Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Virgil van Dijk Player Thread (D)

Read 228490 times
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,233 posts | 752 
      Re: Virgil van Dijk Player Thread
      Reply #943: May 25, 2019 06:40:20 am
      Surely the most important signing the club has made for quite a fair while. Certainly deserved Premier League player of the season, in my view.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #944: May 25, 2019 10:01:53 am
      Shanks would think this guy was 8ft tall.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #945: May 28, 2019 10:47:38 am
      Liverpool is my club and I'm proud to wear the shirt every day
      Virgil, one game to go and it's another Champions League final. How does it sound?

It sounds pretty good! We worked hard this season, the season is almost over but obviously we have one big final push left and we are going to give everything that we have got and will see what it's going to bring us.

The final would be your 50th appearance of the season after playing in all 38 Premier League matches. There must have been times when you feared you might miss the next game or you were picking up knocks. Was it just desperation to figure in as many Premier League games as you could?

I think the mindset is always to think that you are never going to play pain-free. Obviously I had moments where I was struggling during the week, but I think at the end of the day what makes me keep going is when that whistle goes at the weekend, I need to be there. I made sure I did the right things around it, make sure I eat good, get treatment, recover well. It's not easy but we did it so far and we have one more push left.

There are lots of international captains around the squad and it's a team full of leaders now. You all drive each other on...

I think that's the most important thing anyway - to tell each other. When there are things that need to be said, I think this group of players is special, at least that's what I'm feeling. Hopefully we can stay together for at least another four or five years and achieve so many things with this group.

Is that the feeling you get when you look at the average age of this squad? It goes from quite young to experienced and all the way up to players at that golden time - 27, 28 - when players historically come into their peak…

Yeah, that's why I think it's a great group. The characters we have in our team, it all fits, it all goes well so far. Any additions that we are going to get in the future, I think the club knows how to do that as well and it all clicks.

Reflecting on the Champions League, the journey so far and the group stage - you always performed well in the home games, but the away games became a bit of a struggle. But when you needed results and you needed to overcome certain deficits, the true Liverpool comes through then…

I think we always make it a bit difficult for ourselves. But yes, I think the away games in the group stages were poor, especially the one in Naples - but obviously the one in Belgrade was a very poor performance from all of us. We knew it and we made it right at Anfield with a bit of help from Alisson against Napoli with the big save - we all know that he is capable of doing these things.

We did it and after the group stages we had Bayern Munich and then Porto. We did the job perfectly I think. In the knockout stages we were very good, dominant, played very well, and we are where we deserve to be.

The run-in will always be encapsulated by those games against Barcelona in the semi-final, both of them stunning in different ways...

I think I said it after the game over there, it felt so strange because we lost 3-0 but it was like, 'How?' We were sitting in the dressing room thinking, 'How did we lose this 3-0?' The first goal, I should have done better. The second goal was a bit of luck and the free-kick was outstanding. We had chances, we dominated and we put them under pressure. We gave them so much trouble and not a lot of teams have done that over there. We were 3-0 down and we had to find the solution to overcome it.

I had a feeling straight after the game that we could do it, especially if you believe. The whole build-up to the game and the moment that we arrived at the stadium, I felt that this could be a special night.

Obviously you know that they have the best player in the world, I think that they can not even have a chance and he will score. Then it makes it even more difficult, but we did it. After the [opening] goal from Divock [Origi], I think everyone around started to believe as well. Everything just clicked the whole evening.

Divock has been one of those characters this season. We even caught you singing his song - the Saturday Night one - the other week! He's popped up when you've needed him in some unbelievable games…

It's a fantastic song, to be fair - I like it! I asked Robbo for the lyrics because I didn't even know the lyrics before! Div is Div. He's working hard, he's fast and he has qualities that make defenders work for their money basically. He's a great guy. I've got to know him much better this season because last season he was on loan, and he speaks Dutch as well which makes it a bit easier. He's a great guy but he's a very good player as well who has been very important for us this season and he shouldn't be overlooked.

Joel Matip is another one, isn't he? He's waited for his moment and you two have looked brilliant together…

Joel was obviously struggling with injuries in the beginning. I think it's a bit of the other way around from Joe [Gomez]. Joe was obviously unbelievable until his injury and Joel has filled in - Dejan [Lovren] as well when he plays with me. Joel, I'm delighted for him that he's at that level. The way he is performing, that's unbelievable. If you look at the second game against Barcelona, his performance at home was unbelievable. It helps everyone and I'm just very happy to help everyone as well.

The second Champions League final in successive seasons. Have you brought yourself to watch last year's final in full?

Last year's final, I didn't watch anything back, to be fair, besides the goals. They show them everywhere so you can't miss them. It was a very tough day, but there were so many lessons out of that day. It's not like, 'I could have done this better', it was more like the experience and everything that happened over that night. I took so many things with me. To be there this year again is something special and we are going to give everything that we have, and hopefully that's enough.

On your personal story this year then, you were named PFA Players' Player of the Year. The manager has said on a few occasions that you could have gone to any team in the world. But this is the right choice for you, isn't it? Liverpool is your club now…

Yes, it's my club definitely and I'm very proud to be wearing this shirt every day. But it's also one of the reasons when I came here - how everyone lives around Liverpool, lives and dies for the club, want to do everything for us, will be there in tough times. They will also be with us in the good times.

I think this is a real football club and you don't have too many at this level that are living and breathing for a club like Liverpool. It was a very important decision [for me] to make, but so far it has gone pretty well.

Tottenham then, is it going to be like a Premier League game or do you expect it will be different to that?

I think we are going to play our own game, like we always have done in any game we have played. It's one game, anything can happen and we just try to play our game and hopefully give them a lot of difficulties.

We saw when we played them at home that the second half we were struggling a little bit [as] they changed because they were struggling in the first half. So we are going to prepare very well and we started here in [Marbella] and we will have another full week to prepare. We will be prepared for any situation that is going to come across. Then it's all about us, what we do.

https://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/first-team/351682-virgil-van-dijk-big-interview-champions-league-final
      Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Reply #946: Jun 01, 2019 11:05:52 pm
      Just give him the ballon d'or.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #947: Jun 02, 2019 01:25:27 am
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,111 posts | 441 
      Reply #948: Jun 02, 2019 02:20:09 am
      Yeh no short list his name has to be on it without doubt.   
      Jimsouse67
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,275 posts | 1436 
      Reply #949: Jun 02, 2019 08:31:19 am
      Imperious last night as he has been all season.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #950: Jun 02, 2019 09:34:32 am
      The best player in the world. Period.
      Emlyn Hughes
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,627 posts | 128 
      Reply #951: Jun 02, 2019 10:03:25 am
      He deserves to win the ballon d'or this year. How can they even consider Messi?! If Virgil does not win the whole award is a joke.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #952: Jun 02, 2019 12:09:39 pm
      Balon Dor or no Balon Dor the bloke has just won the biggest prize already.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #953: Jun 02, 2019 01:16:17 pm
      Imperious last night as he has been all season.

That tackle on Son was legendary!
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #954: Jun 02, 2019 01:22:03 pm
      I am 100% heterosexual but would willingly swop sides for the big dutch fella
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #955: Jun 02, 2019 08:46:47 pm
      nikos
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 637 posts | 123 
      Reply #956: Jun 03, 2019 09:21:42 pm
      Who was the last defender best player in the world before him?

Franz Beckenbauer if i’m not wrong?
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #957: Jun 03, 2019 09:37:22 pm

Cannavaro
      RedWilly

• 9,146 posts | 1619 
      Reply #958: Jun 03, 2019 10:08:48 pm

Cannavaro after the 06 World Cup I think. Since him it’s been Kaka, shared between Ronaldo/Messi and then Madrid.

Think Cannavaro is the only defender to ever win if I’m not mistaken?
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #959: Jun 03, 2019 10:37:20 pm

This is what gets me about Virgil - he's usually in very a good position, but he has the pace to catch up to anyone. We know Son is no slouch, but does anybody remember when Adama Traore went at him when we played at Wolves in the League? He just looks annoyed at having to put in 80% effort to sprint. I love it.
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,111 posts | 441 
      Reply #960: Jun 04, 2019 01:53:51 am
      ;D!  Thats the thing he reminds me of mike tyson in that strikers have lost the battle before they've kicked a ball.  They stay far away from him knowing they are getting no success being in his vicinity.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,233 posts | 752 
      Reply #961: Jun 04, 2019 06:52:16 am
      Surely one of the most important signings for the club, that has improved the defence immensely. Finally paying off by winning our first major trophy since 2005.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #962: Jun 04, 2019 08:28:32 am
      Should win the Ballon d’Or
      nikos
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 637 posts | 123 
      Reply #963: Jun 06, 2019 05:35:05 am
      He’s a rock made of gold.
      Jimsouse67

• 9,275 posts | 1436 
      Reply #964: Jun 06, 2019 11:30:40 am
      Thoroughly deserves it to mate.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #965: Jun 06, 2019 09:52:05 pm
      Possibly the greatest signing the club has ever made.

There are no equals to him in that centre back position. Not even close.

Quick Reply