Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Virgil van Dijk Player Thread (D)

Read 228326 times
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Re: Virgil van Dijk Player Thread
      Reply #138: Dec 28, 2017 10:35:02 am
      Sorry but that is mental, do you really think we are going to park a Ā£75 million acquisition on the bench for 2 bloody months and not use him in CL etc, how unfit do you think he is? I think you are doing Southampton a huge disservice here, they may be in a sh*t patch of form at the moment but I'm sure their players, along with all prem players, are of a very high level of fitness, especially the defenders.
      BTW Robertson played almost immediately for us but was kept out of the side by a rebooted Moreno and utility man Milner. The Ox needed a bit more work in terms of new tactics etc, but I'm fairly certain that he was fit enough from the start.

Klopp has gone on record only a few weeks ago when asked about Ox's improved form and he put it down all to timing and missing pre season with us Liverpool not Arsenal indicating a certain level of intensity is required and that he's only at the right level now.

It was only in Klopps first season we had a sh*t load of soft tissue injuries as the players couldn't deal with the intensity levels required.

Offcourse Virgil could be some sort of freak of nature with immense natural athletic ability and start every game until the end of the season. I am just being realistic with my expectations.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #139: Dec 28, 2017 10:43:43 am
      ;D, I guess the Citeh fans say the same after 30 odds years of no investment ;-). There quite simply is no pleasing some people.

I read more of Rib's posts than I do your's, no sh*t.  You consistently chat complete and utter sh*te whilst always looking for bites.

Absolute WUM.
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,321 posts | 1016 
      Reply #140: Dec 28, 2017 11:10:30 am
      Is the reported Ā£180k wage accurate? If so, I wonder what the other lads will think of that. I believe that would make him our highest paid player?
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #141: Dec 28, 2017 11:12:11 am
      ;D, I guess the Citeh fans say the same after 30 odds years of no investment ;-). There quite simply is no pleasing some people.

"No pleasing some people"

Everyone is delighted with the signing.
      Most fans, understandably, are cautious because historically the club has a sell to buy policy
      and the most obvious candidate there is Coutinho.

Could be a case of getting players in the door before a Summer sale. (VvD & Keita)

And no City fans won't be the same because City's owners are busy wiping everyone bar
      PSG away with ridiculous spending that proves FFP was nonsense.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #142: Dec 28, 2017 11:19:22 am
      Why am I still seeing FSG bashing after they spend 75m on a player to fill a problem position? Or more to the point, using this to bash them. Enjoy the signing.

Is the reported Ā£180k wage accurate? If so, I wonder what the other lads will think of that. I believe that would make him our highest paid player?

Makes sense considering he's a club recording signing by over 200%.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #143: Dec 28, 2017 11:26:14 am
      I've been in a daze since last night.

Disputed with someone over the fee the other day on here, but having said that - we're spending as big as 'the big boys'.

Incredibly happy to see no f**king about by the club. Van Dijk is a red, a worthy heir to the Hyypia number 4.

Let's win the Champions League. 😉

Love this :D

Bring on Big Ears #6, with a VvD header sealing a solid 5-0 win over Barca or some minnow of that ilk.

In all seriousness, very happy to wake up to this news this morning in Australia. 630am alarm and I woke up bleary eyed, saw the couple of notifications about the transfer. A text from a mate with a screenshot of VvD's post that simply said "F**k yeh" - I thought I was dreaming to be honest. To have the deal sewn up already, not even January yet, you can forgive me for thinking that I would think! :D

The fella has a lot to live up to unfortunately, and I'm not even talking about the fee - I've long believed fees are outside player control and as such, I believe should not be what we dictate their performance on, rather their wage and what they see themselves as. Unfortunately with how much we are crying out for some stability at the back, the weight of hope is on his shoulders. I fully believe he will be what we need, though, and I think injuries aside the guy will establish himself straight away and hopefully - fingers, toes and balls crossed (don't ask), he will provide a leadership quality we have sorely missed at the back.

Can't F***ing wait to see him in red, and I definitely hope he brings some new memories of big strong as F**k backs wearing #4.
      LFCSTEVE1984
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,729 posts | 408 
      Reply #144: Dec 28, 2017 11:47:03 am
      F**k all gets past him haha might be worth just using him in goal and playing 1 at the back haha

https://youtu.be/4ng5Nb4Cdk0
      trebor12
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,034 posts | 69 
      Reply #145: Dec 28, 2017 12:34:43 pm
      Very good signing even at that amount. Alot of pressure on his shoulders now but that is what he is signing up for and there's no doubt he has ability. Hope this takes some pressure off Migs and Karius also. We haven't looked to bad for a couple of weeks and I think it will be good for our keepers to have that confidence in our 2 CB,s. Lovren doesn't exactly inspire confidence IMO. Hes not consistent enough and our keepers need to know that what's in front of them are consistent  performers. Welcome to LFC VVD  you may find its going to be tougher than you think.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #146: Dec 28, 2017 02:31:00 pm
      I thought it was common knowledge that the Neymar fee changed things for all evaluations. Also Southampton would have accepted 65m had 10m not gone to Celtic. We essentially paid extra because Celtic were smart to put a sell on fee in... Something Rodgers should have done with players like Suso.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #147: Dec 28, 2017 02:48:28 pm
      I thought it was common knowledge that the Neymar fee changed things for all evaluations. Also Southampton would have accepted 65m had 10m not gone to Celtic. We essentially paid extra because Celtic were smart to put a sell on fee in... Something Rodgers should have done with players like Suso.

10%, not Ā£10m.......
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #148: Dec 28, 2017 02:53:21 pm
      I thought 15% so i guesstimated 10m. 10% would be less.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #149: Dec 28, 2017 02:54:18 pm
      I thought 15% so i guesstimated 10m. 10% would be less.

I know. Thanks.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #150: Dec 28, 2017 03:01:43 pm

I don't think we negotiated Suso, he just ran his contract out, so it wasn't a possibility
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #151: Dec 28, 2017 03:44:33 pm
      Itā€™s also not really spending ā€œbigā€.

At best itā€™s the first time in a long time theyā€™ve invested to the level one should reasonably expect from the income generated.

Capital expenditure is vital - especially when ā€œwear and tearā€ can be mental as well as physical in playing staff.

How the F**k do you get 5 votes for saying that Ā£75 million for one player is not spending big?? Were you the kind of guy who also listened to Maureen's latest moan and went "you know what he's right, Ā£300 million just isn't enough".
      ruthcity

• 6,867 posts | 1465 
      Reply #152: Dec 28, 2017 04:23:08 pm
      Whatever it is, Coutinho will pay for the Ā£75m, with excess.

FSG will never spend big and we donā€™t have to worry about that.
      bmck

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #153: Dec 28, 2017 04:27:30 pm
      How the f**k do you get 5 votes for saying that Ā£75 million for one player is not spending big??

Gonna have to agree. It's the record spend for a defender. How is that not spending big?
      Not long ago we'd have missed out, then had guys making excuses, whining about not needing 'marquee' signings etc. - at least we seem to be past that - and agree with Klopp, it won't seem like a lot if he comes in and plays to the level we need him to.
      Massive statement of intent, and an indication of JĆ¼rgen's pulling power.

Don't think he's hit the form he had before he got injured in January, so might need some time before starting games - guess we'll see.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #154: Dec 28, 2017 04:33:42 pm
      I believe the Heimster is referring to m
      Gonna have to agree. It's the record spend for a defender. How is that not spending big?
      Not long ago we'd have missed out, then had guys making excuses, whining about not needing 'marquee' signings etc. - at least we seem to be past that - and agree with Klopp, it won't seem like a lot if he comes in and plays to the level we need him to.
      Massive statement of intent, and an indication of JĆ¼rgen's pulling power.

Don't think he's hit the form he had before he got injured in January, so might need some time before starting games - guess we'll see.

I believe the Heimster is referring to me.

If so - and Iā€™m not sure why people plussed it, but thanks if you did - I was referring to the fact that the totality of that plus the summer still isnā€™t big in the sense of being beyond what we could / should reasonably expect.

We could / should be investing that every year with the income and the ambition we - the fans - have in order to compete.

In the glory days we spent while on top.

Also - letā€™s see if Cou is here in Feb.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #155: Dec 28, 2017 04:53:47 pm
      I believe the Heimster is referring to m
      I believe the Heimster is referring to me.

If so - and Iā€™m not sure why people plussed it, but thanks if you did - I was referring to the fact that the totality of that plus the summer still isnā€™t big in the sense of being beyond what we could / should reasonably expect.

We could / should be investing that every year with the income and the ambition we - the fans - have in order to compete.

In the glory days we spent while on top.

Also - letā€™s see if Cou is here in Feb.

The reality, as I have posted before, is that the club can only spend what it has got and recent record signings actually go beyond that. I'll be the first to admit that FSG have not exactly been setting the transfer world alight since they took over the club but in recent seasons they ARE backing the manager and with considerable sums of money as well so lets all give them the benefit of the doubt and hope that they have turned the corner and are now serious about investing for success.
      BTW it's also the behaviour of someone lining up to sell the club, ie packing the club with assets to boost the value, so either way its all good :-)
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #156: Dec 28, 2017 04:59:59 pm
      The reality, as I have posted before, is that the club can only spend what it has got and recent record signings actually go beyond that. I'll be the first to admit that FSG have not exactly been setting the transfer world alight since they took over the club but in recent seasons they ARE backing the manager and with considerable sums of money as well so lets all give them the benefit of the doubt and hope that they have turned the corner and are now serious about investing for success.
      BTW it's also the behaviour of someone lining up to sell the club, ie packing the club with assets to boost the value, so either way its all good :-)

Not really fella. JĆ¼rgen has a war chest remember......whereā€™s that all gone?

Should certainly be more than the net spend this year including Van Dijk.

Time will tell.

Letā€™s see the position post Cou.
      ruthcity

• 6,867 posts | 1465 
      Reply #157: Dec 28, 2017 06:17:44 pm
      but in recent seasons they ARE backing the manager and with considerable sums of money

Thatā€™s because theyā€™ve tasted blood. The CL money has come in. And theyā€™ve gotten more sponsorship money. Not forgetting higher match day revenue on the new stand.

In any case they still need to run the club responsibly, not spending beyond their means, or theyā€™ll run the club to the ground.
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #158: Dec 28, 2017 10:16:27 pm
      Does the signing of VVD signal the departure of Coutinho in the January window...? or will we see Can,Sturridge, Henderson and others depart in the summer to help fund the move for VVD...? Guess only time will tell
      Baconbutty
      • Forum John Aldridge

• 110 posts | 22 
      Reply #159: Dec 29, 2017 12:08:39 am
      This is an absolutely massive signing for JĆ¼rgen Klopp this one and not just because of the fee either.

Thereā€™s been some murmurings of discontent this season. People have criticised the manager for not addressing the defensive issues that have plagued us since Rodgers and this is, obviously, his way of fixing it.

If it doesnā€™t work, I can see him coming in for heavy criticism at the end of the year if we continue to leak goals and donā€™t win a trophy or secure champions league football next year. The fee will only make that worse. If we then start poorly next season despite the Keita signing, heā€™ll be under massive pressure.

If it doesnā€™t pan out like that, and Van Dijk is the man to come in and make a difference defensively.. Well, weā€™ve got ourselves a f**king team havenā€™t we. So many times this year Iā€™ve said ā€œImagine we could defend - weā€™d be unstoppableā€. Well letā€™s hope we sort our sh*t out and go and do it.

As I said earlier, this feels like a massive signing to me; the outcome of which may ultimately shape the next few years for us and define JĆ¼rgenā€™s time here.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #160: Dec 29, 2017 12:13:37 am
      Does the signing of VVD signal the departure of Coutinho in the January window...? or will we see Can,Sturridge, Henderson and others depart in the summer to help fund the move for VVD...? Guess only time will tell

I know, just imagine running the club like an on-going concern when the Portsmouth, Sheffield Wednesday and Leeds method is so successful.

Quick Reply