Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm - Pre Match Topic
      London Stadium

Today is the 27th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W13 D5 L11

Virgil van Dijk Player Thread (D)

Read 233251 times
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,228 posts | 918 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Re: Virgil van Dijk Player Thread (D)
      Reply #1932: Jan 09, 2024 09:14:55 pm
      How come VVD missed Sundays game ?, I watched the game but had visitors so never caught what happened
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,267 posts | 760 
      Reply #1933: Jan 09, 2024 09:15:56 pm
      How come VVD missed Sundays game ?, I watched the game but had visitors so never caught what happened
      He was unwell.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,748 posts | 6721 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #1934: Jan 11, 2024 10:46:18 pm
      I still can't believe his header to set them on the way for their goal!
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,543 posts | 725 
      Reply #1935: Jan 12, 2024 04:59:10 pm
      I still can't believe his header to set them on the way for their goal!

People are making far too much of this. He was trying to reach the ball with his head and couldn't fully get to it. I don't see what the issue is. Pundits are clutching at straws at this point.
      « Last Edit: Jan 12, 2024 05:04:12 pm by PastorGeek »
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,748 posts | 6721 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #1936: Jan 12, 2024 11:55:43 pm
      People are making far too much of this. He was trying to reach the ball with his head and couldn't fully get to it. I don't see what the issue is. Pundits are clutching at straws at this point.

I thought it was a simple header forward, I couldn't understand why he'd twist his neck that way, and if he was to twist, thought he'd try to twist the other way.
      PolarBearRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,753 posts | 861 
      Reply #1937: Jan 29, 2024 12:07:32 pm

My first reaction was that this is worrying, but I guess that its logical and if we look at it with a positive outlook then this is motivation for FSG and everyone who will be involved in this transition to do a flawless job. Some players will indeed wait and see what happens before deciding on their future with us.

FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,318 posts | 6380 
      Reply #1938: Jan 29, 2024 01:06:04 pm

My first reaction was that this is worrying, but I guess that its logical and if we look at it with a positive outlook then this is motivation for FSG and everyone who will be involved in this transition to do a flawless job. Some players will indeed wait and see what happens before deciding on their future with us.

Virgil has 18 months left on his contract so this would be the summer for an extension. With Klopp leaving I suppose he's just wondering what that means for any new manager coming in and whether they will want him and he will want to play for them. I doubt it's much of anything right now. Just him trying to answer honestly. He also said he was really thinking about all this because Klopp is still here and he wants to finish what they started. I wish journos would give the players some space on this but I know it's their job to generate content so no luck there.
      PolarBearRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,753 posts | 861 
      Reply #1939: Jan 29, 2024 01:23:25 pm
      Virgil has 18 months left on his contract so this would be the summer for an extension. With Klopp leaving I suppose he's just wondering what that means for any new manager coming in and whether they will want him and he will want to play for them. I doubt it's much of anything right now. Just him trying to answer honestly. He also said he was really thinking about all this because Klopp is still here and he wants to finish what they started. I wish journos would give the players some space on this but I know it's their job to generate content so no luck there.
      Agreed. Its nothing right now and to be honest, I think the players have the right to question themselves about their future with such a transitional period coming up. It doesn't mean they are leaving. Like I said, I think its even healthy to have players saying that out loud as they are part of an organization and expect that organization to take the proper decisions in order to stay successful.

Other players could've just given a generic and dishonest answer to the question. Virgil answered honestly and straight to the point.
      Don77
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,529 posts | 1083 
      Reply #1940: Jan 29, 2024 01:33:23 pm
      He's the captain of the club and still one of the best in his position. Why would he want to leave? He will be well aware of whats happened to players who leave here.

It's bizarre the club didn't sort his deal out last summer. It's almost negligent to let virg, trent etc enter the last year of their deals. Needs sorting.
      CT_LFC

• 6,808 posts | 1402 
      Reply #1941: Jan 29, 2024 02:45:42 pm

He’ll be just shy of 34yo when his contract runs out so I understand if he says he’s unsure because he’s at an age where an incoming manager may decide to move him on, or gradually transition him to a lesser role, etc which may not align with his own desires.
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,020 posts | 527 
      Reply #1942: Jan 29, 2024 03:05:00 pm

Yeah was a bit taken aback at first but for those players whose contracts are up in 2025 it's better we get their futures sorted this summer rather than let them leave on a free  the following one. Trent n Mo are obviously the 2 we would get really big money for, but Virg is still worth a bob or 2.

Jürgen going makes their futures more uncertain but we were always going to need to try and sort those contracts by this summer anyway, so no real problem with Virg bringing this to the fore.

Guess one thing is that probaby no one will sign til they know who the new manager is, so won't be happening before the summer.
      The-AllMightyReds
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 804 posts | 155 
      Reply #1943: Jan 29, 2024 04:35:18 pm
      Nothing too much too see here.

It's a natural response from Virgil after being asked the question.

Every player would probably answer the same, none of them can know their future until we know who the next manager will be and what his intentions are.

-LFC-
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,213 posts | 1221 
      Reply #1944: Jan 29, 2024 04:46:06 pm
      Case of a player giving an honest and uncontroversial answer, which some sections of the media are spinning to create the impression of turmoil and uncertainty.
      __Tickle__
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,861 posts | 411 
      Reply #1945: Jan 29, 2024 05:17:07 pm
      If he wants to be part of it that would help but if he doesn't he doesn't and in which case being under contract he'd have to hope someone comes in with the cash for him.
      Don77

• 6,529 posts | 1083 
      Reply #1946: Jan 29, 2024 06:34:42 pm
      If he wants to be part of it that would help but if he doesn't he doesn't and in which case being under contract he'd have to hope someone comes in with the cash for him.

Only 1 year left though so we've got zero leverage. I think trent , Ali and salah all have 1 year to go in the summer..

First priority is securing these lads because they bring the experience and world  class ability to go with the younger lads.
      __Tickle__
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,861 posts | 411 
      Reply #1947: Jan 29, 2024 07:24:07 pm
      Only 1 year left though so we've got zero leverage. I think trent , Ali and salah all have 1 year to go in the summer..

First priority is securing these lads because they bring the experience and world  class ability to go with the younger lads.

Yeah not ideal the seagulls will be circling around us hoping that with the uncertainty comes chaos and players can be plucked away for cheap.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,177 posts | 8552 
      Reply #1948: Jan 29, 2024 08:21:08 pm

There's an easy out for Virgil there that he hasn't taken. Everyone knows that the narrative is that Liverpool are going to fall apart when Klopp leaves ;)

HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,177 posts | 8552 
      Reply #1949: Jan 29, 2024 08:34:47 pm
      ESPN currently sh*t-stirring the VVD comments during half time of the Blackburn/Wrexham cup tie
      Scottbot

• 9,614 posts | 2159 
      Reply #1950: Jan 30, 2024 11:13:41 am
      I think it's only natural we will see some players move on at the end of the season when Klopp leaves. Hopefully Virgil isn't one of them although Trent would be the most important to tie up long-term, alongside players like Konate (who is turning into a monster of a player). I would very much hope that players like Robbo, VVD and Salah still want to be here but i guess we'll get a steer on that as the season progresses.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,352 posts | 2819 
      Reply #1951: Jan 30, 2024 12:10:05 pm
      Is this really news?

Van Dijk was integral to the Klopp project - Klopp waited months to sign him when most would have chosen a second option, he then became the main man at the back and now he’s captain.

He’s entitled to feel a bit unsure about life after Jürgen and he’s entitled to wait until we announce a new manager before deciding on his future.

I do hope he stays as he would be perfect in leading the transition to a new manager.
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,372 posts | 1029 
      Reply #1952: Jan 30, 2024 12:12:42 pm
      Yeah not ideal the seagulls will be circling around us hoping that with the uncertainty comes chaos and players can be plucked away for cheap.
      Don’t think any of those players would go to Brighton.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,977 posts | 2709 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #1953: Jan 30, 2024 12:30:21 pm
      I’ve yet to hear  VVD comments, has anyone got a link?
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,267 posts | 760 
      Reply #1954: Jan 30, 2024 12:44:58 pm
      I’ve yet to hear  VVD comments, has anyone got a link?
      I'll sum it up for you.
      Question from press to VVD....What will happen with your career post Klopp?...Answer..."I don't know"
      It's nothing dressed up as news.

Quick Reply