Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Virgil van Dijk Player Thread (D)

Read 228296 times
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Re: Virgil van Dijk Player Thread
      Reply #161: Dec 29, 2017 12:24:24 am
      Does the signing of VVD signal the departure of Coutinho in the January window...? or will we see Can,Sturridge, Henderson and others depart in the summer to help fund the move for VVD...? Guess only time will tell
      Hendo, Clyne, Sturridge, Mignolet, Bogdan, Flanagan, Markovic can go perminantly.
      Woodburn, Ings and Grujic can go on loan.

I would keep Hendo until the summer.
      It might seem harsh on Clyne, but I think the rest of his career will be hampered by injuries. Bad backs will be a problem for him and I sense an earlier retirement from him.
      Arab Scouse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,080 posts | 805 
      Reply #162: Dec 29, 2017 09:35:05 am
      Here is a small analysis of mine for anyone who hasn't seen enough of him. I've watched some of his games last season and I thought he was a really good player:

- Physically strong, could easily shake off big physical players.
      - Strong in the air, I've actually rarely see him lose a header in any duel, he's probably the strongest in this department than any other defender in the league, so it's quite important that we have a player like that.
      - Excellent in tackling and excellent at reading the game. He is tactically really good - Commanding.
      - extremely quick for such a big defender, especially when he carries the ball forward.
      - A Good footballer, not the Jamie Carragher or John Terry type footballer who just hoof the ball at every opportunity. He's actually composed, a good passer and great at set pieces (shooting freekicks too! - watch out Coutinho you have some competition)

Pundits can criticize the fee as much as they want so can other fans, but to be honest I don't see any other defender who has the same abilities as VVD at this moment as he is the BEST out there in terms of quality. He might not be a 75m player but who the f*ck cares really.
      I think Klopp was looking for another Hummels and liked what he saw in VVD. He might not solve all of our problems at the back (we still need to solve our GK situation) but I believe he will definitely solve some of our problems because he's a huge upgrade on Matip and Lovren.

Anyways, just be happy we signed a very very good player and we are moving on the right track.
      redkop63
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #163: Dec 29, 2017 10:39:22 am
      Neville having a pop at the fee. After his former club let a player go for free to then bring him back for best part of 100mill.

Wahhhhkakakaka. Who would do such a dumb thing except for our bitter rival.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #164: Dec 29, 2017 11:05:02 am
      Not really fella. Jürgen has a war chest remember......where’s that all gone?

Should certainly be more than the net spend this year including Van Dijk.

Time will tell.

Let’s see the position post Cou.

Can you please tell me how big the war chest is and how much money LFC has available left to spend, after Salah, VVD, Robertson, Solanke and Chamberlain? You seem to be remarkably well informed on this, certainly more than I am on the internal finances at the club.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #165: Dec 29, 2017 11:21:21 am
      Can you please tell me how big the war chest is and how much money LFC has available left to spend, after Salah, VVD, Robertson, Solanke and Chamberlain? You seem to be remarkably well informed on this, certainly more than I am on the internal finances at the club.

From the guy who just opined earlier that we don’t have the money thus showing a remarkable knowledge of the inner finances.......

Make your mind up dude.

Otherwise gimme peace and just bark at the moon ;)

Laters.

heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #166: Dec 29, 2017 12:54:28 pm
      From the guy who just opined earlier that we don’t have the money thus showing a remarkable knowledge of the inner finances.......

Make your mind up dude.

Otherwise gimme peace and just bark at the moon ;)

Laters.

Answer my question please, what is the clubs warchest and transfer budget, according to you we have money left, I'd like to know how much. From my pov we are actually spending a lot already.
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #167: Dec 29, 2017 03:03:05 pm
      I'm delighted with the purchase. We could have got him cheaper in the summer, but hey, we dithered, screwed up and paid for it by leaking goals unnecessarily. Can't be undone, move on. We've been crying out for a top class defender for years. Not since the Hyppia/Carra partnership have we had a solid defense. Perhaps Carra / Agger partnership briefly, but that's a very long time ago.

So we spent 75 mil, so be it, it's easily THE biggest area of concern of many years so it's a worthwhile investment. Lovren should be dropped and I can see VDV / Matip partnership as a solid one. Both excellent in the air, both can pass and dribble with the ball, both strong and VDV has the pace that Matip doesn't. I'm very, very optimistic.

My only concern is that people might pile on the pressure on VDV for rest of the season. I hope it won't take long for him to settle, but piling on unnecessary pressure would just be shooting ourselves in the foot.

When Keita comes in next year to provide better cover for the defense than the likes of Hendo, Can and Gini...we have a very bright future ladies and gents.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #168: Dec 29, 2017 04:01:55 pm
      What's the world record one year will be the expected price next year. All good CB will probably cost that now. It's not Liverpool's fault with VVD. The Neymar sale inflated everything. If it weren't for that, 55m would have landed him.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #169: Dec 29, 2017 04:19:11 pm
      Transfer fees are not set in isolation, so comparing them is always tricky... he probably would have been cheaper if he wasn't coming out of the Premier League, or if he didn't have recently signed a new long-term contract, that sort of thing.

Just a few years ago, I'd have expected a player such as Sigurdsson, moving from Swansea to Everton, to have cost somewhere around 15m, and van Dijk maybe somewhere around 25m.

Things have changed a lot recently, Sigurdsson moved for 40m and van Dijk 75m.

Ultimately it will all come down to how good he is for us, and what he wins for the club.

United once paid 30m for Rio Ferdinand, back in the days when 30m was a ridiculous sum of money. If you adjust for transfers inflation, Rio was probably more expensive to United then, than van Dijk is now for us. But nowadays no one even bothers to mention how much he cost, because he proved to be an extremely influential player in a very successful side.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #170: Dec 29, 2017 05:33:30 pm
      I'm delighted with the purchase. We could have got him cheaper in the summer, but hey, we dithered,

It was more the lack of dithering that screwed this up in the summer.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #171: Dec 29, 2017 07:18:04 pm

Celtic goalkeeper Craig Gordon is convinced former team-mate Virgil van Dijk is worth his £75m price tag.

The Dutch defender, who was at Celtic from 2013-15, will join Liverpool from Southampton on 1 January.

"The bigger the game the better he plays and he's probably the best player I have played with," Gordon said.

"It's over £100m for a striker now so for somebody who can stop them?
      He could have eight years at Liverpool, so it could be good value for money."

Van Dijk, 26, joined Celtic for £2.5m in 2013 and moved to Southampton for £13m two years later. Celtic included a sell-on clause which means they receive a significant sum - thought to be 10% of the transfer fee - when the deal is finalised.

"He's without doubt the best centre half that I have every played with," Gordon added.
      "He has absolutely everything to go on and become one of the great centre halves in world football.
      He's a fantastic footballer and I'm sure he'll do a great job at Liverpool.

"He'd be the benchmark for anyone coming through here to aspire to.

"Every time you see him play it looks so easy for him. He really can do everything, you could probably play him anywhere, he's so quick and strong, he can head it and can even score free-kicks.

"He really is a complete football player. There's not too many centre halves in world football that can play that style of play that people are looking for at the top clubs, to be that comfortable on the ball and to be able to defend. You'll really see the best of him and he will show what a good buy he will be for Liverpool."

Celtic boss Brendan Rodgers, who managed Liverpool from 2012-15, added: "Virgil has gone to a brilliant club where every aspect of you as a player is tested. He looks a great talent.

"He just has to go and work and play, and I'm sure he'll do very well."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42512783

True what he says.

Clubs are paying 100 milion for a top striker so ... what do you pay for a top defender to stop them ?

« Last Edit: Dec 29, 2017 07:28:24 pm by MIRO »
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #172: Dec 29, 2017 07:54:08 pm
      Neville having a pop at the fee.
      After his former club let a player go for free to then bring him back for best part of 100mill.

Muu  Ha Ha.
      That was madness that deal for Pogba.

Who is doing the moaning again?

Neville, Shearer and Maureen. Usual suspects.

king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,111 posts | 441 
      Reply #173: Dec 30, 2017 03:11:42 am
      It is a big fee but for me if he sets the standard for our defence and is the best defender  then it is worth it.  And the transfer was successful.  We have had a few cracking buys in Salah, Mane and Robertson which collectively cost around the money VVD.  But we aren't going to get these deals all the time and when we do we should reward ourselves.  If only we could be boldly address the goal keeper situation likewise.   We will take a giant step towards winning silverware.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #174: Dec 30, 2017 08:39:50 am

Celtic goalkeeper Craig Gordon is convinced former team-mate Virgil van Dijk is worth his £75m price tag.

The Dutch defender, who was at Celtic from 2013-15, will join Liverpool from Southampton on 1 January.

"The bigger the game the better he plays and he's probably the best player I have played with," Gordon said.

"It's over £100m for a striker now so for somebody who can stop them?
      He could have eight years at Liverpool, so it could be good value for money."

Van Dijk, 26, joined Celtic for £2.5m in 2013 and moved to Southampton for £13m two years later. Celtic included a sell-on clause which means they receive a significant sum - thought to be 10% of the transfer fee - when the deal is finalised.

"He's without doubt the best centre half that I have every played with," Gordon added.
      "He has absolutely everything to go on and become one of the great centre halves in world football.
      He's a fantastic footballer and I'm sure he'll do a great job at Liverpool.

"He'd be the benchmark for anyone coming through here to aspire to.

"Every time you see him play it looks so easy for him. He really can do everything, you could probably play him anywhere, he's so quick and strong, he can head it and can even score free-kicks.

"He really is a complete football player. There's not too many centre halves in world football that can play that style of play that people are looking for at the top clubs, to be that comfortable on the ball and to be able to defend. You'll really see the best of him and he will show what a good buy he will be for Liverpool."

Celtic boss Brendan Rodgers, who managed Liverpool from 2012-15, added: "Virgil has gone to a brilliant club where every aspect of you as a player is tested. He looks a great talent.

"He just has to go and work and play, and I'm sure he'll do very well."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42512783

True what he says.

Clubs are paying 100 milion for a top striker so ... what do you pay for a top defender to stop them ?

Sound enough logic.

If we ship less goals and have someone who is gonna lead from the back, it'll be £75m well spent.
      Pear
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,275 posts | 79 
      • Me, i always tell the truth, even when i lie.
      Reply #175: Dec 30, 2017 06:18:11 pm
      OK, great news, he is a good player but way overpriced, but if that is the best we can get at this moment than ok. Here is a taught: How good was Jaap Stam in the time when he went from Man Utd to Lazio when he was payed 25.5 milion euros...
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #176: Dec 30, 2017 06:23:48 pm
      OK, great news, he is a good player but way overpriced, but if that is the best we can get at this moment than ok. Here is a taught: How good was Jaap Stam in the time when he went from Man Utd to Lazio when he was payed 25.5 milion euros...

Not as good as Virgil.

In my humble opinion. Legs were going......
      Pear
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,275 posts | 79 
      Reply #177: Dec 30, 2017 06:27:07 pm
      Not as good as Virgil.

In my humble opinion. Legs were going......
      You honestly thinks so?
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #178: Dec 30, 2017 06:30:57 pm

I do Pear - not hyperbole.

I know Stam HAD the medals and was a fine defender (god that pains me) but yes - I think Virgil IS that good.

I’ve said it since we were first linked 18 months or so back, I was desperate for ya to get him from Celtic.
      Pear
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,275 posts | 79 
      Reply #179: Dec 30, 2017 06:33:48 pm
      I just compared them, Van Dijk scored a lot more goals than Stam but VVD played for Groningen, Celtic and Southampton in his best years while Stam spent those years in PSV, Lazio, Man Utd an Milan... i think that is incomparable...
      Alfie2510
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,572 posts | 351 
      Reply #180: Dec 30, 2017 06:35:48 pm
      Couldn’t care less about the money. Sometimes you over pay for a player, sometimes you underpay.
      To me even in this market he’s a £45M player. However we got Salah for £36M and he is now worth 3 times that so swings and roundabouts
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #181: Dec 30, 2017 06:36:23 pm
      I just compared them, Van Dijk scored a lot more goals than Stam but VVD played for Groningen, Celtic and Southampton in his best years while Stam spent those years in PSV, Lazio, Man Utd an Milan... i think that is incomparable...

Yeh.......but he never played for the biggest club ;)

Virgil has yet to hit his peak.

We’re not comparing careers - no two inviduals in any sport have the same arc.

Look back in 10 years.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #182: Jan 01, 2018 12:42:46 am
      VVD ..... nice G Wagen.  Looks a Kahn conversion.  Racer would know.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #183: Jan 01, 2018 10:25:19 am
      Officially a red......but we all knew that since August right 😜

https://twitter.com/livecholfc/status/947775766326018048

Quick Reply