Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Virgil van Dijk Player Thread (D)

Read 228199 times
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6293 
      Re: Virgil van Dijk Player Thread
      Reply #1426: Jan 01, 2021 03:18:56 pm
      JĆ¼rgen speaking about Virgil's rehab progress on the official site:

ā€œGood, very good. I have no problem with talking about Virgil van Dijk. Itā€™s very good but still a long way to go, thatā€™s this kind of injury,ā€ said the Reds boss.

ā€œIā€™m happy when I see these videos, to be honest, because it just shows that he makes good progress. But it will still take a lot of time, thatā€™s how it is.

ā€œI would like to say something else but these are the facts, unfortunately.ā€

That last bit in bold, does he mean he wishes he could say Virgil is due back in training this week, or is he making a reference to the horror tackle that put him on the injured list in the first place?

Virgil isnā€™t coming back to training anytime soon. Thatā€™s a year rehab (for that injury) to be 100% for most normal athletes. Even being Superman, Iā€™d be surprised to see him again this season.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #1427: Jan 01, 2021 03:29:11 pm
      Virgil isnā€™t coming back to training anytime soon. Thatā€™s a year rehab (for that injury) to be 100% for most normal athletes. Even being Superman, Iā€™d be surprised to see him again this season.

I agree with that. For some reason with football, especially in England, there's this papering over how serious an injury it is and the strong chance that the  player won't be the same when he comes back, let alone needing to miss a long period of time before returning. He really wrecked his knee.
      CT_LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #1428: Jan 01, 2021 04:12:26 pm
      I agree with that. For some reason with football, especially in England, there's this papering over how serious an injury it is and the strong chance that the  player won't be the same when he comes back, let alone needing to miss a long period of time before returning. He really wrecked his knee.

Because it's a legitimate concern. These are tough injuries and while age 29/30 is very young in life that is not the case in football. When you are at THAT level of performance, a small drop can make a big difference. I follow hockey and the concerns are the same when an older player gets a severe knee injury such as Van Dijk's, or when a baseball pitcher gets a severe elbow/shoulder injury.

That is not saying Van Dijk won't be the same as before, but that the risk exists.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #1429: Jan 02, 2021 03:15:00 am
      Because it's a legitimate concern. These are tough injuries and while age 29/30 is very young in life that is not the case in football. When you are at THAT level of performance, a small drop can make a big difference. I follow hockey and the concerns are the same when an older player gets a severe knee injury such as Van Dijk's, or when a baseball pitcher gets a severe elbow/shoulder injury.

That is not saying Van Dijk won't be the same as before, but that the risk exists.

Not sure if you think you are contradicting me, but you are saying what I am saying. I understand it's a legitimate concern, but what I'm saying is that both with fans and the media, they talk about a player's return from serious injury like this as if it won't be a big deal for him to make it back, that it's just automatic he should be back in top form straightaway. I'm saying it's not a realistic way to look at it. We all want that for Virgil (or any injured player), but the players are not machines.
      ruthcity

• 6,867 posts | 1465 
      Reply #1430: Jan 02, 2021 08:30:04 am
      Not sure if you think you are contradicting me, but you are saying what I am saying. I understand it's a legitimate concern, but what I'm saying is that both with fans and the media, they talk about a player's return from serious injury like this as if it won't be a big deal for him to make it back, that it's just automatic he should be back in top form straightaway. I'm saying it's not a realistic way to look at it. We all want that for Virgil (or any injured player), but the players are not machines.

Why are you that reasonable? As a fan, I can only demand, expect and criticise in my favour. I can say anything I want without real impact other than getting into debate with people here. I can suggest alternatives without thinking through and bearing the real consequences. Or I could point out problems  without giving real solutions, even though my solutions may be amateur level.

Yes once fit to play, all those playing at the high level as before, should theoretically happen. Iā€™m here to demand. But Iā€™ll be disappointed due to the factors youā€™ve pointed out since no oneā€™s perfect. I could go mad and kickstart a new round of talking down on the team. In addition, I could show you how other teams are way ahead of us, blaming everybody else but meselfā€™s unrealistic expectations. When you remind me how unreasonable I am, I might oppose you for the sake of it. 

Iā€™m a typical fan.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #1431: Jan 02, 2021 09:53:58 am
      Why are you that reasonable? As a fan, I can only demand, expect and criticise in my favour. I can say anything I want without real impact other than getting into debate with people here. I can suggest alternatives without thinking through and bearing the real consequences. Or I could point out problems  without giving real solutions, even though my solutions may be amateur level.

Yes once fit to play, all those playing at the high level as before, should theoretically happen. Iā€™m here to demand. But Iā€™ll be disappointed due to the factors youā€™ve pointed out since no oneā€™s perfect. I could go mad and kickstart a new round of talking down on the team. In addition, I could show you how other teams are way ahead of us, blaming everybody else but meselfā€™s unrealistic expectations. When you remind me how unreasonable I am, I might oppose you for the sake of it. 

Iā€™m a typical fan.

Even better, you are MEGAFAN!
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #1432: Jan 02, 2021 05:20:13 pm

Agree. It'll be the new season before we see him again.
      bigbob75
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,264 posts | 280 
      • Let's talk about six
      Reply #1433: Jan 03, 2021 06:39:40 pm
      Agree. It'll be the new season before we see him again.

:f_wah:
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,111 posts | 896 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #1434: Jan 03, 2021 08:34:16 pm
      Pickford the c**t
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #1435: Jan 03, 2021 09:13:00 pm

Canā€™t stand that c**t, he fu**ed us
      rossyred

• 9,090 posts | 1631 
      Reply #1436: Jan 11, 2021 03:06:17 pm
      Some saying reckon back for end of March
      CT_LFC

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #1437: Jan 11, 2021 03:08:51 pm
      Some saying reckon back for end of March

That would be amazing. Now let's take a 4-week covid break from games.
      rossyred

• 9,090 posts | 1631 
      Reply #1438: Jan 11, 2021 04:16:17 pm
      That would be amazing. Now let's take a 4-week covid break from games.

Maybe a reason why no CB being pursued . I have my doubts personally but if running this month might just make it
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,111 posts | 896 
      Reply #1439: Jan 11, 2021 06:30:33 pm
      Maybe a reason why no CB being pursued . I have my doubts personally but if running this month might just make it

Even if Virgil returns early we still need a CB
      rossyred

• 9,090 posts | 1631 
      Reply #1440: Jan 11, 2021 07:33:42 pm

Even if Virgil returns early we still need a CB

Probably right but not happening I don't think
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Reply #1441: Jan 12, 2021 09:38:54 am
      Well with the horror tackle ( assault) that it was, if the perpetrator thought he would be suspended, for as long as the victim was injured, the tackle doesn't happen. Normal honest tackles sometimes result in injury to either player, but all out GBH is another matter. And that c**t Pickford still carries on as normal. Anyone seen him do that before or since he two footed Virgil ? No, thought not. Clearly intended to take him out when the opportunity arose in my opinion. He'd probably risk doing it again against any of our lads as well.
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,111 posts | 896 
      Reply #1442: Jan 12, 2021 04:52:02 pm
      Well with the horror tackle ( assault) that it was, if the perpetrator thought he would be suspended, for as long as the victim was injured, the tackle doesn't happen. Normal honest tackles sometimes result in injury to either player, but all out GBH is another matter. And that c**t Pickford still carries on as normal. Anyone seen him do that before or since he two footed Virgil ? No, thought not. Clearly intended to take him out when the opportunity arose in my opinion. He'd probably risk doing it again against any of our lads as well.

That where someone should have a word in the cu*ts ear, try anything like that and I will break your leg, same applies to the other c**t, who got Thiago but do we have anyone man enough to stand up to the cu*ts
      shawspeed
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 561 posts | 128 
      Reply #1443: Jan 12, 2021 04:59:41 pm

That where someone should have a word in the cu*ts ear, try anything like that and I will break your leg, same applies to the other c**t, who got Thiago but do we have anyone man enough to stand up to the cu*ts

Robbo can be a nasty jock when he wants
      rossyred

• 9,090 posts | 1631 
      Reply #1444: Jan 12, 2021 05:13:43 pm

Milner and possibly Fabinho are the only players I think who have put in any type of tackle that used to occur regularly  I am afraid the art of tacking is a thing of the past
      CT_LFC

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #1445: Jan 12, 2021 05:39:46 pm
      Milner and possibly Fabinho are the only players I think who have put in any type of tackle that used to occur regularly  I am afraid the art of tacking is a thing of the past

Football has been pussyified over the years just like society has. Zidane bitched the other day his precious players had to travel / play in the snow.
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,111 posts | 896 
      Reply #1446: Jan 12, 2021 06:36:37 pm
      Robbo can be a nasty jock when he wants

I do hope so because it's a type of player we miss
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,111 posts | 896 
      Reply #1447: Jan 12, 2021 06:39:51 pm
      Football has been pussyified over the years just like society has. Zidane bitched the other day his precious players had to travel / play in the snow.

The bitter bas**rds weren't playing like pussys in the Derby remember Allan was throwing himself about too
      rossyred

• 9,090 posts | 1631 
      Reply #1448: Jan 12, 2021 06:44:41 pm

100% Sometime glad my old man who is no longer us wouldnt have coped with society as it is old school

Quick Reply