Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Virgil van Dijk Player Thread (D)

Read 228209 times
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,111 posts | 441 
      Re: Virgil van Dijk Player Thread
      Reply #1104: Dec 02, 2019 10:23:15 pm
      I stupidly thought that It might actually go to Virgil as this was the biggest one of them and the award that holds the most Kudos. Virg thoroughly deserved it but in a funny way maybe he is better off without it,  and the club maybe too. He becomes one of these promise pieces, another galactic in waiting if he wins the award. Am sure he would swap it for a league winners medal.

Totally agree with you.  The trophy seems to go to only Spain and then they are desperate to sign the winners if by a miracle they don't have the player.   It is a complete bullshit award. 
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #1105: Dec 02, 2019 10:25:27 pm
      Totally agree with you.  The trophy seems to go to only Spain and then they are desperate to sign the winners if by a miracle they don't have the player.   It is a complete bullshit award. 

Last 11 years it’s been shared between Barca and Madrid. Probably the 2 most powerful clubs.
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,111 posts | 441 
      Reply #1106: Dec 02, 2019 10:27:57 pm
      Last 11 years it’s been shared between Barca and Madrid. Probably the 2 most powerful corrupt clubs.

fixed that for you mate!

AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #1107: Dec 02, 2019 10:51:48 pm
      Corrupt cu*ts!!!
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #1108: Dec 02, 2019 11:04:38 pm
      WeAreMenOfShanklysBest
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 396 posts | 114 
      • up the reds
      Reply #1109: Dec 02, 2019 11:24:23 pm
      team awards > player awards. Virg got the big one this year.. the one with the big ears  ;)
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      • He's five foot seven, he's football heaven
      Reply #1110: Dec 03, 2019 08:53:05 am
      Probably would have given it to Virgil myself but the way people are going on about Messi in here is ridiculous  :lmao:

51 goals & 22 assists in 50 games is incredible & if Salah or Mane had a season like that we'd probably all be screaming for him to win it over Van Dijk. It's not a fix & the reason he wins it more or less every season is because he's the greatest footballer of all time! Would have liked to have seen Virgil win it of course but I haven't got many complaints about Messi pipping him to it
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      Reply #1111: Dec 03, 2019 09:02:09 am
      Last 11 years it’s been shared between Barca and Madrid. Probably the 2 most powerful clubs.

Been shared between them because for the last decade Messi & Ronaldo have been head and shoulders above the rest. Apart from last year when it was bizarrely given to Modric I can't have many complaints about who the award has went to recently
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #1112: Dec 03, 2019 09:29:48 am
      Probably would have given it to Virgil myself but the way people are going on about Messi in here is ridiculous  :lmao:

51 goals & 22 assists in 50 games is incredible & if Salah or Mane had a season like that we'd probably all be screaming for him to win it over Van Dijk. It's not a fix & the reason he wins it more or less every season is because he's the greatest footballer of all time! Would have liked to have seen Virgil win it of course but I haven't got many complaints about Messi pipping him to it

didn't help them much in the CL though did it or Argentina EVER.

Messi is of course one of the best players of all time but its just tedious giving him the award every bloody year, this was a chance to award the best defender in the world last year but they went for the safe option give it to an attacking player from Barcelona or Real Madrid, zzzzz.

By the way I would have loved to see how many goals Messi could have gotten in the Premier league, much tougher league than the Spanish one, its one of the reasons why I actually rate Ronaldo above Messi, he's excelled in more than just 1 league and 1 club!
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #1113: Dec 03, 2019 09:31:57 am

Yeah in a sh*t La Liga last year and he disappeared in their two biggest games of the season.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #1114: Dec 03, 2019 09:34:35 am
      Been shared between them because for the last decade Messi & Ronaldo have been head and shoulders above the rest. Apart from last year when it was bizarrely given to Modric I can't have many complaints about who the award has went to recently

Do you really think Messi/Ronaldo was better than Salah 2 seasons ago (2017/18), if so why?? Salah had an amazing season that year not just for us but also for his country Egypt. Messi does very well in an easier league where the team is 100% set up around him.

Anyway they may as well rename it Ballon D'Espania, as you have to play for a Spanish club to win the F***ing thing, its a joke trophy these days and what the hell is an individual trophy in a team sport anyway, its a weird concept.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #1115: Dec 03, 2019 09:36:45 am
      Do you really think Messi/Ronaldo was better than Salah 2 seasons ago (2017/18), if so why?? Salah had an amazing season that year not just for us but also for his country Egypt. Messi does very well in an easier league where the team is 100% set up around him.

Anyway they may as well rename it Ballon D'Espania, as you have to play for a Spanish club to win the f**king thing, its a joke trophy these days and what the hell is an individual trophy in a team sport anyway, its a weird concept.

Exactly mate - F**k those cu*ts
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      Reply #1116: Dec 03, 2019 09:44:21 am
      didn't help them much in the CL though did it or Argentina EVER.

Messi is of course one of the best players of all time but its just tedious giving him the award every bloody year, this was a chance to award the best defender in the world last year but they went for the safe option give it to an attacking player from Barcelona or Real Madrid, zzzzz.

By the way I would have loved to see how many goals Messi could have gotten in the Premier league, much tougher league than the Spanish one, its one of the reasons why I actually rate Ronaldo above Messi, he's excelled in more than just 1 league and 1 club!

Messi won his domestic league & Vrgil won the European Cup, both are pretty impressive titles. As for International performances, Virgil has won exactly the same for Holland as Messi has for Argentina. Nothing.

And to say the Premier League is much tougher than La Liga is a proper Talksport shout. Look at the Champions League / Europa League finalists over the 10 or so years, Spanish teams have mostly given English teams a spanking over the last decade.

A final point is I believe the Ballon D'or is awarded over the whole calendar year, not the previous season. Virgil has still been very good this season but we've only kept a couple of clean sheets in 20 odd games. Messi is tearing it up in La Liga with 9 goals in 9 and five assists

TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      Reply #1117: Dec 03, 2019 09:51:18 am

Anyway they may as well rename it Ballon D'Espania, as you have to play for a Spanish club to win the f**king thing, its a joke trophy these days and what the hell is an individual trophy in a team sport anyway, its a weird concept.

Oh you're one to talk about Salah you were crying in another thread the other day saying we should sell him!

And yes I do think Messi was slightly better in 17/18. More goals, more assists, won the title losing only one game and also his domestic cup.
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      Reply #1118: Dec 03, 2019 09:52:59 am
      Yeah in a sh*t La Liga last year and he disappeared in their two biggest games of the season.

What's this myth about La Liga being sh*t? Have you seen the state of the Premier League? Absolutely dire apart from ourselves and City last year
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #1119: Dec 03, 2019 09:57:50 am
      What's this myth about La Liga being sh*t? Have you seen the state of the Premier League? Absolutely dire apart from ourselves and City last year

I said ‘last year’ - not a myth mate.

Spanish clubs crumbled in Europe and English dominated the finals.

La Liga was absolutely f**king pony last year.

VVD was in the most competitive league and won the champions league beating all the top teams along the way.

Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #1120: Dec 03, 2019 09:58:53 am

Suarez should have won it in 2013-14 the year we nearly won the title. I think that not being in the Champions League went against us but even if we had have been I don't believe he would have go near it. Salah's first season with us warranted it but I don't think he was ever in the running. Ronaldo and Messi have been incredible and still are incredible but I am quite certain that many of the voters are blinded by the hype and expectation that one of these two players must win it every year. Unfortunately for Virgil defenders very rarely get a look which I guess is just the nature of football in that we all pay more attention and give the most adulation to players who can score and create goals, beat players and dazzle. If he can't win it this year following the season he had i'm not sure we'll see a defender win it again for many a year.
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      Reply #1121: Dec 03, 2019 10:15:50 am
      Suarez should have won it in 2013-14 the year we nearly won the title. I think that not being in the Champions League went against us but even if we had have been I don't believe he would have go near it. Salah's first season with us warranted it but I don't think he was ever in the running. Ronaldo and Messi have been incredible and still are incredible but I am quite certain that many of the voters are blinded by the hype and expectation that one of these two players must win it every year. Unfortunately for Virgil defenders very rarely get a look which I guess is just the nature of football in that we all pay more attention and give the most adulation to players who can score and create goals, beat players and dazzle. If he can't win it this year following the season he had i'm not sure we'll see a defender win it again for many a year.

I think trophies obviously play a massive part as well, if Salah didn't get injured in 2018 and we beat Madrid he'd have more than likely won it. Fine margins but that's the way it is.

I wouldn't say people are blinded by the Messi hype either I'd actually say it's the opposite. The disregard for him in this thread is incredible and as I said earlier, if Mane or Salah hit the numbers he did last season we'd all expect them to stroll their way to the Ballon D'or. Messi has been so consistently good that he can have an incredible season like he did last year and people view it as average
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #1122: Dec 03, 2019 10:30:02 am
      Oh you're one to talk about Salah you were crying in another thread the other day saying we should sell him!

And yes I do think Messi was slightly better in 17/18. More goals, more assists, won the title losing only one game and also his domestic cup.

I was saying Salah's current form is not good, especially compared to 2017/18 you numpty and you know that, you are just being a WUM again. I've come to the point of view that Salah is carrying an injury more than anything else but yes if his form does not start to improve soon then I would advocate replacing him with a better forward, someone like Mbappe perhaps.

So you think Messi playing in a team built around him for years in an easier league, where apart from 3-4 teams the rest are fairly average, did better in that season than Salah who came to a new league and a new team and tore up the Premier league which is widely regarded as the most competitive league in the world. If you really think that then you are either on the wind up or an idiot.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #1123: Dec 03, 2019 10:30:39 am
      I said ‘last year’ - not a myth mate.

Spanish clubs crumbled in Europe and English dominated the finals.

La Liga was absolutely f**king pony last year.

VVD was in the most competitive league and won the champions league beating all the top teams along the way.

4 English teams in the European finals but yeah La Liga is better!!!  :o ;D
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      Reply #1124: Dec 03, 2019 11:03:05 am
      I was saying Salah's current form is not good, especially compared to 2017/18 you numpty and you know that, you are just being a WUM again. I've come to the point of view that Salah is carrying an injury more than anything else but yes if his form does not start to improve soon then I would advocate replacing him with a better forward, someone like Mbappe perhaps.

So you think Messi playing in a team built around him for years in an easier league, where apart from 3-4 teams the rest are fairly average, did better in that season than Salah who came to a new league and a new team and tore up the Premier league which is widely regarded as the most competitive league in the world. If you really think that then you are either on the wind up or an idiot.

So apart from the top teams the rest are average? That's usually the script for most leagues fella, that's how they work. Do you think people in Spain sit there drooling over the likes of Bournemouth, Burnley, Everton & West Ham?

TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      Reply #1125: Dec 03, 2019 11:07:22 am
      4 English teams in the European finals but yeah La Liga is better!!!  :o ;D

Last 10 Years;

Europa League
      Finalists: Spain 7 : 6 England
      Winners: Spain 6 : 2 England

Champions League

Finalists: Spain 8 : 5 England

"b-b-b-b-but the man on Sky Sports said the BARCLAYS Premier League is the best in the world!!!"
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #1126: Dec 03, 2019 11:20:00 am
      Last 10 Years;

Europa League
      Finalists: Spain 7 : 6 England

Champions League

Finalists: Spain 8 : 5 England

"b-b-b-b-but the man on Sky Sports said the BARCLAYS Premier League is the best in the world!!!"

For F**k sake - we are talking about 2018/2019 in isolation!

What the F**k are you talking about. Messi bombed in their two biggest games.

Why can’t you accept it?

Quick Reply