Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Virgil van Dijk Player Thread (D)

Read 228228 times
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Re: Virgil van Dijk Player Thread
      Reply #805: Apr 01, 2019 07:14:42 am
      Jimsouse67
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,275 posts | 1436 
      Reply #806: Apr 01, 2019 09:09:19 am
      F***ing monster of a player.
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #807: Apr 01, 2019 11:36:59 am
      Hope that ankle is ok, single handedly the reason we are taking the title race so far in my opinion.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #808: Apr 01, 2019 01:15:18 pm
      Hope that ankle is ok, single handedly the reason we are taking the title race so far in my opinion.

Think he said after the game that he's fine. Expected no less, there's no way he would abide by not playing during the run in.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #809: Apr 01, 2019 01:16:57 pm
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #810: Apr 01, 2019 01:19:02 pm

Best player in the Premier League. I don't even know that it's debatable at this point.
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #811: Apr 01, 2019 01:41:30 pm
      The smart big b***ard had the nous to belt the ball over the main stand after the second goal preventing them from a quick restart. :)
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #812: Apr 01, 2019 08:14:38 pm
      The smart big b***ard had the nous to belt the ball over the main stand after the second goal preventing them from a quick restart. :)

And here it is:

https://twitter.com/Riddock__/status/1112440816742682629

Could be a rugby player with that type of kicking...but he's Dutch so thankfully he knows better!
      CT_LFC

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #813: Apr 01, 2019 08:19:37 pm

Said in the other thread at the time, Van Dijk is the single most important player for us in the run in. Just an absolute beast.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #814: Apr 01, 2019 09:25:38 pm

they have more than one ball these days.

Wouldn't make a scrap of difference.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #815: Apr 01, 2019 09:26:50 pm
      Said in the other thread at the time, Van Dijk is the single most important player for us in the run in. Just an absolute beast.

In terms of pure talent, he might be the best CB we've ever had.

The man is an absolute monster.
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #816: Apr 01, 2019 10:32:02 pm

Do you think the Anfield ball boys would have been in a mad rush or scramble to find another? Like F**k they would ...
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #817: Apr 01, 2019 10:50:55 pm
      Do you think the Anfield ball boys would have been in a mad rush or scramble to find another? Like f**k they would ...

I did think we had a new ball boy...

Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #818: Apr 02, 2019 04:04:42 pm
      van Dijk deserves the credit he's getting for his superb decision making throughout pretty much every game, nearly all the time, and I'm happy to see him get recognition for that 2vs1 situation against Spurs, but I have a bit of a problem with how the whole analysis is ridiculously based on the outcome. As I see it, VvD did what he had to do, but in the end Sissoko still had plenty of space for a finish and even in his worst foot, could and definitely should have scored from that position; and if he did, would we be hearing anything at all about that passage of play, or how this somehow proves VvD is the best defender in the world? Nah, I very much doubt it, even though it was a perfectly plausible and acceptable outcome - a lot of the time you can only do your best and hope for the best, and this time it worked. Had Sissoko scored, and we lost that game, it wouldn't shock me to see some even turning on the player; change the outcome, and people shift their focus of analysis, the talk could suddenly become that he was out of position, that the line should've been higher, or whatever suited the narrative best. But well, Sissoko didn't score, so  the narratives can be created around it; not really a problem, but there's surely a bunch of piss poor "analysis" around the press as usual.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #819: Apr 02, 2019 04:39:15 pm
      van Dijk deserves the credit he's getting for his superb decision making throughout pretty much every game, nearly all the time, and I'm happy to see him get recognition for that 2vs1 situation against Spurs, but I have a bit of a problem with how the whole analysis is ridiculously based on the outcome. As I see it, VvD did what he had to do, but in the end Sissoko still had plenty of space for a finish and even in his worst foot, could and definitely should have scored from that position; and if he did, would we be hearing anything at all about that passage of play, or how this somehow proves VvD is the best defender in the world? Nah, I very much doubt it, even though it was a perfectly plausible and acceptable outcome - a lot of the time you can only do your best and hope for the best, and this time it worked. Had Sissoko scored, and we lost that game, it wouldn't shock me to see some even turning on the player; change the outcome, and people shift their focus of analysis, the talk could suddenly become that he was out of position, that the line should've been higher, or whatever suited the narrative best. But well, Sissoko didn't score, so  the narratives can be created around it; not really a problem, but there's surely a bunch of piss poor "analysis" around the press as usual.

To be fair, Virgil wasn't actually that far off getting a block in by the time the shot was taken.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #820: Apr 02, 2019 05:39:27 pm
      but in the end Sissoko still had plenty of space for a finish and even in his worst foot, could and definitely should have scored from that position;

And somehow...he didn't score from that position. Maybe because VVD played it perfectly.
      skolRED
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,132 posts | 256 
      Reply #821: Apr 02, 2019 05:40:43 pm

For me it is what he trying  to do that matter. 
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #822: Apr 02, 2019 06:16:40 pm

I was screaming at the Tele at the time make him shoot!! It's Moussa Sissoko and the lad does it every single game. He has no end product in either his shot or pass.

To my shock a Liverpool player kept their heads in a tie like this (same game last year we didn't) but I was made up.

As for Sissoko he's all power and no ability the poor lad.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #823: Apr 02, 2019 08:12:03 pm
      And somehow...he didn't score from that position. Maybe because VVD played it perfectly.

Yes, he did the best he could perfectly. On another day that ball could very well have ended up in the net nonetheless.

As for Sissoko he's all power and no ability the poor lad.

Not a fan of him either, but even for him it was a bad miss. Worse players could've scored that

To be fair, Virgil wasn't actually that far off getting a block in by the time the shot was taken.

Hmm, he was close but not that close, Sissoko still had some time to shoot, but he could've gotten there if Sissoko hesitated a bit longer. Alderweireld or whatever his name is (I never seem able to spell his name correctly) also defended brilliantly against Salah in a 2vs1 situation, though that one wasn't as open as Sissoko's chance
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #824: Apr 03, 2019 01:13:25 am
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,111 posts | 441 
      Reply #825: Apr 03, 2019 01:45:47 am
      Player of the season hands down!
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #826: Apr 03, 2019 01:47:08 pm
      I ran into him on a plane the other day, he had three seats booked, one for him, two for each of his massive balls.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #827: Apr 03, 2019 01:47:38 pm
      Yes, he did the best he could perfectly. On another day that ball could very well have ended up in the net nonetheless.

Not a fan of him either, but even for him it was a bad miss. Worse players could've scored that

Hmm, he was close but not that close, Sissoko still had some time to shoot, but he could've gotten there if Sissoko hesitated a bit longer. Alderweireld or whatever his name is (I never seem able to spell his name correctly) also defended brilliantly against Salah in a 2vs1 situation, though that one wasn't as open as Sissoko's chance

It's true if Sissoko smashes it in some on here would probably blame Van Dijk. However he played the percentages and it came off in his favour.

Sissoko is the type who may have even got the pass wrong if Virgil went to cover the shot. I personally think he's a very poor footballer but I digress.

VVD kept calm under pressure and that is a welcome change from having rash hot heads like Skrtel in the not so distant past.

Quick Reply