Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Virgil van Dijk Player Thread (D)

Read 228241 times
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,321 posts | 1016 
      Re: Virgil van Dijk Player Thread
      Reply #1173: Jan 02, 2020 10:14:51 pm
      frizzby5
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 18,362 posts | 627 
      Reply #1174: Jan 02, 2020 10:22:31 pm

Glad to know he uses protection!
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #1175: Jan 09, 2020 03:54:21 pm
      I think Virgil may have been give a short holiday by Klopp, maybe from Friday through Tuesday. Notice he wasn't involved in the training Tuesday evening. I don't think he has a particular knock. I know he has been left out training before to help manage his workload what with him playing most every game. If a brief getaway keeps him fresh, makes sense to me.

He will be back to bossing it in London this Saturday.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #1176: Jan 09, 2020 04:24:06 pm
      I think Virgil may have been give a short holiday by Klopp, maybe from Friday through Tuesday. Notice he wasn't involved in the training Tuesday evening. I don't think he has a particular knock. I know he has been left out training before to help manage his workload what with him playing most every game. If a brief getaway keeps him fresh, makes sense to me.

He will be back to bossing it in London this Saturday.

If so, he deserves it!
      thanks2shanks
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 286 posts | 28 
      Reply #1177: Jan 18, 2020 01:43:14 pm
      Latest issue of "When Saturday Comes" tells just how close VVD came to winning the BALLON D'OR for 2019. The article isn't up online, but it starts:

"The wafer-thin margin by which Lionel Messi was elected Ballon d’Or for a record sixth time is captured in one statistic: if eight of the 22 voters who excluded Virgil van Dijk from their five selections had instead given him their lowest preference, Liverpool’s Dutch defender would have pipped Messi by one point to win football’s most prestigious individual award.

If even seven had done so, Van Dijk would have taken the prize following a tied vote by securing a higher number of first preferences (69 to 61) from the 176 global football journalists (including this one) assembled by France Football to choose its Ballon d’Or."

It also says the average gap between Messi and VVD was 0.04 points per voter. 
      sms1986
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,182 posts | 453 
      Reply #1178: Jan 18, 2020 03:05:42 pm
      He'll win one and maybe more at some point, he's one of the very best players around at the moment.
      bmck
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #1179: Jan 19, 2020 06:41:56 pm
      Super header to break the deadlock today.
      And generally just played excellent at the back.
      What a player.
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #1180: Jan 19, 2020 06:54:51 pm
      Monster performance!

I’m 35 and scratching my head who could be a better CB in my lifetime. There were some good ones like Canavaro and Nesta but none have the arsenal of Virgil. The long range passing, goal threat, speed, tackling absolute complete package.
      « Last Edit: Jan 19, 2020 09:33:44 pm by Dadorious »
      GeorgeRed
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,590 posts | 324 
      Reply #1181: Jan 20, 2020 06:09:08 am
      Colossal performance, best CB in the world by a mile.
      Klopps Snood
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,631 posts | 1558 
      • CHAMPI9NS
      Reply #1182: Jan 21, 2020 12:12:50 pm
      Just the perfect player, we are so lucky to have him, a colossal of a player and the best we've had for a long time, so cool calm and collected, reminds me of Alan Hansen but with more. Brilliant.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #1183: Jan 21, 2020 05:59:02 pm
      I love it when he gives other players dirty looks if he has to actually run!
      bigbob75
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,264 posts | 280 
      • Let's talk about six
      Reply #1184: Jan 21, 2020 06:00:49 pm
      I love it when he gives other players dirty looks if he has to actually run!

Ha, bet he’s angry if he has to have a shower to wash off a bead of sweat.

AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #1185: Jan 21, 2020 10:51:28 pm
      I loved his eyes as he was running off to celebrate, looking at them Mancs, like F**k u, then he continued to run and he gave them another look. Was F***ing brilliant!
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #1186: Jan 22, 2020 12:17:14 am
      I loved his eyes as he was running off to celebrate, looking at them Mancs, like F**k u, then he continued to run and he gave them another look. Was F***ing brilliant!

AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #1187: Jan 22, 2020 02:07:47 am
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #1188: Feb 03, 2020 10:23:26 pm
      Hearing his agent has been busy getting some rumours out there that other clubs are interested. Coming up to 29 so one last big contract (was earning relative low wages at Celtic and Southampton) will be on the radar. A contract that he deserves and one that will in all probability come his way from us in the Summer. The length of contract will be interesting, like Gini I'm guessing he will be looking at 5 years.
      Klopps Snood
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,631 posts | 1558 
      • CHAMPI9NS
      Reply #1189: Feb 04, 2020 02:20:59 pm
      Hearing his agent has been busy getting some rumours out there that other clubs are interested. Coming up to 29 so one last big contract (was earning relative low wages at Celtic and Southampton) will be on the radar. A contract that he deserves and one that will in all probability come his way from us in the Summer. The length of contract will be interesting, like Gini I'm guessing he will be looking at 5 years.

Well no one can say he doesn't deserve a nice big lucrative contract, worth absolutely every penny we paid for him and has already more than proved his worth, where would we be without our rock in defence.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #1190: Feb 04, 2020 04:06:57 pm
      We must be making good money now and with the new deal these lads deserve to be amongst the very highest paid players in the league.
      I don't like players talking about contracts or their Agents it can be unsettling I think Jürgen will be the man to decide his future not his Agent and we all trust Jürgen he has a record of getting these things right
      sms1986
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,182 posts | 453 
      Reply #1191: Apr 07, 2020 04:31:43 pm
      https://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/features/391980-virgil-van-dijk-premier-league-five-a-side-team?fbclid=IwAR3FiObhoXrgOMBmw3yR79EJyARtPz9BjY_zhT1Y67YBJv9udMIrT4v_Ryc

Virgil van Dijk has selected his Premier League five-a-side team - but who makes the cut?

The only stipulation for the centre-back was that he couldn’t pick any of his Liverpool teammates in his preferred 1-2-1 formation.

So, read on to find out the quintet of opponents Van Dijk chose, and his reasons why, during an interview with Premier League Productions…

Goalkeeper: Ederson

I think he is an outstanding goalkeeper. I think this season there have been more better goalkeepers than we have seen maybe in the past, but I think Ederson is the best of the rest - I think Alisson is still number one, that’s my feeling.

Defender: Aymeric Laporte

He’s been showing how important he is for their team and I think he’s an outstanding defender. I think he’s a very, very, very good defender, so that’s why I pick him.

Midfielder: Kevin De Bruyne

It looks like it’s only City players! But Kevin De Bruyne, you don’t need to say too much about him. I think Kevin is a good guy first of all but he’s an outstanding player. You see things differently and yeah, respect only. He’s a fantastic player.

Midfielder: Son Heung-min

He’s quick, he’s strong, he goes out there to make life hell on the pitch for a defender. And his finishing – right foot, left foot – is just outstanding so I think I would pick him.

Forward: Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang

Based on what he has done throughout the season. Together Lacazette and Aubameyang are a fantastic striking duo. I could also put Aguero in but I think he’s a good striker and I think the numbers have showed that as well since he arrived.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #1192: May 22, 2020 01:21:52 pm
      On Football Focus tomorrow ..  23/5/20

Kompany rates Virgil as best defender ever in Premier League .

We already knew that ...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/football/52764747
      « Last Edit: May 22, 2020 01:30:28 pm by MIRO »
      Klopps Snood
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,631 posts | 1558 
      • CHAMPI9NS
      Reply #1193: May 22, 2020 05:14:38 pm
      On Football Focus tomorrow ..  23/5/20

Kompany rates Virgil as best defender ever in Premier League .

We already knew that ...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/football/52764747

Thanks for the heads up Miro, won't be missing this for sure.
      Klopps Snood
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,631 posts | 1558 
      • CHAMPI9NS
      Reply #1194: Jul 08, 2020 10:44:49 pm
      Happy Birthday to our brilliant centre back Virgil  :clap: boss game tonight  :)
      leosc
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 2,011 posts | 273 
      • Poetry in motion!
      Reply #1195: Jul 08, 2020 11:00:51 pm

Quick Reply