Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Virgil van Dijk Player Thread (D)

Read 228258 times
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Re: Virgil van Dijk Player Thread
      Reply #1127: Dec 03, 2019 11:29:08 am
      Last 10 Years;

Europa League
      Finalists: Spain 7 : 6 England
      Winners: Spain 6 : 2 England

Champions League

Finalists: Spain 8 : 5 England

"b-b-b-b-but the man on Sky Sports said the BARCLAYS Premier League is the best in the world!!!"

I actually have my own mind and opinion and don't just follow what other people say blindly, you might have noticed that already ;-)

You cannot possibly argue that La Liga is stronger than the Premiership when the bottom half of their table is cannon fodder for the top 3-4 teams whereas in the Premier league you regularly have upsets and tight matches even between the top and bottom teams.

Look if you think the Spanish teams are better than us then good luck to you, go and watch Barcelona and Real Madrid beat team 4 or 5 nil every match, but I'll pick the Prem every day of the week for real excitement and proper tense games.
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      • He's five foot seven, he's football heaven
      Reply #1128: Dec 03, 2019 11:40:32 am
      For f**k sake - we are talking about 2018/2019 in isolation!

What the f**k are you talking about. Messi bombed in their two biggest games.

Why can’t you accept it?

He's been saying that the Premier League is overall a better League than La Liga which it isn't, that's the point I was making. English teams obviously out-performed the Spanish last year but pound for pound I still think it's a better league. One season isn't going to change that when every other season says the contrary.

Barcelona crumbled at Anfield but they aren't the first side to do that and they certainly won't be the last. Messi was still top scorer in the competition, as well as in his domestic league which he won with ease. I'm not even saying that Messi should have won (I personally think Virgil should have myself) I'm just pointing out that it's not some sort of travesty, injustice or conspiracy that he didn't.
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      Reply #1129: Dec 03, 2019 11:43:14 am
      You cannot possibly argue that La Liga is stronger than the Premiership when the bottom half of their table is cannon fodder for the top 3-4 teams whereas in the Premier league you regularly have upsets and tight matches even between the top and bottom teams.

Look if you think the Spanish teams are better than us then good luck to you, go and watch Barcelona and Real Madrid beat team 4 or 5 nil every match, but I'll pick the Prem every day of the week for real excitement and proper tense games.

Did you watch a different league to me least season? Nobody got within 25 points of the top 2
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #1130: Dec 03, 2019 12:03:00 pm
      Absolute joke VVD didn't win balon d'or.

Do we have to win the EPL, CL again and fa cup for him to be given it next year???

Farcical.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #1131: Dec 03, 2019 02:45:26 pm
      Did you watch a different league to me least season? Nobody got within 25 points of the top 2

Well either Barcelona and Real Madrid are much much better than Liverpool and City or the average opposition is much weaker, which is it?

I am not saying that there aren't very good teams in La Liga, obvious Barcelona, Real Madrid and Athletico Madrid are good teams but after that the quality drops off pretty quickly, I do not think the same is true of the Premiership where you have at least 10 good teams and the rest, bar relegation teams are also of a reasonable quality, compared to La Liga.

Anyway bored of this, we'll just have to agree to disagree I think.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #1132: Dec 03, 2019 02:57:06 pm
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #1133: Dec 03, 2019 03:52:05 pm
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #1134: Dec 03, 2019 04:01:34 pm
      Last 10 Years;

Europa League
      Finalists: Spain 7 : 6 England

Champions League

Finalists: Spain 8 : 5 England

"b-b-b-b-but the man on Sky Sports said the BARCLAYS Premier League is the best in the world!!!"

why do you think Pep, Jürgen and Maureen come to manage in the EPL because it is the most demanding league in World football.
      We took the game to Barca in Spain and everyone is still scratching their heads at the score line and at Anfield they simply could not cope with the intensity an intensity that we have to produce every week. The reason the England national team always fails at tournaments is because at the end of the season the players are fu**ed and that is confirmed by the managers who have managed them Capello and Erikson
      Boston not la
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,564 posts | 766 
      Reply #1135: Dec 03, 2019 04:20:29 pm
      Quick whine from me,VVD thread,arguing about which league is better? also La liga thread no f**ker bothers posting in.Good to see Virgil giving that tw*t morgan stick although he'd be better off just calling him the sun gobs***e that he'll always be.
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      Reply #1136: Dec 03, 2019 04:33:21 pm
      why do you think Pep, Jürgen and Maureen come to manage in the EPL because it is the most demanding league in World football.
      We took the game to Barca in Spain and everyone is still scratching their heads at the score line and at Anfield they simply could not cope with the intensity an intensity that we have to produce every week. The reason the England national team always fails at tournaments is because at the end of the season the players are fu**ed and that is confirmed by the managers who have managed them Capello and Erikson

Mourinho's managed in several different countries and so has Pep. They'll try their hand somewhere else again in the not too distant future. Pep could be at PSG or Juve in a few years time, Jose could be at Bayern. Carlo Ancelotti is another prime example of a manager who does this. I'm not saying the Premier League isn't a top league or attractive to managers, of course it is, but it isn't the be all and end all.

The reason England always fail is because they're sh*te & managed by clowns. And long may it continue
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #1137: Dec 03, 2019 05:08:20 pm
      Been shared between them because for the last decade Messi & Ronaldo have been head and shoulders above the rest. Apart from last year when it was bizarrely given to Modric I can't have many complaints about who the award has went to recently

That’s not true. Iniesta, whilst being a Barca player should have had it in 2010 and Ribery should have had 2/3 years later.

I believe this is the 10th anniversary of Messi winning his first so it was probably decided a long time ago he’d get it.
      rossyred
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,091 posts | 1632 
      Reply #1138: Dec 03, 2019 05:25:26 pm
      The fact that Mahrez was 10th tells you all you need to know
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #1139: Dec 03, 2019 05:59:26 pm
      The fact that Mahrez was 10th tells you all you need to know

Am I right in saying Walcott was top 50?
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #1140: Dec 03, 2019 06:07:44 pm
      He deserved it but this makes him to work harder to achieve next year :)
      rossyred

• 9,091 posts | 1632 
      Reply #1141: Dec 03, 2019 07:32:50 pm
      Am I right in saying Walcott was top 50?

Kin hell didnt see that only started taking notice from 20 down . What a sham it is
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #1142: Dec 03, 2019 08:34:40 pm
      Kin hell didnt see that only started taking notice from 20 down . What a sham it is

I might be wrong mate, just thought I had read it somewhere.
      rossyred

• 9,091 posts | 1632 
      Reply #1143: Dec 03, 2019 08:55:03 pm
      I might be wrong mate, just thought I had read it somewhere.

Can only find top 30 interestingly though just seen an article in Independent saying African votes putting Mane in front of Virgil cost him 16 votes and winning it . Also a Sri Lankan journalist in his top 5 didnt have Messi ,Ronaldo or VVD which sums up what a debacle it is
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #1144: Dec 05, 2019 05:05:10 pm
      Can only find top 30 interestingly though just seen an article in Independent saying African votes putting Mane in front of Virgil cost him 16 votes and winning it . Also a Sri Lankan journalist in his top 5 didnt have Messi ,Ronaldo or VVD which sums up what a debacle it is

I'm sure there being so many good Liverpool players hurt each of them in the voting.

But to be honest, I am not nearly as interested in this award or any individual award as the media seem to think I should be. You're always going to have the debate about this player's the best, that player's the best, the award is for best season, or most valuable to their side, or something else whatever it is. Let's just play the matches and see who the best teams are.

I like movies a good bit too, but I never watch the Academy Awards. Same for me with sport.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #1145: Dec 19, 2019 07:57:17 am
      Liverpool without VVD at the back are like Liverpool before VVD joined!

Never ever be unfit or get injured...........
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #1146: Dec 19, 2019 09:13:46 am
      Any idea what was wrong with him? They just saying he was ill? What kind of illness????
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #1147: Dec 19, 2019 09:16:35 am
      Liverpool without VVD at the back are like Liverpool before VVD joined!

Never ever be unfit or get injured...........

Well not made easier by having two midfielders in defence yesterday, puzzling why Jürgen didn't start Trent, but perhaps he wasn't 100% either.
      I think we might need to dip into the piggybank in January for another CB unless Matip, Fabinho and Lovren are soon back.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #1148: Dec 19, 2019 09:18:30 am
      Virgil had dheli Belly I think. ;D

Fab, Lovren & Matip will all be fit again in January. Cant see klopp buying anyone else. he will use the u23 lads as backup.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #1149: Dec 19, 2019 09:19:38 am
      Well not made easier by having two midfielders in defence yesterday, puzzling why Jürgen didn't start Trent, but perhaps he wasn't 100% either.
      I think we might need to dip into the piggybank in January for another CB unless Matip, Fabinho and Lovren are soon back.

Matip and Lovren should be back in the next 2/3 weeks.

Fabinho in late January.

Quick Reply