Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Napoli [Champions League] Tue 11th Dec @ 8:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 11th of December and on this date LFC's match record is P22 W7 D8 L7

Virgil van Dijk Player Thread

Read 20118 times
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,501 posts | 2526 
      Re: Virgil van Dijk Player Thread
      Reply #480: Nov 07, 2018 10:21:44 pm
      Needs to come under scrutiny after that performance. I am seeing people all over Alisson for his performance but Virgil was awful and culpable for the first goal. His poor headed clearance back to the center of the field lead to a shot brilliantly saved for the corner we conceded.

His positioning, awareness, and marking for the corner was woeful and way too easy for their striker to burst his way through. He was bullied by the lump all night for context the guy he was bullied by was playing in the Serbian second division 2 years ago and cost 300k. Certainly made light work of the worlds most expensive defender.

It's nothing personal against Virgil before anyone starts shouting out "Lovren fan boy" but I'm always calling a spade a spade and if we're going to be critical of individuals and their performances let's then be consistent in that. Nobody could walk away with their heads held up high after last night and that includes Virgil.

A couple of mistakes no doubt but bullied all night that’s just OTT.

Dadorious
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,615 posts | 929 
      Reply #481: Nov 07, 2018 11:40:23 pm
      A couple of mistakes no doubt but bullied all night that’s just OTT.

The lad had him on the aerial duels all night. I will also add that along with our midfield 3 he didn't win a tackle all night...fact.

OTT is saying that Virgil is sh*te and not worth the money, I'm pointing out he was at fault and had a poor game and shouldn't be immune from criticism in this instance. No different from the other 10 players that took the field.
      « Last Edit: Nov 07, 2018 11:47:10 pm by Dadorious »
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,661 posts | 2308 
      Reply #482: Nov 08, 2018 06:58:57 am
      Hendo is not a leader, that's why. A captain has to be a natural leader. Someone to inspire his teammates, the fans, intimidate the opposition, dig us out of a spot when required, calm everyone down when they're panicking. When did Hendo last do that? Has he ever? He went awol in Kiev, while his counterpart literally got stuck in.

VVD is a natural leader and already the players choice to be captain. And he's not even here a year yet, let alone 7. He doesn't go missing, he doesn't have bad games, he's often motm. Having him captain is a no-brainer.

This.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,127 posts | 2707 
      Reply #483: Nov 08, 2018 09:49:41 am

he must  have hated Stevie then because he was not a natural leader or Capt he inspired by his efforts not by organising or motivating his team mates. Despite this he still managed to be a pretty good Capt.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,277 posts | 1734 
      Reply #484: Nov 08, 2018 01:00:42 pm
      Hendo is not a leader, that's why. A captain has to be a natural leader. Someone to inspire his teammates, the fans, intimidate the opposition, dig us out of a spot when required, calm everyone down when they're panicking. When did Hendo last do that? Has he ever? He went awol in Kiev, while his counterpart literally got stuck in.

VVD is a natural leader and already the players choice to be captain. And he's not even here a year yet, let alone 7. He doesn't go missing, he doesn't have bad games, he's often motm. Having him captain is a no-brainer.

OK, all the lads who have played with him who have spoken about his outstanding leadership qualities are wrong, and you're right.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 4,723 posts | 404 
      Reply #485: Nov 08, 2018 01:34:43 pm
      OK, all the lads who have played with him who have spoken about his outstanding leadership qualities are wrong, and you're right.

:lmao:
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan.
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,216 posts | 372 
      Reply #486: Nov 09, 2018 11:59:33 pm
      Quote from waltonl4
      he must  have hated Stevie then because he was not a natural leader or Capt he inspired by his efforts not by organising or motivating his team mates. Despite this he still managed to be a pretty good Capt.

He was not just an inspirational leader, he has a cupboard full of winners medals from this cup and that cup. He chipped in with 186 goals, often at the exact time we needed it, and is one of the club's greatest ever players.

Hendo is not in the top 200. If it was him instead of Steve that night against Olympiakos, he would have chipped it aimlessly into the box straight to the keeper as he has in the past and still does, rather than rifle it home from 25 yards as Steve did. Leading by example and seizing the initiative at the vital moment is what the great captains do.
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,966 posts | 1057 
      Reply #487: Nov 10, 2018 07:17:07 am
      The lad is comfortably our player of the season so far and a contender for player of the year in my book. I think he’ll prove to be one of the best signings the club has ever made.
      redindian
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,647 posts | 139 
      Reply #488: Nov 11, 2018 04:40:54 pm
      lfc across the water
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,216 posts | 372 
      Reply #489: Nov 14, 2018 06:09:09 pm
      Captain against Fulham.

When their effort is disallowed, he tells Alisson to get the move going and catch the opposition on the hop. 10 seconds later, the ball is in the net. Awareness. Initiative. Leadership.

By the time Hendo comes on, the game is in the bag and he has nothing to do.
      srslfc
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 25,094 posts | 1693 
      Reply #490: Nov 14, 2018 06:23:26 pm

It's beyond me why some people so desperately need Virgil to have the armband?

He acts like a captain armband or not and constantly calling for him to get the armband is stuff you'd expect to hear from a child not grown ups.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 7,297 posts | 1738 
      Reply #491: Nov 14, 2018 06:29:06 pm

He acts like a captain armband or not and constantly calling for him to get the armband is stuff you'd expect to hear from a child not grown ups.

Very little to do with VVD in most cases, sadly Si.

The “acceptable” face of Hendo baiting.

Sad.
      « Last Edit: Nov 14, 2018 06:36:21 pm by Scotia »
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,277 posts | 1734 
      Reply #492: Nov 14, 2018 06:38:37 pm
      Very little to do with VVD in most cases, sadly Si.

The acceptable face of Hendo baiting.

Sad.

It makes little sense to me, especially the "I never want to see Henderson in a red shirt again" or other such nonsense, like the almost giddy glee because people thought Fabinho had been bought to replace Henderson.

It's not like Klopp is reading and says to himself "oh my lord, 'poster x' is upset, I must immediately drop Henderson".

As far as VVD and the armband goes, this is spot on;

FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,848 posts | 1345 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #493: Nov 14, 2018 06:41:08 pm
      Endless arguments over a piece of stretchy elastic.  Suppose it's better than going round in circles about rafa/fsg, only marginally though
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,023 posts | 2962 
      Reply #494: Nov 14, 2018 07:27:38 pm
      Captain against Fulham.

When their effort is disallowed, he tells Alisson to get the move going and catch the opposition on the hop. 10 seconds later, the ball is in the net. Awareness. Initiative. Leadership.

The incomprehensible vitriol is shared between Rafa and Henderson it seems.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,672 posts | 2588 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #495: Nov 16, 2018 10:08:54 am
      Captain against Fulham.

As much as I think VVD should be club captain, I think it speaks volume about the level of respect he has for our actual club captain because as soon as Hendo was on the pitch, Virgil was going over to him to give him back the armband. Whether it’s our choice or not, Hendo is club captain and he clearly has the respect of the team. Virgil doesn’t need the armband ultimately, it makes no difference to his game, he will be just as vocal, just as commanding and display the exact same leadership. Unless you think that without the armband he wouldn’t have told Alisson to quickly get the play going again?...
      lfc across the water
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,216 posts | 372 
      Reply #496: Nov 17, 2018 11:25:12 pm
      It's more than a piece of elastic. The captain has to be a natural leader, as I said before.

If VVD was captain, I don't think he would have gone missing in Kiev. Handing Hendo the armband last week, was less about respect, and more about team policy. If Hendo is out there, he has it automatically.

This is not to say Hendo shouldn't be out there, he does a solid, functional job adequately enough, but you need more qualities than that to be captain imo.
      ConzS
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 2,095 posts | 307 
      Reply #497: Nov 19, 2018 10:33:41 pm
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,485 posts | 2043 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #498: Nov 19, 2018 10:52:30 pm
      Billy1

• 9,949 posts | 1390 
      Reply #499: Nov 20, 2018 07:48:56 am
      Yes but imagine doing a coin toss with VVD standing opposite you as opposed to Jordan, that little bit of extra intimidation can spread through a team.

I am one who believes VVD should be captain as he wants to be a winner.Also he scored a cracker of a goal in the international.
      Dadorious
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,615 posts | 929 
      Reply #500: Nov 20, 2018 08:57:30 am
      Top man. Nice vid of him doing the rounds comforting the ref from the Netherlands - Germany match as his mother recently passed.
      Shabs
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,383 posts | 2063 
      Reply #501: Nov 20, 2018 09:20:26 am
      Top man. Nice vid of him doing the rounds comforting the ref from the Netherlands - Germany match as his mother recently passed.

True leader that kid..
      molbys belly
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,139 posts | 54 
      Reply #502: Nov 20, 2018 09:49:02 am
      Great finish last night from the big man
      heimdall

• 7,181 posts | 1357 
      Reply #503: Nov 20, 2018 11:34:04 am

He's a classy guy and a superb footballer.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,848 posts | 1345 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #504: Nov 20, 2018 12:13:07 pm
      Top player and more importantly a top bloke
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,277 posts | 1734 
      Reply #505: Nov 20, 2018 12:31:49 pm
      What a finish that was.
      LondonRed83

• 7,540 posts | 734 
      Reply #506: Nov 20, 2018 01:00:36 pm
      How f**king good is he? Unbelievable talent
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,661 posts | 2308 
      Reply #507: Nov 20, 2018 02:31:08 pm

El Capitano  methinks Shabs.
      Ribapuru

• 9,681 posts | 1056 
      Reply #508: Nov 20, 2018 04:48:20 pm
      I am one who believes VVD should be captain as he wants to be a winner.Also he scored a cracker of a goal in the international.
      Even if VVD weren't captain, Henderson shouldn't be. Henderson can't take good penalties and for me a captain should be able to do that. Henderson missed one in the world cup, nobody remembers because England still won. He also missed against Atletico Madrid. The ones he scored never convinced me he should take a penalty. I think if Van Dijk took a penalty he'd actually put a hole in the neck of the net

Being able to take a good penalty means ability to perform under pressure. It's a good measuring stick. If you look at good captains, they are good penalty takers... just look at Gerrard and dare I say Kane and Shearer?
      « Last Edit: Nov 20, 2018 04:54:01 pm by Ribapuru »
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 7,297 posts | 1738 
      Reply #509: Nov 20, 2018 04:53:48 pm
      Even if VVD weren't captain, Henderson shouldn't be. Henderson can't take good penalties and for me a captain should be able to do that. Henderson missed one in the world cup, nobody remembers because England still won. He also missed against Atletico Madrid. The ones he scored never convinced me he should take a penalty. I think if Van Dijk took a penalty he'd actually put a hole in the neck of the net.

A net is, intrinsically, full of holes Ribs.......

Hence the saying “like catching water in a net” to denote something futile.

Just saying 😘

Quick Reply