play the easy 5 yard ball inside (ala Moreno) to Coutinho time and time again. He has got a sweet left foot but it was like he was afraid to use it tonight.
      Scottbot

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #419: Dec 13, 2017 10:45:21 pm
      It will be like this the rest of the way in I think, it's a straight battle between us, Spuds, Gooners and the Chavs for the 3rd and 4th spot in the league. Least the gooners drew again tonight.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #420: Dec 13, 2017 10:46:01 pm

Yeah, that's a worry. He doesn't seem the same since coming back from injury.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #421: Dec 13, 2017 10:47:51 pm
      Missed the match and no matter what that's sh*te to be drawing at home to WBA.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Reply #422: Dec 13, 2017 10:55:30 pm
      Can’t be arsed with motd. All our competitors in cruise control, and we F**k up wholesale, twice in the space of 4 days.
       Don’t know about defenders, we need a new midfield with players with attacking flair.
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,088 posts | 1046 
      Reply #423: Dec 13, 2017 11:20:45 pm
      What a crappy couple of days. How that attack musters one goal against those two back lines is beyond me. Two things really stand out to me.

1. Mane is playing poorly. Maybe the rumors about of animosity toward the Salah love is true? Never seen him play for himself this much until the last few weeks. I’m probably wrong, let’s hope I am.

2. Can and Gini playing together almost always ends up like this. 9 Times out of 10 our midfield turns in a stagnant performance when they play together.
      Scottbot

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #424: Dec 13, 2017 11:40:25 pm
      What a crappy couple of days. How that attack musters one goal against those two back lines is beyond me. Two things really stand out to me.

2. Can and Gini playing together almost always ends up like this. 9 Times out of 10 our midfield turns in a stagnant performance when they play together.

7I see where your coming from but we did score 7 the last time they were partnered up in there and then when Hendo and Milner came in for the derby this place went totally mental!

I don't really think the two lads in the middle of the park are the big issue in a game like tonight. You've got Salah, Coutinho, Mane and Firmino playing in front of them and two full-backs who are asked to provide most of the width. The role of Gini/Can tonight was to break to protect the back four when we're caught on the break and when we've got the ball, simply to keep recycling it and keep it moving which for the most part is what they did. We can say we want them to surge forward, break lines and make things happen in that respect but our forwards play so narrow so there really isn't much space for them to bust into without stepping on the toes of Coutinho, Salah and Bobby.

It's in wide areas where we were poor today, for 90 minutes we tried to thread the needle but they were very well organised, disciplined and in Evans they had the games best performer (he was excellent). We should have got it wide, worked some overlaps and overloads and tried to make things happen from there. I would have switched Mane and Salah and asked them to play high and wide, make the pitch bigger and make it to the byline a few times.
      6stringer
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,051 posts | 517 
      Reply #425: Dec 13, 2017 11:41:04 pm
      Pissed off, Angry, Frustrated, Confused and painful to watch. :mad:
      We really have lost our Mojo.
      Two points out of six at home against Everton and West Brom !!?!....Not good enough I'm afraid..

Pardew took the piss tonight, he knows us inside out and once again he set his side up for the draw, just like he's done with Palace, West Ham, Newcastle and now West F***ing Brom !!
      We, or rather Jürgen, just didn't see it coming..just like he didn't see fat sam coming on Sunday..

Oh and Mane needs a kick up the arse, he was sh*t tonight.

:f_steam:

HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #426: Dec 13, 2017 11:42:08 pm
      Just got in, was high up in the kop today, seen no highlights or replays so giving my opinions on what i thought and saw from where I was.

Firstly I was very happy with the starting 11. Thought it was strange that he went with the Fab Four today and not on Sunday though.

Game kicks off and from what I can work out WBA are playing a 4-1-4-1. They are sat very, very deep and it was obvious five minutes in what sort of game we were in for.

The football we played was again slow and it was again very predictable. I've  criticised Henderson so much over the past few months but I thought both Wijnaldum and Can were passengers today. We badly lacked a CM on the pitch.

WBA kept their shape very well to be fair to them and they weren't interested in attacking just like Everton weren't. Whenever any of the Fab Four touched the ball they doubled up on them and made it very difficult.

I thought we played far too narrow and even though Trent and Robertson offered support at times, salah and Mane should have drifted out wide more.

First half we had a couple of half chances. Firmino should have scored even though his chance was in a very tight position. Trent also whipped in a great cross or two that we should have made more of.

They hit the bar in the first half though. Foster comes into our half to take a free kick for them. The ball ends up in karius's arms and the whole ground is screaming for him to launch the ball because foster is miles out his goal, but instead he rolls it five yards to can. Can try's to take a few on but gets tackled. Eventually the all falls to their lad outside the box who placed his curling shot that looked like it was going in the top bin. Karius is scrambling but luckily it hit the bar and went out for a goal kick.

Very boring half. Dog sh*t actually.

Second half was pretty much the same. First five minutes they had a couple of really good chances from set pieces. Then it was all us but we just couldn't break them down. We had a few good half chances and salah should have scored from yet another great all from Trent but he somehow put his header wide. We also had a goal disallowed but to be fair it looked like a clear handball from where I was.

I was disappointed klopp didn't change anything really and we had no plan B. He did bring the ox and solanke on but our style etc didn't change in any way. With big Dom on maybe we should have gone route 1 and played a few long balls or put some high crosses into the box.

Karius - had a couple of jittery moments and was slow in distribution at times. However, he made a couple of excellent saves too.

TAA - my motm. Best player on the pitch for me. Put some beautiful crosses into the box and supported the attack well. He also defended superbly too.

Klavan - I thought he did very well, one of the best games I've seen him play to be honest

Lovren - yeah he did ok, didn't have that much to do

Robertson - defended ok but his attacking side wasn't great today. This is partly because the man infront of him was absolutely awful perhaps so he had no link up play. When I've seen Robertson previously he's put in lots of dangerous crosses but none of that today.

Wijnaldum - passenger

Can - passenger but worse. Constantly gives stupid fouls away when he doesn't need too. The opposition are boxed in, they're going nowhere, there is no reason to foul them and give them a free kick but this dope constantly does it. Gets booked for repeated fouling and then moans to the ref.

Mane - worst player on the pitch. Everything he touched went to sh*t. Really struggling for form at the moment.

Coutinho - huffed and puffed a little bit. Got on the ball as much as he could and he was trying his best to create something but didn't come off.

Salah - quiet today. WBA did their homework and really doubled up on him the second he touched the ball.

Firmino - had a few half chances but wasn't his day.

Ox - did well when he came on I thought offered us a bit of a spark and he had a shot or two.

Solanke - goal disallowed but it was handball in my opinion. Did little else because he had no service.

One last thing, the ref was a c**t. Gave so many soft fouls for them that broke the play up and he never got a grip of their time wasting. What's worse, when our players were hacked etc he gave us F**k all! Horrible manc.

Disappointing night for the reds, two points dropped.

Pippen
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 692 posts | 46 
      Reply #427: Dec 13, 2017 11:45:34 pm
      Did Mané play at the same position last year or got he moved because of Salah? Because to me he looks a little bit "misplaced" and not comfortable.
      6stringer
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,051 posts | 517 
      Reply #428: Dec 13, 2017 11:51:32 pm
      Did Mané play at the same position last year or got he moved because of Salah? Because to me he looks a little bit "misplaced" and not comfortable.

One minute he's on the left wing, next he's on the right.. which is fine if your front three are fluent enough to pass and move quickly enough but he let the side down tonight, pissing about when he got the ball and not releasing the trigger when it was needed..
      He's a striker FFS....when you get the ball on the edge of the box...SHOOT !
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #429: Dec 14, 2017 12:02:05 am
      Also. Whoever their substitute was at the end of the game who was 'warming up' in stoppage time, who grabbed hold of the ball and wouldn't give it to us when it was our throw in can F**k off too.

The referee booked him but I hope the FA step in and ban the c**t. WBA should be fined or something too.

It's bad enough players on the pitch doing it but that was just taking the piss.
      wellbuilt
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,154 posts | 138 
      Reply #430: Dec 14, 2017 01:15:34 am
      what a shower of sh*t

no fluidity, slow, same old sh*t lots have mentioned time and time again

so frustrating
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #431: Dec 14, 2017 02:54:36 am
      Yeah, I was hopeful every time he was on the ball, but whenever Can or Gini had it I kinda went to sleep until the moved it along. We've got serious problems in there and they're being masked by our front lads.

Been saying that for a while
      Ebieahi
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 382 posts | 45 
      Reply #432: Dec 14, 2017 07:03:22 am
      Our problem against the bus parkers stem from our inability to move the ball quicker.
      There is no doubt that that same team of players would easily have beaten both Everton and West Brom at home if they were able to speed up the transition in their play. It is just too much side ways and backward and teams have figured out to play with deep banks of 4 and simply put pressure on our wingbacks in order to force everything inside.

I was very surprised to see that neither Coutinho, Mane or Firmino took more shots from outside the box and instead persisted in playing hopeful balls through. Its often the lucky deflected shot or some aerial dual, that wins these games.

Our attackers would also benefit so much more from a quicker transition of the ball from back to front.

Im happy with the clean sheet, not happy with the general play last night though.
      On to the next one, which i expect us to win since Bournemouth dont play with the same physicality nor tactical discipline as West Brom.
      Next one on the radar to watch out for would be Burnley, they will be tough.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #433: Dec 14, 2017 07:07:41 am
      West Brom had 7 corners to our 4, they had 2 shots on target to our 5 but both had Karius scrambling, I can't recall Foster being particularly troubled by any of our efforts, no great saves from him needed.

We had them pinned in their half for nearly the entire 2nd half bar the corner they had, three of which were in a row.

They simply did not outplay us. They defended well and a few nice counters, nothing else. We deserved the win
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #434: Dec 14, 2017 08:01:54 am
      Well I am so sad after another draw,both draws that we should of won but for bad refereeing decisions.Those F***ing refs have cost us 4 points.I thought Karius had an excellent game and think that the boss should of subbed Mane earlier than he did.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #435: Dec 14, 2017 08:12:10 am
      Can’t be arsed with motd. All our competitors in cruise control, and we F**k up wholesale, twice in the space of 4 days.

Yep and this week a few of them just grinded out the points. United with a Lukaku header, Spurs with a cross that sailed in.

We cant be at our best every time and it feels like a lot of them time that unless we smash teams for 4, 5 or 7 we aren't winning games.

The lack of 1 nils and 2-1s is catching up with us, and they are scorelines very rarely seen from us these days.

LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #436: Dec 14, 2017 08:46:47 am
      Feel so F***ing deflated this morning. Taken 2 steps back over the last two games.

Quick Reply