Trending Topics

Next match: Cardiff v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Cardiff City Stadium

Today is the 21st of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W15 D9 L7

Virgil van Dijk Player Thread

Read 33218 times
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 38,875 posts | 3302 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Re: Virgil van Dijk Player Thread
      Reply #825: Apr 02, 2019 04:39:15 pm
      van Dijk deserves the credit he's getting for his superb decision making throughout pretty much every game, nearly all the time, and I'm happy to see him get recognition for that 2vs1 situation against Spurs, but I have a bit of a problem with how the whole analysis is ridiculously based on the outcome. As I see it, VvD did what he had to do, but in the end Sissoko still had plenty of space for a finish and even in his worst foot, could and definitely should have scored from that position; and if he did, would we be hearing anything at all about that passage of play, or how this somehow proves VvD is the best defender in the world? Nah, I very much doubt it, even though it was a perfectly plausible and acceptable outcome - a lot of the time you can only do your best and hope for the best, and this time it worked. Had Sissoko scored, and we lost that game, it wouldn't shock me to see some even turning on the player; change the outcome, and people shift their focus of analysis, the talk could suddenly become that he was out of position, that the line should've been higher, or whatever suited the narrative best. But well, Sissoko didn't score, so  the narratives can be created around it; not really a problem, but there's surely a bunch of piss poor "analysis" around the press as usual.

To be fair, Virgil wasn't actually that far off getting a block in by the time the shot was taken.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 23,509 posts | 3287 
      Reply #826: Apr 02, 2019 05:39:27 pm
      but in the end Sissoko still had plenty of space for a finish and even in his worst foot, could and definitely should have scored from that position;

And somehow...he didn't score from that position. Maybe because VVD played it perfectly.
      skolRED
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,459 posts | 155 
      Reply #827: Apr 02, 2019 05:40:43 pm
      they have more than one ball these days.

Wouldn't make a scrap of difference.

For me it is what he trying  to do that matter. 
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,020 posts | 1098 
      Reply #828: Apr 02, 2019 06:16:40 pm
      van Dijk deserves the credit he's getting for his superb decision making throughout pretty much every game, nearly all the time, and I'm happy to see him get recognition for that 2vs1 situation against Spurs, but I have a bit of a problem with how the whole analysis is ridiculously based on the outcome. As I see it, VvD did what he had to do, but in the end Sissoko still had plenty of space for a finish and even in his worst foot, could and definitely should have scored from that position; and if he did, would we be hearing anything at all about that passage of play, or how this somehow proves VvD is the best defender in the world? Nah, I very much doubt it, even though it was a perfectly plausible and acceptable outcome - a lot of the time you can only do your best and hope for the best, and this time it worked. Had Sissoko scored, and we lost that game, it wouldn't shock me to see some even turning on the player; change the outcome, and people shift their focus of analysis, the talk could suddenly become that he was out of position, that the line should've been higher, or whatever suited the narrative best. But well, Sissoko didn't score, so  the narratives can be created around it; not really a problem, but there's surely a bunch of piss poor "analysis" around the press as usual.

I was screaming at the Tele at the time make him shoot!! It's Moussa Sissoko and the lad does it every single game. He has no end product in either his shot or pass.

To my shock a Liverpool player kept their heads in a tie like this (same game last year we didn't) but I was made up.

As for Sissoko he's all power and no ability the poor lad.
      Diego LFC
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 18,713 posts | 2312 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #829: Apr 02, 2019 08:12:03 pm
      And somehow...he didn't score from that position. Maybe because VVD played it perfectly.

Yes, he did the best he could perfectly. On another day that ball could very well have ended up in the net nonetheless.

As for Sissoko he's all power and no ability the poor lad.

Not a fan of him either, but even for him it was a bad miss. Worse players could've scored that

To be fair, Virgil wasn't actually that far off getting a block in by the time the shot was taken.

Hmm, he was close but not that close, Sissoko still had some time to shoot, but he could've gotten there if Sissoko hesitated a bit longer. Alderweireld or whatever his name is (I never seem able to spell his name correctly) also defended brilliantly against Salah in a 2vs1 situation, though that one wasn't as open as Sissoko's chance
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 15,278 posts | 2862 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #830: Apr 03, 2019 01:13:25 am
      king kenny
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,090 posts | 127 
      Reply #831: Apr 03, 2019 01:45:47 am
      Player of the season hands down!
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,385 posts | 211 
      Reply #832: Apr 03, 2019 01:47:08 pm
      I ran into him on a plane the other day, he had three seats booked, one for him, two for each of his massive balls.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,020 posts | 1098 
      Reply #833: Apr 03, 2019 01:47:38 pm
      Yes, he did the best he could perfectly. On another day that ball could very well have ended up in the net nonetheless.

Not a fan of him either, but even for him it was a bad miss. Worse players could've scored that

Hmm, he was close but not that close, Sissoko still had some time to shoot, but he could've gotten there if Sissoko hesitated a bit longer. Alderweireld or whatever his name is (I never seem able to spell his name correctly) also defended brilliantly against Salah in a 2vs1 situation, though that one wasn't as open as Sissoko's chance

It's true if Sissoko smashes it in some on here would probably blame Van Dijk. However he played the percentages and it came off in his favour.

Sissoko is the type who may have even got the pass wrong if Virgil went to cover the shot. I personally think he's a very poor footballer but I digress.

VVD kept calm under pressure and that is a welcome change from having rash hot heads like Skrtel in the not so distant past.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,208 posts | 2154 
      Reply #834: Apr 03, 2019 01:53:57 pm
      It's true if Sissoko smashes it in some on here would probably blame Van Dijk. However he played the percentages and it came off in his favour.

Sissoko is the type who may have even got the pass wrong if Virgil went to cover the shot. I personally think he's a very poor footballer but I digress.

VVD kept calm under pressure and that is a welcome change from having rash hot heads like Skrtel in the not so distant past.

With Sissoko, his body is too quick for his brain.
      He has the talent, but not the speed of thought to use it properly.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,250 posts | 2355 
      Reply #835: Apr 03, 2019 02:12:50 pm
      I ran into him on a plane the other day, he had three seats booked, one for him, two for each of his massive balls.

I actually DID bump into him at Edinburgh Airport in 2014.

He’s massive but - like most footballers - looked so slight/lean.

Real athletes nowadays these boys.
      heimdall
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,179 posts | 1722 
      Reply #836: Apr 03, 2019 02:40:10 pm
      I actually DID bump into him at Edinburgh Airport in 2014.

He’s massive but - like most footballers - looked so slight/lean.

Real athletes nowadays these boys.

How can someone be massive and slight/lean?? Do you bean he was skinny and tall like Crouch?
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,250 posts | 2355 
      Reply #837: Apr 03, 2019 02:52:29 pm
      How can someone be massive and slight/lean?? Do you bean he was skinny and tall like Crouch?

Somewhat Heimy yes. 6ft 4 but seemed taller because so lean.

Wider shouldered than Crouchie but still not as broad as you expect from the tv.

I’m always surprised when I see today’s players in the flesh - no depth to physique through chest / shoulders.

Not a criticism just my observations - the difference between gym fit and professional athlete fit.......
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,385 posts | 211 
      Reply #838: Apr 03, 2019 02:53:06 pm
      Best player in the Premier League. I don't even know that it's debatable at this point.

Agree mate. Absolute monster - leadership, game intelligence, pace, passing, defending and consistency. All round player of the season for me by an absolute mile.
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,385 posts | 211 
      Reply #839: Apr 03, 2019 02:56:59 pm
      I actually DID bump into him at Edinburgh Airport in 2014.He’s massive but - like most footballers - looked so slight/lean.Real athletes nowadays these boys.

Considering how big he looks on screen, the rest of the lads must be featherlight.

It does explain why he's so quick though, was always wondering how someone so big could be so agile and quick.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,020 posts | 1098 
      Reply #840: Apr 03, 2019 10:12:24 pm
      With Sissoko, his body is too quick for his brain.
      He has the talent, but not the speed of thought to use it properly.

Not sure it's talent as opposed to fast muscle twitch fibres and good conditioning, but yes. Not much going on upstairs.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,314 posts | 2930 
      Reply #841: Apr 03, 2019 11:23:53 pm
      Not sure it's talent as opposed to fast muscle twitch fibres and good conditioning, but yes. Not much going on upstairs.

Then surely he would have been an Olympic sprinter?
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 15,278 posts | 2862 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #842: Apr 03, 2019 11:55:23 pm
      Agree mate. Absolute monster - leadership, game intelligence, pace, passing, defending and consistency. All round player of the season for me by an absolute mile.

what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,164 posts | 3229 
      • @MrPrice1979
      Reply #843: Apr 04, 2019 08:36:01 pm
      He's going to go down as one of our best ever.

I'm certain of that.

https://twitter.com/StatsBomb/status/1113880286729777153?s=19
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,250 posts | 2355 
      Reply #844: Apr 04, 2019 09:35:16 pm

He’s a beaut for sure!
      LondonRed83
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,903 posts | 1097 
      Reply #845: Apr 04, 2019 09:42:38 pm

He’s so f**king good - like crazy good, the best defender I’ve ever seen in my entire life and he plays for Liverpool.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,314 posts | 2930 
      Reply #846: Apr 05, 2019 07:48:59 am
      Stats back up what we all knew he is a beast.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,208 posts | 2154 
      Reply #847: Apr 05, 2019 01:51:38 pm

Once you get to a certain level, there's not huge differences in ability between players, rather, it's all in the mind, how quickly they process information and react to it.

Babel was a great example of this.
      Loads of talent, no brain, so he struggled to convert that talent on the pitch.

VVD on the other hand, well you can tell he's an intelligent fella when you hear him speak, and that shows on the pitch as well.
      So, you have his physical attributes, which alone are formidable, then add in a quick and agile mind, and it puts him way ahead of the majority.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 26,157 posts | 3382 
      Reply #848: Apr 05, 2019 03:46:50 pm
      got a feeling he is going to be in the mood for a clean sheet tonight against his old team mates. He makes the game look far too easy and without having a pop at Matip I think many a forum member could play alongside him and look half decent.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 38,875 posts | 3302 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #849: Apr 05, 2019 04:04:05 pm
      got a feeling he is going to be in the mood for a clean sheet tonight against his old team mates. He makes the game look far too easy and without having a pop at Matip I think many a forum member could play alongside him and look half decent.

But Matip is decent, as he's been proving ???

That's like saying I'm not racist but...
      You are having a pop regardless of how it's worded.

Virgil takes the pressure off the player alongside him but he can't make a player look better than he is, the player has to do that himself. Pressure or no pressure, the player is either decent or he isn't, nobody else is in control of that.

Quick Reply