Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Virgil van Dijk Player Thread (D)

Read 228449 times
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Re: Virgil van Dijk Player Thread
      Reply #1058: Sep 24, 2019 12:59:28 am
      What a crock of sh*t.

Well VVD is now going to have to settle for the Balon D'Or  :angel: :angel: :angel:
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #1059: Sep 24, 2019 03:20:47 am
      True, look i wanted big virg to win but messi was pretty bloody amazing too

Truth. Scored like 54 goals in 56 matches, top scorer in Champions League and won La Liga. Thing is he's done it for so many years now those numbers become numbing, but while you can argue Virgil was/is deserving, you can't say Messi isn't.

Made up for Ali and Klopp though.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #1060: Sep 24, 2019 03:24:40 am
      Probably a large part of that, but him and Ronaldo hit them figures and then some every season but Modric won it last year. It's basically an award for Madrid and Barca, dating back to since Zidane won it whilst at Juve back in 2000, only twice has a team other than Madrid or Barca had a player win it; Kaka in 07 at Milan and Ronaldo in 08 at the Mancs.

I know in that time frame, 07/08 onwards, Messi and Ronaldo have dominated everything in football and the majority of the time they have deserved to win it, but there's also been times they've wrongly won it over the likes of Ribery, Sneijder, Iniesta and now Virgil.

But yeah it's basically a top scorer award more often that not. Which the likes of Messi will always win, of course Virgil can't hit them numbers, but then Messi wouldn't be able to hit the numbers and perform to the level Virgil does in defence which is something they don't seem to take into account.

Messi and Ronaldo are arguably the two greatest players of all time, but this is an award based on performances over a season, not a career and there's been times they haven't been the best over a season. Then they use the narrative of whoever wins the CL will likely win it (when either Madrid or Barca are in the final), if it's not that then they will often try and fit the narrative to whoever wins or is the closest to winning an international tournament (Ronaldo winning it for being a cheerleader in the Euro 2016 final).

It's great when someone from us does get the recognition they deserve but the fact Virgil has missed out on this and not a single City player made the world 11, whilst Marcelo, Ramos and Modric did just says it all really. They will recognise the accomplishments of some but when it comes down to the world 11 or up against Messi/Ronaldo, it's all politics and a popularity contest.

Bit of a drawn out post and seems like bit of a rant, apologies that it probably reads that way.

A panel of "fans from all over the world" were part of the electorate for this (at least for the world 11 part). Wouldn't surprise me if some agents, FIFA officials and corporate types were part of that. Not to discredit the award (especially since Jürgen and Ali won), but it's nothing like winning a team trophy in terms of validation. Hopefully everyone had a nice evening out, a safe trip home and will be refreshed for this weekend's resumption of a title campaign.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #1061: Sep 24, 2019 03:26:15 am
      Should have been Virgil but at least we have the best manager and goalie. In truth these awards are complete bollocks, as much as I love Klopp how you can overlook Pep for best manager is bizarre.

Because our manager is better. He knows not to make Salah do dribbling practice in the League Cup.
      RedWilly
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,146 posts | 1619 
      Reply #1062: Sep 24, 2019 03:54:11 am
      Modric, Marcelo and Ramos in the world 11 says all you need to know about these awards.

They had a bloody awful season but can’t have the Spanish clubs ego’s being hit now can we.
      Scottbot

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #1063: Sep 24, 2019 07:37:02 am
      For a while I didn’t really want him to win the award because it makes him more of a target for Barca or Madrid come their presidential elections and galactic time. But I am actually disappointed for him and it’s a joke that he didn’t get it. Messi has a cracking season but his team walked the league in a two horse race against a lame horse. The bias towards La Liga for this award has been ridiculous. As good as both players have performed over the years it has become a farce. Totally blinkered view. Take 2013-14. Did anyone in world football really play better than Luis Suarez that season?
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #1064: Sep 24, 2019 05:41:35 pm
      https://metro.co.uk/2019/09/23/absolute-joke-paul-merson-fumes-lionel-messi-winning-player-year-virgil-van-dijk-10796079/

FFS   !!!

Merson is coming out on Virgil's side.

........................ ........................ .................

Paul Merson was deeply unhappy with the decision to award the Fifa Men’s Player of the Year prize to Lionel Messi and believes it’s ‘an absolute joke’ that Virgil van Dijk wasn’t honoured in Milan on Monday night.

Messi, who scored 51 goals in 50 games last season, pipped Van Dijk and great rival Cristiano Ronaldo to the prestigious men’s prize to replace Luka Modric as the official best player on the planet. Van Dijk was the favourite to scoop the award after playing an integral role in Liverpool’s run to the Champions League title, while he also reached the Nations League final with the Netherlands. Lionel Messi was handed the top prize 
      Merson was astonished that he was overlooked for the top prize on a night where his manager Jürgen Klopp was hailed as the world’s best manager.
      Asked if Messi deserved the award, Merson replied: ‘No. No. It’s a joke. Sorry, it’s a joke. ‘He’s just done what he’s done every season. He hasn’t taken them to another level. He didn’t take them to win the Champions League. That’s what Barcelona are all about. ‘How many does he get against Alaves? You win it because you’ve done something special.

Van Dijk has done something special. They’ve won the Champions League, Liverpool. ‘That’s what Barcelona wanted to win. If you asked Barcelona what do you want to win the league or the Champions League? They’d’ve gone the Champions League.

‘For me it’s an absolute joke, that. An absolute joke. Paul Merson wasn’t impressed
      ‘You know why he’s won that?
      Because that started in 2016, Ronaldo won it the first two years and then Modric won it last year. So they’ve got to give Messi it.

‘What (Ed: The f**k) does Van Dijk have to do? He’s taken Holland to the final of the European thing… I just can’t. He took them to another level. ‘Messi has not taken Barcelona to another level last year. He never took them to another level, he’s just done what he does all the time.

Van Dijk took this Liverpool team to an absolute other level. ‘If the coach is getting the coach of the year, how is the player not getting the best player?’

........................ ........................ .............

Read more: https://metro.co.uk/2019/09/23/absolute-joke-paul-merson-fumes-lionel-messi-winning-player-year-virgil-van-dijk-10796079/?ito=cbshare

Twitter: https://twitter.com/MetroUK | Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/MetroUK/

Next year it will be by order of the Peaky F***ing Blinders ! The Red Right Hand.

« Last Edit: Sep 24, 2019 05:47:17 pm by MIRO »
      shawspeed
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 561 posts | 128 
      Reply #1065: Sep 24, 2019 06:45:10 pm
      Should have been Virgil but at least we have the best manager and goalie. In truth these awards are complete bollocks, as much as I love Klopp how you can overlook Pep for best manager is bizarre.

Could be because Jürgen coaches and Pep either purchases or whinges
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,049 posts | 6294 
      Reply #1066: Sep 25, 2019 11:40:18 am
      Award or no award, all I know is if I’m assembling a team from scratch, I’m probably picking Virgil first and if I miss out on Messi, oh well, there’s other goal scorers that I can pick, but there ain’t no other defenders like Big Virg. That speaks volumes to me. Keep your award you diving, imaginary card waiving troll.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #1067: Nov 12, 2019 02:57:17 pm
      🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥

https://youtu.be/RFRp90zy_Lc
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,233 posts | 752 
      Reply #1068: Nov 12, 2019 04:10:01 pm
      For a while I didn’t really want him to win the award because it makes him more of a target for Barca or Madrid come their presidential elections and galactic time. But I am actually disappointed for him and it’s a joke that he didn’t get it. Messi has a cracking season but his team walked the league in a two horse race against a lame horse. The bias towards La Liga for this award has been ridiculous. As good as both players have performed over the years it has become a farce. Totally blinkered view. Take 2013-14. Did anyone in world football really play better than Luis Suarez that season?

VVD would be doing himself no favours, being lured to any other club. He is already playing for the top club in Europe. Although I agree he certainly deserves the award, without any doubt.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #1069: Nov 12, 2019 06:09:06 pm
      VVD would be doing himself no favours, being lured to any other club. He is already playing for the top club in Europe. Although I agree he certainly deserves the award, without any doubt.

I feel as if we are past the point, at least with our current group, of Real or Barca being able to lure one of our players away. Look at what a colossal mistake it has turned out to be for Phil Coutinho, for instance. These things can change fairly quickly, but as defending European Cup winners and arguably THE BEST team in the world just now, can't imagine Virgil or anybody else would be lured away so long as we are reasonably competitive in the wage market, which we are.
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,321 posts | 1016 
      Reply #1070: Nov 12, 2019 08:56:34 pm
      I feel as if we are past the point, at least with our current group, of Real or Barca being able to lure one of our players away. Look at what a colossal mistake it has turned out to be for Phil Coutinho, for instance. These things can change fairly quickly, but as defending European Cup winners and arguably THE BEST team in the world just now, can't imagine Virgil or anybody else would be lured away so long as we are reasonably competitive in the wage market, which we are.
      Personally don’t think this stops although it now can’t be said that the move is to compete for titles as we are doing that regularly. Still think there is a desire there for players to go Madrid/Barcelona, and it’s not unusual to see a top club losing its best players - Griezmann at Atletico the most recent I can think of (although granted we are in a better position than Atletico).

I hope we can hang on to this group of players for as long as possible but personally I’m not going to be shocked if we see a big departure to one of the two teams above next summer.

higgy_sham
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,264 posts | 796 
      Reply #1071: Nov 17, 2019 02:38:34 pm
      Was reading that he has pulled out of the Holland squad for their next match for 'personal reasons'

Hopefully all's good and he just wants to stay fresh and avoid any possoble injuries.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,660 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #1072: Nov 17, 2019 04:56:07 pm
      Withdrawn from Holland's squad for personal circumstances.

Hope just to rest!
      RedWilly

• 9,146 posts | 1619 
      Reply #1073: Nov 18, 2019 05:23:00 am
      Great news. Gong to need the big man more than ever over the next month!
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #1074: Nov 20, 2019 10:22:19 pm
      Any more clarity on him pulling outta the national squad?
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #1075: Nov 21, 2019 08:15:31 pm
      Any more clarity on him pulling outta the national squad?

Probably just after a couple of days off, wasn't like the Dutch national side needed him for their last game after qualifying against Northern Ireland.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #1076: Nov 21, 2019 10:35:36 pm
      Probably just after a couple of days off, wasn't like the Dutch national side needed him for their last game after qualifying against Northern Ireland.

Hope so HR - hearing Robbo and Mo probs out for Palace.......
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #1077: Nov 22, 2019 03:17:55 am
      Hope so HR - hearing Robbo and Mo probs out for Palace.......

Robbo was training yesterday, pics on Echo website, word is he may start.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #1078: Nov 22, 2019 06:48:17 am
      Robbo was training yesterday, pics on Echo website, word is he may start.

Just saw that - was working late last night and didnt get chance to catch up.

Fingers crossed.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #1079: Nov 25, 2019 02:39:51 pm
      Klopp says he should win the award if it is for best player of last season.

I think there are too many voters who don't really pay attention so they'll just go with the name, Messi.

We'll just have to settle for team trophies I guess.
      skamp
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 834 posts | 306 
      Reply #1080: Nov 26, 2019 03:57:26 pm
      Saw this elsewhere and wasn't sure where to post it, but as it's mainly VVD, thought I'd stick it here

https://twitter.com/i/status/1199281644546347008

Quick Reply