Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Virgil van Dijk Player Thread (D)

Read 228498 times
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Re: Virgil van Dijk Player Thread
      Reply #690: Mar 15, 2019 12:40:02 am
      Hahaha look at the date on this!

Cocksuckers!!
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #691: Mar 15, 2019 12:44:35 am

Cocksuckers!!

poll is spot on hes worth at least 500 mill
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      Reply #692: Mar 15, 2019 12:51:07 am
      poll is spot on hes worth at least 500 mill

Correct I was thinking 1 billion pounds!
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #693: Mar 15, 2019 01:34:35 am

Cocksuckers!!

Feel like our main business this summer should be going back to Saints and negotiating an extra ÂŁ75mill for how good he's been, seems like a bargain what we got him for!

Saints and Roma put a "premium" on Virgil and Alisson, everybody else thought we were paying well over the odds etc. Now they are worth more than double what we paid and suddenly everybody has shut up about how they apparently aren't worth it.
      CT_LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #694: Mar 15, 2019 03:03:13 am
      If the likes of Salah (0) and Suarez (1) are LFC legends then I don't see why VVD would need to win trophies to be a legend here either.

Perhaps none of the above are Liverpool legends. Up for debate isn't it?

Yes, probably up for debate and depends on the person. To me Suarez is not a legend but a formidable player who wore the Liverpool shirt. Gerrard is a legend to me.

When i think of legend I think of players where in US sports they’d have their number retired by the team.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #695: Mar 15, 2019 08:11:41 am
      You have to say that right now VVD doesn’t even have a value, he’s priceless and the most important player we’ve ever had in my lifetime.

I can not believe someone so big and strong can be so agile and nimble, effortless on the ball, eye for goal and an abviously superb mental attitude.

A true leader - hopefully stays as our player until he retires at 40.
      Arab Scouse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,081 posts | 805 
      Reply #696: Mar 15, 2019 09:45:50 am
      You have to say that right now VVD doesn’t even have a value, he’s priceless and the most important player we’ve ever had in my lifetime.

I can not believe someone so big and strong can be so agile and nimble, effortless on the ball, eye for goal and an abviously superb mental attitude.

The ball he put in for Mane the other night was sublime. Sometimes he plays like a deep lying playmaker same way Hyppia used to do before, though Hyypia doesn't have the same passing vision as VVD.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      Reply #697: Mar 16, 2019 12:18:31 am
      What I don't understand is when we have VVD in the box, our corner takers seem to love playing the short corner or the cross that doesn't beat the first man. Put the ball up in the air for fucks sake, let Virgil do the rest!
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #698: Mar 16, 2019 01:09:57 am
      Is Virgil the best signing Liverpool have made in the 21st century?
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,663 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #699: Mar 16, 2019 06:21:32 am
      Is Virgil the best signing Liverpool have made in the 21st century?

Arguably yes if you're asking me. You still have to win things though to be regarded the best in his position. I don't think he'll have long to wait. He's world class.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #700: Mar 16, 2019 10:02:50 am
      I really don't care what labels other people put on our players as long as they perform as a team . I don't see any ego's in our team and I don't think Virgil is anything other than a 100% team player. He just brings so much to this team and its clear others around him benefit from his presence. Cant wait for the run in now we are perfectly placed.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      Reply #701: Mar 16, 2019 10:44:54 pm
      Arguably yes if you're asking me. You still have to win things though to be regarded the best in his position. I don't think he'll have long to wait. He's world class.

Now, finally you have posted something worthy of a plus.  :lmao: :lmao:
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #702: Mar 17, 2019 01:04:43 am

See that’s something I don’t agree with, I don’t think a player does have to win things to be regarded the best. Going to use a quick example; say Messi played for Getafe, a team that isn’t going to win anything, and he still performed to the level he has done with Barca, it wouldn’t make him any less of a player or not be the best anymore just because he hasn’t won anything.
      Another quick example; Suarez was probably the best player in the Premier League in his final 2 seasons with us, but although we didn’t win the league it doesn’t mean he wasn’t the best. It’s like saying Van Dijk can’t be the best because he hasn’t won anything, but what does it actually matter? Wigan won the FA Cup, Leicester won the league but none of their players are better than Van Dijk, Salah, Kane or anyone, but if the tagline of “he needs to win silverware to be considered the best” is used then it’s essentially saying Wes Morgan is better than Van Dijk.
      To win things you need luck and to be the best as a team. Say us and City win our last 8 games, we’d have amassed a massive 97 points, lost 1 game, conceded less goals and still not won the league by the matter of a point or two...so that suddenly means Van Dijk can’t be the best because he hasn’t won anything? A team getting 97 points etc and not winning the league, surely that’s unheard of?!

Or you can be in the situation of Salah for example; many will say he wasn’t the best player last year because he didn’t win a trophy, well that’s down to Karius that. We could get to the final again this year but if Alisson costs us the game in the last minute then does that mean Van Dijk was a minute away from being the best defender around?
      So yeah, that’s why I don’t think you have to win things to be the best. Surely by performing better than anyone else in that position makes you the best, which is something Van Dijk has done and you don’t need a trophy to tell us that, you just need to watch football to know it.

With Van Dijk he doesn’t get dribbled past, he doesn’t get beaten in the air, he doesn’t get outmuscled, he doesn’t get out paced, he plays passes like a top class playmaker, he can score goals and he’s a leader. If we don’t win anything with him in the team then I don’t think it takes anything away from him apart from what the level of performances he puts in deserve.
      « Last Edit: Mar 17, 2019 01:15:43 am by 7-King Kenny-7 »
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #703: Mar 17, 2019 03:43:53 am

Steven Gerrard existed.

No one will likely ever topple him in my eyes in terms of importance. But this bloke is alongside Suarez for impact.

My dumb ass thought we could find better for a quarter of the price when we bought him. But F**k me (he could if he wanted, I'd lube myself up if he asked) is he special. Wouldn't trade him for anyone - not Chiellini, Ramos, Godin, or whoever the F**k people are bullshitting about being better than this fella.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,663 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #704: Mar 17, 2019 05:56:56 am

With Van Dijk he doesn’t get dribbled past, he doesn’t get beaten in the air, he doesn’t get outmuscled, he doesn’t get out paced, he plays passes like a top class playmaker, he can score goals and he’s a leader. If we don’t win anything with him in the team then I don’t think it takes anything away from him apart from what the level of performances he puts in deserve.

The sad truth about football (( in most cases )) is if he doesn't win anything they ( footballers ) move on to a club that does win trophies. Much as he loves Liverpool and will become a legend once he stays there for a few years that's how football has become.

I do enjoy watching the c**t play though.  :D
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #705: Mar 17, 2019 12:53:17 pm
      Steven Gerrard existed.

No one will likely ever topple him in my eyes in terms of importance. But this bloke is alongside Suarez for impact.

My dumb ass thought we could find better for a quarter of the price when we bought him. But f**k me (he could if he wanted, I'd lube myself up if he asked) is he special. Wouldn't trade him for anyone - not Chiellini, Ramos, Godin, or whoever the f**k people are bullshitting about being better than this fella.

Ok yes - Stevie G is and will be favourite player of all time. Maybe I should have said ‘most important signing’ in my lifetime
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      Reply #706: Mar 18, 2019 03:54:28 am
      Even with that F**k up between himself, Milny and Becker, he didn't flinch, he didn't look angry or upset or even flustered. He has that belief that we can turn any situation around and that's just what we did.

A Rock!
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #707: Mar 18, 2019 01:24:35 pm
      Even with that F**k up between himself, Milny and Becker, he didn't flinch, he didn't look angry or upset or even flustered. He has that belief that we can turn any situation around and that's just what we did.

A Rock!

He has the right attitude; "sh*t happens, get over it and move on".

If Lovren could learn to do the same, instead of losing his head, he'd be a better player for it.
      noggin
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,860 posts | 165 
      Reply #708: Mar 18, 2019 01:49:25 pm

If Lovren could learn to do the same, instead of losing his head, he'd be a better player for it.

Hard to figure why Alisson didn't use his hands, odd.
      CT_LFC

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #709: Mar 18, 2019 01:51:12 pm

I guess he could have dived for it but if he missed it and touches the player it's a PK and probably a red(?). He was backtracking instead of coming forward to receive the header pass from Virgil, which was the issue since the ball had no pace to travel the longer distance.
      CT_LFC

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #710: Mar 18, 2019 01:52:06 pm

Yea i saw his post-game interview with Milner and his attitude was great, like you said.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #711: Mar 18, 2019 01:59:51 pm

Just one of those things.

We have the benefit of seeing things from a high angle, plus slow motion replays.

When something unfolds at ground level, it looks different and a lot quicker.
      I think he just got caught in 2 minds, and was unable to react in time.
      No big deal, sh*t happens.
      noggin
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,860 posts | 165 
      Reply #712: Mar 18, 2019 03:54:51 pm
      Just one of those things.

We have the benefit of seeing things from a high angle, plus slow motion replays.

When something unfolds at ground level, it looks different and a lot quicker.
      I think he just got caught in 2 minds, and was unable to react in time.
      No big deal, sh*t happens.

True, 3 more points in the bag.

Quick Reply