Trending Topics

Next match: Atalanta v LFC [Europa League] Thu 18th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Stadio di Bergamo

Today is the 18th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W9 D10 L12

Virgil van Dijk Player Thread (D)

Read 231116 times
      CT_LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,800 posts | 1399 
      Re: Virgil van Dijk Player Thread
      Reply #1334: Oct 19, 2020 03:12:32 pm
      The point is Brian having a credible back up for VVD, Lovren by no stretch of the imagination was the man for the job and neither Matip or Gomez can cover adequately.

As you say for a club involved at the highest level of the game as LFC are it is unbelievable  that such a gaping chink in our armour is there for all to see!

What do we do?
      Sell to buy??
      Carry on with second choice players??
      Shuffle the playing order??

"The money is there" JWH tells us again and again blardy Blar.
      Jürgen says the owners are backing him.

Someone's telling f**king porkies.

HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #1335: Oct 19, 2020 03:30:57 pm
      I’d rather play with ten men then have Lovren.

VVD is a blow, hope the big man has a speedy recovery.

People need to remember though that since lockdown our back four have been dodgy even with Virgil in it.

This may force klopp into setting up differently, which may benefit us who knows.

Because with or without virgil any team is going to struggle to out score us with our front three.

Blow yes, but the title is far from over. We will be there or thereabouts.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,675 posts | 3696 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #1336: Oct 19, 2020 03:47:18 pm
      Just thinking out loud here..

Can Henderson & Fabinho play at CB long term if Jo & Matip get injured..?

I would feel very safe to be honest. Only top 4 may hurt us with them.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,999 posts | 3950 
      Reply #1337: Oct 19, 2020 04:18:22 pm

What is the answer smart arse to replacing probably the best centre half on the globe??
      Our enforced economies are biting with a vengeance.
      As stated either the manager or the owners are telling porkies in stating "the money is there" when there was never a more urgent scenario for said money to be made available.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #1338: Oct 19, 2020 04:24:39 pm
      What is the answer smart arse to replacing probably the best centre half on the globe??
      As stated either the manager or the owners are telling porkies in stating "the money is there" when there was never a more urgent scenario for said money to be made available.

To be honest mate it’s not the time or place to be bringing club politics into it really. 

I’ve been critical of FSG and agree with a lot you say, but we bought both Thiago and Jota proving that the money was there but Jürgen obviously felt three centre halves and the option of Fabinho slotting in would be enough.

Let’s see what happens in the winter window before we all start kicking off. We might go out and sign somebody. But right now, there’s nothing we can do, so there’s no point moaning about it.
      CT_LFC

• 6,800 posts | 1399 
      Reply #1339: Oct 19, 2020 04:28:39 pm

Why can't it be that Jürgen simply did not see the need to buy another CB and was happy having Fabinho replacing Lovren as the 4th option? He has gone with 4 CB's for the last couple of years since Klavan was allowed to leave.

CT_LFC

• 6,800 posts | 1399 
      Reply #1340: Oct 19, 2020 04:34:05 pm
      To be honest mate it’s not the time or place to be bringing club politics into it really. 

I’ve been critical of FSG and agree with a lot you say, but we bought both Thiago and Jota proving that the money was there but Jürgen obviously felt three centre halves and the option of Fabinho slotting in would be enough.

Let’s see what happens in the winter window before we all start kicking off. We might go out and sign somebody. But right now, there’s nothing we can do, so there’s no point moaning about it.

And Tsimikas.

We addressed all our needs in the transfer window but now people putting on their revisionist glasses are complaining.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,675 posts | 3696 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #1341: Oct 19, 2020 04:53:27 pm
      The point is Brian having a credible back up for VVD, Lovren by no stretch of the imagination was the man for the job and neither Matip or Gomez can cover adequately.

As you say for a club involved at the highest level of the game as LFC are it is unbelievable  that such a gaping chink in our armour is there for all to see!

What do we do?
      Sell to buy??
      Carry on with second choice players??
      Shuffle the playing order??

"The money is there" JWH tells us again and again blardy Blar.
      Jürgen says the owners are backing him.

Someone's telling F***ing porkies.

Klopp did not feel the need to buy, so we need to stop crying and move on and work harder.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,193 posts | 6346 
      Reply #1342: Oct 19, 2020 05:30:33 pm
      says the guy who is is now saying we should have kept Lovren, who is no ironman himself.

says the guy (me) who is saying if we were going to get rid of one of our CBs, we should have brought in another or not gotten rid

end. of. story.

bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,790 posts | 2446 
      Reply #1343: Oct 19, 2020 05:46:21 pm
      We can sign a CB in January so get through the next few weeks without injuries and we will be fine.

If we don't sign a CB in January I will be very concerned.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #1344: Oct 19, 2020 05:49:06 pm
      And Tsimikas.

We addressed all our needs in the transfer window but now people putting on their revisionist glasses are complaining.

Actually can't Tsimicas also play CB?
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,790 posts | 2446 
      Reply #1345: Oct 19, 2020 07:47:09 pm
      Actually can't Tsimicas also play CB?

He has never player CB before.
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,863 posts | 704 
      Reply #1346: Oct 19, 2020 08:10:23 pm
      Quote from HamannsTheMan
      VVD is a blow, hope the big man has a speedy recovery.

One thing the recovery is not, is "speedy". ACL's are a 6-9 month job, possibly 12. Cruciates were 9 months 25-30 years ago, and with all the advances in medical care since, they're not much sooner now. It could be another Danny Ings worst case scenario. His career here was destroyed by them.

Best case scenario is 5 months. That's how long Laporte was absent last season. But he kept missing games on and off after that. Jürgen won't take any shortcuts, no matter how severe the impact his loss will be on the field.
      CT_LFC

• 6,800 posts | 1399 
      Reply #1347: Oct 19, 2020 08:19:55 pm
      One thing the recovery is not, is "speedy". ACL's are a 6-9 month job, possibly 12. Cruciates were 9 months 25-30 years ago, and with all the advances in medical care since, they're not much sooner now. It could be another Danny Ings worst case scenario. His career here was destroyed by them.

Best case scenario is 5 months. That's how long Laporte was absent last season. But he kept missing games on and off after that. Jürgen won't take any shortcuts, no matter how severe the impact his loss will be on the field.

Is Virgil's the same injury Gomez had? he was gone a long time.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #1348: Oct 19, 2020 08:47:59 pm

Maybe I'm confusing with one of the other LB's we were linked to. It'll have to be one of the youngsters fast tracked in then, we need a 4th CB.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,790 posts | 2446 
      Reply #1349: Oct 19, 2020 08:52:51 pm
      Maybe I'm confusing with one of the other LB's we were linked to. It'll have to be one of the youngsters fast tracked in then, we need a 4th CB.

Yea we were linked to a player in the French league can't remember his name but can play RB or CB.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,674 posts | 6685 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #1350: Oct 20, 2020 04:22:12 am
      I think Jürgen will spring a surprise and put Gini at CB...am sure I read he's learned to play that position in the off season as a back up to a back up. Not sure it will work, but will give him more game time and maybe lessen the chance of him wanting more minutes and F***ing off to Barca??

Thoughts only, not the drugs this time u funny cu*ts!!
      Kopite78
      Reply #1351: Oct 20, 2020 06:46:00 am
      I think Jürgen will spring a surprise and put Gini at CB...am sure I read he's learned to play that position in the off season as a back up to a back up. Not sure it will work, but will give him more game time and maybe lessen the chance of him wanting more minutes and f**king off to Barca??

Thoughts only, not the drugs this time u funny Cu*ts!!

If that's not on drugs, I suggest you get back on them then 😀

To be honest I'd love us to go and win it again now, City complaining that we only won it because Laporte got injured last season and now let's see how we cope

Yeah, let's see, I'd be over the moon if we shove that f**ker down their throat
      « Last Edit: Oct 20, 2020 07:53:30 am by Kopite78 »
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #1352: Oct 20, 2020 08:25:55 am
      [https://www.thisisanfield.com/2020/10/explaining-virgil-van-dijks-acl-knee-injury-return-timeline-career-implications/]

Thought this was a good article from a doctor detailing Virgil's injury and likely scenarios going forward. Two points of emphasis:

1. Trying to get him back this season is likely to increase the risk of a further setback. We should resist that temptation no matter how much the idea of having a healthy Virgil back for the final month or so would appeal. Just settle that he's gone until next season unless there is a very surprising news item about his injury still to come.

2. Even when he returns (next season), we are probably looking at another 12 months before he has a chance to play at the same high level we've been accustomed to.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #1353: Oct 20, 2020 08:37:14 am
      [https://www.thisisanfield.com/2020/10/explaining-virgil-van-dijks-acl-knee-injury-return-timeline-career-implications/]

Thought this was a good article from a doctor detailing Virgil's injury and likely scenarios going forward. Two points of emphasis:

1. Trying to get him back this season is likely to increase the risk of a further setback. We should resist that temptation no matter how much the idea of having a healthy Virgil back for the final month or so would appeal. Just settle that he's gone until next season unless there is a very surprising news item about his injury still to come.

2. Even when he returns (next season), we are probably looking at another 12 months before he has a chance to play at the same high level we've been accustomed to.

2 years out, wtf??? I get that for a striker it can take a while to rehabilitate fully but I thought it was quicker for defenders. I have a funny feeling we'll see Virgil back before the end of the season, I also think we'll cope ok with his loss, sure we'll concede more but then we'll just have to shift gear and score more ourselves, change our setup back to heavy metal football a bit.

The first objective now is survive until we get Alisson back, luckily our next 2 opponents are Sheff Utd and West Ham which should be beatable, I fancy us to outscore both teams, to hell with clean sheets at this point.
      Second objective is to survive until January, at that point we are going to have spend whatever it takes to get a top CB in.
      Kopite78
      Reply #1354: Oct 20, 2020 08:54:21 am
      2 years out, wtf??? I get that for a striker it can take a while to rehabilitate fully but I thought it was quicker for defenders.

That makes no sense, the human body is the human body

If anything Virgils body mass and weight through his knee will mean more stress on it
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #1355: Oct 20, 2020 09:03:50 am

If anything Virgils body mass and weight through his knee will mean more stress on it

I reckon he'll be back to his best way before 2 years, lets hope so anyway.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,790 posts | 2446 
      Reply #1356: Oct 20, 2020 09:35:51 am

It all depends. Some players heal well without further complications while others struggle post rehab. We won't know how Virgil will cope for another 9 to 12 months.

Quick Reply