Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Virgil van Dijk Player Thread (D)

Read 228255 times
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Re: Virgil van Dijk Player Thread
      Reply #989: Jul 19, 2019 07:24:33 am
      Yea fair enough, a team gunning for the league needs a few "captains" on the field, and Hendo's leadership mentality really impressed me this season. He loves the club. My only concern would be that Hendo is no longer an automatic starter and a captain for me should be one of the first names on the sheet.

Maybe the game is changing, maybe you no longer need your captain every game if Milner, VVD or Allison can captain the game when Hendo doesn't start...might be a good thing.

Agree with this - the game has changed and Liverpool have leaders all over the pitch.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #990: Jul 19, 2019 01:52:32 pm
      Agree with this - the game has changed and Liverpool have leaders all over the pitch.

Is there precedent for having more than one assistant captain?
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #991: Jul 19, 2019 02:17:27 pm
      Yea fair enough, a team gunning for the league needs a few "captains" on the field, and Hendo's leadership mentality really impressed me this season. He loves the club. My only concern would be that Hendo is no longer an automatic starter and a captain for me should be one of the first names on the sheet.

Maybe the game is changing, maybe you no longer need your captain every game if Milner, VVD or Allison can captain the game when Hendo doesn't start...might be a good thing.

Yes, we saw it last season when Henderson was rested/rotated/injured.

I think the armband is largely symbolic when a team has so many strong personalities, as we do now.

Before he got the armband, Henderson did pretty much the same as he does with it; he's always talking, organising, geeing the lads up etc.
      Milner does it, VVD does it etc etc
      I think it speaks more of the togetherness of the team than anything else.

There's some off pitch PR stuff the captain does, but even in the dressing room before the match, I'll bet Henderson is in there giving it some no matter who is captain on the day when he isn't playing.

I saw yesterday that Henderson was saying how important AOC had been in the dressing room even though he wasn't playing.

So a largely symbolic role, except for the PR stuff, and other club stuff, promo work etc Henderson does.
      But then I hear Klopp talk about the fantastic work he does as club captain as well.

I've no doubt VVD is a leader, and at some point he'll probably be captain, but at this point (and hopefully long into the future) we have so many strong personalities, real winners who are hungry for more, and it's great to see.
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #992: Jul 21, 2019 07:06:23 am
      Yes, we saw it last season when Henderson was rested/rotated/injured.

I think the armband is largely symbolic when a team has so many strong personalities, as we do now.

Before he got the armband, Henderson did pretty much the same as he does with it; he's always talking, organising, geeing the lads up etc.
      Milner does it, VVD does it etc etc
      I think it speaks more of the togetherness of the team than anything else.

There's some off pitch PR stuff the captain does, but even in the dressing room before the match, I'll bet Henderson is in there giving it some no matter who is captain on the day when he isn't playing.

I saw yesterday that Henderson was saying how important AOC had been in the dressing room even though he wasn't playing.

So a largely symbolic role, except for the PR stuff, and other club stuff, promo work etc Henderson does.
      But then I hear Klopp talk about the fantastic work he does as club captain as well.

I've no doubt VVD is a leader, and at some point he'll probably be captain, but at this point (and hopefully long into the future) we have so many strong personalities, real winners who are hungry for more, and it's great to see.

I agree with that, this side is rammed full of leaders so the actual captaincy is less relevant. I’m happy with either of Hendersin, Milner or VVD wearing the arm band it there is also leadership from players like Robbo, Ox  and Lovren when they play. I also feel that Salah has a certain leadership prescience
      Scottbot

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #993: Jul 21, 2019 07:20:47 am
      Do we want VVD to win the Ballon D’or? I think he is more than happy at LFC but winning the award kinda makes him more likely to be targeted by Madrid the way their presidential elections work and the promises they make during campaigns. Bring a Ballon ‘D’or winner turns him into a bit of a galacto.
      « Last Edit: Jul 21, 2019 07:26:59 am by Scottbot »
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #994: Jul 21, 2019 03:24:51 pm
      Do we want VVD to win the Ballon D’or? I think he is more than happy at LFC but winning the award kinda makes him more likely to be targeted by Madrid the way their presidential elections work and the promises they make during campaigns. Bring a Ballon ‘D’or winner turns him into a bit of a galacto.

As if they do not already know how good he is. He deserves it and that only can be good for his confidence!
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #995: Jul 21, 2019 03:28:23 pm
      He is at the best club in Europe and he knows it and he is in the toughest league in Europe we just need to win the league for the next couple of season to keep him happy
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #996: Jul 21, 2019 10:09:16 pm
      He is at the best club in Europe and he knows it and he is in the toughest league in Europe we just need to win the league for the next couple of season to keep him happy

I think Virgil clearly understands the idea of what it means to be an LFC legend (unlike a couple that went to Barca)...i expect him to finish his career here.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #997: Aug 02, 2019 09:45:21 pm
      Turned 28 last month - the best defender I’ve ever seen in my lifetime.

I believe he’s going to play at the highest level until he’s at least 33, maybe 35.

He’ll win the Ballon d’Ore this year!
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #998: Aug 05, 2019 09:32:32 pm
      Is it me
      Or does Virgil
      Look leaner..?
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,088 posts | 1046 
      Reply #999: Aug 09, 2019 10:50:02 pm
      VVD can hump my wife. I love him
      bigbob75
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,264 posts | 280 
      • Let's talk about six
      Reply #1000: Aug 10, 2019 08:02:45 am
      Looked his usual self - F***ing brilliant!
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #1001: Aug 29, 2019 06:43:56 pm
      Never in doubt with that UEFA award. Next up is the Ballon D'or for the Big Man
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,321 posts | 1016 
      Reply #1002: Aug 29, 2019 06:48:39 pm
      Never in doubt with that UEFA award. Next up is the Ballon D'or for the Big Man
      Next up is FIFA player of the year  ;)

And then Ballon D’or.
      clint_call01
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      Reply #1003: Aug 29, 2019 06:58:20 pm
      Well done, YNWA VVD for Men's Player of the Year 19.
      Redangel

• 8,084 posts | 966 
      Reply #1004: Aug 29, 2019 07:00:53 pm
      Well done Virgil, thoroughly deserved, now for the Ballon D’or. Hope’s he’s with us forever, love the big man! 💕
      clint_call01
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      Reply #1005: Aug 29, 2019 07:03:37 pm

&

LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #1006: Aug 29, 2019 08:24:34 pm
      The social media uproar on Messi not winning is a joke, VVD was hands down the most consistent and best player last season. He won the player of the year in the strongest league in the world. These are facts.

7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #1007: Aug 29, 2019 09:20:16 pm
      « Last Edit: Aug 29, 2019 09:26:36 pm by 7-King Kenny-7 »
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #1008: Aug 29, 2019 09:20:54 pm
      The social media uproar on Messi not winning is a joke, VVD was hands down the most consistent and best player last season. He won the player of the year in the strongest league in the world. These are facts.

Most "fans" are a little behind the current reality, especially when it comes to marketing darlings . Plus they get all woozy when someone does a trick, regardless if it affects the actual match.

Well deserved, Virgil.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #1009: Aug 29, 2019 11:10:13 pm
      Well in Virgil. Two awards today.

Was quoted as saying that " There was only one club I wanted to join and that was Liverpool"

Puts the Owens the Coutinhos and the rest of the get - aways to shame.
      Arab Scouse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,080 posts | 805 
      Reply #1010: Aug 29, 2019 11:15:43 pm
      Best defender I have ever seen in a red shirt (I'm a millennial, so never seen 70s or 80s teams). surpasses Sami Hyypia for me.

deserves all the awards he gets. 
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #1011: Aug 29, 2019 11:22:46 pm
      Very well deserved award

Quick Reply