Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Virgil van Dijk Player Thread (D)

Read 228335 times
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Re: Virgil van Dijk Player Thread
      Reply #460: Nov 04, 2018 03:44:54 am
      Thought he was brilliant on both end of the pitch.

World Class.
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #461: Nov 04, 2018 07:24:51 am
      Another brilliant performance from the big man. Player of the season by a country mile thus far.
      Arab Scouse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,080 posts | 805 
      Reply #462: Nov 04, 2018 09:36:25 am
      that one on one with the keeper, the way he chested it down with his excellent first touch, unlucky not to score that!!!
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #463: Nov 04, 2018 10:07:28 am
      Quote from srslfc
      Exactly.

He doesn't need the armband and the clamour to strip Henderson of the armband is a little weird for me.

Hendo is not a leader, that's why. A captain has to be a natural leader. Someone to inspire his teammates, the fans, intimidate the opposition, dig us out of a spot when required, calm everyone down when they're panicking. When did Hendo last do that? Has he ever? He went awol in Kiev, while his counterpart literally got stuck in.

VVD is a natural leader and already the players choice to be captain. And he's not even here a year yet, let alone 7. He doesn't go missing, he doesn't have bad games, he's often motm. Having him captain is a no-brainer.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #464: Nov 04, 2018 10:10:53 am
      He was really great again yesterday but he should have scored having done that hard bit first and it would have won us the game and that's the difference between being exceptional and World Class. He was head and shoulders MOTM but lets not hang any accolades round his neck just yet give the lad a chance.
      bmck

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #465: Nov 04, 2018 07:27:35 pm
      Best centre back in the world imho right now, there is literally nobody I'd swap him for. What a signing. A snip at 75mill.

Only watched the post match with Jürgen there while ago, where it sounded like he said something like he might not have been the greatest defender, but he'd have scored goals today with VVDs chances - just having a bit of a laugh, but also letting VVD know he should be putting those away - and I'd agree with him.  He should be nicking the odd goal for us.

What a goal that would have been, when Mane hit a long one to him, takes it on his chest and sidefoots it - but into the keepers chest. Anywhere else, and given his general performance, to top it with a goal, the floor would still be soaked.
      Diamond__Dog
      • On Trial

• 4 posts |
      Reply #466: Nov 05, 2018 07:02:27 am
      Trent was out of position all night I agree mate........but watch again - VVD let’s Lacazette run off him then compounds it by not covering the net.

He let his man go - and his man scored.......that’s culpability in any language.

Otherwise he was brilliant, again.

Incorrect. First you need to recognize the situation: It was a throughball that prompted a run from Lacazette. 'Run off him' is not relevant since a throughball is very hard to defend and usually combatted by the offside trap. Also, it was zonal marking, not man-marking so it wasn't vvd's man.

Second, the space between Lacazette and Allison was not big plus the keeper was already out of his goal and committed to intercept. VVD was wise not to engage to Lacazette since Becker bought time for Gomez and TAA to interfere/block the path while van dijk went to the free man in the middle to prevent a tap-in. Logic: Allison, TAA and Gomez vs Lacazette should be enough to prevent a shot at goal and it would make more sense to guard the free man in the middle to prevent a tapin. Conclusion: vvd was not at fault, TAA, Becker and Gomez could have done better. Especially TAA who went asleep, hoping for the offside flag and was very slow to react.
      « Last Edit: Nov 05, 2018 07:11:36 am by Diamond__Dog »
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #467: Nov 05, 2018 07:32:52 am
      Incorrect. First you need to recognize the situation: It was a throughball that prompted a run from Lacazette. 'Run off him' is not relevant since a throughball is very hard to defend and usually combatted by the offside trap. Also, it was zonal marking, not man-marking so it wasn't vvd's man.

Second, the space between Lacazette and Allison was not big plus the keeper was already out of his goal and committed to intercept. VVD was wise not to engage to Lacazette since Becker bought time for Gomez and TAA to interfere/block the path while van dijk went to the free man in the middle to prevent a tap-in. Logic: Allison, TAA and Gomez vs Lacazette should be enough to prevent a shot at goal and it would make more sense to guard the free man in the middle to prevent a tapin. Conclusion: vvd was not at fault, TAA, Becker and Gomez could have done better. Especially TAA who went asleep, hoping for the offside flag and was very slow to react.

I recognise it just fine.

It is VVDs man whether it’s zonal or not. He’s the CB and there’s no one to pass him to.

I think the other three could all have done better AFTER that fact but it was his error which created the imbalance in defence.

Good effort ;)
      Diamond__Dog
      • On Trial

• 4 posts |
      Reply #468: Nov 05, 2018 07:50:02 am
      I recognise it just fine.

It is VVDs man whether it’s zonal or not. He’s the CB and there’s no one to pass him to.

I think the other three could all have done better AFTER that fact but it was his error which created the imbalance in defence.

Good effort ;)

Ehm no. Since it's zonal, the defensive line has to hold, meaning that the one closest to the dangerman will close in. In this case a free man was in the middle while TAA and Gomez were closer to Lacazette since he moved to the rightside, I will also remind you that Van dijk is a left central defender.

A throughball is a throughball. The only 'fault' you can find is that it wasn't intercepted/offside trap wasn't executed properly. Positionally van dijk was where he should have been while TAA was far too wide and dreaming. (Just like the Chelsea goal) Gomez could also have followed Lacazette better. (He also could have positioned himself wider for the Chelsea goal).

I don't want to embarrass you or anything, just pointing out your error in thinking. It's defending 101 and unfortunatyely a lot of people just don't understand the intricacies.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #469: Nov 05, 2018 08:07:05 am
      Ehm no. Since it's zonal, the defensive line has to hold, meaning that the one closest to the dangerman will close in. In this case a free man was in the middle while TAA and Gomez were closer to Lacazette since he moved to the rightside, I will also remind you that Van dijk is a left central defender.

A throughball is a throughball. The only 'fault' you can find is that it wasn't intercepted/offside trap wasn't executed properly. Positionally van dijk was where he should have been while TAA was far too wide and dreaming. (Just like the Chelsea goal) Gomez could also have followed Lacazette better. (He also could have positioned himself wider for the Chelsea goal).

I don't want to embarrass you or anything, just pointing out your error in thinking. It's defending 101 and unfortunatyely a lot of people just don't understand the intricacies.

Your me not embarrassing me sunshine. Remotely.

You are just shouting an opinion based on a very flawed understanding of zonal.

Trust me after coaching for a long time I understand what I see. In that situation he has to go with his man because the line is breached. Gomez could also have closed the gap. 

Good luck to you on here - you might wanna draft in a little bit of humility if you’re planning hanging round.

Diamond__Dog
      • On Trial

• 4 posts |
      Reply #470: Nov 05, 2018 08:19:11 am
      Your me not embarrassing me sunshine. Remotely.

You are just shouting an opinion based on a very flawed understanding of zonal.

Trust me after coaching for a long time I understand what I see. In that situation he has to go with his man because the line is breached. Gomez could also have closed the gap. 

Good luck to you on here - you might wanna draft in a little bit of humility if you’re planning hanging round.

The opinion is based on my sensibility and experience. Also coaching for a long time does not warrant any monopoly on wisdom nor truth. I do give people the benefit of the doubt at first, but I have to correct you here I'm afraid.

Just look at the distance between Lacazette and the goalkeeper and the position of the defenders @81:16. Since Lacazette was sprinting to the opposite direction of van dijk it would leave a huge gap if he followed him. Also Lacazette was so fast, van dijks sprint would be for nought while also leaving a big gap in the middle Walbeck easily could exploit for a tap in.

Also you say it 'compounds' by not covering the net. Would it be easier to aim for the goal with two/three players interfering or easier to lay it off to a free Walbeck for an easy tap in? It should be clear now.
      « Last Edit: Nov 05, 2018 08:23:54 am by Diamond__Dog »
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #471: Nov 05, 2018 08:27:49 am
      The opinion is based on my sensibility and experience. Also coaching for a long time does not warrant any monopoly on wisdom nor truth. I do give people the benefit of the doubt at first, but I have to correct you here I'm afraid.

Just look at the distance between Lacazette and the goalkeeper and the position of the defenders @21:16. Since Lacazette was sprinting to the opposite direction of van dijk it would leave a huge gap if he followed him. Also Lacazette was so fast, van dijks sprint would be for nought while also leaving a big gap in the middle Walbeck easily could exploit for a tap in.

Also you say it 'compounds' by not covering the net. Would it be easier to aim for the goal with two/three players interfering or easier to lay it off to a free Walbeck for an easy tap in? It should be clear now.

You’re just digging and that’s just noise with no apparent base of understanding. Fair enough 🙄

I’ve already stated clearly my views. On Saturday he could and should have done better with the goal - that’s my sincere and pretty informed view. It doesn’t make it the only view.

For the record I  wouldn’t swap VVD for anyone else in world football and I banged the drum to spend big and get him for a long time......so be clear I’m talking about marginal improvements in an exceptional player.

Good luck to you.....
      Diamond__Dog
      • On Trial

• 4 posts |
      Reply #472: Nov 05, 2018 08:41:34 am
      I do agree that he could have intercepted the throughball or executed the offside trap, but the run of Lacazette did not put any blame on van dijk for the reasons I already mentioned. You're welcome to have a different view, but I felt the need to give my take on it since I feel this isn't the first time vvd gets blame for nothing. (The second PSG goal for instance or the Cardiff goal)

It's not about vvd, he has flaws in his game, just like Gomez and especially TAA. But what annoys me is how people can miss details and overrate player performances. For instance how Gomez made multiple mistakes that were being ignored which is fine, but then I see how people give him a 9. If Lovren made these mistakes he would have been called out for it. Im probably in the minority that prefer Lovren in the centre with van dijk and Gomez at RB. Can't tell how Clybe is rated by Klopp but TAA must grow/regain his form or be loaned out imo. He's a liablity the opposition will try to exploit.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #473: Nov 05, 2018 09:55:58 am
      I do agree that he could have intercepted the throughball or executed the offside trap, but the run of Lacazette did not put any blame on van dijk for the reasons I already mentioned. You're welcome to have a different view, but I felt the need to give my take on it since I feel this isn't the first time vvd gets blame for nothing. (The second PSG goal for instance or the Cardiff goal)

It's not about vvd, he has flaws in his game, just like Gomez and especially TAA. But what annoys me is how people can miss details and overrate player performances. For instance how Gomez made multiple mistakes that were being ignored which is fine, but then I see how people give him a 9. If Lovren made these mistakes he would have been called out for it. Im probably in the minority that prefer Lovren in the centre with van dijk and Gomez at RB. Can't tell how Clybe is rated by Klopp but TAA must grow/regain his form or be loaned out imo. He's a liablity the opposition will try to exploit.

Interesting views - some of which I agree with and some I don’t (which is cool 😎).

Not sure TAA needs a loan but he has definitely struggled enormously this season for me and is causing some stress as Gomez is drawn into that channel to cover.

Like I say - good luck to you on here.

PS: I’m curious - where are you from?
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #474: Nov 07, 2018 10:19:23 pm
      Needs to come under scrutiny after that performance. I am seeing people all over Alisson for his performance but Virgil was awful and culpable for the first goal. His poor headed clearance back to the center of the field lead to a shot brilliantly saved for the corner we conceded.

His positioning, awareness, and marking for the corner was woeful and way too easy for their striker to burst his way through. He was bullied by the lump all night for context the guy he was bullied by was playing in the Serbian second division 2 years ago and cost 300k. Certainly made light work of the worlds most expensive defender.

It's nothing personal against Virgil before anyone starts shouting out "Lovren fan boy" but I'm always calling a spade a spade and if we're going to be critical of individuals and their performances let's then be consistent in that. Nobody could walk away with their heads held up high after last night and that includes Virgil.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #475: Nov 07, 2018 10:21:44 pm
      Needs to come under scrutiny after that performance. I am seeing people all over Alisson for his performance but Virgil was awful and culpable for the first goal. His poor headed clearance back to the center of the field lead to a shot brilliantly saved for the corner we conceded.

His positioning, awareness, and marking for the corner was woeful and way too easy for their striker to burst his way through. He was bullied by the lump all night for context the guy he was bullied by was playing in the Serbian second division 2 years ago and cost 300k. Certainly made light work of the worlds most expensive defender.

It's nothing personal against Virgil before anyone starts shouting out "Lovren fan boy" but I'm always calling a spade a spade and if we're going to be critical of individuals and their performances let's then be consistent in that. Nobody could walk away with their heads held up high after last night and that includes Virgil.

A couple of mistakes no doubt but bullied all night that’s just OTT.

Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #476: Nov 07, 2018 11:40:23 pm
      A couple of mistakes no doubt but bullied all night that’s just OTT.

The lad had him on the aerial duels all night. I will also add that along with our midfield 3 he didn't win a tackle all night...fact.

OTT is saying that Virgil is sh*te and not worth the money, I'm pointing out he was at fault and had a poor game and shouldn't be immune from criticism in this instance. No different from the other 10 players that took the field.
      « Last Edit: Nov 07, 2018 11:47:10 pm by Dadorious »
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #477: Nov 08, 2018 06:58:57 am
      Hendo is not a leader, that's why. A captain has to be a natural leader. Someone to inspire his teammates, the fans, intimidate the opposition, dig us out of a spot when required, calm everyone down when they're panicking. When did Hendo last do that? Has he ever? He went awol in Kiev, while his counterpart literally got stuck in.

VVD is a natural leader and already the players choice to be captain. And he's not even here a year yet, let alone 7. He doesn't go missing, he doesn't have bad games, he's often motm. Having him captain is a no-brainer.

This.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #478: Nov 08, 2018 09:49:41 am

he must  have hated Stevie then because he was not a natural leader or Capt he inspired by his efforts not by organising or motivating his team mates. Despite this he still managed to be a pretty good Capt.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #479: Nov 08, 2018 01:00:42 pm

OK, all the lads who have played with him who have spoken about his outstanding leadership qualities are wrong, and you're right.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #480: Nov 08, 2018 01:34:43 pm
      OK, all the lads who have played with him who have spoken about his outstanding leadership qualities are wrong, and you're right.

:lmao:
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #481: Nov 09, 2018 11:59:33 pm
      Quote from waltonl4
      he must  have hated Stevie then because he was not a natural leader or Capt he inspired by his efforts not by organising or motivating his team mates. Despite this he still managed to be a pretty good Capt.

He was not just an inspirational leader, he has a cupboard full of winners medals from this cup and that cup. He chipped in with 186 goals, often at the exact time we needed it, and is one of the club's greatest ever players.

Hendo is not in the top 200. If it was him instead of Steve that night against Olympiakos, he would have chipped it aimlessly into the box straight to the keeper as he has in the past and still does, rather than rifle it home from 25 yards as Steve did. Leading by example and seizing the initiative at the vital moment is what the great captains do.
      Scottbot

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #482: Nov 10, 2018 07:17:07 am
      The lad is comfortably our player of the season so far and a contender for player of the year in my book. I think he’ll prove to be one of the best signings the club has ever made.

Quick Reply