Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Virgil van Dijk Player Thread (D)

Read 228385 times
      AlwaysTheKop
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,208 posts | 1418 
      • CHAMP19NS.
      Re: Virgil van Dijk Player Thread
      Reply #1311: Oct 19, 2020 11:34:36 am
      Just read that Pickford will go unpunished BUT there is a big chance Henderson WILL be punished for his post match interview.... this game is corrupt and I’ll have nothing to do with it.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #1312: Oct 19, 2020 11:45:05 am
      Just read that Pickford will go unpunished BUT there is a big chance Henderson WILL be punished for his post match interview.... this game is corrupt and I’ll have nothing to do with it.

The referees need to explain how it is not a red card then, I F***ing hate how these c**t referees can have a shocking game and have no responsibility, face no repercussions, who referees the referees?

In case anyone has forgotten its that c**t Coombe who also decided Origi had not been fouled in the lead up to the Man Utd goal at Old Trafford last year.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #1313: Oct 19, 2020 11:53:23 am
      Just thinking out loud here..

Can Henderson & Fabinho play at CB long term if Jo & Matip get injured..?
      AlwaysTheKop
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,208 posts | 1418 
      • CHAMP19NS.
      Reply #1314: Oct 19, 2020 11:56:14 am
      Just thinking out loud here..

They could I guess and I think they’d do a decent job, but who’s covering them in front with those two in the back line... if you’re going to have one in defence you definitely need the other in front of it IMO or we’ll be hanging on to games every week.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #1315: Oct 19, 2020 01:20:19 pm
      Best wishes to the big man on a speedy recovery..

Come back even better!!
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,963 posts | 3944 
      Reply #1316: Oct 19, 2020 01:42:29 pm
      Prickford will not face retrospective action from the FA:-

https://www.facebook.com/mirrorfootball

Absolutely unbelievable.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,963 posts | 3944 
      Reply #1317: Oct 19, 2020 01:48:08 pm
      Had hoped he would avoid the worst as I thought his foot wasn't completely planted and believed he managed to lift his leg up just a fraction before impact.

Sadly not.

Huge miss for the reds but ultimately although he is two massive boots to fill, he is just 2 of 22 boots in the team.

The major concern is certainly that both Joe Gomez and Joel Matip are not known for going 38 games without missing any.  I think a lot of us highlighted that we should have strengthened in that area in the summer but that's done now.  Little point replaying it.

Wish him all the best in his recovery and hope he doesn't rush it because these injuries shouldn't be rushed back from.

Unless we sell to buy there is no possibility of replacing VVD's immeasurable contribution to our campaign.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #1318: Oct 19, 2020 01:53:30 pm

I'm sure they could play there but I'm not sure conceding a penalty every game would be ideal!
      CT_LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #1319: Oct 19, 2020 01:58:42 pm
      Had hoped he would avoid the worst as I thought his foot wasn't completely planted and believed he managed to lift his leg up just a fraction before impact.

Sadly not.

Huge miss for the reds but ultimately although he is two massive boots to fill, he is just 2 of 22 boots in the team.

The major concern is certainly that both Joe Gomez and Joel Matip are not known for going 38 games without missing any.  I think a lot of us highlighted that we should have strengthened in that area in the summer but that's done now.  Little point replaying it.

Wish him all the best in his recovery and hope he doesn't rush it because these injuries shouldn't be rushed back from.

We have won everything under the sun recently with 4 CBs and with Fabinho slotting in as 4th choice replacing Lovren there was no need to add another defender. You can't just buy players so you can have them sitting in the stands until there are enough injuries. How many PL clubs are carrying 5+ CB's?
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,049 posts | 6294 
      Reply #1320: Oct 19, 2020 02:05:53 pm
      We have won everything under the sun recently with 4 CBs and with Fabinho slotting in as 4th choice replacing Lovren there was no need to add another defender. You can't just buy players so you can have them sitting in the stands until there are enough injuries. How many PL clubs are carrying 5+ CB's?

How many PL clubs are trying to win another title and have 2 injury prone CBs already?

Sorry, but it was a foolish decision for us to not go sign a CB to replace Lovren. Should have just kept him.

CT_LFC

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #1321: Oct 19, 2020 02:15:11 pm
      How many PL clubs are trying to win another title and have 2 injury prone CBs already?

Sorry, but it was a foolish decision for us to not go sign a CB to replace Lovren. Should have just kept him.

That is just hindsight. Were you saying that before Saturday? Lovren (for some reason) is practically hated by fans and everyone wanted him gone. He could have been on the bench that day and still would have gotten blamed when we conceded a goal.

As for replacement, Fabinho showed he's a quality CB option and made sense he would be Lovren's replacement as 4th choice since with Thiago coming in we would have had a crowded midfield and this helped Fabinho have other options to get playing time.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #1322: Oct 19, 2020 02:16:27 pm
      You can't just buy players so you can have them sitting in the stands until there are enough injuries.

We've lost one centre-back and now we have no effective first team replacement.  I'm not suggesting we have a bench rammed with international defenders, but it might be better to have more than 3 experienced centre-backs at a club, especially when two of them do have recurring form/injury issues.

stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,963 posts | 3944 
      Reply #1323: Oct 19, 2020 02:18:05 pm

The manager did not include Lovren in any future strategy.
      Lovren was inconsistent and therefore unreliable which explains Klopp's decision to get shut.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #1324: Oct 19, 2020 02:18:34 pm
      I'm sure they could play there but I'm not sure conceding a penalty every game would be ideal!

Hopefully Ali will be back in goal soon if that were to happen..😁

Are there any quality CB’s out of contract right now..?
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,019 posts | 2741 
      Reply #1325: Oct 19, 2020 02:22:33 pm

Agree with this. To go into a season with 3 centre backs, two of whom are injury prone was just complete madness.

WeAreMenOfShanklysBest
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 396 posts | 114 
      • up the reds
      Reply #1326: Oct 19, 2020 02:23:54 pm
      Hopefully Ali will be back in goal soon if that were to happen..😁

Are there any quality CB’s out of contract right now..?
      Read a list of names of free agent centre backs this morning must of been 100 names on the list, only name I recognised was mariappa who was with Watford last year. Is he good? No idea really, I remember a CB called kabasele was half decent for them and Cathcart the Northern Ireland international was decent too but can’t say mariappa ever stood out to me
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,049 posts | 6294 
      Reply #1327: Oct 19, 2020 02:25:34 pm
      That is just hindsight. Were you saying that before Saturday? Lovren (for some reason) is practically hated by fans and everyone wanted him gone.
      I wanted him gone, but not gone and not replaced. That was just stupid. It's like driving around with no spare tire. Oh I'll just chuck the spare....probably won't need it and if I do, I'll just walk instead.

As for replacement, Fabinho showed he's a quality CB option and made sense he would be Lovren's replacement as 4th choice since with Thiago coming in we would have had a crowded midfield and this helped Fabinho have other options to get playing time.

Fabinho and Thiago don't vie for playing time with each other. They should both be playing in our ideal setup.
      CT_LFC

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #1328: Oct 19, 2020 02:25:38 pm
      We've lost one centre-back and now we have no effective first team replacement.  I'm not suggesting we have a bench rammed with international defenders, but it might be better to have more than 3 experienced centre-backs at a club, especially when two of them do have recurring form/injury issues.

We do, the 4th one is Fabinho. He was probably MOTM when he played for us at CB at start of the season.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,049 posts | 6294 
      Reply #1329: Oct 19, 2020 02:27:43 pm
      We do, the 4th one is Fabinho. He was probably MOTM when he played for us at CB at start of the season.

OMG just STOP!!

Klopp never bought him to play CB. Yes it's great he can deputize there but it's madness to expect your best CDM to instead play CB because you didn't plan properly. But I can tell you don't really care about logic so probably no use debating this anymore. You are right...we are in an enviable position right now because we can move Fabinho to CB. I mean it's a masterstroke that most of us just apparently didn't see before.

Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #1330: Oct 19, 2020 02:28:37 pm
      The manager did not include Lovren in any future strategy.
      Lovren was inconsistent and therefore unreliable which explains Klopp's decision to get shut.

I dont think binning Lovern was an issue. Tbe issue, which a lot of people said at the time was it leaves us short at the back. 3 centre backs of which 1 is forever injured is nothow a team defending the championship and going for the champions league should set up , ever, nevermind with this seasons crazy fixture congestion..

You cant forsee VVD getting injured but you can Matip and less so Joe, and with internationals thrown in you can see lads needing rest....were now in a situation where we we hope 2 players dont get injured or tired until at least January or we have to move top quality midfielders to centre half. That should not be the case
      CT_LFC

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #1331: Oct 19, 2020 02:33:32 pm
      OMG just STOP!!

Klopp never bought him to play CB. Yes it's great he can deputize there but it's madness to expect your best CDM to instead play CB because you didn't plan properly. But I can tell you don't really care about logic so probably no use debating this anymore. You are right...we are in an enviable position right now because we can move Fabinho to CB. I mean it's a masterstroke that most of us just apparently didn't see before.

says the guy who is is now saying we should have kept Lovren, who is no ironman himself.

Don't you think if Klopp wanted to replace Lovren externally he WOULD HAVE. He obviously saw Fabinho as a quality option, which he is, therefore giving us 4 options at CB, the same amount we've had since Klavan left. How is this so difficult to see?

heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #1332: Oct 19, 2020 02:55:09 pm
      We should have bought an additional CB this summer, but perhaps Klopp has enough faith in the kids and also he has Fab as a very good option.

I honestly think we will be ok until January, but we might need to juggle formations a bit. I also think we will need to go a bit heavy metal, similar to the first few seasons, where we outscored opponents because I think its extremely likely we'll concede more goals now than last season
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,963 posts | 3944 
      Reply #1333: Oct 19, 2020 03:10:06 pm
      I dont think binning Lovern was an issue. Tbe issue, which a lot of people said at the time was it leaves us short at the back. 3 centre backs of which 1 is forever injured is nothow a team defending the championship and going for the champions league should set up , ever, nevermind with this seasons crazy fixture congestion..

You cant forsee VVD getting injured but you can Matip and less so Joe, and with internationals thrown in you can see lads needing rest....were now in a situation where we we hope 2 players dont get injured or tired until at least January or we have to move top quality midfielders to centre half. That should not be the case

The point is Brian having a credible back up for VVD, Lovren by no stretch of the imagination was the man for the job and neither Matip or Gomez can cover adequately.

As you say for a club involved at the highest level of the game as LFC are it is unbelievable  that such a gaping chink in our armour is there for all to see!

What do we do?
      Sell to buy??
      Carry on with second choice players??
      Shuffle the playing order??

"The money is there" JWH tells us again and again blardy Blar.
      Jürgen says the owners are backing him.

Someone's telling F***ing porkies.

Quick Reply