Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Virgil van Dijk Player Thread (D)

Read 228357 times
      rossyred
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,094 posts | 1632 
      Re: Virgil van Dijk Player Thread
      Reply #1357: Oct 20, 2020 10:30:11 am
      No reason he can't be as good again didnt seem to impact on Shearer and Van Nistelroy
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #1358: Oct 20, 2020 10:40:41 am
      2 years out, wtf??? I get that for a striker it can take a while to rehabilitate fully but I thought it was quicker for defenders. I have a funny feeling we'll see Virgil back before the end of the season, I also think we'll cope ok with his loss, sure we'll concede more but then we'll just have to shift gear and score more ourselves, change our setup back to heavy metal football a bit.

The first objective now is survive until we get Alisson back, luckily our next 2 opponents are Sheff Utd and West Ham which should be beatable, I fancy us to outscore both teams, to hell with clean sheets at this point.
      Second objective is to survive until January, at that point we are going to have spend whatever it takes to get a top CB in.

Not two years out, but two years before he reaches top level again..it's an estimate, but the author makes a good case for it.

I do notice that fans of football tend to assume everyone will make a full recovery, but that's just not always the case. It's a traumatic injury. Hopefully he can get back.
      « Last Edit: Oct 20, 2020 10:46:42 am by Robby The Z »
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #1359: Oct 20, 2020 11:50:42 am
      If anything Virgils body mass and weight through his knee will mean more stress on it

Yeah, this is my take on it too.

Main thing for him is that he can get back at all I'd say.  I'm not expecting him back till next September.  I'd be very dubious if he was rushed back for say April.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #1360: Oct 20, 2020 12:32:18 pm

Main thing for him is that he can get back at all I'd say.  I'm not expecting him back till next September.  I'd be very dubious if he was rushed back for say April.

We definitely should not rush him back, but I honestly think he will be back sooner than some think. In any case we have to get another CB in January and luckily our fixtures until then are relatively nice.
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,053 posts | 82 
      Reply #1361: Oct 20, 2020 10:39:29 pm
      Any medical expert with an educated guess about VVD's return? In the NFL you usually have this after some top player gets injured. They (media) ask MD's for commentary and ususally those are pretty accurate. I'd love to hear an expert about 1) if VVD can get back to 100% and 2) what he/she thinks he did torn (yes, they are usually experts and can see a lot more from VVD's movement after the incident) and 3) how long it might take.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #1362: Oct 21, 2020 08:40:00 am
      If that's not on drugs, I suggest you get back on them then 😀

To be honest I'd love us to go and win it again now, City complaining that we only won it because Laporte got injured last season and now let's see how we cope

Yeah, let's see, I'd be over the moon if we shove that f**ker down their throat

No, hold my hand up, was having a cone last night and it dawned on me. What I read was, that Gini was learning more of Fabs' role in the short
      off season, so that Fab could drop back into defense. Sorry Team.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #1363: Oct 21, 2020 10:26:38 am
      Gini was obviously asked at presser and gave an honest answer, stupid tackle by pickford....now its being jumped on that we are wingers and should shut up....media really drive the hatred of us
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #1364: Oct 21, 2020 04:08:53 pm

He'll get back and he'll be back 100% IF his mind allows him to be. The injury itself is fixed, he'll rehab and it will be strengthened to the point that it will be fine mechanically, but he'll have to allow himself to believe it won't be a problem. So the biggest thing will be can he play with the same fire and determination to get stuck in that he always did. Will he make those long runs and then stop on a dime and trust his knee. That's going to be the question. He has no business trying to make it back for this season though. He's young enough that there's no reason whatsoever to rush him because a full recovery can mean his career can still be a long, healthy one.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #1365: Oct 21, 2020 04:10:21 pm
      Reports now saying it's worse than first feared....
      Kopite78
      Reply #1366: Oct 21, 2020 04:17:50 pm

The reports coming out sunday (without confirmation) were saying grade 3 tear

About as bad as you can get unfortunately
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #1367: Oct 21, 2020 04:19:25 pm

Clickbait tweet if it's the same one you saw. There's probably damage to the MCL or LCL too which won't really affect the surgery or recovery timeline. Could be meniscus as well but again, that would be fixed within the timeline of the ACL. Pretty sure Ox's knee was torn apart worse than Virgil's and we know how long his recovery took. I'd say expect Virgil to be out about a year. Maybe 18 months to be back to his 7 days ago self, full fitness.

LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #1368: Oct 21, 2020 04:44:15 pm
      Clickbait tweet if it's the same one you saw. There's probably damage to the MCL or LCL too which won't really affect the surgery or recovery timeline. Could be meniscus as well but again, that would be fixed within the timeline of the ACL. Pretty sure Ox's knee was torn apart worse than Virgil's and we know how long his recovery took. I'd say expect Virgil to be out about a year. Maybe 18 months to be back to his 7 days ago self, full fitness.

Horrendous
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #1369: Oct 21, 2020 04:46:31 pm
      I’m
      No medic but I think the big man will be back sooner than some think..

How many games has Virgil missed  through injury in his career?
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #1370: Oct 21, 2020 04:55:56 pm
      It's all conjecture at the moment
      Kopite78
      Reply #1371: Oct 21, 2020 04:56:43 pm
      I’m

He missed 7 months with the ankle injury the year prior to us buying him

I'm afraid these type of injuries you dont get back "sooner" really

Long haul for the big man, but we will be waiting and supporting him all the way
      Best case for me is the begining of next season
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,963 posts | 3944 
      Reply #1372: Oct 21, 2020 05:52:56 pm
      He missed 7 months with the ankle injury the year prior to us buying him

I'm afraid these type of injuries you dont get back "sooner" really

Long haul for the big man, but we will be waiting and supporting him all the way
      Best case for me is the begining of next season

True enough mate, absolutely no prospect of an optimistic outcome regarding his time out.
      Quite sure the manager and medical staff will err on the side of caution, unless the ligament is 100% the results of a premature return are catastrophic in the longer term.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #1373: Oct 21, 2020 06:03:56 pm
      I’m

Depends on whether we were trying to buy him at the time ;)
      Klopps Snood
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,632 posts | 1558 
      • CHAMPI9NS
      Reply #1374: Oct 23, 2020 01:51:51 pm
      Dear Virgil, I'm absolutely gutted for you as a player and for us as fans to be hacked down the way you were was completely unacceptable.

I'm just hoping and praying you can come back from this injury and we are all with you every step of the way through your rehab, keep strong and remember...

You will never walk alone.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      Reply #1375: Oct 24, 2020 12:07:11 am
      I still can't come to terms with this, makes me angrier and angrier just thinking about it! You c**t Pickford!  :f_steam:
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #1376: Oct 24, 2020 10:30:52 am
      I still can't come to terms with this, makes me angrier and angrier just thinking about it! You C**t Pickford!  :f_steam:

Do you think you can win league without him Ian?
      CT_LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #1377: Oct 24, 2020 03:59:56 pm

100%. This season is not like the last 3 were 1-2 teams take off from the pack. This year everyone is dropping points and will be a much closer race.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      Reply #1378: Oct 25, 2020 12:02:00 am

I do mate, might just be by 10 points this time around!  ;D ;D xxxxx:action-smiley-065: :kop5cf8koxp6: :action-smiley-055:
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #1379: Oct 25, 2020 07:59:34 am
      I do mate, might just be by 10 points this time around!  ;D ;D xxxxx:action-smiley-065: :kop5cf8koxp6: :action-smiley-055:

Well I suppose the way things are going it's quite possible with everyone dropping points. F***ing hope not though, you'll never  be off my case again.  :lmao:

Quick Reply