Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

Virgil van Dijk Player Thread (D)

Read 233759 times
      Arab Scouse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,203 posts | 837 
      Re: Virgil van Dijk Player Thread
      Reply #92: Dec 27, 2017 10:20:49 pm
      I think he is a fantastic defender and there is no other defender better than him in the league.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #93: Dec 27, 2017 10:23:01 pm
      First off the lad is a real talent and has all the tools youn want from a defender including strength, pace, composure.

Second off for 75 million he needs to improve his concentration and consistency. The lad has down toolsed for Soton and I don't give a F**k about that to be honest but it's not been a great look.

He's good but he alone will not solve our defensive woes. The way we play might even expose his weakenesses.

The one positive is he has played in front foot teams at a lesser level when he was at Celtic so he has experience in being a spectator in games but then having to switch on.

Cautiously optimistic but unless we change as a team, unless we sort out a capable candidate to replace the man between the sticks the improvement might well be minimal.

Drop in the ocean for me. The spending must go on and the depth must continue to grow.

But.... good luck Virgil!
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,616 posts | 2159 
      Reply #94: Dec 27, 2017 10:23:03 pm

Don't want to sh*t in anybody's kettle but i don't think we'll see Virgil until he's klopp ready for his debut,
      He's not had the best of seasons thus far, he'll be out of condition, overweight and obviously not familiar with the way we play, it could be a month before we see him,
      Hope I'm wrong but we need to be cautious, last thing we want is for him to get crocked, so lets get him fit & healthy and Klopp is happy to release the beast!

YNWA

Yeah I think he'll ease him in, I expect he'll get a start in the derby in the FA Cup though. I don't think he has played loads this season and his form hasn't been all that great either so hopefully he can show the form we saw last season prior to his injury before too long.
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,182 posts | 1097 
      Reply #95: Dec 27, 2017 10:23:05 pm
      I pray to the sweet lord above that we no longer have to hear how the owners dont support the club and Klopp. What a signing.

Lovern on suicide watch?
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #96: Dec 27, 2017 10:27:43 pm
      A bit premature this, isn't it? We still have four days to F**k it up  :f_whistle:
      verde-rubro
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 2,002 posts | 223 
      Reply #97: Dec 27, 2017 10:38:51 pm
      Tell ye what a back 4 of Gomez, Matip, VVD, Robertson doesn’t look half bad on paper. Get a good keeper in behind that and we could be on our way to the best defence we’ve had in 10 years.

and William Carvalho to sit in front of the back 4 and we would be best defense we’ve had in 10 years.
      Scottbot

• 9,616 posts | 2159 
      Reply #98: Dec 27, 2017 10:53:36 pm
      Most have him penned to play alongside Matip but I'm not sure that's the best fit? You don't see many CB partnerships of two very tall CBs. For the more successful partnerships you always have a Carragher to compliment your Hyppia or  Carvallho to compliment a John Terry. I think most of us are hoping that Gomez can blossom as a ball playing centre-half, he certainly has the attributes to do it alongside a player like VVD. In the mean-time I wouldn't write of Lovren. The manager clearly likes him.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #99: Dec 27, 2017 10:54:11 pm
      Revealed - Liverpool's emergency dash to stop Man City hijacking van Dijk deal

Medical team flown to Bournemouth to complete formalities quickly to prevent any last-ditch hitches

By James Pearce

Liverpool were so concerned that Manchester City would attempt to hijack their £75million move for Virgil van Dijk that they embarked on an emergency dash to the South Coast.

The ECHO understands that the Reds flew a medical team to Bournemouth Airport on Wednesday morning so they were ready to complete the formalities as soon as a fee had been thrashed out with Southampton.

Liverpool were desperate to ensure there was no delay and that Man City didn't have the opportunity to wrestle Van Dijk from their grasp.

Having met Saints' asking price, the Reds were able to conduct van Dijk's medical today and with personal terms of around £180,000 per week already agreed, they were in a position to announce the club record deal five days before the January window opens.

Van Dijk had his heart set on a move to Anfield but Liverpool knew that a counter bid of £75million from Man City - coupled with a bumper wage offer - would have complicated matters and prolonged their pursuit of the Dutch defender.

As it was Liverpool moved quickly and decisively to complete a deal which will delight Jürgen Klopp.

Lessons were learned from last summer when the Reds made a hash of signing van Dijk and ended up issuing an apology and publicly withdrawing their interest after Southampton accused them of making an illegal approach.

In recent months Fenway Sports Group president Mike Gordon has helped to repair relations with Saints, whose hierarchy changed their stance after deciding they would be better off cashing in on van Dijk than keeping an unhappy player.

Liverpool have ended up paying around £15million more than they were looking to shell out last summer but the owners have backed the manager's judgement.

Klopp is convinced that van Dijk, who will wear the No 4 shirt, is the dominant leader the Reds' backline has been lacking during his Anfield reign.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/revealed-liverpools-emergency-dash-stop-14086751
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #100: Dec 27, 2017 11:00:54 pm
      Virgil van Dijk decision underlines why Jürgen Klopp remains Liverpool's best signing

It's happening - and it's primarily down to one man.

The best things, so they say, come to those who wait.

And, boy, did Liverpool test the patience of their supporters with the protracted pursuit of Virgil van Dijk.

Now, though, almost six months after it had been originally anticipated, the end game has been reached.

Van Dijk will become a Liverpool player on January 1.

No ifs. Not buts. No maybes. It's happening. And it's primarily down to one man.

Jürgen Klopp.

Never mind the power of Anfield.

Van Dijk's decision to ignore interest from both Chelsea and, in particular, runaway Premier League leaders Manchester City is the most startling example yet of the power of the Reds boss.

When Fenway Sports Group brought the German to Liverpool in October 2015, they knew they weren't just bringing in a top-class manager and outstanding motivator.

They had also acquired one of the most persuasive men in the game.

Such is the allure of Klopp, whose enthusiasm and vision for Liverpool clearly left a huge impression on van Dijk and his representatives.

Anyone who been fortunate enough to spend time with the Reds boss will know it can be difficult to resist his exuberant, effusive personality, while impossible to ignore the steely determination that lies beneath the often jocular exterior.

And that's what has helped sway van Dijk to not only choose Anfield ahead of Stamford Bridge and the Etihad, but, even more tellingly, put his faith in Klopp ahead of Antonio Conte and Pep Guardiola.

Make no mistake, both Chelsea and City – along with Arsenal – wanted van Dijk. They wanted him back in the summer, and they would happily have taken him during the January transfer window.

But perhaps Liverpool and Klopp just wanted him more, and made that perfectly clear during the initial pitch to the 26-year-old.

Yes, there's the money, with FSG prepared to back Klopp's judgement in the player he regards as pivotal to the next stage of his team's development.

But while the believed £75million cost is an astonishing amount – although when added to the zero transfer fee paid 18 months ago for fellow centre-back Joel Matip, it doesn't look quite as eye-watering – the real statement isn't regarding the size of the fee.

By choosing Liverpool, van Dijk is effectively saying he regards the Reds as long-term competitors to City, Chelsea and the rest.

Even if it was a case of van Dijk simply being a man of his word having, at least privately, made clear his intentions months ago, that also augurs well for Liverpool.

Van Dijk could easily have politely declined the Reds and walked straight into City's squad, a move that almost certainly would have guaranteed a Premier League winners' medal, with a strong likelihood of other immediate silverware.

After all the controversy of the summer, few could have blamed him.

The landscape may have changed since the summer in terms of City's dominance, but it has also shifted regarding Liverpool.

Yes, they remain in the fourth place in which they finished the previous campaign.

But it's clear they are a different proposition to last term, demonstrating great encouragement both in the Premier League and, tellingly, in the Champions League too.

It's why Klopp was so delighted a top-four place was secured back in May. He knew the impact it would have regarding Liverpool's forward momentum, not least signing new players.

Mohamed Salah's impact has been huge. Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain is improving with every outing. And Naby Keita is still to come in the summer.

Klopp, having identified the man he wanted to address an obvious defensive shortcoming, has stuck to his guns, refused to compromise and been rewarded.

Van Dijk's decision will not pass unnoticed. Players pondering a move to Anfield will now see the club and manager are serious in their attempts to place Liverpool back among Europe's elite. Of course, top players have long since been drawn to the Reds. Signing leading talent is nothing new.

But the ramifications of van Dijk's expected arrival will be felt far beyond the heart of Liverpool's defence.

And that, more than anything, is down to Klopp.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/virgil-van-dijk-decision-underlines-14086683
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #101: Dec 27, 2017 11:05:04 pm
      We've got VD!!!
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #102: Dec 27, 2017 11:09:15 pm
      Yeah I think he'll ease him in, I expect he'll get a start in the derby in the FA Cup though. I don't think he has played loads this season and his form hasn't been all that great either so hopefully he can show the form we saw last season prior to his injury before too long.

I agree with billythered and that's why I don't think he will start in that match. Klopp will want to train him and with a match on Jan. 1 and then the Cup match on the 6th, there won't be too much training. I know we just broke the bank for him, but this is how Klopp operates. He wants the players to learn his way. It'll happen soon enough.
      Muzzman1969
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 919 posts | 41 
      Reply #103: Dec 27, 2017 11:37:14 pm
      Well the signing that most of us wanted but few expected.  A big fee but you have to pay it to get what you want/need.

The timing of this just makes me feel even more it was only due to their takeover that he didn't join in the summer. Better late than never.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,437 posts | 3421 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #104: Dec 27, 2017 11:41:40 pm

That deserves a clap
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #105: Dec 27, 2017 11:42:47 pm
      The timing of this just makes me feel even more it was only due to their takeover that he didn't join in the summer. Better late than never.

Or perhaps they were a bit pissed Mane turned out to be such a good deal for us.
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #106: Dec 27, 2017 11:56:55 pm
      Welcome Virgil!

Hope you live up to that price tag lad. Patience  will be needed here those expecting him to start against the blue sh*te and carry us on a run of 30 clean sheets will be in for a shock. I expect him to be Klopp fitness ready somewhere around late Feb/early March.
      harrydunn08

• 5,922 posts | 964 
      Reply #107: Dec 28, 2017 12:08:51 am
      VVD easy as 123... Anyone?..

No?..

How about....

Like a Virgil
      Blocks and tackles all of the time
      Like a Virgil
      Opposition can't get the ball over the line

8)
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #108: Dec 28, 2017 12:20:35 am
      Welcome Virgil!

Hope you live up to that price tag lad. Patience  will be needed here those expecting him to start against the blue sh*te and carry us on a run of 30 clean sheets will be in for a shock. I expect him to be Klopp fitness ready somewhere around late Feb/early March.

He has been playing most games for Saints hasn't he? Are all their players in crap shape or is it just him?
      I reckon he'll be ready for the citeh match ie about 2 weeks of training.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #109: Dec 28, 2017 12:21:30 am
      He has been playing most games for Saints hasn't he?

Miss the first 8/9 games I think, as well as the last 2?
      rossyred

• 9,292 posts | 1664 
      Reply #110: Dec 28, 2017 12:26:34 am
      Hes played 15 games since Sept hardly think that means he is out of shape. He is a CB who wont need as much recovery time as others. See no reason why he shouldnt feature against Everton or City at worst
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #111: Dec 28, 2017 12:30:44 am
      That's inflation for you, Hundred Million Dollar Man & Virgil.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #112: Dec 28, 2017 12:31:54 am

Liverpool have agreed to pay Southampton £75m for Dutch central defender Virgil van Dijk.

It is a world record fee for a defender and will see him move to Anfield after two and a half years at the Saints.

Neil McGuinness works for the Qatar Football Association, but in 2013 was a senior scout at Celtic who was responsible for indentifying the player and his subsequent move from Dutch side Groningen to Celtic Park.

Here he explains why he thinks the Reds have signed a player who can help them move to the next level, what he can still do to improve and why he is reminiscent of former Manchester United and England defender Rio Ferdinand.

When did you first become aware of Van Dijk?

Van Dijk is not the only famous player to have started at Groningen - Ronald Koeman, Arjen Robben and Luis Suarez have all played for the club
      I had started to take note of Virgil back in the middle of 2011 when he was just making his way into the first team at Groningen, mainly appearances from the bench at that time, and I was instantly intrigued by his shape and style.

He went on to become a regular member of the first team and I eventually flew over to watch him in an away game against Vitesse Arnhem in early February 2013.

The specific reason I picked this game was because he was up against [Swansea striker] Wilfried Bony, who at the time was the top scorer in the Dutch league and a really physical striker, so it made sense to see him against the best forward in the league.

He did very well against him in that match and showed everything that I had already seen in him from watching previous games.

He basically confirmed to me that day that he could be a successful player in British football. He had pace, power, height, good feet, and could defend.

Still to this day I am amazed that nobody had taken him out of Groningen sooner.

What kind of defender have Liverpool agreed to sign?

At 6ft 4in Van Dijk is known for winning headers - less well-known is his ability to take free-kicks
      He's everything you would want if you could create a profile of the ideal central defender.

Now 26, he is tall, imposing and very strong in his aerial challenges, both in attack and defence. He has no problems with the physical side of the game and likes to dominate his opponents.

The defender is quick both in acceleration and sustained pace over distance. Virgil is good with his feet and has a great range of passing out from the back, both long and short, and he is accurate with it as well.

Technically he is a very smooth ball-playing defender which is something Liverpool have lacked in recent years.

He is capable of playing as either the right or left-sided centre-back, but most usually deployed in the left centre-back role, although he is right footed.

He will be the dominant centre-back in most pairings due to his height and leap which is impressive in itself.

One thing that fans in England will not have seen too much is his ability from set pieces which is very good.

I watched him many times in training working on these and for such a big guy, he hits free-kicks with real power and accuracy, swerve and dip.

He is also very comfortable going on runs from the back, which is another aspect fans will not have seen too much in the Premier League.

He has strong leadership qualities, always talking on the pitch and he doesn't make that many mistakes which is an area that sets him apart from most central defenders.

For me the glowing comparison is Rio Ferdinand. Both are similar shapes, both good with the ball, both quick and strong in the air.

Rio was the player that sprung to mind when I first started watching Virgil and if he can have half the career Rio did, he will have been a success.

How will he fit in at Liverpool?

Will Dejan Lovren find himself partnering Van Dijk in the centre of Liverpool's defence?
      He adds a new dimension to the team and has a style that manager Jürgen Klopp will be keen to exploit.

Liverpool have a few central defenders - possibly too many now - with Dejan Lovren, Ragnar Klavan, Joel Matip and Joe Gomez.

I think the potential casualty from last season's starting partnership might be Lovren. I can see Klopp favouring the partnership of Matip, who he knows and likes well from his time in Germany, and Van Dijk. He will then have two big powerful centre-backs who both have more technical capability on the ball than Lovren does.

What he can bring to the Liverpool back line that it currently lacks is the ability to play out from the back.

He can drive forward with the ball at the same time as being able to spot a 50-60-yard pass and deliver it with accuracy.

This is a huge, key element to his play and it will add a totally different dimension to the team, with Virgil able to exploit the movement of the likes of Philippe Coutinho and Roberto Firmino.

The other thing he brings to the centre-back pairing is recovery pace, which will allow for a higher line if chosen against certain opponents.

His addition to the defence changes the dynamics of how the team will play and whoever partners him will have some pressure eased when up against the quicker players in the league, knowing that they now have a player alongside them who can keep up with most of the strikers he will face.

Any weaknesses?

Virgil can be as good as he wants to be and it all comes down to focus.

I notice at times that he can switch off when the game is comfortable. That has been his biggest problem.

This could be perhaps down to the fact that he knows he has the recovery pace to deal with anything that gets in behind him but it is definitely an area he needs to work on and one that sets apart the great defenders from the good ones.

The top players can stay fully tuned in for the entire game and if he can work on becoming a lot more complete in his concentration, he will be at that next level.

He has all the tools you would want for his position, but concentration when his team is in a leading position is an area I would say he could improve in.

How would you describe his character?
      In terms of his character he can be the mischievous type, pranks in the dressing room and on the training field.

But those types always fit in well and he will bring good energy with him.

He can come across as shy initially but as he settles into the club he should become a key figure around the training ground and on the park.

He has no problems with screaming at team-mates if they make mistakes but in the same spirit he encourages and looks to bring the confidence of the team up as well.

He is a good fit for what Liverpool currently need and it's a good fit for his continued development. He has had to mature quickly and has done that well.

How good can he become?
      From when he first arrived in Britain to where he is now is a big difference. He is so much more tactically aware now from having played against better players week-in, week-out.

His anticipation and timing has improved and he is a lot more of an all-rounder, rather than being an individual player who was happy to go on mazy runs out from the back.

He has adapted to the change in level from Scotland to England and has become a much more intelligent defender.

I always thought he had everything needed to go to the top which is why I pushed for Celtic to sign him so hard at the time.

I think perhaps scouts and teams maybe saw him as a gamble back when he was becoming a regular at Groningen and wanted to play the long game, perhaps waiting to see how he got on at a bigger Dutch club like Ajax or PSV Eindhoven.

McGuinness is confident that Van Dijk will succeed at Liverpool despite the large fee
      The coaches that I know who worked with him quickly realised just how good a player they had and realised he was destined for bigger things.

The opportunities are all opening up for him now and if he can maintain his work-rate and hunger, he has a huge scope to be remembered as a top player.

I think he is in the top 10 centre-backs in the world - and I honestly believe he can go on to be a great at Liverpool.

Jimsouse67

• 9,490 posts | 1478 
      Reply #113: Dec 28, 2017 12:39:09 am
      Welcome to the greatest club in the world Virgil I'm F***ing over the moon me.
      some may & have questioned the price tag but in a sport
      Were money talks, you either stump up the asking price or some other rival
      Will ( Man City ) that's just the way it is with football these days,
      besides which klopp wanted him and that's the important thing regardless of the price paid.
      That's one part of the defensive issue sorted we just need the other glaring issue sorting & that's the goalkeeper.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #114: Dec 28, 2017 12:41:39 am

Speak for yourself...

Quick Reply