Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Burnley?

Simon Mignolet
      2 (1.7%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      2 (1.7%)
      Ragnar Klavan
      21 (17.9%)
      Dejan Lovren
      14 (12%)
      Joe Gomez
      1 (0.9%)
      Emre Can
      4 (3.4%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      0 (0%)
      Adam Lallana
      9 (7.7%)
      Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain
      55 (47%)
      Sadio Mane
      6 (5.1%)
      Dominic Solanke
      1 (0.9%)
      Roberto Firmino
      1 (0.9%)
      James Milner
      1 (0.9%)

Total Members Voted: 115

Voting closed: Jan 05, 2018 05:05:52 pm

Burnley 1-2 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 23532 times
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Re: Burnley 1-2 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #644: Jan 02, 2018 03:04:07 am

Soz. Wrote that as I was having a piss.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #645: Jan 02, 2018 06:47:03 am
      Saw the team and feared the worst. Not playing three of the Fab Four obviously puts a huge dent in our firepower and any creativity we have. I haven't been convinced by solanke from what I've seen so far and lallana is coming back from a lengthy lay off so I expected him to be quite rusty.

Before kick off I imagined a game where we would see a lot of the ball but look clueless in the final third. I didn't think we would break a very stubborn and organised Burnley side down. They're a direct team which we traditionally struggle against so I thought they would cause us all kinds of problems on set pieces etc. I had no confidence at all.

The game was dire in truth. The first half was one of the most boring games of football I've ever seen. It went as I thought really. We probably had more possession but we did very little with it. Both teams had a couple of half chances but nothing clear cut.

Second half begins and we upped the tempo very slightly but we weren't doing enough to create real chances. We needed a match winner. Somebody to create something out of nothing. Up you step sadio mane.

Mane might not be in the best of form right now (compared to his usual high standards) but what a F***ing goal. A decent enough ball in from Trent, which took a slight nick I think. One touch from mane, turn and then smash. Fantastic goal.

For the next fifteen or twenty minutes after that I thought we played well. We controlled the game, had bodies behind the ball, kept the ball well.

But 80 minutes onwards we allowed them to put a couple of crosses into the box and they sensed we weren't comfortable and that an equaliser could be on the cards. What's worse, our players knew it too - we've been here a million times before. It's a mental thing in my opinion that needs to be kicked out of our players heads once and for all.

Their goal came from a cross that we fail to deal with and the ball falls to an unmarked player at the back post. Piss poor school boy defending as usual.

I'll have to watch the replays so forgive me if my dislike for the lad is clouding my judgment here but I remember thinking at the time what the F**k is Mignolet doing.  As I said I could be wrong and I'll have to watch it again, but I thought Mignolet could have perhaps come for the cross to begin with but once he decided he was staying in his line then he should have anticipated what potentially could have happened (ball falling to unmarked lad back post) and therefore positioned himself better or organised his defence better maybe.

So 1-1 and I thought here we go again. Throwing 2 points away after we've worked hard for 90 minutes and took the lead without playing very well.

Luckily we got a set piece in the last minute of the game 30 yards out in a central position. Ox chips it in to the back post and there's big dejan who wins a great header and puts the ball across goal and then there's raggy who flys in throwing his body at the ball and wins us the game. Absolute scenes.

Made up for dejan who has come in for all kinds of criticism (from me more than most) so it was nice to see him have a great moment infront of the travelling kop who went mental.

Also made up for rag who has been brilliant for us the last few weeks in my opinion. He deserved that.

So to summarise, we didn't play well today but we got a very crucial three points away from home against a horrible, stubborn, physical, direct team. We were lucky in truth but it's about time we won ugly. Today wasn't about the performance considering we were missing so many big players - it was just about getting the points.

The boys did exceptionally well getting all 3 today and maybe I should have a bit more faith in them.

Great win reds well done.

RobieSlick
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,758 posts | 259 
      Reply #646: Jan 02, 2018 06:48:17 am
      F**k sake Liverpool - I had 1-1 in the Prediction League.

;)

GET IN THERE REDMEN!

I had 2-1 but stopped following as soon as it was 1-1. :(
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #647: Jan 02, 2018 07:07:44 am
      Slept on it now some time has passed and still buzzing with this win huge and all accounts in my books.

Those saying the game was dire clearly haven't followed or watched any of Burnleys football that is what they set out to do. They got results against the Chavs, United, Arse etc playing the same way. They were trounced by Spurs 3-0 having watched that gave they were no better in the final third then us last night in terms of chance creation etc they had Kane who took all three sniffs of the goal and converted.

6 in 48 hours against two solid teams makes up for some  points lost against the bitters and Chavs.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #648: Jan 02, 2018 07:29:27 am
      I only saw the second half, what a result and from 45 mins MOTM for me was Alex. However, Lovren, Klavan and Lallana were in the shout as well.

Can played well breaking their attack and bursting runs to their box.

Gomez, this is his second game in three where he lost track of the opponent player and scored from behind him. I'm not saying he should be dropped but he needs to improve on this. He was a huge player against Swansea.
      skamp
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 834 posts | 306 
      Re: LIVE: Burnley v Liverpool - January 1st - 15.00 GMT
      Reply #649: Jan 02, 2018 10:00:56 am
      0-0 at HT is okay but Klopp really needs to make a change at HT.
      It's what he will be judged on today.
      By who??!!! You??!!!!  I'll judge him on 16 games unbeaten with numerous changes most matches, over an extremely busy Christmas period.  Shown we can win ugly in tight affairs & come from behind.  Happy New Year!
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,321 posts | 1016 
      Reply #650: Jan 02, 2018 10:06:58 am
      You sound like a right Misery, dirty bird.
      I’d watch who you were calling a bird  :-\
      Kopite78
      Reply #651: Jan 02, 2018 10:41:33 am
      At least we aren't a "One Man Team" any more. We're  4 man team ;D

No... we're just a team now

Not that the moaning, negative section of our fan base would want us to be.
      They're probably the  ones who moaned that we relied too much on Stevie or Torres or Suarez.. but now we have depth and ability to rotate they complain still.

We are playing more as a 'team' than any time in the  last decade or more..  We  have quality throughout the squad, we dk t just rely on one or two players, which makes it far harder for teams to prepare for us.

We have now gone at 2pts a game for 60 games .... something we haven't done for longer than I care to remember.

Yet people still complain, that we aren't running players into the ground, yet they complained last January when the manager has little option than to do so.. they complain at starting 11s... they complain at players being rested when they don't  have the internal information the manager has.. They complain at substitutes.. They complain because the real world isn't like their fifa save..

Yet they fail to see that the manager is (and quite obviously to me) taking us forward.

Again let it sink  in. We have gone at 2pts a game for 60 games now.

We have taken 10 points out of 12 inside 10 days... it should have been 12 if not for the arsenal second half yet even in that we were the better side and showed unbelievable character to get a point having gone 3-2 down.. believe me not many side would have done.
      We have won at Burnley two days after another tough fixture. How many teams have won at Burnley this season? 1 other is it?

Honestly the glass is half full for these fans .. their lives must be hard work.

What a win yesterday, what an away end to be in.. these are days meant for being alive.. even if my head doesn't agree this morning.

Take city away, who have been unbelievable and also spend money we can only be envious of, take them away and we would be right in a title race. But just because you can't take them away doesnt mean we aren't going quickly in the right direction with Jürgen.

We are a sleeping giant, Jürgen is slowly talking in the giants ear and awakening him

We will win things under him, just enjoy it and stop looking for negativity in everything
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #652: Jan 02, 2018 10:43:48 am
      Saw the team and feared the worst. Not playing three of the Fab Four obviously puts a huge dent in our firepower and any creativity we have. I haven't been convinced by solanke from what I've seen so far and lallana is coming back from a lengthy lay off so I expected him to be quite rusty.

Before kick off I imagined a game where we would see a lot of the ball but look clueless in the final third. I didn't think we would break a very stubborn and organised Burnley side down. They're a direct team which we traditionally struggle against so I thought they would cause us all kinds of problems on set pieces etc. I had no confidence at all.

The game was dire in truth. The first half was one of the most boring games of football I've ever seen. It went as I thought really. We probably had more possession but we did very little with it. Both teams had a couple of half chances but nothing clear cut.

Second half begins and we upped the tempo very slightly but we weren't doing enough to create real chances. We needed a match winner. Somebody to create something out of nothing. Up you step sadio mane.

Mane might not be in the best of form right now (compared to his usual high standards) but what a f**king goal. A decent enough ball in from Trent, which took a slight nick I think. One touch from mane, turn and then smash. Fantastic goal.

For the next fifteen or twenty minutes after that I thought we played well. We controlled the game, had bodies behind the ball, kept the ball well.

But 80 minutes onwards we allowed them to put a couple of crosses into the box and they sensed we weren't comfortable and that an equaliser could be on the cards. What's worse, our players knew it too - we've been here a million times before. It's a mental thing in my opinion that needs to be kicked out of our players heads once and for all.

Their goal came from a cross that we fail to deal with and the ball falls to an unmarked player at the back post. Piss poor school boy defending as usual.

I'll have to watch the replays so forgive me if my dislike for the lad is clouding my judgment here but I remember thinking at the time what the f**k is Mignolet doing.  As I said I could be wrong and I'll have to watch it again, but I thought Mignolet could have perhaps come for the cross to begin with but once he decided he was staying in his line then he should have anticipated what potentially could have happened (ball falling to unmarked lad back post) and therefore positioned himself better or organised his defence better maybe.

So 1-1 and I thought here we go again. Throwing 2 points away after we've worked hard for 90 minutes and took the lead without playing very well.

Luckily we got a set piece in the last minute of the game 30 yards out in a central position. Ox chips it in to the back post and there's big dejan who wins a great header and puts the ball across goal and then there's raggy who flys in throwing his body at the ball and wins us the game. Absolute scenes.

Made up for dejan who has come in for all kinds of criticism (from me more than most) so it was nice to see him have a great moment infront of the travelling kop who went mental.

Also made up for rag who has been brilliant for us the last few weeks in my opinion. He deserved that.

So to summarise, we didn't play well today but we got a very crucial three points away from home against a horrible, stubborn, physical, direct team. We were lucky in truth but it's about time we won ugly. Today wasn't about the performance considering we were missing so many big players - it was just about getting the points.

The boys did exceptionally well getting all 3 today and maybe I should have a bit more faith in them.

Great win reds well done.

Top posting H,
      I did the same for their goal, immediately looked to Migs and your right he could have done better, but I'm not going to keep slating the useless tw*t, its well documented now how sh*te he is compared to other keepers, de gea, Butand, Courtois, Cech, Arphexad, yes Pegguy fookin Arphexad, Migs aint much better, that's how sh*te he is  !

Anyhoo peeps, let's not take anything away from yesterday's fantastic victory, closing that gap between us and bridesmaids for the 17/18 campaign proves we are progressing very nicely indeed.

Dunno 'bout' you guys but those ahead are looking over their shoulders and getting very concerned about our breath on their necks, realising we are coming for them and knowing we are getting better and better.

YNWA
      skamp
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 834 posts | 306 
      Reply #653: Jan 02, 2018 12:34:00 pm
      Got to be more than happy that we now have a squad capable of resting Coutinho, Salah (not even on bench) & Firmino, and still have enough (just) to nick a win at place as tough as Burnley.  Performance not great, but don't think anyone expected fireworks with that line-up.  Great result showing we can win ugly, and that, along with coming from behind to beat Leicester, shows we do have some character in side after all. 
      alex1995
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,185 posts | 165 
      Reply #654: Jan 02, 2018 01:12:52 pm
      So happy for Mane, what a goal, but he is clearly not at his best... he's falling every time!

Solanke needs to do better. I don't think he has shown enough to start; Origi would have scored...
      We have Ings and Sturridge waiting and if Solanke starts, he should be deserving.
      Mickred
      • Forum John Barnes

• 413 posts | 53 
      Reply #655: Jan 02, 2018 01:30:36 pm
      best news for me was Ox, he is coming on very nicely.  Especially liked it after final whistle when he gave a fan his shirt and had to run off in front of burnley fans who were giving him some abuse.  He looked up at them and started blowing kisses at them,  really made me laugh.  Even though there was a couple of plastic bottles thrown at him.

Great result as we could have easily lost this one.

YNWA
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Reply #656: Jan 02, 2018 07:56:16 pm
      Don’t get me wrong, I’m made up with the result, especially after they equalised so late in the game. Thought a point was it, despite urging us on to win it.
      My fuddled up head F**k, is why on earth did Solanke get a start with his recent poor form. It’s not what players are capable of long term, it’s surely about how they are operating in the moment !
      At this moment in time, Solanke is sh*te. He had a great pre season, but has since been off form, be it lack of confidence or what. With Ings on the bench, it didn’t make sense to start Solanke, snd further more, once given the chance, when it was clear he couldn’t produce on the day, why not change things earlier to sort it out.
      It’s clear that he was having no impact on the game whatsoever, so why persevere.
      It’s issues like this that rattle me,
      Not the overall performance of the side. Jürgen does sometimes refuse to admit he got it wrong. 3 points yes, so the crack has been papered over slightly, but this sort of thing has cost us in the past, and no doubt will again in the future.
      Worries me sh*tless sometimes.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #657: Jan 03, 2018 01:44:53 am
      Don’t get me wrong, I’m made up with the result, especially after they equalised so late in the game. Thought a point was it, despite urging us on to win it.
      My fuddled up head f**k, is why on earth did Solanke get a start with his recent poor form. It’s not what players are capable of long term, it’s surely about how they are operating in the moment !
      At this moment in time, Solanke is sh*te. He had a great pre season, but has since been off form, be it lack of confidence or what. With Ings on the bench, it didn’t make sense to start Solanke, snd further more, once given the chance, when it was clear he couldn’t produce on the day, why not change things earlier to sort it out.
      It’s clear that he was having no impact on the game whatsoever, so why persevere.
      Not the overall performance of the side. Jürgen does sometimes refuse to admit he got it wrong. 3 points yes, so the crack has been papered over slightly, but this sort of thing has cost us in the past, and no doubt will again in the future.

So we brought Firmino on to close out the match.

Coutinho out
      Salah out
      Sturridge out
      Mane Played

Guess you could say play Ings...but don't know who else you were planning on playing down the middle.
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #658: Jan 03, 2018 07:49:48 am
      The amount of posts here rocketed after the equaliser as usual, then moderated as usual when we won the game. When we've been winning games lately, match threads have barely reached 400 posts. When we don't win, they're almost double it, as the usual crowd queue up to condemn Klopp, the tactics, the players, the backroom staff, the fans, the board, etc etc, armed with the usual stats such as the points we've apparantly "lost" in this and other seasons, when we don't happen to win a game. They're not so fast to reel off the fact that we lost just 10 games last year in all competitions. And just 6 since February.

People try to say when the list comes out that it doesn't matter when the games are played, but actually yes it does, and I said when the list came out, that Burnley away at this time of year wasn't something to look forward to. This was why I say it. It was the usual away game at Burnley experience. A pitch dark, wild, wet and windy, winter scrappy spectacle where good football was not on the menu, a point would have been acceptable, and a win, any win, would be very hard work. So it proved to be.

We're comfortably in the top 4 now, having taken 10 points from.the Christmas schedule. We're 16 games unbeaten, with a defence that has conceded just a paltry 9 league goals since Huddersfield at home, now reinforced to reduce that figure further. So the pitchforks can go back in the garage. We're in a good place, and we're ready to face City now.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Reply #659: Jan 03, 2018 09:45:47 pm
      So we brought Firmino on to close out the match.

Coutinho out
      Salah out
      Sturridge out
      Mane Played

Guess you could say play Ings...but don't know who else you were planning on playing down the middle.

Surely Ings would have been the better option over Solanke. He could play Solanke roll with an improvement in effort and belief alone!
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #660: Jan 03, 2018 09:50:22 pm
      Surely Ings would have been the better option over Solanke. He could play Solanke roll with an improvement in effort and belief alone!

The manager said after the match it was important that Solanke got his minutes....he played a mediocre game from a stats standpoint however him playing allowed Bobby to get a day off which he desperately needed.

Saying Ings would have been the better option is of course your opinion as you don't see them train day in/ day out.....no matter who is up there when 3 of the 4 attackers are not playing they are not going to look good...he filled a roll, got valuable minutes under his belt and we won the match.

Good enough for me.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Reply #661: Jan 03, 2018 09:51:34 pm
       Well after our close call, with tonight’s draw, Arse v rentboys, we are slowly hauling them in. Rentboys only 2 points up and mancs 3.
      Presure will be on them now, and we are only gonna get stronger.  ;D
      bmck

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #662: Jan 03, 2018 09:53:00 pm

Haven't been impressed with Solanke or Ings tbh.
      Throw in Danny, and it's not like we have an abundance of 'traditional striker' options.
      We're doing OK goals wise mind :)
      Still, would swap Origi for any of those three.
      Harrisimo

• 7,966 posts | 1355 
      Reply #663: Jan 03, 2018 11:28:21 pm
      My fuddled up head f**k, is why on earth did Solanke get a start with his recent poor form. It’s not what players are capable of long term, it’s surely about how they are operating in the moment !

Another ludicrous crude bashing of Solanke. He actually did OK. He has hardly played in the team and it was hard going for everybody out there but he worked hard, didn't get any clear cut chances. Fantasy expectations, and when the player doesn't live up to the demands from fans like you, out comes the smug "much as I expected" nonsense.

Quick Reply