Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Virgil van Dijk Player Thread (D)

Read 228523 times
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Re: Virgil van Dijk Player Thread
      Reply #115: Dec 28, 2017 12:51:00 am

You know we do....
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #116: Dec 28, 2017 01:16:02 am
      Neville having a pop at the fee. After his former club let a player go for free to then bring him back for best part of 100mill.

Put him with those that complain that we need a centre back but then complain when we buy a very good one.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #117: Dec 28, 2017 01:36:02 am
      Put him with those that complain that we need a centre back but then complain when we buy a very good one.

I know right! Carra saying about our defence but then slates VVD for his form this season. When we finally start addressing a weaknesses in the team, with big money, it's still not right!
      skolRED
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,132 posts | 256 
      Reply #118: Dec 28, 2017 01:59:58 am
      Great news  :clap:
      Welcome to LFC VvD  :oranje:
      :scarf:
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #119: Dec 28, 2017 02:42:28 am
      I always write Happy VD as my Facebook status on 14th of February.
      Danzel
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,305 posts | 1113 
      Reply #120: Dec 28, 2017 02:55:28 am
      Most have him penned to play alongside Matip but I'm not sure that's the best fit? You don't see many CB partnerships of two very tall CBs. For the more successful partnerships you always have a Carragher to compliment your Hyppia or  Carvallho to compliment a John Terry. I think most of us are hoping that Gomez can blossom as a ball playing centre-half, he certainly has the attributes to do it alongside a player like VVD. In the mean-time I wouldn't write of Lovren. The manager clearly likes him.

Not sure why you think it wouldn't be a good fit? Both Ferninand and Vidic were tall CB's (close to 6'3"-6'4"?) Matip and Van Dijk are both just the one inch taller. I do kind of see your point though. The taller, dominant one and the smaller, quicker one? Don't think pace is an issue with either of them. Both have good passing, can make runs and break the lines, ...

I think both can play together. Van Dijk can be the front foot, aggressive, active CB and Matip the more passive sweeper?

As it stands we have two aggressive CB's: Van Dijk and Lovren and two more passive ones: Matip and Klavan.

The article says Van Dijk prefers playing LCB. Klavan does so aswell. Matip has only played on the right so far for us I think? And I think Lovren has always looked better on the right too.

Van Dijk - Matip
      Klavan - Lovren (they have been pretty solid in their run of games together)

That looks pretty good to me. In all honesty, I think Gomez is nowhere near ready to play CB for us. Still way too indecisive, not dominant enough yet, switches off too often. You can't have that.
      « Last Edit: Dec 28, 2017 04:16:21 am by Danzel »
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #121: Dec 28, 2017 02:55:51 am
      He has been playing most games for Saints hasn't he? Are all their players in crap shape or is it just him?
      I reckon he'll be ready for the citeh match ie about 2 weeks of training.

That is maybe, but he's not Klopp fit, nor was Robertson nor was Ox, it would be silly throwing him in immediately, he needs to bed in slowly, get used to his new environment, his new teammates, the style we play and what JĆ¼rgen wants from him,
      He's probably overweight in Klopp's eye and out of condition,
      Be patient, he'll have the whole of Jan to get up to speed, then the whole of Feb acclimitising , just in time for the return of the CL in March and the run in to May ,

If we pick up that new Keeper and a DM in Jan its safe to say its....
      ...Gonna be a mighty exciting time for all of us .......except Riba of course 😉

YNWA
      Flying Squirrel 39
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 127 posts | 23 
      Reply #122: Dec 28, 2017 03:52:56 am
      The 75M fee is completely obscene, but we needed this. Badly. I would hope we sell Lovren to make the sting of "Liverpool always getting fu**ed in the ass over transfers" go down better, but nonetheless, a vital move and a statement of intent from Klopp and the club. I will expect no less than an inmediate impact, both in performance and leadership. Hopefully Karius breaks through and we'll get the whole defense sorted, but he should be able to make a significant impact even with Mignolet on goal.

Best of luck to him, may this be the first step towards building a stronger Liverpool at the back!

P.S. Here's to him getting a haircut  ;)
      redindian
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,955 posts | 234 
      Reply #123: Dec 28, 2017 04:44:12 am
      I would hope we sell Lovren to make the sting of "Liverpool always getting fu**ed in the ass over transfers" go down better, but nonetheless, a vital move and a statement of intent from Klopp and the club.

On the contrary, I hope this helps Lovren to get his act together. He hasn't really performed well during his time at the club. But, there is a lot to like about Lovren - passionate, aggressive, decisive albeit impulsive. When we signed him I really thought that he was the replacement for Sami. Before we signed Lovren, he had performed excellently for Southampton and in fact he had put in some really good performances in his first few games for us.

I wouldn't mind Lovren as a third or fourth choice CB and if he can get his act together and push his way towards becoming a first choice CB, I would be delighted.

Back on topic - Great signing! About time we made our own multi million dollar signing like how all the "big" clubs have been doing it.
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #124: Dec 28, 2017 06:49:48 am
      Hypia and nicol wore the number 4 in the premier league era...as did Meireles, song and Sahin.
      I know which two players i want him to emulate.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #125: Dec 28, 2017 07:23:09 am
      Not sold on the idea that he's the messiah but Klopp wanted him and Klopp got him. That's a huge boost.

Immediately better than what we have.

Welcome aboard big fella!
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #126: Dec 28, 2017 07:51:14 am
      He has been playing most games for Saints hasn't he? Are all their players in crap shape or is it just him?
      I reckon he'll be ready for the citeh match ie about 2 weeks of training.

No missed a fair few for them through injury. I was eluding to him not having a full proper pre season under Klopp which is a big factor look at Ox and Robbo then Salah for comparison who joined the squad then the latter two.
      GeorgeRed
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,590 posts | 324 
      Reply #127: Dec 28, 2017 08:43:45 am
      75 mil ? I can't really get around this transfer fee ... But welcome !! Hopefully he'll justify the money spent.
      birchesheadred
      • Forum Titi Camara

• 42 posts |
      Reply #128: Dec 28, 2017 08:44:50 am
      Welcome to the greatest club in the world. Love how we got the deal done, under the radar with all the press saying he was city bound. Brilliant
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #129: Dec 28, 2017 08:49:20 am

That is maybe, but he's not Klopp fit, nor was Robertson nor was Ox, it would be silly throwing him in immediately, he needs to bed in slowly, get used to his new environment, his new teammates, the style we play and what JĆ¼rgen wants from him,
      He's probably overweight in Klopp's eye and out of condition,
      Be patient, he'll have the whole of Jan to get up to speed, then the whole of Feb acclimitising , just in time for the return of the CL in March and the run in to May ,

If we pick up that new Keeper and a DM in Jan its safe to say its....
      ...Gonna be a mighty exciting time for all of us .......except Riba of course 😉

YNWA

Sorry but that is mental, do you really think we are going to park a Ā£75 million acquisition on the bench for 2 bloody months and not use him in CL etc, how unfit do you think he is? I think you are doing Southampton a huge disservice here, they may be in a sh*t patch of form at the moment but I'm sure their players, along with all prem players, are of a very high level of fitness, especially the defenders.
      BTW Robertson played almost immediately for us but was kept out of the side by a rebooted Moreno and utility man Milner. The Ox needed a bit more work in terms of new tactics etc, but I'm fairly certain that he was fit enough from the start.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #130: Dec 28, 2017 08:52:22 am
      BTW where are all the posters who never tire of telling us how FSG are killing their club with lack of investment, or perhaps they are just busy crunching some numbers to prove that statistically they are still b***ard owners! ;-)
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,966 posts | 3048 
      Reply #131: Dec 28, 2017 08:53:39 am
      Not sold on the idea that he's the messiah but Klopp wanted him and Klopp got him. That's a huge boost.

Immediately better than what we have.

Welcome aboard big fella!

Heā€™s certainly not a panacea Crouchie - further strengthening needed - but truly believe heā€™s the best fit for us right now. His ability on the ball will release another body into the middle.

His pace means he can 9.5/10 step up but still recover.

As much an attacking signing as a defensive one.
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,455 posts | 1478 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #132: Dec 28, 2017 09:29:49 am
      BTW where are all the posters who never tire of telling us how FSG are killing their club with lack of investment, or perhaps they are just busy crunching some numbers to prove that statistically they are still b***ard owners! ;-)
      Hold on a sec. It's only been this window and (arguably) the last window they've genuinely spent big. Prior to that, they had 7 years and 12 transfer windows of complete mediocrity and sometimes ridiculous failures.

This is a step in the right direction, but it's just a first step.
      « Last Edit: Dec 28, 2017 11:13:24 am by Rush »
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #133: Dec 28, 2017 09:37:17 am
      Hold on a sec. It's only been this window and (arguably) the last window they've genuinely spend big. Prior to that, they had 7 years and 12 transfer windows of complete mediocrity and sometimes ridiculous failures.

;D, I guess the Citeh fans say the same after 30 odds years of no investment ;-). There quite simply is no pleasing some people.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,966 posts | 3048 
      Reply #134: Dec 28, 2017 09:40:54 am
      Hold on a sec. It's only been this window and (arguably) the last window they've genuinely spend big. Prior to that, they had 7 years and 12 transfer windows of complete mediocrity and sometimes ridiculous failures.

Itā€™s also not really spending ā€œbigā€.

At best itā€™s the first time in a long time theyā€™ve invested to the level one should reasonably expect from the income generated.

Capital expenditure is vital - especially when ā€œwear and tearā€ can be mental as well as physical in playing staff.
      Court LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #135: Dec 28, 2017 09:50:20 am
      I've been in a daze since last night.

Disputed with someone over the fee the other day on here, but having said that - we're spending as big as 'the big boys'.

Incredibly happy to see no F***ing about by the club. Van Dijk is a red, a worthy heir to the Hyypia number 4.

Let's win the Champions League. 😉
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,969 posts | 3945 
      Reply #136: Dec 28, 2017 10:22:38 am
      Tell you what though....that is a huge Winter window signing and a statement of intent from the club.

It surely is a mahoosive Winter signing and we can only pray that it does indeed indicate a change in direction of our owners mingebag transfer policy.

What is a huge boosts is the fact that Klopp has been backed totally in his wish to sign the player at a record fee, this could be the new dawn comrades.

« Last Edit: Dec 28, 2017 10:36:22 am by stuey »
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,455 posts | 1478 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #137: Dec 28, 2017 10:33:15 am
      ;D, I guess the Citeh fans say the same after 30 odds years of no investment ;-). There quite simply is no pleasing some people.
      I'm just saying they have a fair way to go before they convince a lot (most?) of the supporters that they're able and willing to spend when it matters. This is a step in the right direction.

Quick Reply