Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Virgil van Dijk Player Thread (D)

Read 228196 times
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Re: Virgil van Dijk Player Thread
      Reply #1472: Feb 16, 2021 09:00:41 am
      Joe was absolutely fine before he got injured

I think he's a very good CB but he is injury prone, same as Matip and we need another CB to fight for the starting spot next to Virg, Per Schuurs from Ajax would be absolutely perfect.

One of your six seasons in one day Heimy.  ;D
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #1473: Feb 16, 2021 09:04:24 am
      One of your six seasons in one day Heimy.  ;D

Do you have problems with English comprehension?

Lets look at the two statements again:

"Joe was absolutely fine before he got injured" - Positive statement

"I think he's a very good CB but he is injury prone" - Positive statement but a note of caution regarding his injuries

Explain to me how it demonstrates a change of opinion, or apologise you Manc troll!
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #1474: Feb 16, 2021 09:34:55 am
      Do you have problems with English comprehension?

Lets look at the two statements again:

"Joe was absolutely fine before he got injured" - Positive statement

"I think he's a very good CB but he is injury prone" - Positive statement but a note of caution regarding his injuries

Explain to me how it demonstrates a change of opinion, or apologise you Manc troll!

Think youve missed the need another CB out Heimy.  ;D I do struggle with your interpretation of the English language yes.
      When you say things like this....

ah ok, not that I ever wish another team injuries but fairs fair.

and then change to this....

I'm hoping for lots of injuries, especially to Everton!

So yes i do struggle to comprehend.  ;D I'm more tha happy to be educated though. Can you enlighten me and im pretty sure many others who just might agree your six seasons in one day can get a tad confusing.  ;D

Maybe its you that needs to apologies.
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,053 posts | 82 
      Reply #1475: Feb 16, 2021 10:38:32 am
      The United lover is right. VVD is our only concern, alongside with Matip. The jury is still out on Gomez, but it's his second main injury.... VVD will be back 100%. He's a CB. Those guys do not need all these movement skills a midfielder or striker will need. Much better odds.

I do think VVD will come back sooner than many think. I see him an option for a CL semifinal.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #1476: Feb 16, 2021 12:02:38 pm
      Your only worry really Rob is Virgil, Joe needs replacing. Correct me if I'm wrong wasn't he playing really badly for a while just before he got injured ? He's not up to the plate anymore. Your absolutely right about the injury though. In some cases I read it can be 18 months before they get back to 100%.

:lmao:
      He's 23 and a top CB.

He's nowhere near his peak yet, and will only get better.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #1477: Feb 16, 2021 12:05:09 pm
      The United lover is right. VVD is our only concern, alongside with Matip. The jury is still out on Gomez, but it's his second main injury.... VVD will be back 100%. He's a CB. Those guys do not need all these movement skills a midfielder or striker will need. Much better odds.

I do think VVD will come back sooner than many think. I see him an option for a CL semifinal.

If you're referring to Keith, he's a good lad, has been on this forum a long time, and will doubtless still be around long after you're gone.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #1478: Feb 16, 2021 12:21:45 pm
      Your only worry really Rob is Virgil, Joe needs replacing. Correct me if I'm wrong wasn't he playing really badly for a while just before he got injured ? He's not up to the plate anymore. Your absolutely right about the injury though. In some cases I read it can be 18 months before they get back to 100%.

Disagree Keith,

Joe Gomez is a young man, he’s been very unfortunate with the injuries he has sustained, however, he has time on his side and with the kind of training he can get and that will suit him individually, there is no reason he can’t have a long career, it just needs to be managed differently from the norm,

It could well be he loses a yard in pace but even so he’ll still be quicker than a lot of fully fit CB’s out there, I wouldn’t be too hasty in giving up on this fella just yet, he has lots of time to improve and prove his doubters wrong, to come through what he already has is testament to his mentality, Paul McGrath with your lot couldn’t train two days running but look how well he performed, he ran as if he was in slow motion, but it’s how you read the game and what’s in front of you that makes the difference, Joe Gomez can do exactly that, and he has at least ten yrs on what Paul McGrath had ?

Y  N  W  A
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,018 posts | 2741 
      Reply #1479: Feb 16, 2021 02:08:41 pm
      VVD back in Liverpool. Definitely another step towards a return. Could mean he's 4-6 weeks away, maybe end of March or start of April.

Absolutely no chance.

Having him back in Liverpool could be a boost for the squad though, that's about as much influence VVD will have on this season.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #1480: Feb 16, 2021 03:11:40 pm
      The United lover is right. VVD is our only concern,

Who's that  ;D
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #1481: Feb 16, 2021 03:17:07 pm
      :lmao:
      He's 23 and a top CB.

He's nowhere near his peak yet, and will only get better.

Opinions  differ slightly on this one Shabs. I do remember him playing really but a month or two before he got injured he was having a really bad spell. I did think he was older than 23 though.  Yes he's still got time on his side  to improve but he will never reach the standard of VVD.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #1482: Feb 16, 2021 03:22:29 pm

Disagree Keith,

Joe Gomez is a young man, he’s been very unfortunate with the injuries he has sustained, however, he has time on his side and with the kind of training he can get and that will suit him individually, there is no reason he can’t have a long career, it just needs to be managed differently from the norm,

It could well be he loses a yard in pace but even so he’ll still be quicker than a lot of fully fit CB’s out there, I wouldn’t be too hasty in giving up on this fella just yet, he has lots of time to improve and prove his doubters wrong, to come through what he already has is testament to his mentality, Paul McGrath with your lot couldn’t train two days running but look how well he performed, he ran as if he was in slow motion, but it’s how you read the game and what’s in front of you that makes the difference, Joe Gomez can do exactly that, and he has at least ten yrs on what Paul McGrath had ?

Y  N  W  A

Like I've said before Billy, your memory exceptional and couldn't tell you re Paul McGrath. Obviously Rememeber Paul playing, you think Gomez was as good or better?
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #1483: Feb 16, 2021 06:12:20 pm
      Opinions  differ slightly on this one Shabs. I do remember him playing really but a month or two before he got injured he was having a really bad spell. I did think he was older than 23 though.  Yes he's still got time on his side  to improve but he will never reach the standard of VVD.

There I was sticking up for you, and you can't even get me f***in name right  :lmao:

SWAB   :lmao:
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #1484: Feb 16, 2021 06:15:47 pm
      There I was sticking up for you, and you can't even get me f***in name right  :lmao:

SWAB   :lmao:

Silly manc tw*t aren't I.  :lmao:

PS... Before you all agree F**k off.  ;D
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #1485: Feb 16, 2021 06:41:07 pm
      Think youve missed the need another CB out Heimy.  ;D I do struggle with your interpretation of the English language yes.
      When you say things like this....

and then change to this....

So yes i do struggle to comprehend.  ;D I'm more tha happy to be educated though. Can you enlighten me and im pretty sure many others who just might agree your six seasons in one day can get a tad confusing.  ;D

Maybe its you that needs to apologies.

;D six seasons in one day, do you mean 4 seasons in one day you fuckwit!

I'm happy to teach you English including colloquial sayings, maybe I can also point you to the correct forum for a manc c**t, hint it's not here. ;-)
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #1486: Feb 16, 2021 06:47:33 pm
      ;D six seasons in one day, do you mean 4 seasons in one day you fuckwit!

I'm happy to teach you English including colloquial sayings, maybe I can also point you to the correct forum for a manc c**t, hint it's not here. ;-)

Obviously gone over your head with the six seasons  ;D

Go ahead and teach me, just start a thread so we keep it on topic.
      Why the abuse button? Chill bro.
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,053 posts | 82 
      Reply #1487: Feb 17, 2021 10:45:44 am
      VVD did already run and train with the ball, did he? How can he not be at least somewhat close?
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #1488: Feb 17, 2021 11:11:34 am
      VVD did already run and train with the ball, did he? How can he not be at least somewhat close?
      Stop being a fuckwit.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #1489: Feb 18, 2021 04:53:09 am

Klopp on Feb. 2: “I don’t know where these things are coming from. No doctor told me there is a chance for Virgil to play in this season again. I don’t want to say that is absolutely impossible but it is not likely. It is not likely so we don’t have to discuss these things really. If we have space [on the squad list] we will put them all on even when the medical people tell us there is no chance. We put them on because we believe in miracles from time to time, but if there is no space then we have to consider these things and say the chances are not too big so we have to make a decision. But if they are on the list then it is only because we hope for nearly a miracle.”

Doubt he has trained with a ball unless he's just having a kickabout.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #1490: Feb 19, 2021 07:57:35 am
      Like I've said before Billy, your memory exceptional and couldn't tell you re Paul McGrath. Obviously Rememeber Paul playing, you think Gomez was as good or better?

Too early to say mate if I’m honest, but he certainly has the potential, PM was still playing at 36 I believe so Joe has plenty of time, the only concern I have is the intensity in which he plays, but then maturity is what separates the exceptional from the good, and Joe will have that in abundance before he reaches 30,
      if he can stay (major) injury free I’d say his prospects are very good, look at Jimmy Milner, I’m sure all the young lads do, he is 34 now, but stills holds his own with those half his age, if Joe takes a few pages from Millie’s book there’s no reason he can’t carry on beyond his 30’s either .

Y  N  W  A
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #1491: Feb 19, 2021 08:51:46 am

Too early to say mate if I’m honest, but he certainly has the potential, PM was still playing at 36 I believe so Joe has plenty of time, the only concern I have is the intensity in which he plays, but then maturity is what separates the exceptional from the good, and Joe will have that in abundance before he reaches 30,
      if he can stay (major) injury free I’d say his prospects are very good, look at Jimmy Milner, I’m sure all the young lads do, he is 34 now, but stills holds his own with those half his age, if Joe takes a few pages from Millie’s book there’s no reason he can’t carry on beyond his 30’s either .

Y  N  W  A

We defo differ on this one Billy  :D He was on such a bad run before he got injured, if you'd of had CB cover at the time I think he may of been dropped such was his dismal form at the time.

Comparing him with Milner a bold call  :o  He's a freak (( I mean that in a good way )) playing at such a high standard for so long, espically in our league too. With Gomez this is now his third long term injury and at only 23 that would be a concern for me.

When he did his ACL back in 2015 he was out for around 14 months. That was followed by another 4 months in 2018 season with ankle surgery. More recently as you know he now has a ruptured patella which normally take 5/6 months before you play again.

Personally, injuries like that normally take their toll on individuals unless your name is VVD who has quite a remarkable recover rate from what I've seen at Southampton & Liverpool. Obviously age on his side but will need to be in this case if your to get any longevity out of him.

If it was my decision (( you'll be glad it's not  ;D )) once he's right and played a few games I'd sell and replace him.

Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #1492: Feb 19, 2021 02:14:57 pm
      We defo differ on this one Billy  :D He was on such a bad run before he got injured, if you'd of had CB cover at the time I think he may of been dropped such was his dismal form at the time.

Comparing him with Milner a bold call  :o  He's a freak (( I mean that in a good way )) playing at such a high standard for so long, espically in our league too. With Gomez this is now his third long term injury and at only 23 that would be a concern for me.

When he did his ACL back in 2015 he was out for around 14 months. That was followed by another 4 months in 2018 season with ankle surgery. More recently as you know he now has a ruptured patella which normally take 5/6 months before you play again.

Personally, injuries like that normally take their toll on individuals unless your name is VVD who has quite a remarkable recover rate from what I've seen at Southampton & Liverpool. Obviously age on his side but will need to be in this case if your to get any longevity out of him.

If it was my decision (( you'll be glad it's not  ;D )) once he's right and played a few games I'd sell and replace him.

It should be clear by  now that under this manager, we don't buy players to sell them. Other than young players who don't end up making the grade, we don't really move to sell anyone. I think we've accepted bids for Origi and Shaq over the past three seasons but in both cases left it to the players whether they wanted to move, which they didn't. This policy of seeing out contracts is a very appealing one for most players, and I'm sure helps in our recruitment.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #1493: Feb 19, 2021 02:28:41 pm
      Obviously gone over your head with the six seasons  ;D

Go ahead and teach me, just start a thread so we keep it on topic.
      Why the abuse button? Chill bro.

Not abuse, its just banter isn't it ;-)

Explain the six seasons thing to me then, I always like to learn new things.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #1494: Feb 19, 2021 02:31:10 pm

Why are you saying that Joe was in bad form before he got injured, I really don't remember that.

Quick Reply