Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Virgil van Dijk Player Thread (D)

Read 228264 times
      redindian
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,955 posts | 234 
      Re: Virgil van Dijk Player Thread
      Reply #483: Nov 11, 2018 04:40:54 pm
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #484: Nov 14, 2018 06:09:09 pm
      Captain against Fulham.

When their effort is disallowed, he tells Alisson to get the move going and catch the opposition on the hop. 10 seconds later, the ball is in the net. Awareness. Initiative. Leadership.

By the time Hendo comes on, the game is in the bag and he has nothing to do.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #485: Nov 14, 2018 06:23:26 pm
      OK, all the lads who have played with him who have spoken about his outstanding leadership qualities are wrong, and you're right.

It's beyond me why some people so desperately need Virgil to have the armband?

He acts like a captain armband or not and constantly calling for him to get the armband is stuff you'd expect to hear from a child not grown ups.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #486: Nov 14, 2018 06:29:06 pm

He acts like a captain armband or not and constantly calling for him to get the armband is stuff you'd expect to hear from a child not grown ups.

Very little to do with VVD in most cases, sadly Si.

The “acceptable” face of Hendo baiting.

Sad.
      « Last Edit: Nov 14, 2018 06:36:21 pm by Scotia »
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #487: Nov 14, 2018 06:38:37 pm
      Very little to do with VVD in most cases, sadly Si.

The acceptable face of Hendo baiting.

Sad.

It makes little sense to me, especially the "I never want to see Henderson in a red shirt again" or other such nonsense, like the almost giddy glee because people thought Fabinho had been bought to replace Henderson.

It's not like Klopp is reading and says to himself "oh my lord, 'poster x' is upset, I must immediately drop Henderson".

As far as VVD and the armband goes, this is spot on;

FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #488: Nov 14, 2018 06:41:08 pm
      Endless arguments over a piece of stretchy elastic.  Suppose it's better than going round in circles about rafa/fsg, only marginally though
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,963 posts | 3944 
      Reply #489: Nov 14, 2018 07:27:38 pm
      Captain against Fulham.

When their effort is disallowed, he tells Alisson to get the move going and catch the opposition on the hop. 10 seconds later, the ball is in the net. Awareness. Initiative. Leadership.

The incomprehensible vitriol is shared between Rafa and Henderson it seems.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #490: Nov 16, 2018 10:08:54 am
      Captain against Fulham.

As much as I think VVD should be club captain, I think it speaks volume about the level of respect he has for our actual club captain because as soon as Hendo was on the pitch, Virgil was going over to him to give him back the armband. Whether it’s our choice or not, Hendo is club captain and he clearly has the respect of the team. Virgil doesn’t need the armband ultimately, it makes no difference to his game, he will be just as vocal, just as commanding and display the exact same leadership. Unless you think that without the armband he wouldn’t have told Alisson to quickly get the play going again?...
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #491: Nov 17, 2018 11:25:12 pm
      It's more than a piece of elastic. The captain has to be a natural leader, as I said before.

If VVD was captain, I don't think he would have gone missing in Kiev. Handing Hendo the armband last week, was less about respect, and more about team policy. If Hendo is out there, he has it automatically.

This is not to say Hendo shouldn't be out there, he does a solid, functional job adequately enough, but you need more qualities than that to be captain imo.
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,321 posts | 1016 
      Reply #492: Nov 19, 2018 10:33:41 pm
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #493: Nov 19, 2018 10:52:30 pm
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #494: Nov 20, 2018 07:48:56 am
      Yes but imagine doing a coin toss with VVD standing opposite you as opposed to Jordan, that little bit of extra intimidation can spread through a team.

I am one who believes VVD should be captain as he wants to be a winner.Also he scored a cracker of a goal in the international.
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #495: Nov 20, 2018 08:57:30 am
      Top man. Nice vid of him doing the rounds comforting the ref from the Netherlands - Germany match as his mother recently passed.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #496: Nov 20, 2018 09:20:26 am
      Top man. Nice vid of him doing the rounds comforting the ref from the Netherlands - Germany match as his mother recently passed.

True leader that kid..
      molbys belly
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,537 posts | 123 
      Reply #497: Nov 20, 2018 09:49:02 am
      Great finish last night from the big man
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #498: Nov 20, 2018 11:34:04 am

He's a classy guy and a superb footballer.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      Reply #499: Nov 20, 2018 12:13:07 pm
      Top player and more importantly a top bloke
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #500: Nov 20, 2018 12:31:49 pm
      What a finish that was.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #501: Nov 20, 2018 01:00:36 pm
      How F***ing good is he? Unbelievable talent
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #502: Nov 20, 2018 02:31:08 pm

El Capitano  methinks Shabs.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #503: Nov 20, 2018 04:48:20 pm
      I am one who believes VVD should be captain as he wants to be a winner.Also he scored a cracker of a goal in the international.
      Even if VVD weren't captain, Henderson shouldn't be. Henderson can't take good penalties and for me a captain should be able to do that. Henderson missed one in the world cup, nobody remembers because England still won. He also missed against Atletico Madrid. The ones he scored never convinced me he should take a penalty. I think if Van Dijk took a penalty he'd actually put a hole in the neck of the net

Being able to take a good penalty means ability to perform under pressure. It's a good measuring stick. If you look at good captains, they are good penalty takers... just look at Gerrard and dare I say Kane and Shearer?
      « Last Edit: Nov 20, 2018 04:54:01 pm by Ribapuru »
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #504: Nov 20, 2018 04:53:48 pm
      Even if VVD weren't captain, Henderson shouldn't be. Henderson can't take good penalties and for me a captain should be able to do that. Henderson missed one in the world cup, nobody remembers because England still won. He also missed against Atletico Madrid. The ones he scored never convinced me he should take a penalty. I think if Van Dijk took a penalty he'd actually put a hole in the neck of the net.

A net is, intrinsically, full of holes Ribs.......

Hence the saying “like catching water in a net” to denote something futile.

Just saying 😘
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      Reply #505: Nov 20, 2018 04:58:56 pm
      Even if VVD weren't captain, Henderson shouldn't be. Henderson can't take good penalties and for me a captain should be able to do that. Henderson missed one in the world cup, nobody remembers because England still won. He also missed against Atletico Madrid. The ones he scored never convinced me he should take a penalty. I think if Van Dijk took a penalty he'd actually put a hole in the neck of the net

Being able to take a good penalty means ability to perform under pressure. It's a good measuring stick. If you look at good captains, they are good penalty takers... just look at Gerrard and dare I say Kane and Shearer?

Didn't stevie miss a pen v portugal in the euros once ? By your logic iker casillas was a sh*t captain for spain, puyol for Barcelona etc because they didn't take pens. I am becoming more convinced you actually enjoy winding people up

Quick Reply